玛丽安是我的好朋友
Mary Ann is a lifelong friend of mine.
她到欧洲去之前来看过我们 她回来以后,我相信她会连络的
She was visiting on her way to Europe. She’ll be in touch on her return.
没有这个必要
Although it’s not required.
遗嘱进行验证的时候, 签名的见证人通常都到不了
Witnesses of a will’s signing are often unavailable…
这不是标准作法
…when it enters into probate. It’s not standard, by any means.
爱德蒙沃克的死并不普通
Edmund Walker’s death was not standard.
对不起,我搞糊涂了 遗嘱的真实性有什么问题吗?
I’m confused. Is there some question as to the authenticity of the will?
我也一头雾水
I’m confused too.
你觉得证人或签名有问题吗?
You have a problem with the witnessing…
你到底要说什么?不是
…or the signatures? What are you getting at?
恐怕问题在别的地方
I’m afraid the problem lies elsewhere.
有人介意我抽烟吗?
Would anybody mind if I smoked?
我不需要烟,我只要呼吸空气就行了
No, I don’t need my own. I’ll just breathe the air.
目前为止一切都很好
Everything’s in order to there.
问题是遗产分给海泽的措词
The problem comes in the language of the bequest to Heather.
是技术上的事
It’s a technical matter.
撰写遗嘱的时候,恐怕罗辛先生违反了所谓
In writing the will, Mr. Racine violated what’s known as…
“反对永久拥有的原则”
…”the rule against perpetuities.”
该项原则禁止遗产无限地传给后代
It forbids an inheritance to be passed on indefinitely for generations.
我知道迈阿密有一位遗产检验法官 一眼就能看出这个错误
I knew that a probate judge in Miami would spot the mistake right away…
所以我就把遗嘱带到欧奇兰大郡来 既然爱德蒙的住所在这里
…so I thought I’d bring it up here, since Edmund had the residence here…
我想是不是能侥幸碰到一位 不太了解房♥地♥产♥法的法官
…and see if I could get a judge who didn’t know estate law as well.
或许找到一位跟罗辛先生有同样训练的人
Perhaps find one with the same kind of training as Mr. Racine.
可惜我的计划适得其反
Unfortunately, my plan backfired.
我碰到一位跟罗辛先生交过手的法官
I ran into a judge who had other dealings with Mr. Racine…
是康斯坦萨法官
…a Judge Costanza.
四年前有一宗遗产案好像出过问题
It seems there were problems with an estate in a case 4 years ago.
虽然是截然不同的问题
Very different problems, it’s true…
不过罗辛先生准备过一份相当乱的遗嘱
…but on a will that Mr. Racine prepared. It was quite a mess.
你被控作事草率表现失职 我想他称之为郭桑案
Accusations of carelessness and malpractice. It was the Gorson case.
是郭森
Gourson.
哈汀先生,你又把我搞糊涂了
Once again, Mr. Hardin, you’ve lost me.
是啊,这是什么意思呢?
Yes, what does this all mean?
意思是恐怕爱德蒙的遗嘱是无效的
It means that Edmund’s will is invalid.
爱德蒙沃克死了没留遗嘱 就像没有立过遗嘱一样
Edmund Walker died intestate, as though there were no will at all.
那现在怎么样?
So what happens now?
你不知道?
You don’t know?
我不知道
No, I don’t.
也许罗辛先生可以告诉你
Perhaps Mr. Racine would like to tell you.
在佛罗里达州,一个人死了如果没立遗嘱
In Florida, when a person dies without a will…
又没有小孩或在世的父母
…and with no children or surviving parents…
那么配偶就继承一切
…then the spouse inherits everything.
我的天哪
My God!
你是说都是我的?
You mean… it’s all mine?
不过这很显然不是你先生的意思
Though that was clearly not your husband’s intention.
我的天哪
My god!-
他希望海泽能受益
He intended Heather to benefit.
那当然
Of course.
当然,我了解,那当然
Of course, I understand.
你穿黑衣服很好看
You look good in black.
我好想你,我需要你
I’ve missed you so badly. I need you.
起先我想不通你怎么能 弄到我的文具跟别的东西
I didn’t know how you got my stationery. Then it came to me.
后来我想通了爱德蒙的签名一定是假造的 我不会说我的签名无效
Edmund’s signature was a snap. I wouldn’t challenge mine.
别说了,我不怪你现在恨我
Please stop. I don’t blame you for hating me right now.
你真的动手了,马蒂 你真的动手了
You have really done it, Matty. You really have!
今天晚上你来好不好?
Will you come to the house tonight?
现在我比以前更需要你
I want you more now than I ever have.
我知道你的感受可是…
I know how you must feel…
拜托你今天晚上来
…but please come tonight.
希望你不会害死我们
I hope you haven’t done us in.
你们好
Hi, guys!
请进,就当在自己家一样
Just come on in. Make yourself at home.
对不起 不是我
Sorry. – Not me.
门没锁,引诱人家干坏事 就是因为那种行为才让 奥斯卡的差事这么难办
It was unlocked, inviting illegal entry, which makes Oscar’s job hard.
抱歉,奥斯卡,想喝啤酒吗?
Sorry, Oscar. You guys want a beer?
不用,我喝过一罐了
No thanks. I already had one.
耐德你怎么会跟这个 马蒂沃克搅和在一起?
How did you ever get involved with this Matty Walker?
什么意思?我是说她是毒药
What do you mean? – I mean, she’s poison.
她老公的死,你知道些什么?
What do you know about his death?
我从报上知道他是烧死的,好像有人纵火
What I read. He died in the fire. Looks like arson.
就是纵火
Was arson.
好吧,就是纵火
Okay, it was arson.
你不知道是他在搞鬼结果弄砸了
You don’t know if he set it and fucked up…
还是有人故意弄成那样的
…or if that’s how someone wanted it to look.
不是他搞的,有人把他打死了
He didn’t set it. Someone offed him.
那个地方是他们那帮人的对不对?
His people owned the place, right?
没错
That’s right.
而且是一群凶神恶煞
And a very rough group of fellows too.
可能是他们想除掉爱德蒙 不过
Possibly they wanted to cut Edmund out, but it isn’t…
这么做实在不高明
…a very neat way to handle it.
对,不像他们的作风 他们手法干净利落,宁可毁了你却不杀你
It’s not their style. They’d rather destroy you than kill you.
而且他们讨厌引人注意
And they hate publicity.
我对伤心的寡妇比较感兴趣
I’m more interested in the grieving widow.
她的小姑也有很多意见 今天差一点就不能自♥制♥
Her sister-in-law has ideas too. She could barely contain herself today.
我见识过了
I noticed that.
她想等着看马蒂怎么分她遗产
But she’ll see how Matty treats her on the estate.
她不想撕破脸 你是怎么扯进来的?
Doesn’t want to blow it. – How’d you get involved?
他们请我重写遗嘱 我跟她和爱德蒙见面
They asked me to redo the will. I met with her and Edmund.
事情很简单
It was pretty simple.
这个玛丽安辛普森跟我一起作证 沃克觉得没什么大不了的
Mary Ann Simpson witnessed it too. Walker didn’t think it was a big deal.
就这样?就这样
That’s it? – That’s it.
这个辛普森又是怎么回事?
What was Simpson’s story? – I don’t know.
我不知道,她刚好路过 是他们家的老朋友,长得很漂亮
She was passing through. Old friend of the family’s. Good-looking.
正好到欧洲去?
On her way to Europe?
护照处的人没有记录
The passport people didn’t have any record of it.
你觉得怎么样?
What do you think?
他太太怎么样?
About the wife?
我想是有可能,我对她了解不多 只是有过数面之缘
Guess it’s possible. I don’t know much about her except what I’ve seen.
结果怎么样我都不会意外
It wouldn’t shock me.
我有感觉她不是好东西
I have a feeling she’s very bad news.
听我的劝离她远一点
Take some intelligent advice. Stay away from her.
这次他说得没错
He’s right, for once.
很抱歉
Well, I’m sorry, guys.
我办不到
I just can’t do that.
为什么?
Why not?
拜托你看看她好不好
For one thing, did you get a look at her?
本来是没什么意义的 只是今天她开始对我示好
That wouldn’t be so meaningful, except today she came on to me…
如果你还没听说她就快领到一大笔钱
…and that lady is about to come into lots of money.
而且她请我今天晚上过去 我会去…
She invited me there tonight and I’m going, and I’ll keep on going…
只要她要我
…as many days or nights…
不管什么时候我都会去
…or weekends as she’ll have me.
耐德,有一天你的好色会给你惹来大祸
Someday your dick is going to lead you into a very big hassle.
那个女的可能谋杀亲夫了
She may have killed her husband.
彼得,她杀了我继承不了什么东西的
Yeah, but she won’t inherit anything by killing me.
再说也许她会跟我痛快地亲热一番
Besides, maybe she’ll try to fuck me to death.
耐德你从前坏过事,将来还会 这是你的本性
You’ve messed up before and you will again. It’s your nature.
不过从前一直都是小事 这一次可不是
But they’ve always been small-time. This might not be.
她是祸水,很难缠 麻烦,大♥麻♥烦
She’s trouble. Real thing, big-time, major league trouble.
你要小心
Watch yourself.
我跟玛丽安一起离开惠顿到芝加哥去
Mary Ann and I left Wheaton together and went to Chicago.
我们不知道自己在做什么
Didn’t know what we were doing.
我染上很重的毒瘾 吃兴♥奋♥剂♥上瘾
I got into bad trouble with drugs. Speed.
真的很惨
Real bad.
我做过一些事…
I did things that…
你根本想像不到
Worse than you can imagine.
我以为我会死 我祷告我能死
I thought I would die. I prayed I would.
结果有一个男的救了我
And then a man helped me.
他让我戒掉毒瘾
He got me clean.
他也不要什么回报
He didn’t want much in return, either.
他是律师,让我去他的事务所上班 我在那里学会很多东西
He was a lawyer. He put me to work in his office. I learned a lot there.