The night before we left, I couldn’t sleep.
出发前的那一宿 我怎么都睡不着
I couldn’t stop thinking about Chris Kanew,
翻来覆去想着克里斯·肯尼
and how he quit,
想他辞职的事
and all the things he said.
想他辞职时候说的话
Brad, I loved working with you so much,
布拉德 我是真挺喜欢当你伙计的
and I learned a lot from you, but this job has made me…
你呢 教了我不少 但是这个活吧
kind of depressed.
让我挺压抑的
I thought about how I’d taught this kid everything I knew,
我对这小子可以说是倾囊相授
and how he was my only employee,
我就这么一个员工
and… how pathetic it all was.
结果呢 简直是悲剧
Then my mind drifted to the dinner party.
然后我就想到那顿饭
And the Architectural Digest.
想到《建筑文摘》
She has a teenage daughter.
她女儿十几岁吧
They call that…
他们说那个…
Oh, is that it? Okay. Yeah.
是吗 就那个吗 对对
We were talking about cheese. You got to try this.
我们刚说到奶酪 来尝尝这个
This is, like, an imitation Comté.
吃着很像孔泰奶酪
Really? But instead of organic…
是吗 不过不是有机的
Isn’t that your friend from college?
那不是你大学同学吗
Brad has this friend from college…
布拉德有个大学同学
I knew Nick had become rich and successful, but…
我知道 尼克现在是成功人士了
I felt gut-punched.
我可就扎心了
I felt like the world was rubbing my nose in something.
我感觉这个世界在针对我
So many friends from college have become successful.
大学同学一个比一个有出息
Nick Pascale was a big movie director in Hollywood,
尼克·帕斯卡成了好莱坞大导演
living this crazy, decadent life.
过得那叫一个腐朽堕落
Jason Hatfield had his own hedge fund.
杰森·哈特菲尔德自己搞起了对冲基金
Obscenely rich.
富得都流油
Owns three houses.
名下三处豪♥宅♥
Big philanthropist.
又是大慈善家
Billy Wearslter sold his tech company at 40.
比利·韦斯勒卖♥♥了40万的公♥司♥
He’s already retired, living a life of leisure in Maui.
提前退休 在小岛上安度晚年
Craig Fisher worked for the White House.
克莱格·菲舍在白宫上班
He’s written all these best-sellers.
写的书全脱销
Always on TV.
天天上电视
It’s stupid to compare lives.
虽然说跟人攀比很没意思
But when I do,
但是每次一比
I feel somehow I failed.
我就感觉我有点失败
And over time, these feelings get worse.
而且越比 感觉越失败
Brad. Shit.
布拉德 哎呦
You okay?
没事吧
What the hell? You just… you just hit me in the face.
你搞什么鬼 打到我的脸了
Oh, sorry.
呃 对不起
It’s okay.
算了
Can’t sleep. Mm.
失眠了 哦
How much do you think your parents’ house is worth?
你说 你父母的房♥子能值多少钱
My parents’ house?
我爸妈的房♥子
I don’t know.
我不清楚
Like, uh, two million?
有两百万吗
Two and a half?
还是两百五十万
I don’t know.
不知道啊
You never thought about it?
你就没想过吗
What does it matter?
我想它干嘛
Well, aren’t you getting the house when they die?
等他们去世了房♥子不该归你吗
When they die?
他们去世了
I think they’re considering leaving it all to the grandkids.
我觉得他们可能会留给孙子们吧
What do you mean?
这什么意思
Like, splitting everything between the grandkids.
就是把财产都分给他们的孙子们啊
What? Steve has three kids.
开玩笑 史蒂夫有三个儿子呢
He’s already rich. We only have one. How’s that fair?
他还那么有钱 咱们家就一个儿子 亏了啊
It’s not up to me.
我说了又不算
They also talked about just giving it all to charity, so, who knows?
他们还考虑过要不要把房♥捐了呢 谁知道
Seriously?
你逗我吧
That’s absurd.
这太扯了
Seriously, that’s mean.
真的 这也太抠了
You work for a nonprofit, and you think that’s absurd?
你自己都经营非盈利组织 还嫌人家抠门
Right, I work for a nonprofit. You work for the government.
是啊 我这里非盈利 你又给政♥府♥办事
We need the money.
我们缺钱啊
Look, I’m gonna be so distraught when my parents die,
我爸妈去世了我伤心都来不及
I’m not gonna give a fuck about the money.
哪还有心思管这种破事
Really?
真的啊
Not at all?
一点也不想吗
Think you will.
我觉得你会的
What about your dad?
那你♥爸♥怎么样
You have money coming to you.
你怎么不等着来钱
Oh, he’s an academic. I mean…
哎 他是个搞学术的
two hundred thousand, maybe.
大概 也就有二十万吧
Well, that’ll help pay for Troy’s college.
够交孩子大学的学费了
Is that why you’re worrying about money?
你是不是在担心这事
We’ll be fine.
我们会没事的
We’ll figure it out.
总会有办法
We didn’t work this hard to end up dying in a flophouse, you know?
我们累了一辈子 不能老死在一个蜗居里 知道吗
All right, you’re freaking me out.
好了 你吓着我了
I just feel like we’re running out of time.
我就是觉得 我们已经没时间了
It’s like there’s no more potential.
也没什么回转的空间
This is it.
左右就这么着了
We’ve plateaued.
尘埃落定了
It’s not like there’s gonna be some…
很难再有什么
windfall that, you know, suddenly changes our situation.
突然的转机 让我们平步青云
I mean…
就是说
We’re not poor, Brad. I kn…
我们又不穷 布拉德 我知…
In some circles, yeah.
在某些圈子里 是不穷
Oh, what circles? The one percent?
你想进什么圈子 千里挑一吗
We have a great life.
咱们过得挺好的
Go to sleep.
快睡吧
Do you think you should talk to your parents?
你说要不要问问你♥爸♥妈
Then we’ll get some clarity.
把这事说清楚了
You and I are done. I love you.
咱俩也就这样了 我爱你
Please shut up.
你赶紧闭嘴吧
Troy?
特洛伊
Troy, are you up?
特洛伊 你起床了吗
Oh, yes. Hello.
哦 是的 你好啊
What is your name?
你叫什么名字啊
I know your name.
我知道你叫什么
You have ten minutes.
给你十分钟时间
Uh, yeah, I’m ready. I just got to put on my clothes.
我这都弄好了 穿个衣服就行
Can you give me a second?
你能让我待会吗
Yeah.
哦
You have, like, the body of a man now.
我说你 体格像个大人了啊
Hey, Dad, can you not be weird? ‘Cause I’m stressed.
爸 你别这么大惊小怪的 让我有点不自在
Okay.
好吧
Can you close my door?
能把门关上吗
Yeah.
好
Can you close the door?
把门关上成吗
Yeah.
哦对
Yeah, it looks good. Did you bring a jacket?
看着挺不错 外套带了吗
Yeah. Okay. It’s gonna get cold.
带了 那就好 那边有点冷
Yeah. Oh,
知道了
I think you guys are gonna like this.
肯定会很顺利的
Yeah, I think it’ll be good, I guess.
嗯 我想也不会有事的
On the ride to the airport,
去机场的路上
I kept thinking about what Chris Kanew said.
我一路都在想克里斯·肯尼的话
So, wait a minute, you’re going into banking?
你等等 你是说要去银行工作
Look, Brad, I honestly think I can do so much more good
布拉德 我真的觉得我是能赚大钱的人
by making a lot of money and then giving it away,
然后把赚的钱都捐出去
instead of spending all my time asking other people
而不是整天拉着别人
for their money to give away.
让他们捐钱
You know what I mean?
你懂我意思吧
You have all the hotel information, right?
酒店的资料你都拿到了吧
Yeah, Mom. It’s on my phone.
拿到了 妈 都在我手♥机♥上