but my aunt is determined.
如果贝雷斯福德小姐能算是的话
If one were to count, I have
但我和她才见过3次
not even been acquainted with Miss Beresford on…
都还不太熟
3 occasions.
那你不回汉姆斯特德
Is she not terribly
她应该不会很失望
disappointed that you will not return to Hampstead?
我阿姨吗
My aunt?
我猜贝雷斯福德小姐应该没有
Well, I doubt Miss Beresford
我听到的那么想嫁给我
has any more wish to marry me than I hear.
我宁愿在伦敦被人嫌弃死
I should rather make a nuisance of myself alone in London
也不愿意回汉姆斯特德结婚
than in an unwanted marriage in Hampstead.
大家都去哪了 行李都不见了
Where is everyone, Mabel? All the carriages are gone.
小姐们和默里夫人出门去了 老爷
The ladies and Miss Murray are out calling, Your Lordship.
黛朵和她们一起吗
Is Dido with them?
应该是吧
I believe so.
你是个爱好奇的人吗
Were you a curious child?
绝对的 伊丽莎白总是问我问题
Completely. Elizabeth always asked the questions for me.
亲爱的贝蒂
Dear, dear Bette.
爸爸几天后就要宣布了
Papa is to finally speak in a few days and…
我担心尽管论据很有说服力
I fear, despite persuasive argument,
但是你父亲还是不会被打动
your papa has not been moved.
我相信他还没准备好和商人们作对
I’m not certain he is ready to go against the traders.
他们在这些岛上颇有些权势
They are some of the most powerful in these isles…
毕竟他们是英国的财源
and theirs are the finances that hold up England, after all.
任何反对奴隶贸易的人
The enemies of any man who
都会认为是捣乱分子
stood against the trade would be vicious.
但如果…他站出来了
And yet, if he does… stand up…
作为英国首席大♥法♥官
if he speaks the words and condemns the trade,
如果他公开谴责了奴隶贸易
the Lord Chief Justice of England, then it may be impossible
在英国以及殖民地
for the slave laws of
奴隶法律就可能更改
England and its colonies to remain absolute.
你说得对
That is a fact.
自从沃克斯豪尔一别 他就音讯全无
I’ve heard nothing from him since Vauxhall, Dido.
我之前确信总有一天
I was certain an announcement was
他会来向我提亲
to be made any day… that he meant it this time.
那他就是个食言的伪君子
Then he is not a man of his word.
我会帮你找到最体贴的好丈夫
I will help you find the kindest, most wonderful of husbands.
还有
And…
我要让爸爸把我得到遗产的
I shall ask papa to use
一部分给你做嫁妆
a portion of my inheritance for your dowry.
真的吗
You would do that?
贝蒂 为了你心甘情愿
Bette… anything for you.
黛朵
Dido…
我过去几天一直在想
I have been of the mind these last few days that…
是不是我太穷了
it is my little means that
所以詹姆斯才不肯来
has delayed James in making his approach.
我觉得你是对的
I think you may be right.
太谢谢你了
Then I cannot thank you enough.
贝蒂
Bette?
我会让爸爸立刻写信给阿什福德夫人
I will ask papa to write immediately to Lady Ashford.

No?
詹姆斯·阿什福德不是善类 他不适合你
James Ashford is not kind. He is not appropriate.
适合
Appropriate?
他是你未婚夫的哥哥
The brother of the man
怎么会不适合我
you are to marry is not appropriate for me?
你和他不合适 贝蒂
He does not desire you, Bette!
就算他娶你 总有一天你也会后悔的
Or at least, even if he does, you would regret such a mistake.

He…
猥亵了我 贝蒂
laid his hands on me, Bette… in the most ungentlemanly fashion.
你为什么编这个故事
Why should you say such a thing?
他伤害了我
He hurt me.
你是个骗子
You are a liar!
-我为什么要骗你 -我不知道
– Why would I lie to you? – I don’t know.
你难道看不出来吗 他都不愿意碰你
Have you never been able to see? He would never touch you!
-贝蒂 -你配不上他
– Bette… – You are beneath him!
我配不上他吗
I am beneath him?
是的
Yes.
-是的 你这个… -什么
– Yes! You are… – What?
我怎么样 贝蒂
Tell me what I am, Bette!
你这个…
You are…
你这个野种
you are illegitimate!
你难道不好奇为什么
Have you never wondered why
你都不允许和客人们一起吃饭
you were not permitted to eat with our guests?
我父母是没有结婚 你是对的
My mother and father never married, you are correct.
但是我是父亲的亲骨肉
But my father acknowledged me as his child.
是你父亲拒绝承认你
It is yours who refuses to
所以你才这么穷
legitimize your position and that is why you are poor.
所以不是我配不上
And that is why it is not
詹姆斯先生 而是你
me who is beneath Mr. James. It is not me.
-爸爸 -这小子野心勃勃想搞定你
– Papa. – This man’s ambition includes you.
你将为了这个无名小卒
You will endure shame and
忍♥受屈辱 饱受威胁
risk your position for a man without name…
他会玷污你的芳名 让你臭名远播
who will sully yours and drag your reputation into the gutter.
你的概括让我很生气
I take great offense at your
你从来都没有了解过我
summation of my character without ever even taking a moment to know me.
-你无权这么说 -我有任何权利
– Where is your right? – I have every right.
直到你停止评判
Not until you cease from judging the entire world
谁高高在上谁低人一等
as those above and those below
真正把人当人看
and begin to see people as people.
他们也是和你一样
Human beings who think
会思考会感知的人类
and feel no more or less than you do.
我只知道在白赛姿
I know there is a lady in Belsize
有一位女士等着成为你的妻子
who is waiting to be your wife.
不 那只是我野心勃勃的阿姨
No, I have an ambitious aunt in Belsize…
她像你一样 觉得财富和名声
who, like you, assumes that wealth and reputation
是生活的唯一乐趣
are all that life depends on
而诋毁爱情
and despises love
觉得爱是
as though it were
魔鬼的发明
the devil’s own creation!
-你所说的爱… -是啊
– You claim love… – Yes! Yes…
我爱她
I love her!
我每时每刻都爱着她
I love her with every breath I breathe!
走吧 约翰
Go, John.
你不该在这的
You do not deserve this.
约翰·琳赛上尉绝不会这么做
Captain Sir John Lindsay would never have behaved like this.
那是因为他早死了
Captain Sir John Lindsay would never have behaved like this because he was never here!
你这是自毁姻缘
You are destroying your possibilities
他是唯一会关心你的男人
with the only gentleman who will consider you.
这就是你想要的结果吗
Is that what you want?
自大的寄生虫
Arrogant parasite!
让她充满了无用的理想
Fills her head with worthless ideals.
企图创建一个更好的世界
Wants to make the world a better place.
他那幼稚的运动
And his childish campaign
徒增了对我的嘲笑
simply adds to the ridicule aimed at me…
用那些卑鄙的小册子
in those contemptible pamphlets.
现在却装得和个圣人一样 对责骂免疫
And now, like some kind of saint, immune from reproach.
你也曾说过一样的话
You said something identical once
说你想要改变世界
that you wanted to change the world.
是在你就任很久之前的事了
Quite some time before you entered your chambers, of course.
现在你目中无人 遵循守旧
Defiant, principled
拼命地想要保住
desperate to secure your
你在当权者中的地位
position amongst the Establishment but
但你对于他们又有些激进
always a little too radical for them.
我从未触犯过法律
I never broke the rules.
你只是变得有权制定新法律了而已
You simply became powerful enough to make new ones.
我一直觉得在我们牵手以前
I always felt that you already loved me
你就已经爱上我了
when I gave you my hand.
毫无疑问 我们是天作之合
That we were a good match was never a doubt
但是我认为我当初绝对不会嫁给一个
but I don’t think I could have married a gentleman
没有斗志的男人
without that light in his eye.
我心里明白 每一次他望向我的瞬间

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!