Or am I?
你是这样想吧
Is that what you really think?
我和那些小人没分别
That I’m no different from all your other rats and super-rats?
等一会
Wait a minute.
若你
If that’s it,
若你真的这样想
if that’s what you really think,
我有点东西给你
there’s something I want to give you.
这是什么
What’s that?
上化妆间的50块钱
$50 for the powder room.
我不敢邀你进来
I wouldn’t ask you in, except the place is in such a mess.
-但我不能独自面对混乱的房♥子 -有口讯给你
-I couldn’t bear to face it alone. -You have a message.
别动
No.
真棒
Olé.
雄志先生 晚上好
Good evening, Mr. Yunioshi.
保罗 晚上好
Good evening, Paul.
晚上好
Good evening.
晚上好
Good evening.
请来帮忙
Please, you must help me.
霍莉
Holly.
霍莉 霍莉
Holly. Holly.
霍莉
Holly.
-霍莉 霍莉 -放开我 不要
-Holly. Holly. -Let me go. No!
霍莉
Holly.
-霍莉 -费特 费特
-Holly. -Fred. Fred.
霍莉
Holly.
不 不
No, no.
费特
Fred.
费特
Fred.
-你对她做了什么 -什么也没做过
-What did you do to her? -Nothing.
她看过电报后便这样
There was a telegram, and then this.
打破东西 像疯了一样
Crashing everything, conducting like a crazy. It’s appalling.
我不能惹上绯闻 这样很棘手
I can’t have a public scandal. It’s too delicate.
我的声誉 地位 家族
My name, my position, my family.
警♥察♥会再来吗
Will there be the police again, do you think?
不会 在家里捣乱并不犯法
I don’t see why. There’s no law against busting up your own apartment.
-电报在哪儿 -在那儿
-Where is the telegram? -There it is.
“收到通知说 费特”
“Received notice. Young Fred killed
“在堪萨斯州赖利堡的吉普车意外中死亡”
“in jeep accident, Fort Riley, Kansas.
“你的丈夫和孩子为此难过”
“Your husband and children join in the sorrow of our mutual loss.
“信件稍后附上 爱你的医生”
“Letter following. Love, Doc.”
是她的弟弟费特
Her brother Fred.
他们很亲密吗
This brother, was she very close to him?
是的
Yeah.
有什么可做的
What can one do?
尝试帮她
Try to help her.
我尝试过了 但没有作用
I tried. It didn’t do much good.
你在巴西有牧场吗
You got a ranch or something down in Brazil, don’t you?
是的
Yes.
那就好了 她喜欢这样
That’s good. She’ll like that.
那么你进去吧
Well, you better get in there.
飞来巴西
-你好 -你好
-Hi. -Hello.
我收到电报 你怎找到我
Got your wire. How did you know where to reach me?
我用尽方法 四处打听
Oh, I tried everything. Called people, asked around,
突然想起电♥话♥簿
and suddenly thought of looking in the phone book.
你能来 我很高兴
Anyway, I’m glad you could come.
-你很漂亮 -你认为是吗
-You look fine. -You think so?
我胖得像猪 多月来没理发
I’m fat as a pig, and I haven’t had my hair done in months.
但我很快乐 你也许看得出来
But I’m happy, really happy. It probably shows.
你也很风度翩翩
You look très distingué yourself.
我有工作 我最近在写作
I got a job. I’ve been writing a little.
我看过你三篇小说
I know. I’ve read three of your stories.
两篇刊在纽约人杂♥志♥ 一篇刊在有趣的杂♥志♥内
Two in The New Yorker and one in that funny little magazine.
请坐吧
Won’t you sit down?
谢谢你
Thank you.
-我在学编织毛衣 -原来如此
-I’ve taken up knitting. -So I see.
编织好后应该很美
It’ll probably look very nice once it’s finished.
其实我也有点紧张
Actually, I’m a little nervous about it.
荷西把新牧场的蓝图带来
Jose brought up the blueprints for a new ranch house he’s building
我猜他把那蓝图
and I have this strange feeling
和编织指南换掉了
that maybe the blueprints and my knitting instructions got switched.
我不可能编织一座牧场大屋
I mean, it isn’t impossible that I’m knitting a ranch house.
真的 我的快乐真不可言喻
Really, darling, I can’t tell you how divinely happy I am.
那是什么
What is that, anyhow?
葡萄牙语 很复杂的语言
Portuguese. A very complicated language.
有四千个不规则动词
Four thousand irregular verbs.
好棒 那是什么意思
Very impressive. What’s it mean?
“我认为你与刽子手勾结”
“I believe you are in league with the butcher.”
霍莉 什么事
Holly, what’s this about?
你为什么找我
Why did you want to see me?
荷西在华盛顿
Jose’s in Washington for the night,
我想若我找你 你会来
so I thought if I asked you over, you might come.
我要跟我关心的人道别
And, well, I’ve said goodbye to everyone else I care about.
你到别处去吗
You’re going somewhere?
我明天到里约热内卢
I’m going to Rio tomorrow.
我已跟沙利道别
I’ve got the plane ticket, and I’ve even said goodbye to old Sally.
荷西跟你同去吗
Jose is flying down with you?
我们坐不同的飞机
We’re going on separate planes, of course.
我们不该一同起行
He doesn’t think it would look right for us to be traveling together.
他的家族很有名望
His family’s very important down there,
所以他很担心
so he has to worry about things like that.
我会大显身手做一顿饭
Anyway, I thought I’d show off and cook dinner for us.
在家吃饭很有趣
It’ll be fun eating in.
我告诉过你我很快乐吗
Did I tell you how divinely and utterly happy I am?
是的
Yes.
你会结婚吗
You are getting married, then?
他还没有求婚 只字不提
Well, he hasn’t really asked me, not in so many words.
四个字
Four, you mean?
求婚只需说四个字
Well, that’s how many words it takes.
“请嫁给我”
“Will you marry me?”
我们会结婚的 一定会
Oh, we’ll get married, all right. I know we will.
在教堂里 他的家人全来观礼
And in church and with his family there and everything.
也许因此他等回到里约热内卢才说
And that’s why he’s waiting till we get to Rio, probably.
你认为这有什么意思吗
Do you think it’s trying to tell us something?
我希望你喜欢鸡煮藏红花饭配上朱古力酱
I hope you like chicken and saffron rice served with chocolate sauce.
那是东印度食品 亲爱的
It’s an East Indian classic, my dear.
三个月前 我连炒蛋也不会
Three months ago, I couldn’t scramble eggs.
你没事吧
Are you all right?
天 我本想讨你喜欢的
Golly, darling. I did so want to impress you.
其实
Look,
我也不喜欢鸡配酱汁的
I’m not much for chicken with sauce, anyway.
不如到外边吃 我替你饯行
Why don’t we go out somewhere? Let me buy you a farewell dinner.
若我能这样上街就好了
That would be fun, as long as it’s someplace I can go like this.
好多年后
Years from now,
我会回来
years and years, I’ll be back.
带着我那九个巴西小鬼
Me and my nine Brazilian brats.
他们会像荷西一样有黑皮肤
They’ll be dark like Jose, of course,
但眼睛会又绿又美
but they’ll have bright, green, beautiful eyes.
我会带他们回来看看这城市
I’ll bring them back, all right, ’cause they must see this.
我爱纽约
Oh, I love New York.
那么你为何要走 这对你有何好处
Then why are you leaving? What’s in it for you, anyway?
我明白你的想法 但我不责怪你
Look, I know what you’re thinking, and I don’t blame you.
我总是说这种花言巧语
I’ve always thrown out such a jazzy line.
除了医生和你 荷西是第一个不是小人的情人
Really, except for Doc and yourself, Jose’s my first non-rat romance.
他不是我理想中的依归
Not that he’s my idea of the absolute finito.
他太正经谨慎了
He’s too prim and cautious to be my absolute ideal.
若我可以选择的话 我不会挑荷西
Now if I could choose from anybody alive, I wouldn’t pick Jose.
尼赫鲁 或者是施韦策
Nehru, maybe, or Albert Schweitzer.
或是伯恩斯坦
Or Leonard Bernstein.
但我很爱荷西
But I am mad about Jose.
若他要求 我会戒烟
I honestly think I’d give up smoking if he asked me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!