Isn’t it because you knew that it was precisely the thing
那种东西最让我担心
that would worry me so much
为了说服你 我什么话都说得出来
that I’d say anything to talk you down?
反对
Objection.
好的 撤回
Okay. Withdrawn.
我们继续说你的房♥子
Let’s — Let’s get back to your house,
所有表面都用锡箔纸盖起来了
every surface covered in tinfoil.
那可一点都不疯癫 是吧
Nothing crazy about that, huh?
如我所说 我把病情夸大了
As I’ve said, u202dI was playing up my condition.
通常 我的房♥子完全正常
Usually, it’s u202da perfectly normal house.
你认为你的房♥子很正常吗
You think your house is normal?
我能请您看看九号♥证物吗
Can I call your attention to Exhibit Nine?
这是你家 对吗
This is your house, right?
是的
Yes.
电线外露
So, exposed wires.
有个便携炉
There’s a camp stove.
报纸上放着一盏煤油灯
There’s a lantern on top of newspapers.
这算正常吗
You call this normal?
我称之为适应
I call them adaptations.
针对身体疾病做出的预防措施
A prophylactic measure for a physical, medical condition.
授予我监护权的那位医生
Did the doctor who granted me Guardianship
认为这是身体疾病吗
for you think this was a physical condition?
反对
Objection.
不能将其作为证据
You can’t introduce a TEG as evidence.
而且 陪审团已经裁决
Besides which, the panel has already ruled
麦吉尔先生的心理健康不在讨论范畴
that Mr. McGill’s mental health is not at issue.
不 当证人谈及他”夸大”了的病情时
No, the State Bar opened the door to this on direct
州律师协会就已经在谈这个问题了
when the witness talked about his supposed “play-acting.”
所以让我继续盘问很合理
Allowing me to follow up on cross is only reasonable.
我们当时讨论的是身体过敏病症
We discussed the physical allergy,
而不是精神疾病
not a mental disability.
说法不同而已
Potato, po-tah-to.
归根结底
It comes down to this —
想理解我当时的想法
In order to understand what I was thinking,
你就要从我的视角看查克
you need to see Chuck through my eyes.
你得知道我当时是否觉得那盘带子是证据
You need to know if I believed that tape was evidence.
而我认为这盘带子只证明了一件事
And I say it was evidence of only one thing —
我哥哥恨我
My brother hates me.
他声称他欺骗我 是为了让我说出真♥相♥
Now, he claims that he lied to me to get me to tell the truth.
我告诉您
And I’m telling you
我欺骗我哥哥 是为了让他好过一些
I lied to my brother to make him feel better.
您相信谁的话
Which of us you believe
取决于我们如何理解查尔斯·麦吉尔的思维方式
depends on how we all understand the mind of Charles McGill.
我们确实答应给辩方一些自♥由♥度
Well, we did promise the defense some leeway.
你可以继续说
You may proceed.
-谢谢 主席 -但你注意点
– Thank you, Mr. Chairman. – But watch yourself.
查克 我想谈谈更久之前的事
Chuck, I’d like to go back a little further,
这些症状刚出现那时
talk about when these symptoms first started.
是在你刚离婚后不久 对吗
It was shortly after you were divorced, is that right?
是的
Yes.
你觉得离婚的压力是你的病因吗
You think the stress of the divorce brought on the illness?
应该不是 我们当时是和平分手
I doubt it. u202dIt was an amicable split.
我前妻和我仍然相处愉快
My ex-wife and I are still on good terms.
事实上 你前妻今天也在现场 对吗
In fact, your ex-wife is present with us today, is she not?
你们上一次见面是什么时候
When was the last time you two saw each other?
反对 这里不是家事法庭
Objection. This is not family court.
我们在此不是为证人的离婚重新提起诉讼
We’re not here to re-litigate the witness’ divorce.
我不懂问这些有什么意义
I can’t see what purpose this serves.
我懂
I can.
让我来告诉你 我弟弟为什么
I’ll tell you why my brother
邀我前妻出席这场听证会
brought my ex-wife to this hearing.
她因为关心我 跨越六千四百公里来到这里
4,000 miles she came, lured by concern for me.
吉米想说的是 我上次见她时
What Jimmy’s driving at is the last time I saw her,
隐瞒了我的病情
I covered up my illness.
当时我已经受病情折磨了一段时间
I’d been suffering from it for some time,
但我想尽办法对她隐瞒了事实
but I went to great lengths to conceal that fact from her.
很抱歉我欺骗了你 丽贝卡
I’m sorry I deceived you, Rebecca.
我不希望你看轻我
I didn’t want you to think less of me.
现在吉米当着你的面 揭穿我的秘密
Now Jimmy has outed me in front of you.
你知道为什么吗
You know why?
想乱我阵脚
To rattle me.
他知道我仍然对…
He knows I still have a…
我的前妻还存有深厚感情
lot of, feeling for my ex-wife.
他想以此击垮我
He’s hoping u202dthis will break me down.
在我的伤口上撒盐
Split me apart at the seams,
就像《梅森探案集》里凶手供认那样
like a murderer confessing on an episode of “Perry Mason.”
抱歉让你失望了 吉米
Well, I’m sorry u202dto disappoint you, Jimmy.
我的回答是否使你满意呢
Have I answered your questions to your satisfaction?
还有其他问题吗
Do you have anything else?
是的 我有
Yeah, I do.
之前 你说还有其他疾病
Earlier, you talked about other diseases.
像你说的身体疾病
Physical conditions, you said.
那么 如果你当时患有…
So, okay, if you’d had, um — I don’t know —
肺癌 你会告诉丽贝卡吗
lung cancer, would you have told Rebecca then?
真是那样的话 也许吧
If that had been the case, maybe.
我也许会那么做
I might have.
有什么不同吗
So how is this different?
麦吉尔先生 请跳过
Mr. McGill. Move it along.
你不用回答这个问题
You don’t have to answer that.
我想谈论实质性问题
I want to get down to brass tacks.
我想听非常详细的细节
I want to be very, very specific here.
得这种病 是什么感觉
This illness, what does it feel like?
你说过它令人很痛苦
You mentioned it’s painful.
没错
It is.
它使我胸闷气急 呼吸困难
There’s a tightness in my chest, difficulty breathing,
令我感受到万箭穿心的痛苦
and pain, burning pain.
这种痛苦吞噬了我
The pain spreads everywhere.
听上去很可怕 现在还痛吗
Sounds horrible. Does it hurt right now?
没错 还是会让我感到不适
There’s always some discomfort, yes.
现代社会离不开电力的使用
Electricity is everywhere in the modern world.
但我很感谢今天陪审会给予我的
But I very much appreciate the indulgence of the panel
理解和通融
for their accommodation here today.
我可以克服
I can handle this fine.
所以关了灯 你就感觉不到了
Right, so, with the lights out, you don’t feel them?
如果没有电流 就感觉不到
If the current’s not flowing, no.
抱歉没关安全出口灯
Oh. Sorry about the exit signs.
我想他们不能替你关掉
I guess they couldn’t kill those for you.
它没有接通太多电流 并且离我很远
Well, they’re not drawing much current, and they’re far away.
按平方反比定律来说
Intensity drops off with distance,
强度会随着距离增加而缩减
per the inverse-square law.
行 很强
Okay, whoa!
平方反比… 我不是物理学家
Inverse-square — I’m not a physicist.
你能不用那么学术的词语吗
Could you dumb that down a shade for me?
距离越远
The farther away it is,
就需要越强大的来源来产生效应
the stronger the source needs to be to have an effect.
明白了 懂了
Got it. Got it.
如果我有一块小电池 比如手表的那种
So, if I had a small battery, say, from a watch or something,
然后拿着它靠近你 碰到你的皮肤
and I got it close to you, close to your skin,
你会有感觉吗
you’d know?
是的 我会感觉到
I would feel it, yes.
你现在能察觉到
Can you feel more current
从其他方向传来的电流吗
coming from any particular direction right now?
比如那堵墙后面
Uh, from that back wall
或者那边
or, uh, from over there
或者从地板上
or up through the floor?
你能告诉我们现在离你最近的电源在哪吗
Can you tell us where the nearest source is right now?
吉米 你口袋里是不是有什么东西
Jimmy, do you have something in your pocket?
是的 实际上我有
Yes, I do, as a matter of fact.
是我的手♥机♥
My cellphone.
你应该能从这个距离察觉到
From this distance, you should feel it,
但你没有 是吧