是我自己的决定和习惯
so I made up my mind at that point…
我甚至在这些活动上连一杯水都不会喝
I wouldn’t take even a glass of water.
我每次去工作前都会吃一些东西
I have something to eat before I go to work, and that’s it.
就这样
Period.
这样做会让我在工作时
It’s keeping a distance from what you’re doing,
更具目标性
so you can be more objective.
大概是不会在派对上被那些美酒食物影响了拍照工作
Objective over what, I don’t know,
总之 这样的工作方法对我很有效
but, uh, it works for me.
纽约的社交圈变得原来越难以定义
New York society becomes harder and harder to define.
最新的一种说法是…
The latest definition…
包含着年轻的女孩
is everything from the girls who smile for party pictures…
和那些老的社交名媛
to the old WASPs.
他挺喜欢那些老的社交名媛
He loves, like, an old, stylish gal.
喜欢那些时尚的老女人
Come on. He loves an old, stylish gal.
当然她们也喜欢他
And they all love him.
其实我不是很清楚比尔过去的经历…
That’s why I think… I don’t know the history of Bill,
但比尔的周围是有他固定的社交圈子的
but we suspected that there was some kind of society connection with Bill,
他和阿斯特女士这样的人在一起也觉得很舒服
because he also felt as comfortable with Lady Astor,
他熟识这些所有人
and he knew all those people.
我是大卫·洛克菲勒
I’m David Rockefeller.
威廉姆·阿斯特
William Astor.
你看起来美极了
You look marvelous indeed.
今晚来了这么多人
Isn’t that nice? When you think of all that’s going on,
你很好么
that they came tonight?
为什么不弄的安静一些
Why are you not making peace?
你好比尔 跟我来
Hello, Bill. Come with me.
像布鲁克·阿斯特这样的人是少见的
Brooke Astor… Someone like that is a rarity.
她很平易近人
She had such a human touch, a correctness, about her,
没有距离感
but not in a stuffed-shirt way.
和她在一起给人感觉很自然
She immediately made people feel at ease.
她不会排斥别人 乐于结识新的朋友
We’re all the same. We all have the same problems.
我们都有着不同的家庭成员
We all have family members that are whatever the hell it is.
我这么多年以来
I’ve loved and admired my mother…
一直很爱我的母亲 很崇敬她
for more than three-quarters of a century.
让我们为她干杯
Let’s all toast to my mother,
为她的生日
who was born, not only on the 30th of March,
她在1902年3月30号♥那个复活节出生
but in 1902, the 30th of March was Easter Day.
阿斯特夫人身上展现这一种永恒的优雅
Mrs. Astor represented some timeless sense of style and elegance…
她一直坚持的慈善事业
and philanthropy…
还有她做的事情
and doing the right thing.
我并不是多么杰出的人
I really am not so extraordinary.
我只是个有着幸福生活的普通人
I’m just an ordinary person who has had a very good life…
并且…似乎很快就会走到人生的终点
and is very near… and it is getting very near to the end.
我拥有过很多美好的时光
And I’ve had a wonderful time.
你们一直都对我那么好
You’ve all really been so sweet.
我觉得你不可能不去崇敬她
I think it was impossible not to admire her.
她和比尔是非常好的朋友
They became really very close friends.
他几乎用相机记录下了她的一生
And he did chronicle her every single move.
他出于一种发自内心的友谊和亲情 保护着她
It was with a genuine kindness and affection, and he protected her.
一直以来 他们是非常非常好的朋友
To the very end they were great friends.
我猜…
I’m guessing…
比尔是来自一个非常富裕的家庭
that he might actually have come from a wealthy family because of that,
因为只有来自这样家庭的人
and because only people
才会有他这种生活态度和理念
who come from wealth can live the way he lives.
我一直是这么假设的
So that’s always been my assumption,
但是从来没有和他讨论过这个问题
but I’ve actually never discussed it with him.
大概是十年前 有一天 我坐在
About ten years ago , I was sitting outside…
下城的一下餐厅外面
downtown at a restaurant,
那会儿大概是夜里十一点
and it must have been 11 o’clock at night.
忽然我看见比尔和他的自行车
And all of a sudden, there goes Bill Cunningham on his bike.
我正想着和他打个招呼
I thought, “Oh, I want to say hello,”
但是他一下就从我面前骑了过去
but he was gone in a fleeting moment.
然后我只能看见他和他蓝色的外套远去是身影
And all I could see was his blue coat and the bike go by.
我大概知道他是赶着去哪里
And I knew where he was headed.
他一天晚上要参加很多的活动和派对
He goes to many events in one evening.
可能去上城参加一个活动
He’s in one event uptown,
然后又要赶去下城参加另一个
and he’s downtown at another event.
这样的工作节奏很紧
It’s rigorous work.
我们是不是来的太早了
This is too early to be at one of these downtown parties.
现在只有我们到了
We’re the only ones here.
比尔只能待五分钟 然后就要走了
Bill’s gonna be here for five minutes and leave.
笑一个 来吧 安妮
Big smiles. Come on, Annie!
很好看
Beautiful, guys.
这是我的老施文车
That’s a classic Schwinn.
别人送给我的
Someone gave it to me.
这是我的第29辆车了 好的
That’s my 29th. Wonderful.
前28辆都被偷了
I’ve had 28 stolen.
28辆自行车
28 stolen bikes?
是的…这是第29辆
Yeah. That’s the 29th.
天 你们都来了
Oh, my goodness, the kids are all here.
你们都来了…
The kids are here.
我从洛杉矶和安妮一起过来的
I came out from L.A. With Annie.
-那真好 -她住在这边
-Oh, how wonderful. -She’s ensconced down there.
你看 你们这样很好看
Oh, aren’t you kids beautiful? Look at you.
你还是叫我”孩子”
“You kids.” Never changes.
-看你们两个 -你要拍照么
-Look at you two kids. -You gonna take?
-是的 -给我们两个拍
-Yes. -Of us?
是的…你穿的黑色 开玩笑么
Yes. In basic black? Are you kidding?
不过这也很特别
A very special one too. Yes.
比尔对每个人都是一样的
Bill is a true egalitarian.
这不是说 他看不出
However, that doesn’t mean he isn’t aware of the nuances…
这些文化和社会层次之间的差别
of cultural division and hierarchies.
他只是对所有人都是平等的
He just treats it all the same.
他是这样的人
He really is the person who,
不管你是自行车店的经历
whether you’re a bicycle messenger,
亦或是砸破华尔街天花板的女人
a woman who’s breaking the glass ceiling on Wall Street,
还是纽约的交际花
a socialite in New York…
像小说中那样受欢迎的人物
who’s an up-and-comer and part of nouvelle society,
或是还活在Newport阶段的
or an old Dutch or German family…
古老的丹麦或德国人
that is still in the last phases of its denouement in Newport…
他都不在意
He doesn’t care.
对他来说 这些全部是 形形色♥色♥的纽约生活
It’s all, for him, the huge variety of life in New York City.
比尔第一次给你拍照是什么时候
When was the first time Bill photographed you?
1986年
In 1986, and the Times said…
过了一周他来找我 说”我很失望”
He came to me the next week and he said, “I’m so disappointed.
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》说你穿着一条裙子
The Times said we can’t put you in
他们不会把你的照片登出来
because you’re wearing a dress.”
肯尼是异装癖
他说他会继续争取把我的照片放出来
And he said, “But I’m going to keep trying to get you in.”
他说他会继续争取把我的照片放出来
And he said, “But I’m going to keep trying to get you in.”
我很诧异 “这是为什么 ”
And I was like, “What the hell?
我穿了一双沃克曼的靴子配这条裙子
I’m wearing a pair of workman’s boots with that dress.”
他说”我明白的 肯尼 我还在努力
And he said, “I know Kenny,
让他们把你的照片放进去”
but they won’t put you in, but I’m trying.”
现在 他们什么都敢登了
And now, they put everything in.
比尔非常特立独行
He’s such a maverick. Really a maverick.
他对我们这样的人来说很重要
He means so much to people like us. Really.
他是个艺术家
He’s an artist.
我们改天再聊
We’ll talk.
你们有两个选择
You have two choices.
你们可以选乔恩·邦·乔维来做开场白
You can either have Jon Bon Jovi give you the welcoming remarks…
然后我来唱歌♥
and me doing the singing…
或是反过来
Or the reverse.
坦白说 这座博物馆像是纽约的一颗明珠
Seriously, this is one of the great jewels of New York.
这将推动这个城市的经济发展
It is great for the economy of this city.
对教育事业也有帮助
It is great for the education of our kids.
对每个人的生活都有好处
It is great for everybody.
祝你们享受这个夜晚 感谢你们为此做的一切
So you have a great evening tonight, and thank you for all you’re doing.
谢谢你们对这座博物馆的支持
Thank you for your support of this wonderful museum. God bless.
这就是为什么我一直要跟着看你弄…
That’s why I was going up with it.
对 这样…这样很好

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!