意思是如果有很多人说你醉了
Meaning, if enough people tell you that you’re drunk,
也许你是该坐下来了
maybe it’s time to sit down.
你想让我为了…这个保险退休
You want me to retire over this — insurance?!
不仅仅是这个保险
It’s not just the insurance.
这是压垮骆驼的最后一根稻草
That’s the straw u202dthat broke the camel’s back.
所以是因为我的身体情况
So this is about my condition.
看
Look!
看
Look!
你看
You see?
看
See?
我好多了
I’m better!
霍华德 我没事
Howard, I’m fine!
没事的人可不会这样
This is not what “Fine” Looks like.
查克 你是我见过最有法律头脑的人
Chuck, you are the best legal mind I’ve ever known.
毋庸置疑
Hands down.
但你最近作出的决策
But your decision-making has become…
让人摸不着头脑
unpredictable.
如果我没法信任合伙人的判断力
And I can’t be partners with someone
我是不会合伙的
whose judgment I don’t trust.
查克
Chuck…
这是德州和新墨西哥州边界
This right here u202dis the Texas-New Mexico border.
我的钻井都在德州境内
Now, all of my wells are square on the Texas side.
我在协商钻井和地♥产♥权利时
When I negotiated for the mineral and property rights,
勘测员说
the surveyors said
最近的油田延伸到了…
that the next nearest pool extended to…
大概到这里
…about here.
是啊
Right.
但是…进行开采后
But… after some extraction,
盐丘的西墙会倒下
the west wall u202dof the salt dome gave way,
下一个油田大概会扩张到
opening up another pool that extends — what —
边境外一百码
100 yards over the border?
差不多这么大吧
That’s about the size of it, yeah.
于是你就得应付新墨西哥州的地权人了
And now you have New Mexico rights holders to deal with.
他们确实应该在自己的地盘上获利
You know, they should get profit on what’s theirs,
但现在我每开采一加仑
but now I’ve got two states coming after me
得向两个州缴税
for taxes u202don each and every gallon.
有跨边境的设备吗
No equipment crosses the border?
没有
No, ma’am.
地下的呢
Nothing below the surface,
比如…钻头之类的
like the — What — Is it a drill bit?
你说的应该是抽油杆
It would be the sucker rod at this point,
但是没有
but no, none of that.
只在德州境内有
Only on the Texas side.
但这样无法阻止新墨西哥吸我的血
But that’s not stopping New Mexico from trying to bleed me.
你在电♥话♥里说你有办法
You said on the phone you have a solution.
不要和地权人协商租约
You don’t negotiate a lease with the rights holders.
你要提出给他们赔偿损失
You offer to pay them damages.
损失
Damages?
你减少了他们的资源
For diminishing their resource.
算是对新墨西哥土地的贬值
A significant fraction of the value of the New Mexico portion,
但你无需为土地权利买♥♥单
but without paying u202dfor the rights themselves.
所以算是买♥♥断
So a kind of a payoff.
这样你就不用缴税了
Then you don’t get hit with the taxes.
你觉得你能做到吗
You think you can make that fly?
如果有人给我这样的条件
If someone came to me with this offer…
我肯定会接受
I’d sure as hell take it.
我早点联♥系♥你就好了
u202dWish I’d called you sooner.
照他们这样下去
Way they’re makin’ noise,
要是我这个季度结束还没搞定
if I don’t get this thing wrapped up u202dby the end of the quarter,
那些收税的肯定会把我生吞活剥了
I’m pretty sure the tax boys are gonna take me apart.
到现在就剩两个星期了
And that’s two weeks from now?
我能在这之前搞定
I can do it by then.
真的吗
Really?
如果你能召集那些地权人
If we can get all u202dthe rights holders in one place,
我来和他们说我们的提案
I can walk them through what we’re proposing.
如果他们够聪明 就会同意的
If they’re smart, they’ll go for it.
没问题
Well, hot damn.
凯文说你是创造奇迹的人
Kevin said u202dyou were a miracle worker,
我本来不信
but I didn’t believe him.
但我现在有几分信了
I’m startin’ to.
我先实现那个奇迹
Yeah, well, let me work that miracle first,
再说吧
then we’ll talk.
你知道怎么出去吗
You know the way outta here?
我得赶去北边处理
I got a drillhead that’s acting up on me
一个钻头的情况
out on the north forty I gotta check.
我知道 没事
Yeah. I’m good.
有什么需要的话 你有我的电♥话♥
You need anything from me, you got my cell.
联♥系♥我
u202dCall me.
好的
Will do.
比利·加特伍德会面记录
Billy Gatwood meeting notes.
联♥系♥加特伍德石油
Contact Gatwood Oil.
拿到新墨西哥地权人的名字和联♥系♥方式
Get names and numbers for New Mexico rights holders…
该死
Shit!
不不不 该死
No, no, no, no! No, no, no! Shit!
继续记录加特伍德石油会面
Continuing notes from Gatwood Oil meeting.
联♥系♥地权人 开始计划日程
Contact rights holders, begin scheduling.
哈姆林
霍华德
Howard!
你来这里干什么 吉米
What are you doing here, Jimmy?
我们要谈谈
We have business to discuss.
是因为查克的事吗
Is this about Chuck?
谁
Who?
如果你真的有事要说
If you actually have business,
-请联♥系♥我的秘书 -我联♥系♥过了
– then call my secretary. – u202dI did.
她百般阻挠 装得好像你什么都不知道
She stonewalled me, as if you didn’t know.
矶鹞渡
Sandpiper.
-怎么了 -该解决了
– What about it? – It’s time to settle.
我看了现在给出的条件
I-I saw the current offer.
要补偿当事人蒙受的损失
The clients make their losses back,
还能大大谋上一笔利润
plus a solid chunk of change.
虽然这不关你的事
Not that it’s any of your business,
但我们最终预计的数字
but we project a final number
比现有的条件高多了
far higher than the current offer.
我明白 我明白 你在等待
I get it. I get it. You hold out,
多为每个客户争取点钱
maybe you squeeze a grand more for each client.
同时 律所却赚上几百万
Meanwhile, HHM nets a few million.
你为了自己的利益 玩弄自己的客户
You know, you’re screwing the clients for your own benefit.
现在你倒为客户们担心了
So now you’re worried about the clients?
这样做才对 你心里清楚
It’s the right thing to do, and you know it.
拜托
Please.
你只担心你自己的酬劳
All you care about u202dis your share of the payout.
这就像在和咕噜讲话
It’s like talking to Gollum.
你太容易看穿了 真可悲
You’re transparent. And pathetic.
你想要点救济
You want a handout?
给
Here.
下一次
Next time…
带个零钱罐来
why don’t you bring a tin cup?
我会更大方
It’d be more honest.
霍华德 听我说 这事必须现在解决
Listen, Howard, u202dsettle this and settle it now.
这是为大家好
It’s in everyone’s best interests!
也就是说是为你好
Meaning it’s in your best interests.
如果我们拒绝 你打算怎么办
And if we don’t, what are you gonna do?
挑拨我们的人
Peel off u202dsome members of the class,
给斯韦卡特泄露一点信息
leak some insider info to Schweikart?
我深表怀疑
Oh, I doubt it.
我知道你很下作 会做出这种事
I know you’re low enough to do something like that,
但你太贪婪了
but you’re too damn greedy.
你做出这种事
You do any of that,
就会有损你自己拿到的薪酬
and you’ll be jeopardizing your payday.
你会拿到你的钱
You’ll get your damn money.
你只不过得好好等等