You bust a drug dealer
缴获的现金你一辈子都挣不到
that has more cash than you’ll ever earn in a lifetime.
有些钱没有被归入证据上交 那又怎样
Some of it doesn’t make it back into evidence — so what?
你尝到了甜头 每个人都尝到了甜头
You took a taste. So did everyone else.
然后你就觉得自己安全了
That’s how you knew you were safe.
就像刺杀凯撒 其实每个人都有份
It’s like killing Caesar — everyone’s guilty.
马特没有拿脏钱
Matt wasn’t dirty.
我拿了
I was.
那个辖区每个人都拿了
Everyone was in that precinct.
我们就是这样办事的
That’s how it worked.
供出你的同伴 等于自寻死路
You turn in your buddy, you’re screwing yourself.
你只能随波逐流
You go along to get along.
你随波逐流了
And you went along.
是的
I did.
是啊
Yeah.
是的
I did.
可你说马特没有
Okay. But you said Matt didn’t.
对
No.
不是马特
Not Matt.
芬斯基早就找上霍夫曼
Fensky got to Hoffman early —
他们向帮派收取回扣
kickbacks from some gang or another —
也就是保护费
protection, basically.
霍夫曼来找马蒂想拉他下水
And Hoffman went to Matty and offered to cut him in.
挺公平的 不是吗 他们是搭档
Only fair, right? They were partners.
而马特的反应和你想的一样…
And Matt did what you would think —
他很纠结
He agonized.
然后他来找我
And then he came to me,
说要去找内务部
wanted to go to the I.A.,
伸张正义 告发他们
do the right thing, shut ’em down.
我的天啊 你让他去了吗
Oh, my God. And you let him?
这就是他被杀的原因
That’s why he got killed —
因为他要告发别人是吗
‘Cause he was gonna turn on those guys?
不 不是
No. No.
我对他说…
I told him…
你知道警♥察♥最怕什么吗
You know what a cop fears most?
胜过被枪杀 胜过一切
More than getting shot, more than anything?
是坐牢
Prison —
跟你以前逮捕的人关在一起
Getting locked up with everybody you put away.
拿这个威胁一个警♥察♥ 会让他不择手段
You threaten a cop with that, you make him dangerous,
我就是这么对他说的
and that’s what I told him.
我跟他讲道理
I talked sense.
这样大家都可以相安无事
No one was getting hurt.
可如果你去找内务部
But if you go to the I.A.,
哪怕你稍微表现出这种想法…
if you even look like you’re going…
他有老婆 有孩子
He had a wife, a kid,
有责任
responsibilities.
接受这笔钱 用它做些好事
Take the money. Do something good with it.
我尽力了
Well…I tried.
我尽力了
I tried.
可他就是听不进去
But he wouldn’t listen.
我儿子太倔强了
My boy was stubborn.
太要强了
My boy was strong.
他这样会把自己逼上死路的
And he was gonna get himself killed.
所以我对他说…
So I told him…
我对他说 我也干过这种事
I told him I did it, too,
我和霍夫曼一样 用卑鄙的手段过活
That I was like Hoffman, getting by,
这就是你那晚听到的那通电♥话♥
and that’s what you heard that night —
我想说服他
me talking him down,
他奋力挣扎 最后没了力气
him kicking and screaming until the fight went out of him.
他一直把我当作偶像
He put me up on a pedestal…
所以我不得不向他坦白
…and I had to show him
我和其他人一样一身污秽
that I was down in the gutter with the rest of them.
他崩溃了
Broke my boy.
我把我的孩子弄崩溃了
I broke my boy.
他去找霍夫曼 接受了钱
He went to Hoffman, he took the money,
但他犹豫了
but he hesitated.
即便看上去他照他们两个的吩咐做了
Even looking like you’re doing the right thing to those two
他们还是觉得他不可靠 不信任他
meant that he wasn’t solid, that he couldn’t be trusted.
我让马蒂去接受那笔钱
I got Matty to take the money.
两天后他们就杀了他
And they killed him two days later.
他是我所知道的最要强的人
He was the strongest person that I ever knew.
即使是为了保命 他也不会做出这种事
He’d have never done it, not even to save himself.
是我…
I was the only one —
只有我能让他像那样堕落
I was the only one that could get him to debase himself like that.
结果是徒劳的
And it was for nothing.
我让他变成了懦夫
I made him lesser.
变得像我一样
I made him like me.
到头来那群混♥蛋♥还是杀了他
And the bastards killed him anyway.
霍夫曼和芬斯基…
Hoffman and Fensky…
如果马蒂是他们杀的
if they killed Matty…
那是谁杀了他们
Who killed them?
爸 到底怎么回事
Pop…what happened?
你知道是怎么回事
You know what happened.
问题是…
The question is…
你能接受吗
can you live with it?