比美国任何其他行业都要糟
of any industry in the United States of America.
甚至比煤矿开采业还糟
Even worse than coal mining.
事情并非一直如此
It wasn’t always this way,
实际 第一部叙事电影
in fact, the very first narrative film,
最早用胶片讲故事
the very first use of film to tell a story
而非仅记录已存在事件的影片
versus just documenting an existing event,
就有一位女性主体 一位女性主角
features a woman subject, a woman protagonist
它也是由一位女性——制片人 编剧兼导演
and was created by a woman, producer, writer, director
爱丽丝·盖伊·布拉切在1♥8♥9♥6年制♥作♥的
Alice Guy Blaché in 1♥8♥9♥6.
在好莱坞早期 在默片时代
During early Hollywood, during the silent era,
有相当数量的女性
there was a significant amount of women
都在这个崭新的行业内工作
working in the new industry
有着相当强的力量和艺术自主性
that had a significant amount of power, of artistic agency.
这对女性导演来说是非常特殊的一个时刻
This is a really special moment for women directors.
多萝西·达文波特的《红色和服》
[Nina] “The Red Kimono” by Dorothy Davenport
表现了主角内心的
expresses the inner subjective experience
主体性体验
of the main character,
剧情是这个角色被迫卖♥♥春
who was forced into prostitution.
而一旦开始向有声片转变
Once the transition to sound takes place,
华尔街就开始染指电影业 因为这一向有声片的…
Wall Street is brought in because the transition
转变带有巨大的融♥资♥需求
to sound has significant financial demands
于是华尔街那种男性化文化就开始
and so the masculinized culture of Wall Street then begins
构建好莱坞
to structure Hollywood.
如今 我们最迫切的需要
The most pressing need today
就是开始促进资本流通
is to start the flow of capital
以推动行业发展
which turns the wheel of the industry.
于是女性被迫离开这些职位
Women are maneuvered out of these positions
被迫交出艺术和创造力量 而在其后的四十年里
of artistic, creative power, and then for 40 years
只有两位女性在好莱坞拍过长片
there were only two women making feature films in Hollywood,
多萝西·阿兹娜和艾达·卢皮诺
Dorothy Arzner and Ida Lupino.
要看就看吧 我又不羞
Go ahead and stare, I’m not ashamed.
笑啊 看个够本啊
Go on, laugh, get your money’s worth.
又没人会伤害你
Nobody is going to hurt you.
我知道你们想让我脱了我的衣服
I know you want me to tear my clothes off
好看个够本 不浪费你们掏的50美分
so that you can look your 50 cents worth.
花50美分换来盯着女孩儿看的特权
50 cents for the privilege of staring
而你们的老婆可不会同意让你们这么干
at a girl the way your wives won’t let you
这样 在节目结束后 你们就可以回到家
So that you can go home when the show is over
在老婆和情人面前趾高气昂地走来走去
and strut before your wives and sweethearts
扮一会儿“更强壮的性别一方”了 是吗?
and play at being the stronger sex for a minute?
我敢肯定她们就像我们一样 能一眼就看穿你们
I’m sure they see through you just like we do.
多萝西·阿兹娜的女性角色自己定义自己
Dorothy Arzner’s women defined themselves
非常美丽动人
and very beautifully so.
可惜的是 她只是一个罕见的例外
Sadly, she was a rare exception
而男性视角又持续控制了电影(行业)
and a male perspective continued to control cinema
长达数十年
for decades.
我认为好莱坞的历史经常…
I think the history of Hollywood often times, you know,
将一些事视为理所当然 比如让导演这个词直接等于
has made it so that the word director is synonymous
男性导演
with a male director.
这已经持续了很多年了
You know, that’s what it has been for many years
而如今仍然如此
and still is, I think, to this day.
我从未想过
I, you know, I never thought,
噢 我要去上学读书成为一名电影导演
oh, I’m going to go to school and be a film director.
从前你不会这么说
You didn’t say that back then.
也许我可以成为一名剪辑师或场记
Maybe I could be an editor or a script supervisor
或者其他女孩儿能在电影制♥作♥中做的工作
or some other job that girls could do on a movie.
我读书时从没想过这个
Never occurred to me when I was in school,
我一直读到拿到硕士学位
went all the way through and got a Master’s degree,
都没想过我可以成为一位导演
never occurred to me that I could be a director.
不 其实我想和你聊聊
No, actually I wanted to talk to you
道恩的项目:《真实生活》
about Dawn’s project, “Real Life”
那可能就是赛瑞斯一直想找的项目
It could be exactly what Cyrus is looking for
而我想找个大导演来执导
and I was thinking somebody really big to direct,
也许找潘妮·马歇尔?
maybe Penny Marshall?
什么?闭嘴 听好 记住了
What? Shut up listen and learn.
别找女导演 她们会排卵
Avoid women directors, they ovulate.
在我开始为拍摄《大地的女儿》
By the time I started prepping to make
开始做准备的时候
“Daughters of the Dust”
我已经清楚意识到 我是一名AFI毕业生
I was very much aware I was, you know, a graduate of AFI,
一名UCLA毕业生
a graduate of UCLA,
我已经清楚意识到摄影机放置的观点性
and I was very much aware of point of view camera placement.
所以我让我的摄影机对准女性圈子
So I very much placed my camera within the circle,
对准女性文化内部
within the culture of women.
我想要描绘之前
I wanted to depict something
从未被展现过的内容
that had never been seen before.
我在商店橱窗内 看到每个女人都有个粉色的…
I saw a pink satin case for jewelry for each woman
缎子珠宝盒
in a shop window
我自己买♥♥不起那个盒子
I couldn’t afford that case for myself
也没让任何人为我买♥♥
And I didn’t ask nobody to buy it for me, you know
但在我脑中 我把所有糟糕的记忆
but in my mind I put all those bad memories
都装进那个盒子 锁起来
in that case and I locked them there.
我不让那个盒子里的任何记忆
I don’t let nothing in that case
或盒子外的任何人告诉我我是谁
or nobody outside the case tell me who I am
以及我对自己该怎么看
and how I should feel about me.
是的 1991年 我们拍出了作品 去了圣丹斯
Yeah, in 1991, when we did, when we were at Sundance
我拍了《大地的女儿》
and I had “Daughters of the Dust”
你拍了《方块皇后》
and you had “Queen of Diamonds”
我们好像被推挤成了背景陪衬
we were kind of like pushed to the background,
像是在应付:“干得不错 姑娘们 迟些见”
it was like “Nice job, girls. See you later. ”
而其他在那儿的男性电影人
And all of the other filmmakers who were there
之后确实一路往前走 拍了…
who were male did go on to make, you know,
在那之后拍了很多 很多电影
many, many films after that.
我本来坚信到了世纪之交时
I would’ve sworn that by the turn of the century
会有50%的电影人
that there will be 50% of people making films
是女性
would’ve been women.
由此 一整套关于影像和…
And due to that, the whole way of thinking
性别的思考方式
about the image and about gender
会被完全转变
would’ve been completely transformed.
但现在回想起来 我们实际上取得的进步
And it just seems extraordinary thinking back,
真是少的不可思议
how little progress has actually been made.
当我带着我的第一部长片去参加圣丹斯时
You know, when I went to Sundance with my first feature,
我找不到经纪人 也找不到发行商
I couldn’t get an agent and I couldn’t get a distributor.
我会请和我通信的男性经纪人
You know, and I would have male agents write me
去看我的电影 然后他们会说:“不对我口味”
to see the film and then they would say “it’s not for me
或说“这不是我要找的”
or it’s not what I’m looking for. ”
然后你会看他们的名单
And then you would look at their rosters,
这还是2013年的事
like this was just 2013,
我会看他们的名单
you know, I would look at their rosters
名单里的全是男性
and their rosters were all male.
然后我就明白了:“OK 我知道你们在找什么了”
Then it’s like “okay, well, I know what you’re looking for. ”
这算哪门子的“加密语言”?
You know, what kind of coded language is that?
21部参加竞赛的电影里还是只有3位女性导演
[Nina] There’s still only 3 women in competition out of 21 films.
而那是因为电影节主席说:
And that’s because the director of the film festival said,
“我们找的是最好的电影”
“we just look for the best films.
“那和性别无关”
It has nothing to do with gender,
“我们只是在找最好的电影”
we just look for the best films. ”
恕我直言
With all due respect,
这种说法并没反映出对多元化概念的…
this comment does not reflect very much understanding
多少理解
of the concept of diversity
也显然并不明白好电影是通过观众对其内容
and the way that the idea of good film is created
的感同身受来界定的
through identification with what is being shown,
那就是我们…
that’s how we…
“我爱这部电影 我与它感同身受”
I love this film, I relate to this film
因为 因为它对我有种感召 是吧?
because, because it talks to me, right?
那才是我们定义何为好电影的方式
That’s how we define what a good film is.
烧了它们!
Burn ’em!
放下手♥机♥
Put down the cellphone.
快让开
Get out of the way.
我找不到时机!
I can’t get a shot!
凯瑟琳·毕格罗的电影《拆弹部队》
So Kathryn Bigelow’s film “Hurt Locker”,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!