this is a standard request,
在同类案件中均被允许
granted in every case of its kind.
这不是欺压
This is not about bullying.
允许这样的隐私侵犯
Granting this invasion of privacy
会让我们的委托人二次受害
allows our clients to be doubly victimized.
我请求您拒绝被告的动议 法官大人
I ask that you deny the defense’s motion, your honor.
我倾向于允许这一申请
I’m leaning toward granting the motion,
但我想重读一下诉状和简述
but I would like to review the pleadings and briefs again.
我会很快答复你们
I’ll have my decision for you shortly.
休庭
Adjourned.
回办公室再见
I’m gonna meet you back at the office.
韦克斯勒小姐 你好
Ms. Wexler. Hey.
我只想说 你刚才表现很好
I just wanted to say, good work in there.
谢谢 但我肯定输了
Thanks, but I — I’m pretty sure I lost.
当然了 这种情况你赢不了的
Oh, of course you did. It’s an unwinnable position.
所以你上司都懒得出面
That’s why your boss didn’t bother showing up.
但是你坚持不懈 虽败犹荣 我很欣赏
But you went down swinging, and I admire that.
谢谢
Thank you.
你午餐有什么安排
What are you doing for lunch?
可能就在自动贩卖♥♥机买♥♥点吧
Um, probably just grabbing something from the vending machines.
我们可以吃好一点嘛
We can do better than that.
斯韦卡特先生 很高兴见到你
Mr. Schweikart, good to see you, sir.
-你好吗 肖恩 -我很好
– Ah, how you doing, Sean? u202d- Very well.
要什么喝的 您还是要莫斯科之骡吗
Can I get some drinks for you two? Your usual Moscow Mule?
肯定的 你要吗
Absolutely. You want one?
全市最好的莫斯科之骡
Best Moscow Mule in the city.
新鲜的生姜 纯铜杯 很正宗
Fresh ginger, u202dreal copper mug, the works.
真是复古 我不用了
That’s very vintage, but I’m good.
冰茶就可以了
Just an iced tea.
你确定吗
You sure?
那好吧 我就独自做一个
All right, then. I’ll be the sole degenerate
工作日中午喝酒的堕落汉吧
who’s drinking u202din the middle of a work day.
那也很复古了
That, too, is vintage.
我去让他们调
I’ll get those started.
所以你在哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所十年了
So, you’ve been with HHM, what — 10 years?
没错 去年八月满十年
Y-yeah, last August.
你是从收发室做起的吗
And you started in the mail room?
没错 我在那干了六年
I did. I was six years there.
你怎么知道的
How did you know that?
我问别人的 这地方很小
Oh, I asked around. It’s a small town.
听上去你已经尽职尽责了
You know, it sounds like you certainly paid your dues.
我运气很好
I was very fortunate.
律所一边让我工作 一边供我读完法学院
HHM put me through law school while I worked.
他们很会培养人才啊
That’s great that u202dthey foster talent like that.
现在你给他们工作 就当还债是吧
And I imagine you’re paying it off as part of your deal?
是的 我很乐意
Yeah, happily.
好多人都是这样的安排
It’s a pretty standard arrangement.
我得说 今天看你在法庭上
I have to say, u202dwatching you in court today,
确实勾起我不少回忆
it sure did bring back some old memories for me.
反正让我想起了一件事
One in particular, anyway.
-是吗 -是的
– Yeah? – u202dYeah.
我当时从法学院毕业一年 在波士顿一家律所
I was a year out of law school at this firm in Boston,
我终于接了第一个大案子
and I was finally put on my first big case —
一桩大型就业歧视案
This huge u202demployment-discrimination suit.
这案子让律所十年都有活干
That thing kept us in billing for a decade.
总之 我们接了这单大的
Anyway, we landed this monster,
而且我成为了预审听证时
and I find out I’m second chair to one of the partners
一位合伙人的助理律师
on the preliminary hearing,
我就想 “就是它了
and I think, “This is it.
“我之后的职业生涯全靠这一搏了”
“This is what will define the rest of my career.”
听证会越来越近
So, the hearing’s getting closer and closer,
我甚至买♥♥了一件负担不起的西装
I even get this new suit that I can’t afford —
我分三张信♥用♥卡♥刷的
I split it over three credit cards.
可能现在还在还钱
I’m probably still paying it off to this day.
我一大早就去了 穿着我的新西装
So, I go in bright and early, I’m wearing my new suit,
准备桌上的材料 这时抗辩方走进来
prepping my table, and in walks the opposing counsel.
他们有四个人 一个高级合伙人
There’s four of them — one senior partner
还有三个高级律师
and three high-level associates.
我还没出生他们就开始干这行了
These guys have been litigating longer than I’ve been alive.
但我想的是 “没什么大不了的
But I think, “Mm, I’m good.
“我老板来了就没事了”
“I got my boss coming. It’ll be fine.”
我就一个人坐在桌前
So, I’m sitting alone, at my table,
等着老板现身
waiting for my boss to show.
我等啊等
And I’m waiting.
等啊等
And I’m waiting.
突然 他们宣布开庭
And then, suddenly, u202dthey’re calling us to order,
我才意识到我的律所没人来
and I realize that no one from my firm is coming.
只有我一个
It’s just me.
我心想 “好吧
So I think, “All right, then.
“是时候了”
“This is the moment.”
我上前拼了老命地辩论
And I get up there, and I argue like my life depended on it.
汗流浃背 旁征博引
I’m sweating, and I’m citing statutes left and right.
我表现得还行
And I’m doing okay. Respectable.
但我这把BB枪难敌四架榴弹炮
But I’m just a BB gun to these four howitzers.
我当然输了
And I lose, of course.
不可避免
It was inevitable.
但之后我突然意识到
But later, it hit me
我的老板根本就没打算到场
that my boss never intended to show.
他们都一笑而过
And they all laughed about it.
拍着我背说 那是对我的考验
They patted me on the back, said it was my trial by fire,
我也跟他们一起笑 但你知道
and I laughed with them, but, you know,
我觉得很不好受
It never really sat well with me.
你需要他们的支持
You want them to have your back.
因为最后我才知道
Because at the end of the day,
那不是为了考验我的勇气
it wasn’t about proving my mettle.
而是我老板不想错过高尔夫
My boss had a tee time that he didn’t want to miss.
我在那儿没待多久
I wasn’t there long.
可以问下你为什么叫我…来这吗
Could I ask why we… are here?
我已经注意你很久了
You know, I’ve had my eye on you for a while.
自从凯特尔曼一案开始
Since that Kettleman thing.
你真是为他搞定了一桩极好的案子
That was an excellent deal you got for him.
我想知道为什么
And I’m wondering why someone
一个可以搞定那一单的人
who could put together a deal like that
没有后援 明知要输 却还要辩护
is arguing a losing position with no backup.
我对哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所没有怨言
I have no complaints about HHM.
很好
That’s great.
但是 如果你碰巧正在寻求改变
However, if on the off chance, if you’re pondering a change,
斯韦卡特考科利会很乐意
Schweikart and Cokely would be more than happy
善用你的才华
to put your talents to good use.
当然我们得有更正式的会面
Of course, we’d have to have a more formal meeting,
讨论细节 但我们认为你会非常合适
work out specifics, but we think you would be a great fit.
我受宠若惊
Well, I’m — I’m flattered,
但这明显存在职业道德问题
but there’s clearly an ethical issue here.
当然是等你弄完矶鹞渡的案子
Well, of course, u202dwe’d take you off Sandpiper.
你放心
And rest assured,
我们不想要哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所的
we wouldn’t be expecting any information
任何策略信息
about HHM strategy.
我们是一家大规模多元化的律所
Look, we’re a large, diversified firm.
想想你可以用我们的资源成就什么
And just think what you can do with our resources
可以自♥由♥地展翅翱翔
and the freedom u202dto really spread your wings.
这…
That’s…
我亏欠哈姆林麦吉尔联合律所很多
I owe a lot to HHM.
学费债务吗 我们可以替你偿还
Your tuition debt? u202dWe can take care of that.
真慷慨
That’s very generous.
花点时间考虑一下
Well, give it some time to think about it.
你来电♥话♥ 我们就安排会面
And you give me a call, and we’ll set up a meeting
会见其他高级合伙人
with the rest of the senior partners.
先说清楚…
And to be clear…
我说的可是合伙人机会
I’m talking partner track.
天哪肖恩 你是在莫斯科调的酒吗
Jesus, Sean, what — what’d you have to send to Moscow?
抱歉让您久等了 斯韦卡特先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!