is too important to be toyed with.
这是人类最伟大的成就
It’s mankind’s greatest achievement
法治
the Rule of Law,
法治的意义就在于 不管你是谁
the idea that, no matter who you are,
你的行为都会产生后果
your actions have consequences.
而我弟弟对待法律的方式
And the way my brother treats the law —
让我心碎不已
it breaks my heart.
所以我要这么做
That’s why I did what I did.
不是为了伤害他 而是保护我所尊重的东西
Not to hurt him, but to protect something that I hold sacred.
谢谢 麦吉尔先生
Thank you, Mr. McGill.
州律师协会盘问完毕
The State Bar rests.
我觉得我们需要暂停一下
I think we need to put on the brakes.
抱歉 我和我的合伙律师需要时间商讨
I’m sorry. My co-counsel and I need a moment to confer.
请尽快 律师
Please be brief, counselor.
好的
Yes, of course.
她会来
She’ll be here.
你有想盘问他的吗
Do you have anything for cross?
我能看一下你的笔记吗
Can I look at your notes?
当然可以
Yeah, of course.
我们能…
Can we, um…
好的
Yeah.
很高兴你能来
So glad you made it.
主席先生 不好意思
Mr. Chairman, I’m sorry.
我能去透口气吗
might I have a moment, to get a breath?
当然 麦吉尔先生
Oh, of course, Mr. McGill.
大伙 我们休庭十五分钟
Uh, folks, let’s call this 15.
大家 请准时回庭继续听审
Everybody, please be back and ready to go on the hour.
-丽贝卡 -查克
– Rebecca. – Chuck.
很高兴见到你
It’s good to see you.
不得不说 我有点儿意外
I have to say, I’m a bit surprised.
吉米传讯你了吗
Did Jimmy subpoena you?
你不在证人名单上 你不必作证
You’re not on the witness list. You don’t have to testify.
不不不 我不是来作证的
No, no, no, no. I’m not here for that.
那是来干什么的
Well, what, then?
查克 你早告诉我多好
Chuck, I wish you’d told me.
我不敢相信你经历了什么
I-I can’t believe what you’ve been going through.
有多久了
How long has it been?
你是来帮我的
You’re here to help.
因为这一切对我来说压力太大了
Because all this is so stressful for me.
吉米是这么跟你说的吗
Is that what Jimmy told you?
他很担心你 查克
He’s worried about you, Chuck.
尽管你们之间发生了这么多事
In spite of everything that’s happened between the two of you,
他 他还是关心你的
he — he cares.
他究竟说了什么
What exactly did he say?
他说你病了
Um, well, that you had been sick.
对电磁过敏
Allergic to electricity?
他给我看了你家的照片
He sent me pictures of the house.
查克 天啊
Chuck, my God. u202d
你为什么没有告诉我
Why didn’t you tell me?
我不想让你心烦
I didn’t want to upset you.
让你产生顾虑
Worry you unnecessarily.
但既然你来了
But now you’re here.
你现在也知道了
And now you know.
我来是因为我觉得应该这么做
I came because I thought it was the right thing.
我以为 你希望我来
I thought — I don’t know — that you’d want me to.
但我想我只会让你分心
But I guess that I’m more of a distraction.
所以…
So, uh… u202d
我会在城里待上几天
I’m gonna be in town for a few days,
我很想和你聚聚
and I would love u202dto spend some time with you.
但现在 我还是先走吧
But right now, I-I think I should go.
不不 拜托 我希望你留下来
No. No, no, please. I want you to stay.
真的吗 你见到我好像不太开心
Really? u202dYou don’t seem happy to see me.
我很开心
I am.
只是有些意外 仅此而已
Just surprised, that’s all.
请你留下来
Please, stay.
你确定吗
Are you sure?
我确定
Yes, I’m sure.
你听信了很多谗言 丽贝卡
You’ve been sold a bill of goods, Rebecca.
我希望你亲眼看到事实的真♥相♥
I want you to see what’s what.
她和我想象的不一样
She’s not what I expected.
是吗 你本来以为她什么样
Oh, yeah? What’d you expect?
我不知道 只是…
I don’t know. Just…
不是这样
not her.
这事完了后 她会恨你的
You know, she’s gonna hate you when this is over.
是啊
Yep.
好了 麦吉尔先生
All right, uh, Mr. McGill,
我提醒一下 你要遵守誓言
I’ll remind you u202dyou’re still under oath.
我明白
I understand.
这次
At this time,
我想由我的合伙律师对证人进行盘问
I’d like to turn cross-examination over to my co-counsel,
詹姆斯·麦吉尔
James McGill.
这段期间发生了很多争论
Uh, well, there’s been a lot of fuss about it,
但你我从未谈过你录制的这盘录音带
but you and I have never really talked about this tape you made.
你闯入我家毁坏带子后 我们就没机会谈了
We lost the opportunity when you burglarized my house to destroy it.
有道理
Fair enough.
那件事是我不对
Um, and I was in the wrong there.
但我还是想听听你录制那盘带子的
But, still, I’d like to try and follow your story
原因和方法
of why and how you recorded it.
你想说带子是伪造的吗
Is this where you claim the tape is spurious?
其实不是你的声音吗
That it’s not really your voice?
不 那是我的声音
No. That’s me on the tape.
但我仍然有些疑问
But, still, I have some questions.
比如那台录音机
Like, the recorder,
你碰到它一定非常疼吧
it must’ve hurt like hell for you to touch that.
的确有一定程度上的不舒服
There was a degree u202dof discomfort, that’s true.
你当时把录音机藏在哪儿
And where did you hide it?
录到的声音很清晰
I mean, the sound’s pretty clear,
所以应该不是藏在沙发垫子里吧
so it wasn’t in u202dthe couch cushions, was it?
压在太空毯底下 看不见
Tucked under a space blanket. Out of sight.
所以我肯定不会发现
So there’s no chance I would see it.
以你家当时的情况来说
Not with the state your place was in.
-对吗 -我想是吧
– Isn’t that right? u202d- I suppose.
你能否向纪律委员会描述当时的情况
Would you like to set the scene for the Disciplinary Committee?
告诉他们 录音时
Tell them, you know, what your house looked like
你房♥子是什么样
at the time of the recording.
反对 与本案有关吗
Objection. Relevance?
录音时的环境与本案有极大关系
Well, the circumstances of the recording are materially relevant.
如果不知道录音时发生的事
How can you know what the tape really means
又怎能知道带子的真正意义呢
unless you know what was going on when it was recorded?
反对无效 证人请回答问题
Overruled. The witness can answer the question.
我用锡箔 麻布和牛皮纸做的绝缘层盖住大部分墙
I covered most of the walls with Foil-Scrim-Kraft insulation.
我还挂上了一些太空毯
I also hung a number of space blankets.
是密实的聚酯薄膜
Compact Mylar sheets.
它们可以帮我隔离
They insulate and protect
轻度电磁辐射
against mild u202delectromagnetic radiation.
所以墙上和天花板上
All right, so, shiny insulation
挂满了闪亮的隔离层和太空毯
and space blankets all over the walls and the ceiling.
好像在舞厅的发光球灯里一样
It was like being inside of a disco ball.
你到底想说什么
Do you have a point?
我是惊叹
Well, I’m impressed
你为了让我落入陷阱 做了那么多工作
by how much work went into entrapping me.
你真是竭尽全力啊
You went all out.
我没有设陷阱
I didn’t entrap you.
我只是刺♥激♥你承认了而已
I provoked an admission in adverse interest.
那不是一回事
That’s not the same thing.
你怎么知道能成功
How did you know it would work?
什么意思
What do you mean?
你怎么知道你”刺♥激♥”我能成功
How did you know your “provocation” would work?
你为什么觉得一些发光的塑料
Why’d you think a bunch of shiny plastic
能让我开口
would make me say anything?
难道不是因为你知道

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!