I’m fine, but your mother is going to be worried sick.
昨晚上我给她打电♥话♥了
I called her last night.
跟她说我在路易斯家过夜
I told her I was spending the night at Louis’.
没事的
It’s cool.
你… 怎么样了
So h-h-how are you?
孩子 我很好
I’m fine, son.
我…
I–
怎么说呢
I–
我找了些在门诊
I took these painkillers
剩下的止痛药
that I had left over from my surgery,
然后自以为是地
and I made the brilliant decision
就着点儿啤酒吃了
to wash them down with a couple of beers.
我承认 这不太明智
Not my most sterling moment, I admit,
不过我还好
but I’m fine.
昨天我真想过去
I wish I could take back last night.
你过生日 这些事情本来不该让你知道
It was your birthday. This shouldn’t be on your mind.
没事的
It’s okay.
怎么能没事呢
No, it’s not okay.
我是你父亲
I’m your father,
不希望
and I don’t want
昨天会是…
last night to be–
我是说你千万…
I mean, you really–
你千万别把我想成…
you can’t think of me like…
想成什么
Like what?
我不明白
I don’t understand.
我父亲死时候我才6岁
My father died when I was 6.
这个你知道吧
You knew that, right?
知道
Yeah.
他得了亨廷顿氏舞蹈症
He had Huntington’s Disease.
这个病…
It’s–
会损坏大脑某些区域
destroys portions of the brain,
影响到肌肉控制 会变成痴呆
affects muscle control, leads to dementia.
这病很难治
It’s just a nasty disease.
还是遗传的
It’s genetic.
我母亲很怕我也得了这个病
It terrified my mother that I might have it,
在我小时候就给我做了检查
so they ran tests on me when I was a kid,
不过我没事
but I came up clean.
我四五岁时候
My father fell very ill
父亲病得很重了
when I was 4 or 5.
天天住院
He spent a lot of time in the hospital.
我母亲…
My–
我母亲说了很多父亲的事
My mother would tell me so many stories about my father.
她不停地讲他
She would talk about him all the time.
我知道了他的个性
I knew about his personality,
如何待人接物
how he treated people.
甚至我都知道他点什么样的牛排
I even knew how he liked his steaks cooked–
三成熟
medium rare.
跟你一样
Just like you.
我了解了自己的父亲
I knew things about my father.
知道他很多情况
I had a lot of information.
因为别人会给我讲
It’s because people would tell me these things.
这就为我勾勒出
They would paint this picture
一个父亲的形象
of my father for me,
我也总是假装
and I always pretended
那就是真正的父亲
that was who I saw, too,
记忆中的父亲
who I remembered,
其实不是这么回事
but it was a lie.
实际上 我对父亲真正的
In truth, I only have one real,
回忆只有一样
actual memory of my father.
应该就是在他临去世时候
It must’ve been right before he died.
我母亲带我去看他
My mother would take me to the hospital to visit him,
闻到的那种味道
and I remember the smell in there,
消毒水的味道
the chemicals.
就像是他们
It was as if they use up
用尽了方圆50英里内
every single cleaning product they could find
所有的清洁剂
in a 50-mile radius…
就为了不让人闻到病人身上的味道
like they didn’t want you smelling the sick people.
到处是刺鼻的来苏水和漂白剂味儿
Oh, there was this stench of Lysol and bleach.
你能感到那味道一直冲到肺里
You could just feel it coating your lungs.
总之 病床上躺着的
Anyway, there, lying on the bed,
就是我的父亲
is my father.
他…整个人抽作一团
He’s all… He’s all twisted up.
我妈妈
And my mom,
把我抱在怀里
she puts me on her lap.
自己坐在病床上我父亲身边
She’s sitting on the bed next to him
好让我能看到他
so I can get a good look at him…
可是他的样子让我害怕
but really he just scares me…
他直盯盯地看着我
and he’s looking right at me…
我甚至都不确定他知不知道我是谁
but I can’t even be sure that he knows who I am.
你奶奶一直在说话
And your grandmother is talking,
强颜欢笑 她一贯是那样的
trying to be cheerful, you know, as she does,
可是我唯一记得的
but the only thing I could remember
就是他的呼吸
is him breathing.
那是一种…一种
Oh, this… this…
空洞的声响
this rattling sound,
像是有人在摇晃一只空喷漆罐
like if you were shaking an empty spray-paint can.
就像他整个人已经被抽空了一样
Like there was nothing in him.
总之
Anyway…
这就是我对父亲的全部真实记忆
that is the only real memory that I have of my father.
我不想你记忆中的我是昨晚的样子
I don’t want you to think of me the way I was last night.
我不希望我走了之后
I don’t want that to be the memory you have of me
留给你的是那样的印象
when I’m gone.
记住那样的你
R-Remembering you that way…
也没什么不好
wouldn’t be so bad.
只记得你过去一年来的样子
The bad way to remember you would be the way…
才是不好的
the way you’ve been this whole last year.
至少昨天晚上
At least last night you were…
你是真实的
you were real.
知道吗
You know?
再见
Bye.
有地方要去吧
Somewhere you should be?
只是临时的停业而已
Basically it was a temporary hiatus,
您等上两周
but you give us two weeks,
我们就百分百恢复运营了
we will be up and running 100%.
好 您商量好再联♥系♥我 成吗
All right, you talk to your people and get back to me. Okay?
谢谢 塔尼亚
Yeah, thanks, Tanya.
好 放心吧
Okay, you bet.
替我跟孩子们问好
Say hi to the kids for me.
你好
Hey. Hi.
真是意外呀
Nice surprise.
什么事
What’s up?
我想过来看看 你近来如何
Just thought I’d swing by, see how things were going.
我这两天
Well, things are…
转运了
…things took a turn.
说来比较神奇
It’s kind of crazy.
是吗
Oh, yeah?
我猜这就叫天无绝人之路
I think the universe is trying to tell me something.
我有好消息 非常好的消息
I’ve got some good news, some very good news,
正在张罗重新开业
and getting the business going again.
我想我们停业时间不长
Yeah, I figure we haven’t been down long,
老客户应该还可以拉回来
so we should be able to get most of our old contracts back.
坐吧
Sit down.
谢谢
Oh, thank you.
那…那真是
That’s… gosh, that’s…
太好了
that’s wow.
怎么做到的
How is that even possible?
我意外得到一笔资金注入
I got a very unexpected cash infusion.
可能是有人在暗中帮我
Guess someone’s looking out for me.
可能是吧
I guess so.
外面那车是你的吗
Is that yours outside?
对 你也知道

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!