你不比别人疯
I don’t think you’re any fouer than anybody else.
你是那样想的 我不介意
Yes, you do. Everybody does. And I don’t mind.
当顶尖的疯子也是件好事
It’s useful being top banana in the shock department.
你做什么工作
What do you do, anyway?
-我猜我是个作家吧 -你猜 难道你不知道
-I’m a writer, I guess. -You guess? Don’t you know?
好吧 肯定语句
Okay. Positive statement. Ringing affirmative.
我是作家
I’m a writer.
我只跟过一个作家约会 那就是萨宾利
The only writer I’ve ever been out with is Benny Shacklett.
他写过不少电视剧 但是个小人
He’s written an awful lot of television stuff, but quel rat.
告诉我 你是个真正的作家吗
Tell me, are you a real writer?
别人会买♥♥你的书 或替你出版作品吗
I mean, does anybody buy what you write or publish it or anything?
他们买♥♥箱子里的东西
They bought what’s in that box.
是你写的吗
Yours?
这堆书吗
All these books?
那只有一本书
Well, there’s just the one book.
只是十二本相同的书
Twelve copies of it.
“九命 韦保罗著”
“Nine Lives by Paul Varjak.”
短篇小说
They’re stories.
共九篇
Nine of them.
说一个给我听
Tell me one.
那不是可以说的故事
They’re not the kind of stories you can really tell.
太猥琐吗
Too dirty?
是的 但只是偶尔才出现
Yeah, I suppose they’re dirty, too, but only incidentally.
主要是愤怒 敏感 热情
Mainly they’re angry, sensitive, intensely felt,
最猥琐的还是 前途无限
and that dirtiest of all dirty words, promising.
这是1956年10月1日的时报书评中写的
Or so said The Times Book Review, October 1st, 1956.
-1956年 -是的
-1956? -That’s right.
这问题有点卑鄙 你最近写过什么作品
I suppose this is kind of a ratty question, but what have you written lately?
我最近正在写小说
Lately I’ve been working on a novel.
-最近 自从1956年起吗 -写小说很花时间
-Lately, since 1956? -Well, a novel takes a long time.
-我不想有差误 -不写短篇小说了
-I want to get it exactly right. -So no more stories.
我不该把天分
Well, the idea is
浪费在小事上
I’m supposed to not fritter my talent away on little things.
我该把它留起来干大事
I’m supposed to be saving it for the big one.
告诉我 你每天都写作吗
Tell me, do you write every day?
是的
Sure.
-今天呢 -也有写
-Today? -Sure.
-这打字机好棒 -当然了
-It’s a beautiful typewriter. -Of course.
它只写敏感 热情和前途无限的文章
It writes nothing but sensitive, intensely felt, promising prose.
但它没有色带
But there’s no ribbon in it.
-没有吗 -没有
-There isn’t? -No.
你今早说的话
You know, something you said this morning has been
令我整天不安
bothering me all day.
哪些话
What’s that?
他们真的给你50块钱上化妆室吗
Do they really give you $50 whenever you go to the powder room?
当然了
Of course.
你一定做得很好
You must do very well.
我尝试储蓄 但我并不成功
I’m trying to save, but I’m not very good at it.
你很像我的弟弟费特
You know, you do look a lot like my brother Fred.
十四岁后 我便再没见他 我在那年离家
I haven’t seen him, of course, since I was 14. That’s when I left home.
他那时已有6尺2寸高
And he was already 6’2″.
一定是花生酱的功效
I guess it must have been the peanut butter that did it.
他狼吞花生酱的样子令大家以为他是疯子
Everybody thought he was dotty the way he gorged himself on peanut butter.
但他可不疯
But he wasn’t dotty.
他很可爱 有点茫然和很迟钝
Just sweet and vague and terribly slow.
可怜的费特 他正当兵
Poor Fred. He’s in the army now.
在我储到足够的钱前 当兵是最佳的选择
It’s really the best place for him until I can get enough money saved.
-然后呢 -然后费特和我
-And then? -And then Fred and I.
我曾到过墨西哥
I went to Mexico once.
那儿很适合养马
It’s a wonderful place for raising horses.
我见过一个近海的地方
I saw one place near the sea that.
费特很擅长养马
Fred’s very good with horses.
但在墨西哥买♥♥地也要花点钱
But even land in Mexico costs something.
银行户口里的钱
And no matter what I do, there never seems to be more than
总是不足数百元
a couple of hundred dollars in the bank.
已经四点半了
It can’t be 4:30.
不可能的
It just can’t.
你介意让我跟你睡一会儿吧
Do you mind if I just get in with you for a minute?
不会有事的
It’s all right. Really, it is.
我们只是朋友而已
We’re friends, that’s all.
我们是朋友 对不
We are friends, aren’t we?

Sure.
好吧
Okay.
别再说话了
Let’s don’t say another word.
好好睡觉吧
Let’s just go to sleep.
费特 你在哪儿
Where are you, Fred?
因为这儿很冷
Because it’s cold.
风里飘着雪
There’s snow and wind.
怎么了
What is it? What’s the matter?
你为什么哭
Why are you crying?
若我们真的要成为朋友 先弄清楚一件事
If we’re going to be friends, let’s just get one thing straight right now.
我讨厌别人探听我的事
I hate snoops.
亲爱的费特
请原谅昨夜的事 你可以今晚六时许来我家喝一杯吗
你的朋友 高霍莉
-喂 -露西 这是2E
-Yeah. -Lucille, darling? 2-E.
我一直在找你
I’ve been trying desperately to reach you.
比尔回来了
Bill just got back.
那家伙早一天回来
A day early, the beast.
恐怕我不能来了
So I’m afraid I’ll have to beg off.
请代我跟其他太太们说一声
You’ll explain to the rest of the girls?
你真好
You’re a darling.
明天相约吃午餐吧
Maybe we can have a long lunch tomorrow.
我明早再找你
I’ll phone you in the morning.
随你喜欢吧
Whatever you say.
我不来行吗
And you will manage to survive without me tonight?

Sure.
我可以尽情写作
I might even take a wild, boyish fling at writing.
-晚安 -晚安
-Good night. -Good night.
被制成标本吗
You got yourself stuffed, huh, Polly, baby?
活该 大嘴鸟
Serves you right, big mouth.
-你好 -什么
-Buongiorno. -Huh?
你喝不喝酒
Aren’t you drinking?
你把它藏在口袋吗 你叫什么名字
You got pockets there or something? What do you go by?
你尊姓大名
What’s your name? What’s your name? What do you call yourself?
-艾云 -很好听的名字
-Irving. -Perfect. Perfect.
艾云宝贝
That’s wonderful, Irving.
我很快回来 艾云宝贝
I’ll be right back, Irving, baby.
小家伙还在浴室里 她知道你会来吗
Yeah? Whoa! Kid’s still in the shower. You expected?
我是应邀 你是指这个吧
I was invited. That what you mean?
别那么紧张 进来
Now don’t get yourself all tense and sore, pal. Come on in.
很多人都是不请自来的
It’s a party. There’s a lot of characters come around here, they’re not expected.
要喝点什么 你喝酒吧
I’ll buy you a drink. You drink?
-喝 -那我请你
-Yeah. -Then I’ll buy you a drink.
好呀
Okay.
甜心 你的裙子有一道裂缝
Hey, honey, your skirt’s split there.
-你要喝什么 -波旁威士忌
-What do you drink, kid? -Bourbon.
波旁威士忌
Bourbon?
-加冰块吗 -好 不 加水吧
-On the rocks? -Yeah. No. With water.
你最初想加冰块 是吗
All right, you want rocks first, though, don’t you?
-是的 -那加冰吧
-Yeah. -Good, you got them.
-别太多 -来 这能使你轻松一下
-Not too much. -All right. That’ll set you free.
-你认识小家伙很久了吗 -不 我住在楼上
-You know the kid long? -Not very. I live upstairs.
你说笑吗 看这儿
You’re kidding. Boy, look at this place, will you?
像个垃圾堆 真难以置信
What a place. It’s unbelievable. What a dump.
你认为怎样
What do you think?
-关于什么 -她是不是
-About what? -Is she or isn’t she?
等等 慢着
Wait a minute. Hold it.
-哈丽 -J.B. 你好
-Harriet. -Hi, J.B.
J.B. 我是O.J 你是谁
“J.B.”? O.J. What is that?
你好
All right. Hello there.
-你认识吉尔吧 -幸会

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!