effectively banned from Hollywood in the early ’30s,
30年代被好莱坞封♥杀♥
ended up working as a salesgirl at Saks Fifth Avenue.
最后成了萨克斯第五大道的女售货员
I love her.
我喜欢她
And Veronica Lake.
还有维罗尼卡·雷克
Was a pin-up model and a film star.
当过封♥面♥女♥郎♥ 拍过电影
Success was short-lived,
成功转瞬即逝
a series of broken marriages.
经历了一些列失败的婚姻
She struggled with mental illness and alcoholism.
饱受精神病与酒精的折磨
She died of hepatitis at the age of fifty-three.
因肝炎逝世 终年53岁
All these actor stories end sad.
这些演员的命运都很凄惨
I can tell you that already.
我现在就能告诉你
That’s not a good thing.
当演员不容易
So. Now I want real Mexican food.
我想吃正宗的墨西哥菜
And I want to try page
我还想试试
forty-six.
46页这个体♥位♥
No. Yeah.
不 来吧
Really?
吃这里的?
It’s really good.
很好吃的
What do you think?
味道怎样
It’s so good.
很好吃
It’s good. Mmm.
好吃
I wasn’t sure you’d like it. Why?
我怕你不爱吃 为什么
You’re an actress and staying in that fancy hotel.
你是个演员 住那种高级宾馆
I like this place.
我喜欢这种地方
I used to love hotels.
我以前很喜欢住酒店
But now I’m always in a
但现在总在陌生的
new apartment or in another hotel somewhere.
酒店和公♥寓♥间辗转
How do you keep hold of friends? Or boyfriends?
你怎么交朋友 交男朋友?
Makes it very easy to end up alone.
现在这样 很容易就离群索居
To leave people.
形单影只
You can stay in the same
就算住在同一个地方
place and still find ways to leave people.
也可能离群索居
You are like that?
你是这种人吗
It’s what you do?
离群索居的
So, we are the same?
那我们是同病相怜了
Yeah, I guess so.
大概是吧
Oh, did I wake you?
我吵醒你了?
Yeah. Thank you, Maria.
谢谢你 马妮娅
And now that you’re here,
既然你醒了
would you please put those up there?
来帮我整理好吗
What are you… Pop.
老爸 你这…
What…
怎么…
I’m reorganizing.
我在整理书架
Prednisone makes you crazy.
强的松[药物]让你睡不着了
I’m just not sleepy. I feel great.
我一点都不困 感觉好极了
Pop, you should rest.
老爸 你该休息了
Soon as I finish these papers. Right, papers?
看完报纸就去 对吧 报纸们
Right, Hal. As soon as you’re done, you can rest.
是的豪尔 你看完就马上去睡
What?
怎么了
Nothing. You’re pretty.
没什么 你很漂亮
No.
不
Yeah.
很漂亮
Jewish girls are not pretty.
犹太少女不漂亮
They can be interesting or cute, but not pretty.
她们风趣伶俐 但不漂亮
You’re kidding, right?
你开玩笑吧
That’s what my mom told me.
我妈是这么说的
She did not.
她才不会这么说
No, you’re right.
答对了
This girl at school told me that,
是以前一个女同学说的
and I went home and my mom said,
回家以后我妈问
”Anna, who told you that?”
“谁这么跟你说的”
This is what it looks like
当时是2003年
when Anna tells me about being Jewish in 2003.
安娜告诉我她是犹太人
And when I tell her my mother was Jewish.
我告诉她 我妈也是犹太人
And that my father turned in his gay badge
我爸隐瞒自己的同性性倾向
when my mother turned in her Jewish badge.
我妈隐瞒自己的犹太血统
And they got married in 1955.
在1955年成婚
My mother didn’t know she was Jewish until she was thirteen.
我妈直到13岁才知道自己是犹太人
It was 1938.
当时是1938年
This is what people looked like.
当年的人是这样的
And lions and giraffes.
当年的狮子和长颈鹿
This man was the Man of the Year.
当年的《时代周刊》年度人物
Her father tried to hide that they were Jewish.
外公尝试隐瞒自家的犹太血统
This is the swim team that asked her to leave
这是妈曾经加入的游泳队
once they discovered that she was Jewish.
队里知道她是犹太人之后 就把她赶走了
This is what pretty looked like in 1938.
这是1938年的美女
My father realized he was gay when he was thirteen.
我爸13岁时发现自己是同志
It was 1938.
也是1938年
This is what pretty looked like.
这是当年的帅哥
This is the high school where they first met.
这是他们相识的高中
This is the war they both went to.
他们共同经历的战争
And this man was popular when they met again.
这是他们重逢时的当红明星
This is the only place
上世纪50年代
my father could hide and have sex in the ’50s.
父亲只能躲在这儿偷偷摸摸做♥爱♥
My father said if you got caught by the vice squad,
他说 要是被稽查队逮到了
you could lose everything.
就会失去一切
This is everything.
这些便是一切
My father laid down on a couch like this,
1955年 我父亲躺在这种沙发上
and told the psychiatrist all his problems in 1955.
向心理医生诉说自己的问题
The doctor told him that homosexuality was a mental illness,
医生告诉他同性恋是种心理疾病
but it could be cured.
但可以治愈
Not everyone got cured.
不是所有人都能治好
This is where my parents lived in 1955.
1955年 我父母住在这里
And this is
下面是首个
the home where the first gay-rights group were secretly meeting.
同志权益协会的秘密大本营
While they were reciting their vows here in this church,
他们在这座教堂里宣誓时
Allen Ginsberg was writing his famous poem,
几个街区外 艾伦·金斯堡就在这间房♥里
Howl, blocks away in this room.
创作那首著名的长诗《嚎叫》
“…who let themselves be fucked in the ass
“他们让神圣的摩托车手
by saintly motorcyclists,
挺进肛♥门♥
and screamed with joy,
还发出快活的大叫”
who blew and were blown by those human seraphim, the sailors,
“他们舔弄别人 也任由人类的六翼天使和水手们舔弄自己
caresses of Atlantic and Caribbean love…”
那是来自大西洋州和加勒比海的爱抚”
Just do the portrait of them.
只画肖像就行
It’s an album cover, right?
这是唱片专辑封面 对吧
That’s all they want. Yeah?
他们不要别的东西 行吗
Yeah.
行
Right.
好吧
Here, Pop. Oh, God.
老爸 吃药 天哪
I know, I know. Come on.
我懂我懂 快吃吧
Hey, no, no, no. That’s Gay Pride Day stuff. Just leave those.
别动 那是讲同志光荣日的 别动
All right.
好吧
And that’s gay book club. You better leave those, too.
那是同志书友会的 也都放那儿吧
But what about the chair? Is the chair gay?
这把椅子呢 也是个同志吗
The chair is not gay. Obviously.
它不是同志 当然不是
Pop, Pop, the cord won’t go so far.
老爸 当心输氧管
To hell with it.
去他妈的输氧管
Oh, what’s that?
那是什么
Now that you’re out of the hospital,
既然你出院了
you’ll have to exercise, get you back into shape.
就要开始锻炼身体了
That’s a great idea.
这主意不错
Okay, let’s try it. I’ll show you how.
咱们试试吧 我教你怎么玩
Yeah, later on.
好 待会儿的
I’m gonna make myself some tea.
我先沏杯茶喝
Okay. I’ll go clean it up. It’s a little bit…
好 我去擦擦它 有点脏
Your mother’s vase needs some flowers.
你妈花瓶里的花该换了
You need to tell Andy that you’re not well.
你该告诉安迪 病情不乐观
Pop, you’re just out of the hospital. You should take it easy.
老爸 你才出院 应该静养
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
是 是 是
You’ll tell him, won’t you?
你去跟他说吧