We’ve been away from each other too long.
我们离开彼此太久了
[ Laughing ] Yes!
是的!
Mommy! What’s the matter, Richie?
妈妈! 怎么回事 里奇
It’s Daddy. He’s down in the den, and he’s crying.
是爸爸 他在楼下哭
Go back to bed, darling. Your daddy’s been through a lot.
回床上去 亲爱的 你♥爸♥爸受了很多苦
Oh, Ed. Oh, Darling!
噢 艾德 噢 亲爱的!
[ Sobbing Continues ] My darling, what is it?
亲爱的 怎么了?
[ Sobbing ] It’s nothing. Look, I told you, please go away!
我没事 请走开!
You should have called me. Is the pain back? Of course not!
你应该叫我醒我 是不是又疼了? 当然不是!
It isn’t anything physical.
不是身体上的
I wish to God it were.
我倒希望是
I’ll call Dr. Norton.
我打电♥话♥给诺顿医生
He’ll send me back to the hospital. But shouldn’t you go?
他会把我送回医院 不该去吗?
I can’t get sick again. What’ll happen to you and Richie if I fold up on the job?
我不能再生病了 如果我没了工作 你和里奇怎么办?
I’m not going to argue about this!
我不打算争论这个!
Well 鈥?Well, let’s go upstairs and get some sleep then.
那 那我们上楼去睡吧
We’ll see how you feel in the morning.
明天早上看看你感觉怎么样
Some kind of a letdown is all.
就是有点低落
I’m sorry if I worried you.
很抱歉让你担心了
Oh, you’ll be all right.
噢 你会没事的
You go ahead. I’ll be 鈥?I’ll be right in.
你先去睡吧 我马上就来
Don’t be long, darling. No.
别太久了 亲爱的 不会很久
Hello? Dr. Norton speaking.
喂?我是诺顿医生
Hello? Who’s calling?
喂?谁?
Mmhmm. What is it?
嗯嗯 怎么样?
1 28 over 80, Ed. Oh.
上压128 下压80 艾德 噢
It’s fine. Still no periods of depression?
很好 没有抑郁症状?
Just a little one first night home.
刚回家的第一晚有
Mmhmm. Nothing else? No, nothing at all.
嗯 其他呢? 没了 没别的了
Well, we might as well continue the present dosage.
那我们就继续现在的剂量吧
I’ll need a new prescription.
再给我开点药吧
Hmm?
嗯?
Oh, you should have enough to carry you another five days.
噢 你的药应该还够五天
You didn’t take more than I prescribed? No, my hands were wet.
药你没多吃吧? 没有 我的手湿了
I dropped the bottle. The whole lot ran down the drain.
把瓶子打翻了 很多药都洒到排水沟去了
You taking penicillin? Yeah.
你服青霉素了? 是的
Have any bad reactions? No.
有不良反应吗? 没有
[ Chuckles ] Some people do. Same with aspirin even.
有些人会 有些人吃阿斯匹林也会有不良反应
Now, cortisone…
皮质酮…
sometimes we see it produce some pretty queer mental effects.
有时会引起很奇怪的心理问题
Oh, is there something else? No, no. Nothing at all.
噢 还有别的吗? 没了
All right, I’ll see you in 1 0 days, Ed. Bye.
好吧 那十天后见 再见
Bye.
再见
Goodbye, Mr. Avery. Bye, Nurse.
艾弗里先生 再见 护士 再见
I’m not kidding, Wally. Every P.T.A. night I wish I worked in a filling station.
我不是开玩笑 沃利 每个家长教师联合会的晚上 我都希望自己在加油站工作
Come on. Parents are no worse than kids.
来吧 家长不会比孩子更糟糕
Ah, that’s easy for you to say.
啊 你说得倒轻松
Examples oftheir little hobbies 鈥?
他们的小爱好
butterflies, home weaving and so on 鈥?
蝴蝶 手工艺品之类的
We call it sharing.
这是分享
Think of it, ladies and gentlemen 鈥? 1 00,000 schools like this from coast to coast.
请想想 女士们先生们 全国各地像这样的10万所学校
Every year whole forests are cut down…
每年都有大♥片♥森林被砍伐
to supply the paper for these grotesque daubs.
制成纸张让大家涂鸦
And we coo over them as though they were van Goghs or Rembrandts.
我们以为他们是凡高或伦勃朗
I’m afraid Mr. Avery hasn’t much faith…
恐怕艾弗里先生对孩子们…
in the unspoiled instincts of childhood.
无暇的内心没多大信心
Afraid? My dear lady…
恐怕?亲爱的女士
childhood is a congenital disease…
人一出生就不健康
and the purpose of education is to cure it!
而教育的目的正是治疗它
I see my point ofview is new to many ofyou.
我明白我的看法对你们大部分人来说 都很标新立异
But ask yourselves, how do we describe the unfortunate individual…
但自问一下 我们怎么形容那些
who carries his unspoiled childhood instincts into adult life?
从小到大心智都没有改变过的人呢
We say he’s arrested. We call him a moron.
我们称之为低能者
[ Parents Gasping ] [ Woman ] Well!
那么
I’m not at all sure that I like to have my daughter Louise thought ofthat way…
我不想让我的女儿露易丝
and by her teacher!
受她的老师影响而这样想
My dear lady, your Louise is a charming little creature…
亲爱的女士 你的露易丝是很可爱的
but we must try to examine the problem without prejudice or sentiment.
可我们不能带着偏见和情绪 去看待问题
The hard fact remains that your daughter, at her present stage of development…
你的女儿 现在她的智力
is roughly on an intellectual par with the African gorilla.
和一只非洲大猩猩差不多
It’s, uh, getting pretty hot in here, isn’t it, Ed?
呃 这里很热 是不是 艾德?
[ Chuckling ] Excuse me, sir.
对不起 先生
She’s the president ofthe P.T.A.
她是家长教师联合会主席
Oh, really?
噢 真的?
What, after all, from the Stone Age to the present day…
从石器时代到现代
has been the greatest invention of mankind?
哪个是人类最伟大的发明?
Has anybody got a match?
谁有火?
Thank you.
谢谢
Fire?
火?
The wheel?
轮子?
Safety pin?
安全别针?
The hydrogen bomb?
氢弹?
No, ladies and gentlemen, the alphabet.
不 女士们先生们 是字母表
And persons like myself are required to teach these poor, bewildered kids…
而像我这样的人 得去教这些可怜的笨孩子
to read by a system ofword recognition…
系统地认字念书
as though the mighty English language were a collection of Chinese ideograms.
就像英文是中文的象形文字一样
And then we’re surprised when Junior can’t even wade through the comics.
而那些年轻人甚至连漫画都画不了
Some of us have been waiting to hear this kind oftalk, Mr. Avery.
我们还真想听听这样的言论 艾弗里先生
He’s telling us we oughta get back to the old three Rs.
他在说我们应该使用初等教育
“The three Rs” 鈥? that’s just a catchphrase.
“初等教育”–那只是个标语
Before it’s too late, we ought to get back to the real fundamentals.
为时过晚前 我们应该回到 实际的基本教育
And I’m not just talking of primary education now.
我现在不单是说初等教育
We’re breeding a race of moral midgets. [ Parents Gasping ]
我们在培养道德侏儒
All this hogwash about “self-expression,” “permissiveness”…
“自我表现” “放任”…
“development patterns”…
“发展模式”…
“emotional security” 鈥?
“情绪安全感”这些废话
Security 鈥? with the world ready to blow up.
安全感– 整个世界都要毁灭了
Ifthe republic is to survive…
如果共和国幸存
we’ve got to get back to teaching the good old virtues…
那我们就要从传统美德教起
of hard work and self-discipline and a sense of duty!
教他们勤奋 自律 有责任感
My friends, I tell you…
朋友们 告诉你们
we’re committing hara-kiri every day right here in this classroom.
我们在这个教室里 每天都像慢性自杀
Mister, that young man ought to be the principal ofthis school.
先生 那个年轻人应该当校长
I just can’t figure it out.
我只是不明白
LaPorte and I sat up halfthe night talking about it.
拉伯茨和我坐了大半夜谈论这个
What did Bob think? Well, he asked me…
鲍勃怎么想? 他问我…
if I didn’t think Ed was getting a little out of hand.
是不是觉得艾德有点失控了
So I said, Sure, but you have to make allowances because he’s been sick.
我说 是的 但你得想想 他病了
Well, you’re a fine friend, talking to his boss behind his back.
你真够朋友 背着他和他上司说他
But, Lou, haven’t you noticed anything lately, like the way he talks?
露 你最近有没有注意到什么? 比如他说话的方式?
He just isn’t the same guy.
他变了
You know, uh, big shot. He even looks bigger.
啊 自大 他变得自大了
Look, Wally 鈥? Wally, mind your own business.
沃利 管好自己的事
No matter how close we are to the LaPortes socially, Bob is still Ed’s boss…
无论我们在外面和拉伯茨有多亲近 鲍勃始终是艾德的上司
and we mustn’t let him think that Ed’s still sick.
我们不能让他觉得艾德还在生病
He may force Ed to take a vacation.
他可能会强迫艾德放假
Do you have any idea what that would mean?
你知道那意味着什么吗?
Just the cortisone Ed has to take costs two dollars a day.
艾德每天吃的皮质酮就要两美金
That’s $60 a month.
一个月要60块
[ Sighs ] Gee, Lou, you wouldn’t think…
啊 露 你不会是以为…
a foot that big could fit in a guy’s mouth.
那就能避而不谈当没事了吗?
I’m sorry, Lou. I 鈥? [ Door Closes ]
对不起 露 我…
[ Ed ] Lou? Yes, darling.
露? 是的 亲爱的
Surprised? [ Chuckling ]
意外吗?
Had the substitute take over. Little white lies. And I had a headache.
代课老师替代我 真是善意的谎言 我头疼
Lou, have I got an idea. I knew something would come of it last night.
露 我猜对了 我知道经过昨晚肯定会有事发生的
The most revolutionary concept ever to hit modern education.
对现代教育最革命性观念的冲击
Whole series of magazine articles. Will you be sitting up nights pounding the old typewriter.
所有的杂♥志♥文章 你能熬夜帮我打好这份东西吗?
Hi, Ed. Wallyjust dropped by.
你好 艾德 沃利刚好经过这边
So I see. Why don’t you get him a beer?
噢 你怎么不给他拿杯啤酒?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!