– I’m a solo practitioner now. – No kidding.
哪个领域
Field?
主要是银行
Mainly banking.
生意怎么样
How’s business?
挺好的
Pretty good.
我是梅萨维德银行的外部律师
I’m outside counsel for Mesa Verde.
梅萨维德银行
Mesa Verde.
我听说有个案子
You know, I — I heard about a case,
感觉很适合你
and I think you might be the right person for it.
感兴趣吗
Interested?
当然
Of course.
现在我还不方便把所有细节透露给你
I can’t share all the details just yet,
不过我可以给你讲下大致的框架
but I can give ya broad strokes.
有个年轻女性 二十出头
There’s a young woman, early 20s,
怀了第一胎 快要生了
pregnant with her first child, nearing the end of term.
非常健康
Healthy as a horse.
她出现了并发症
She develops a complication.
然后去医院准备生产
She goes to the hospital for delivery,
但麻醉出了问题
and there’s a mistake with the anesthesia.
她把呕吐物吐进了自己的氧气面罩
She aspirates vomitus into her oxygen mask,
阻碍了呼吸
stops breathing.
孩子平安诞生
The baby’s delivered — fine.
但这位年轻的妈妈却遭受了严重的脑损伤
But the young mother suffers serious brain damage.
陷入了昏迷 只能依靠呼吸机
She’s left comatose on a respirator.
这个家庭自然受到了重创
The family is naturally devastated.
他们破产了 所以他们没有办法支付
And they’re broke, so they have no way to pay
这位年轻女士的医疗费用
for the young lady’s care.
更糟糕的是
And to make matters worse,
这所医院拒绝承担责任
the hospital refuses to take responsibility.
而且他们雇佣了
And they’ve hired
国内最贵的律所
one of the most expensive firms in the state.
这是《大审判》的情节
This is the plot of “The Verdict.”
可不是吗
Yes! Of course it is!
因为只有电影中
Because movies are the only place
才会出现这种千载难逢的经典案例
where those once-in-a-lifetime cases exist.
你知道我接下来要审什么案子吗
You know what I got coming up next?
有个清洁工朝自己的老板泼尿
I got a janitor who threw his pee on his boss.
再接下来是
The one after that,
有个女的为了一个烤芝士三明治捅了自己男友
she stabbed her boyfriend over a grilled cheese sandwich.
真实的世界就是如此 韦克斯勒女士
This is the real world, Ms. Wexler,
不会有什么拯救破产律师的大案件
and you won’t find any save-the-broken-lawyer cases in it.
不要觉得你是第一个在我的法庭上
Don’t think that you are the first to try to rediscover
想重新找回自己对法律的热爱的人
their love of the law by trolling my court.
不是的
You’re not.
你还是老老实实地做好梅萨维德银行的业务
Best thing you can do is stick to Mesa Verde.
挣很多钱
Make lots of money.
捐点给慈善
Give some to charity.
说到这里 我们的公设辩护律师一直超负荷工作
And having said that, we’ve got perpetual PD overload.
所以当心了
So beware.
下次我再看见你混迹我的法庭
Next time I see you lurking in my court,
我就要让你做事了
I’m gonna put you to work.
明白
Understood.
祝你好运
Good luck to you.
多谢… 法官阁下
Thank you…Your Honor.
全体起立
All rise.
下午好 都坐下吧
Good afternoon. Please be seated.
案件编号♥CR20031♥1♥4♥882
Case CR20031♥1♥4♥882,
莱斯特·道恩斯公诉案
State vs. Lester Downes.
你想先就利益冲突进行讨论
You wanted to discuss the conflict of interest.
是的 在我们开始之前 我要
Yeah, before we get started, I’ll, uh —
我要先审议被告方要求对方律师回避的动议
I’ll address the defense’s motion to disqualify opposing counsel.
我仔细地看过了你的简报 但是我不…
Well, I read your brief very carefully, but I’m not…
对不起我迟到了
Sorry I’m late.
-要报纸吗 -多谢
– Paper? – Thank you.
第二十二行是”埃斯梅拉达”
22 across is “Esmeralda.”
“敲钟人的心上人”
“Bell ringer’s love interest.”
是那个驼背
It’s the Hunchback.
卡西莫多 不赖嘛你
Oh, Quasimodo. Look at you.
-安妮塔 -弗兰
– Hey, Anita. – Hey, Fran.
还是老样子吗
Usual for you?
没错 多谢
Yep. Thanks.
多谢 弗兰
Thank you, Fran.
不客气
You’re welcome.
我的一个朋友
You know, a girlfriend of mine
今晚要在发射台餐厅和她的乐队演出 她弹钢琴
is playing piano with her band tonight at The Launchpad.
他们挺不错的 要一起去吗
They’re pretty good. You wanna go?
今晚有小组会
Tonight’s group.
我们可以翘掉的
Mm, we could ditch.
我还是去吧 我跟史黛西说过会去的
I’d better go. I told Stacey I’d be there.
好吧
Sure.
也许散会后我会顺便去一下
Maybe I could stop by after.
那就太好了
That’d be great.
说到互助小组
You know, speaking of group,
我在想要不要帮亨利一把
I’ve been thinking about reaching out to Henry.
我觉得他需要朋友
I think he needs a friend.
我每次见到他 他都变得更糟了
Every time I see him, he seems worse.
亨利没事的
Henry’s fine.
-你跟他聊过 -不需要
– You talked to him? – Don’t need to.
那你怎么知道
Then how do you know?
因为他挂在嘴边的亡妻根本不存在
Because that dead wife he’s always talking about never existed.
你在说什么
What are you talking about?
他在演戏
It’s an act.
你为什么这么说
Why would you even say that?
那家伙每次讲的故事都不一样
The guy’s story changes every time he tells it.
是吗
Really?
不 我觉得不是
No, I don’t think so.
一起去看棒球比赛的浪漫夜晚 他们的初吻
That romantic night at the Cubs game, their first kiss?
-怎么了 -从未发生过
– Yeah? – Never happened.
你又怎么知道
You can’t know that.
瑞格利球场1988年之前没装照明设备
Wrigley Field didn’t get lights until ’88.
在那以前没有夜间比赛
There were no night games before then.
他的那些细节全都对不上
None of his details add up.
或许是他把年份记错了
Well, maybe he just got the year wrong.
哪有有人会编那种故事
Why would anyone make up a story like that?
好了
Okay.
你们的菜
Here you go.
尽情享用
Enjoy.
-多谢 -多谢 弗兰
– Thank you. – Thanks, Fran.
你知道吗…
You know…
你的性格真是多疑
you have a very suspicious nature.
仔细观察他
Watch him.
他有个破绽
He’s got a tell.
像是糟糕的扑克玩家 他撒谎时
Like a bad poker player, when he’s lying,
他会搓手腕
he rubs his wrist.
好吧
Okay.
你想打个赌吗
You want to put your money where your mouth is?
你今晚来小组吗
Well, you gonna come to group tonight?
办得有趣些
Make it interesting.

All right.
赌十块钱 他提起朱蒂
10 bucks says that when he talks about Judy,
又换一套说法
different story.
没问题 赌就赌
All right. You’re on.

All right.
欢迎光临
CC通讯
CC通讯 我是吉米
CC Mobile. This is Jimmy.
上班第一个上午感觉如何
How was the first morning?
很好 罗比
Good, Robbie.
其实 有一点点冷清
Well ya, actually, it’s a little — little slow.
是啊 你那间商店总是更清闲些
Yeah, that store’s always been a bit calmer.
上班时带本书
Just bring a book.
工作日这样算正常

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!