Finance may go some way but…
但是社会习俗更被人重视
society has a habit of disregarding even one of its own…
有时候 甚至会让人忽视自己
when opportunity provides.
但是晚餐之后
But after dinner,
正式礼节变得不那么重要的时候
when formality is of less consequence…
那么
well…
你的出现就不会引起非议了
your presence can raise no defendable objections.
如您所愿 先生
As you wish… sir.
我想和黛朵一同进餐
I would rather dine with Dido.
真可惜 我们的年轻绅士
What a great pity. Our young
会想你的 伊丽莎白
gentlemen guests will miss you, Elizabeth.
年轻的绅士
Young gentlemen?
关系都很好
Very good connections.
都很惹人爱
And most agreeable by all accounts.
给我闭上嘴听好
Now close your mouth and understand.
今晚除了英语不能用其他语言交谈
There shall be no discussion tonight in any language but English.
不要和绅士窃窃私语
No whispering in gentlemen’s ears,
不准说拉丁语 意大利语
not in Latin, Italian…
尤其不要给我出现法语
and certainly not in French.
不得不说 全国都在屏息期待
I must say, the entire country barely breathes…
你对桑格号♥上诉的判决
awaiting your judgment on the Zong appeal.
毫无疑问 都担心你会给国家带来损害
Terrified you will destroy England, no doubt.
我知道阿什福德阁下也不例外
I know Lord Ashford is.
他很疑惑为什么你拖了这么久
He does wonder, however, what might be taking you so long.
法律 阿什福德女士
The law, Lady Ashford,
不能只是照本宣科 而要有理有据
it is to be interpreted not merely administered.
这一点你的丈夫比谁都清楚
Your husband, of all people, knows this.
怎么总是谈论货船死人案件
Oh, what a lot of fuss over dead cargo.
这事关许多国民的
It is a fuss over the bread and butter of
收入和生计 阿什福德夫人 许许多多的人
a great many people in this country, Lady Ashford. A great many.
天哪 法语说得真好
Why, what wonderful French.
尽管我不明白你说了什么
Though I have not an idea of what you said.
温布莱吉
Wimbridge.
琳赛女士
Miss Lindsay?
外面有偷猎者
There are poachers wandering.
晚上好
Good evening to you.
我叫约翰·达文尼尔
Uh… My name is John Davinier.
我感觉我可能打扰到
I believe I may have disturbed
这家的一位女士了 就是她
a lady of this house. Ah! There she is.
请原谅我 尽管你…
Please, forgive me, though you barely…
先生 我不认识你
Sir, I do not believe we have been introduced.
确实
Indeed.
告诉这位女士 我很抱歉让她受惊了
Please inform the lady of my apologies for startling her.
我抄近路来的
I took a shortcut to deliver
这是给曼斯菲尔德阁下的
this to Lord Mansfield.
是我父亲给的
From my father.
是哪位阁下
Sir?
达文尼尔牧师
Reverend… Davinier.
放心 我会交给他的
I will see that he gets it immediately…
你不应该在他吃饭的时候打搅他
You shall not interrupt him at dinner, Wimbridge.
晚饭过后马上给你送去 先生
Immediately after dinner, sir.
-晚安 -晚安 先生
– Goodnight. – Goodnight, sir.
亲爱的黛朵
Dido, my dear.
爸爸
Papa?
天哪 黑鬼 她真的是…
Good Lord, it’s the negro. She really is…
-是位女士 -不错
– A lady. – Capital.
没想到她这么…黑
I had no idea she would be so… black.
你在传谣言的时候
Did you not listen to the
没有想到吗 妈妈
rumors when you were spreading them, Mama?
介绍一下这是我第二个侄女
May I present the second of my two nieces:
黛朵·琳赛小姐
Miss Dido Lindsay.
很荣幸 琳赛小姐
A pleasure, Miss Lindsay.
詹姆斯是长子
James is the eldest.
将要继承阿什福德的一切
To inherit the entire Ashford fortune.
他也要继承他的叔叔遗产
He’s also to inherit from his uncle,
他叔叔挺健康 看起来气色不错
a healthy man, who shows little sign of departure.
她很迷人 不是吗
She is intriguing, is she not?
我觉得她很讨厌
I find her repulsive.
好吧 我觉得她像是
Well, I suppose she is…
一朵稀有的异国花朵
if you find a most rare and exotic flower so.
他有许多可取之处
He has much to recommend him.
能继承两笔财产谁不爱啊
And a second fortune in life should please any wife.
黛朵 你不准和他调情
Dido. You are not to be a coquette with him.
你已经有一笔财产了
You already have your fortune.
人们不会和稀有的外国女人结婚
One does not make a wife of the rare and exotic,
奥利弗
Oliver.
只会在印度棉花田里尝尝鲜
One samples it on the cotton fields of the Indies.
都近在咫尺何必跑去这么远
Why so far when it is right at my door?
天哪 他们在议论我
Good Lord, they are appraising me.
找朵纯种英国玫瑰来装饰你的家吧
Then find a pure English rose to decorate one’s home.
大不列颠 向你致敬
Britain hail O hail to thee
你是海上最美的土地
Fairest island in the sea
是我最爱的土地
Though my favorite land shalt be
她开始交际了吗
Is she ‘out’?
并没有
Not quite.
随时都行
Any day now.
是我最爱的土地
Though my favorite land shalt be
大不列颠 向你致敬
Britain hail All hail to thee
你是海上最美的土地
Fairest island in the sea?
禁止你和这黑鬼的一切交流
You will refrain from any intercourse with the negro.
他们可能认为有一个
They may find it fascinating to
黑白混血儿养着很光彩
have a Lady mulatto running around in their house…
但我绝不会让这种事发生在我们家
but I will not have one running around in mine.
她可是个继承人
She is an heiress.
也有可能发生变故
Although exceptions can be made.
据说她父亲留给她一大笔财富
It is said her father left her a rather vast fortune.
如果你就喜欢这样
I mean to say, if that is your inclination.
她的眼眸温润如水
She is rather soft on the eye.
我没想太多 妈妈
I have thought no further of it, Mama.
你哪来的消息
Where do you get your information?
她的表姐是个大嘴巴
Her sister-cousin has a rather fast tongue.
那么你呢 琳赛小姐
And what of you, Miss Lindsay?
我们今晚能有幸听到你的演奏吗
Are we to hear you play tonight?
这…
Well…
爸爸
Papa?
别把她藏着掖着 先生
Oh, do not be selfish with your good fortune, m’Lord.
这下有趣了
This will be most interesting.
她从没在别人面前演奏过
She’s never played in company.
她真是个才女
She is… most accomplished.
因为有最勤奋的家庭教师
Hers was a most diligent governess.
他的家世引起了她的注意
His family name will no doubt induce her to take him seriously.
她是个明事理的姑娘
She must not delude herself.
这种决定不该她做
Such decisions are not hers to make.
那就跟她挑明吧
Well, then spell it out to her
在她向所谓的绅士
before she renders herself
提出残忍♥的承诺之前
sport to some ‘gent’ of cruel promises.
她没必要 凭她的财产不结婚也可以
She has no reason. Her inheritance leaves her free of the usual inducements to marry.
这倒是真的
That at least is true.
不过伊丽莎白必须找个人嫁
It is Elizabeth who must secure her bread and butter.
肖像画 你确定
A portrait? Are you sure?
是啊 我和玛丽阿姨确认了
Yes. Aunt Mary has confirmed it.
天哪 真是太好了
Good Lord, how truly wonderful.
-但是 -但是什么
– But… – But what?
爸爸 在做决定之前他难道不想见我吗
Papa, should he not have wished to see me before deciding?
抱歉 我不知道你…
Sorry, I did not know you…
达文尼尔先生
Mr. Davinier,
我想你们已经见过面了
I believe you’ve already had the pleasure.
某种程度上
In some way,
确实 琳赛女士
yes. Miss Lindsay.
什么决定
Decide what?
决定是否要给我画肖像画

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!