Malkovich, on his 44th birthday.
到时他将会成熟
That’s when he becomes ripe.
我必须在那天午夜之前进入
But I must enter by midnight on that day.
否则 我会转入下一个新生婴儿体内
After that, I’d get diverted into the next newly forming infant vessel.
我不要那样
I don’t want that to happen.
因为我会被吸收
I’d be absorbed.
吸收 什么意思
Absorbed? What does that mean?
像囚犯一样被困在宿主的脑袋里
Well, uh, trapped, held prisoner, if you like, in the host’s brain…
无法控制
unable to control anything…
注定永远用别人的眼光看世界
forever doomed to watch the world through someone else’s eyes.
我介绍一些朋友给你认识
Now I’d like you to meet some friends.
我一个人很寂寞…
See, I got lonely in Lester by myself…
所以这次我带别人一起去
so I figured out a way this time to take others along with me.
来吧
Come.
各位 这是洛蒂
Everyone, this is Lotte.
嗨 洛蒂
Hi, Lotte!
她是我的新朋友
She’s a new friend of mine.
为我表演一场木偶秀 克雷格甜心
Do a puppet show for me, Craig, honey.
用马尔科维奇
You mean, with Malkovich?
我爱看你表演
I’d love to see your work.
真的
Really?
什么
Yeah?
好
Okay.
我称之为…
This is something that I call…
“克雷格的绝望与醒悟之舞”
“Craig’s Dance of Despair and Disillusionment.”
太精彩了 你真行
That was incredible! You’re… You’re brilliant!
你看 玛克辛 这不只是玩洋娃娃
You see, Maxine, it isn’t just playing with dolls.
喔 亲爱的 好太多了
Oh, my darling, it’s so much more!
这是操纵一个活生生的人
It’s playing with people.
永远留在他的体内
Stay in him forever.
亲爱的 我们要如何赚钱
My darling, how will we make a living
假如我们的顾客不能使用我们的产品呢
if our clientele doesn’t have access to our product?
我们有马尔科维奇的存款
Well, we’ll have all the money in Malkovich’s bank account…
加上他又偶而有戏约
plus he does get acting work occasionally.
不 拜托
No, please!
闭嘴 我们在想事情
Shut up! We’re trying to think here.
这跟操纵木偶有点像
It is… It is sort of like puppeteering.
我喜欢那样
I-I-I like that about it.
没错
Exactly!
没有人会知道这不是他
And no one would ever even have to know it’s not him.
我可以用马尔科维奇的名气
And I could use Malkovich’s existing notoriety…
来开创我的木偶事业
to launch my own puppeteering career.
喔 克雷格 太棒了
Oh, Craigy. Craigy, that’s brilliant.
我一直想知道有屌♥感觉
So lovely. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have a penis.
-现在我可以体会到 -真的 我知道…
-Now I’ll know. -Really? I know it’s very…
洛蒂 我们喜欢你
Lotte? We like you.
我们看得出你是好心 正派的女人…
We can see you’re a kind and decent woman…
因此…
and so…
我们决定在马尔科维奇体内给你一个位子…
we’ve decided to offer you a place in John Malkovich with us…
如果你喜欢
if you like.
莱斯特博士…
Dr. Lester…
你对我这么亲切和信任…
you’ve been so kind to me and trusting.
关于马尔科维奇的事情 我想你应该要知道
there’s just something I think you should know about the Malkovich vessel.
约翰找你 可以让他进来吗
John’s here to see you. Should I send him in?
当然让他进来
Of course send him right in.
以后不可以让他等 你懂吗
Don’t ever keep him waiting again, you understand?
嘿 约翰
Hey, John.
很高兴见到你 接待小姐太失礼了
Great to see you. Sorry about the cunt at reception.
这是我的未婚妻 玛克辛
This is my fiancee, Maxine.
很高兴见到你 玛克辛
Oh, great to see you, Maxine.
接待小姐太失礼了 请坐
Sorry about the cunt at reception. Please, have a seat.
要不要喝点咖啡 还是水
Can I get you anything? Coffee? Water?
不用了 谢谢
No, thank you.
泰莉萨 给我一杯鸡汤
Teresa, get me chicken soup.
好
Okay.
鸡汤 要来点鸡汤吗
Chicken soup? Chicken soup?
赖瑞 我就直说了
Larry? Uh… I want to get right to the point.
从现在开始 我不再是个演员 我是一个木偶师
From now on, I’m no longer an actor. I’m a puppeteer.
好 太好了
Okay. Great.
我要改变我的事业…
And I would like to redirect my career…
从今以后 约翰·马尔科维奇的名字…
so that from now on the name John Malkovich…
将与木偶画上等号♥
will be synonymous with puppets.
好 没问题 你现在是木偶师
Sure. Sure. No problemo. Poof, you’re a puppeteer.
我会打几通电♥话♥安排一下
Just let me make a couple calls.
亲爱的
Honey?
玛克辛
Maxine?
玛克辛
Maxine?
我在忙
I’m busy.
玛克辛 甜心 开始了
Maxine, honey, it’s on!
有实话 也有谎言
Yeah, there’s the truth, and there are lies…
艺术永远说实话 即使是在说谎时
and, uh, art always tells the truth, even when it’s lying.
谜样的约翰·马尔科维奇
The enigmatic John Malkovich…
世界上最伟大的表演者之一
one of the world’s greatest entertainers and the man who reinvented…
改变世人对木偶戏的观感
how we view puppeteering.
今晚我们要介绍这位操纵木偶的人
Tonight we look at the man above the strings…
以及他背后的女人
and the woman behind the man.
生长于伊利诺伊州的艾文斯顿镇
Raised in Evanston, Illinois,
马尔科维奇从小就热爱剧院艺术…
Malkovich had a lifelong interest in theater arts…
他年纪轻轻就成为芝加哥闻名世界
and as a young man was one of the founding members…
史戴凡沃夫剧团的创始团员
of Chicago’s world-renowned Steppenwolf Theatre Company.
从此他平步青云进入百老汇
From there, it was a simple hop, skip and a ijump to Broadway accolades…
并且迈向好莱坞
and Hollywood stardom.
然而谁也没有料到他的下一步转变
But nothing could prepare the public for what was to come next.
就在短短的八个月前
And so it was that ijust eight short months ago…
约翰·马尔科维奇的决定
John Malkovich dropped the bombshell that sent shock waves…
震惊整个娱乐界
through the entertainment community.
放弃他以前的事业
Turning his back on his former profession,
马尔科维奇从头开始…
Malkovich had to start from scratch…
以木偶初学者的身份重新奋斗
and pay his dues all over again as a fledgling puppeteer.
各位女士先生 我是约翰·马尔科维奇
Hello, ladies and gentlemen, I’m John Malkovich.
我真的是约翰·马尔科维奇
It’s… It’s the… I miss… I’m really John Malkovich.
尽管是起步维艰
From these inauspicious beginnings…
约翰·马尔科维奇最后却一夕成名
John Malkovich’s rise to stardom was fast and furious.
他在今年的艾美奖上一鸣惊人
His breakout performance occurred at this year’s Emmy Awards…
很不错 我看起来真的很棒
It’s really good! I look really amazing. I’d fuck me.
让我苦恼的是…
If there’s anything that upsets me about it…
如果我太快投入…
it’s feeling like if I move into it too quickly…
我会被视为模仿者
I’ll be, you know, deemed an imitator.
但我想只要我们有勇气…
But, um, I think that once we all get the courage…
跟随直觉 就像马尔科维奇那样…
to just follow through on our instincts, like Malkovich has…
我想 很多人都会投入木偶戏
I think that, uh, a lot of us will move into puppetry.
马尔科维奇带动木偶艺术的复兴
Malkovich’s rise to fame brought about a renaissance in puppeteering.
不对 你在做什么
No, no, no. What are you doing? What are you doing?
我在让他哭
I’m making him weep, John.
你让他哭 自己却没哭
You’re making him weep, but you are not weeping.
不要…你的观众
Don’t ever… with your audience.
除非木偶成为你的延伸
Until the… the puppet becomes… an extension of you,
否则都是廉价 粗俗的把戏
it’s a novelty act. It’s, uh… It’s Topo Gigio.
不是吗
No?
他是工艺天才
He’s a technical genius.
他把生命注入无生命的对象
He breathes life into inanimate obijects.
这是非常庄严的事…
It’s a very godlike thing…
能够让东西活起来
to be able to take something and, you know, make it live.
他是话题人物…
He was the talk of the town…
从小剧场到百老汇…
from the Beltway to Broadway…
他的新婚妻子兼经理人玛克辛扮演了很重要的角色
aided in no small part by his new wife and manager, Maxine Lund.
在玛克辛身上 马尔科维奇找到他的精神支柱…
In Maxine, Malkovich had found his mentor…
谬思和灵感
his muse, his inspiration.
在马尔科维奇身上 玛克辛找到她的终生至爱
In Malkovich, Maxine had found the love of her life.
亲爱的 别激动
There, there, my dear. Relax.
这场闹剧在天亮前就会结束