Let me explain them to you.
请您听听我的理解
This is simply charm.
这幅真有魅力
Simple, creamy, English charm, playing tigers.
用简洁 细腻 充满英国风情的手法表现虎
But enough of art.
但艺术就说到这儿了
They tell me you are happy in love and that is everything, isn’t it?
我听说 您正沐浴爱河中 那才是您的一切 不是吗?
Or nearly everything.
或者接近一切了
Everyone’s talking about it.
所有人都在谈论这个
So, it’s Julia now. And it used to be Sebastian.
现在是Julia了 曾经是Sebastian
Do you think I should warn her?
我是不是该警告她一下呢?
Warn her about what?
警告她什么?
How apropos that you’d have chosen jungles for your canvas.
您以丛林作为油画的主题 是多么的恰当
I always thought you were the lamb to be slaughtered,
你一直认为您才是个待宰的羔羊
when all along it is they who are hunted.
一直以来都是他们在捕猎
There really is no end to your hunger, is there, Charles?
您永远都不会满足 不是吗 Charles?
Why do I feel so nervous? Don’t be.
为什么我会这么紧张呢? – 别紧张
Who are all these people? – Politicians, money men.
这些人都是谁? – 政♥治♥家 有钱人
Rex thinks there’s a war coming with Hitler.
Rex认为希♥特♥勒♥会引发一场战争
He wants to do well out of it.
他想从中得益
It’s all he talks about. – Hello, Julia.
他就说这么多 – 你好Julia
Hello, Rex. – Good evening, Rex.
你好Rex – 晚上好Rex
Mr. Ryder, welcome back to Brideshead.
Ryder先生 欢迎回到布赖兹赫德
I hear you’re making quite a name for yourself.
我听说您名声日加
Could I have a word with you? – Later, I have guests.
能跟您谈谈吗? – 一会儿吧 我还有客人
It’s cold.
真冷
Not here!
不能在这儿!
Sorry. – Let’s go back to London.
对不起 – 咱们回伦敦吧
Let me settle everything with Rex. – And then we’ll leave?
让我跟Rex把事情说清楚 – 然后再走?
Yes? Charles? – Yes.
好吗? Charles? – 对
If that’s what you want.
如果你想走的话
Hello, Bridey.
你好 Bridey
Hello, Julia. Just up from London? – Yes.
你好Julia 刚从伦敦回来吗? – 是啊
Welcome back to Brideshead, Charles.
欢迎回到布赖兹赫德 Charles
How’s your family? – Fine, thank you.
你家里人怎么样? – 很好 谢谢
Rex still entertaining? – He’s got business.
Rex还在招待客人吗? – 他有公事要谈
I’m sorry he’s not here. I have a little announcement to make.
很遗憾他不在这儿 我有点事要宣布
Well, come on. Out with it.
哦 是吗 说吧
I’m engaged to be married. – Congratulations, Bridey.
我订婚了 – 恭喜你啊 Bridey
Well, who is she?
是哪位姑娘?
No one you know. – Is she pretty?
你不认识 – 漂亮吗?
I don’t think you could exactly call her pretty.
不能说漂亮
“Comely” is the word I think of in her connection.
用”清秀” 来形容她更恰当些
She is a big woman.
她块头很大
Fat? – No, big.
胖吗? – 不 块头大
She’s called Mrs. Muspratt. Her Christian name is Beryl.
叫Muspratt夫人 教会名字是Beryl
But, Bridey, where did you find her?
可是 Bridey 你怎么认识她的?
Her late husband, Admiral Muspratt, collected matchboxes.
她的前夫 Muspratt司令 他收集火柴盒
You’re not marrying her for her matchboxes, are you, Bridey?
你不是为了火柴盒才娶她的吧 Bridey?
No, no.
不 不是
Matchboxes were left to Falmouth Town Library.
火柴盒留给法尔默斯城图书馆了
I’m just holding them for collection. Why are you laughing?
我正帮他们收集藏品 你笑什么?
I hope you’ll be very happy. – Thank you.
祝你幸福 – 谢谢
I think I’m very fortunate. – You sly, old thing.
我觉得自己很幸运 – 你这个老奸巨猾的家伙
When are we going to meet her? You must bring her here.
我们什么时候能见她啊? 你一定要带她来这儿
I couldn’t do that. – Why not?
我不能带她来 – 为什么?
Well, you must understand,
我想你能理解
Beryl is a woman of strict Catholic principle,
Beryl是个严守规矩的天主教♥徒♥
fortified by the prejudices of the middle classes.
由于中产阶级的歧视 她的规矩比平常人更严格
I couldn’t possibly bring her here.
我不可能带她来这儿
I don’t understand.
我不明白
It may be a matter of indifference to you,
对你来说 或许跟Charles沉迷于罪恶之中
whether or not you choose to live in sin with Charles,
是无所谓的事
but on no account would Beryl consent to be your guest.
但因为此 Beryl绝不会答应做你的客人
How dare you talk to her like that?
你怎么敢这么跟她说话?
Bloody offensive thing to say!
这话太伤人了!
Really, there was nothing she could object to.
没有说错吧?
I was merely stating a fact well known to her.
我只是在陈述一个众所周知的事实
Take no notice of him, my darling.
别理他 宝贝儿
So,
那么
got you. Sorry about the delay.
找到你们了 抱歉推迟了谈话
I’ll be outside.
我在外面等
The door? Door’s made from all the works of Dickens.
这是门面 看见了吗? 都是狄更斯的作品
I had it installed especially. Want one?
里面的东西很特别 来一杯吗?
No, thank you.
不了 谢谢
I know what you’re thinking.
我知道你在想什么
How vulgar can it get? You wanna know the secret?
这多粗俗啊? 告诉你一个秘密
I do it on purpose.
这是我蓄谋的
It amuses me to offend their delicate sensibilities.
能触动他们敏感的神经 是件有意思的事儿
So, you wanna take my wife off me?
你想抢走我老婆吗?
You know she can’t marry a divorce, right?
你知道她不能跟离过婚的人结婚的吧?
Against the rules. – Well, at least she’ll be free of you.
不合规矩 – 至少她可以获得自♥由♥
She’ll never be free.
她永远不会自♥由♥
Don’t pretend you’ve been faithful to her.
别装成一副很了解她的样子
Who said anything about faith?
谁提了解不了解的事儿了?
I bet you’d love to get your hands on the house, though, wouldn’t you?
我敢打赌你还看上这宅子了 没错吧?
All those pretty paintings. All those pretty views.
那么多漂亮的画 那么多漂亮的景色
Let her go, Rex. You never loved her.
放手吧 Rex 你从没爱过她
The only thing you ever had in common was religion.
你们唯一的共同点就是宗教信仰
Wrong. When I decided to marry Julia, I wasn’t a Catholic.
错 我决定娶Julia的时候还不是天主教♥徒♥
I converted before the wedding.
是婚礼前刚换的信仰
Bet she didn’t tell you that.
她没跟你说这部分
I guessed. – Oh, yeah?
我猜是的 – 哦是吗?
You’re the type.
你就是这种人
You people,
你们这种人
you never learn.
你们从不吸取教训
You could have had it all if you’d been a little more flexible.
超微懂点儿变通 你就能得到一切
I did what I had to do.
我做了该做的
They want a Catholic, I’ll convert to Catholicism.
他们要个天主教♥徒♥ 我就改信天主教
It’s a great religion.
多棒的信仰啊
You sin all you want, then you confess. Problem solved.
任意做恶 然后去忏悔 问题就解决了
You gotta woo these people.
你要得到这些人的支持
This family don’t live in the real world.
这家人根本不是活在现实世界里
They’re mortgaged up to the hilt. – Get to the point.
他们的抵押贷款高到难以想象 – 回到主题吧
You want my wife? Make me an offer.
想要我老婆? 要给我好处
I’m not just giving her away. – Don’t do this. It’s demeaning.
我不会白白让出她的 – 别这么做 自降身段啊
Try a little harder.
再来点儿狠的
You’re a rich man, Rex, you’ve already got what you wanted.
你是有钱人Rex 你想要的都有了
You can never have enough of what you want.
欲望是无穷无尽的
No, you’re right.
不 你是对的
You’re taking her off my hands. That’s a favor.
你把她带走 也是帮我个忙了
I’ll tell you what I’ll do.
我告诉你我要什么
You give me a couple of your jungle pics, and I’ll give you an annulment.
你送我两幅丛林画 我还你一份离婚协议
I hear you’re worth collecting.
听说你的画值得收藏
Come on, Charlie boy, say yes. You know you want to.
来啊 Charlie宝贝儿 答应啊 我知道你想
You don’t have to speak.
你不用说出来
Just nod.
点头就行
I’ll have my driver take me to London.
司机会送我去伦敦
He can pick up the paintings in the morning.
早上可以去拿画
You know she’s mad. Can’t even give you children.
你知道她疯了吧 不能生育
Lost the only one we had.
我们唯一的孩子流产了
Julia?
Julia啊?
I’m so sorry. I didn’t know.
对不起 我不知道
It’s just a shock. – Shh.
这是个打击 – 嘘
Shh. Don’t.
嘘 别
I’ve always known, ever since nursery.
我早就知道 自打幼儿园开始
I tried to be good, I really did. I tried. I married Rex.
我就尽力做个好孩子 真的 我努力了 还嫁给了Rex
All through the backgammon and cigars, I tried.
从双陆棋到雪茄烟 我都尽力做好
But it’s not enough. It’s never enough.
可这些不够 永远都不够
God had to punish me.
上帝要惩罚我
So he took my little stillborn…
所以他带走了我的孩子…
My child. My girl.
我的孩子 我的女儿