包括我们家 这里
Including where we live. Here.
对 就是那里
Yeah, right there.
但是 你知道吗 罗杰 没人会对我们扔原♥子♥弹♥
But, you know, Roger, no one is dropping atomic bombs on us.
但苏联人想啊
But the Russians want to.
你知道你辩护的那个苏联人吗
You know that Russian guy you’re defending?
他是来替投弹的人做准备的
He’s here to get things ready for the guys who drop the bombs.
不 那不是他的目的
No, he’s not here for that.
他根本不是苏联人
He’s not even Russian.
我们认为他是在北英格兰出生的
He was born, we think, in Northern England.
但他是苏联的间谍
Yeah, but he’s a spy for Russia.
我真不懂你在做什么
I don’t even understand what you’re doing.
你不是共♥产♥党员 为什么要替他辩护
You’re not a Communist, so why are you defending one?
因为那是我的工作
Well, because it’s my job.
你以前从不会这么做
It never used to be.
阿贝尔间谍案进入审判程序
掌握在陪审团手中
美国政♥府♥…
In the case of the United States of America…
起诉鲁道夫阿贝尔一案
versus Rudolf Abel…
针对起诉书的第一条罪行
as to the first count in the indictment…
你们的判决如何
how do you find the defendant?
被告有罪或无罪
Guilty or not guilty?
有罪
Guilty.
第二条
As to the second count?
有罪
Guilty.
第三条
As to the third count?
有罪
Guilty.
庭上 我请求撤销有罪判决
Your Honor, I make a motion to set aside these guilty verdicts…
重新评估证据
against the weight of evidence.
驳回
Denied.
陪审团解散
The jury is discharged.
谢谢你们各位
Thank you all.
我要补充 如果我是你们的一员…
I would like to add that, if I were one of you…
我也会做出相同的判决
I would’ve reached the same verdict.
宣判日为…
Sentencing will be…
11月15日
November 15.
死刑不是预料的结果
The death sentence is not a foregone conclusion.
别担心
Don’t worry.
我不怕死 唐纳文先生
I’m not afraid to die, Mr. Donovan.
不过…
Although…
那不会是我的第一选择
it wouldn’t be my first choice.
你忘了这个
You left this behind.
谢谢你
Thank you.
非常感谢你
Thank you very much!
你从没问我罪名是否属实
You’ve never asked me if the charges were true.
我是否真的是间谍
If I am indeed a spy.
刑事诉讼都是这样的
This is how we do it.
控告你的案子很重要
The case against you matters.
要他们证明你有罪很重要
Making them prove it matters.
假设…
The fiction is…
你有没有实施并不重要
Whether you did it or not doesn’t matter.
政♥府♥必须证明你是间谍
The state has to prove it, that you’re a spy.
所以你不好奇吗
So you’re not curious?
不 不好奇 我一直认为你是艺术家
No, not really. I always assumed you were an artist.
我太太 她是艺术家
My wife, she’s the artist.
她是莫斯科…
She’s a musician…
儿童乐团的音乐家
in the Children’s Orchestra of Moscow.
她演奏什么乐器
What instrument?
竖琴
The harp.
那她就是天使
Then, she’s an angel.
你那样站在那里
Standing there like that…
让我想到小时候常来我们家的一个人
you remind me of a man who used to come to our house when I was young.
我父亲曾说”看这个人”
My father used to say, “Watch this man.”
所以每次他来 我都看着他
So I did, every time he came.
而他从来没有…
And never once…
做过什么值得注意的事
did he do anything remarkable.
我让你想到他
And I remind you of him?
有一次 我大概是你儿子的年纪
This one time, I was about the age of your son.
我们家被边境游击队侵入
Our house was overrun by partisan border guards.
十几个人
Dozens of them.
我父亲被打 我母亲被打…
My father was beaten, my mother was beaten…
我父亲的这个朋友 也被打
and this man, my father’s friend, he was beaten.
我看着这个人
And I watched this man.
每次他被打倒
Every time they hit him…
就会再站起来
he stood back up again.
于是他们就更使劲打他
So they hit him harder.
他还是站了起来
Still, he got back to his feet.
我想是因为这样 他们才没继续打下去
I think because of this they stopped the beating.
他们放他生路
They let him live.
我记得他们这么说
I remember them saying it.
意思像是…
It sort of means, like…
“屹立不倒的人”
“standing man.”
屹立不倒的人
Standing man.
-你好啊 吉姆 -蜜莉 见到你真好
-Hello, Jim! -Millie, you’re a vision.
莫提正忙着梳理
Mortie’s busy getting kitted out.
进来吧
But come on in.
-来杯威士忌吧 -好 麻烦了 谢谢
-Scotch, Jim? -Yes, please. Thank you.
加一点点水就好
Just a drop of water.
阁下
Your Honor.
你好 吉姆 我正要出门
Hello, Jim! Just going out.
不过还有点时间
Got a few minutes though.
慈善晚宴 蜜莉很活跃
March of Dimes thing. Millie is active.
谢谢你见我
Thank you for seeing me.
我只是想表达我对判决的一点意见
I just wanted to give you my two cents on the sentencing.
我想也许 我该来府上打扰
And I thought maybe I should pester you at home…
我的论点并非全是灰色地带
as not all of my points are narrowly legal.
这案子就是那样
Yeah, well, it’s that kind of case.
我希望庭审时我没有太严厉 但的确就如你说的
I hope I wasn’t too scratchy during the trial but it’s exactly what you say.
这一切都属于法律的灰色地带
Nothing about this is narrowly legal.
因为背后有更重大的含义
There are bigger issues.
更重大的含义
Bigger issues!
谢谢你
Thank you, thank you.
先生…
Sir…
我想最符合美国利益的做法…
I think it could be considered in the best interests of the United States…
就是让阿贝尔活命
that Abel remain alive.
为什么
Why?
我是还没决定 但如果他愿意配合
I’m not saying I’ve made up my mind but if he was gonna cooperate…
与政♥府♥合作 他早就答应了
work with the government, he would’ve done it already.
-没错 但这件事…-我还没说完
-True, but the issue here… -Excuse me.
你不能说他在监狱里老死…
You can’t say it’s in the best interest of the United States…
最符合美国的利益
that he spend the rest of his days in a prison cell.
这怎么会符合国家的利益
How is this the national interest?
我不是指监禁这件事 先生
Not the incarceration itself, sir.
在可预见的未来
It is possible that, in the foreseeable future…
对等级别的美国人
an American of equivalent rank…
可能会被苏联俘虏
might be captured by Soviet Russia.
我们可能会需要有人可交换
We might want to have someone to trade.
哇
Wow.
这可能性也太不可能了
That sounds like spinning what-ifs.
你不如慢慢等吧
You could do that till the cows come home.
我从事保险业 讲求可能性
It’s my business, what-ifs. I’m in insurance.
这个论点合情合理
There’s nothing implausible about this one.
完全在可能的范围内
It’s entirely in the realm of what could happen.
人们买♥♥保险 就是为了这种可能性
It’s the kind of probability that people buy insurance for.
如果判这个人死刑 就会让我们完全丧失可能
If we send this guy to his death, we leave ourselves wide open.
没有备案
No policy in our back pocket…
无法应付风暴来临的那天
for the day the storm comes.
真会说话
Nice speech.
先生 还有人道的考量
Sir, there is also the humanitarian argument.
他应该为了尽忠职守而死吗
Should he die for doing the job they sent him to do?
好了 大律师
All right, Counselor.
我得走了
I gotta run.