伯爵夫人 稀客啊
Madame le Comtesse. Seldom, too seldom,
您的到来让寒舍蓬荜生辉
my house receives the presence of nobility.
当然还有您的朋友 这边请
And, of course, its friends. Please.
您停留的时间不长 一刻都不能耽误
Your stay is short. There’s not a moment to lose.
我外甥已经安排好了
My nephew has devised a plan
在城里一系列的娱乐活动
of metropolitan amusement.
夫人 玩乐可是他的专长 您肯定也赞同这点
Pleasure is, as you would say, Madame, his forte.
真的吗
Ah, is it?
是哪场战役 汤姆
Which battle was it, Tom?
维勒斯-考其斯战役
ViIIers-en-Cauchies.
很好 数千人丧生 把法国佬打得人仰马翻
Very good. Thousands slain. Served those Frenchies out.
请原谅我的失礼 夫人
Saving your presence, ma’am.
不要因为我就不敢指责那些雅各宾派 法官阁下
Be not afraid of abusing the Jacobins on my account, Judge.
他们砍了我丈夫的头
They guillotined my husband.
真是野蛮人 畜生
Oh, savages. Beasts.
-那他的财产呢 -充公了
– And his property? – Confiscated.
真是场灾难
A disaster.
当然 不过当时我的财产大多都能随身带走
Of course, by then, much of my wealth was portable, so…
是啊 可以随身携带的财产
Yes, portable property
就是指小皮包带给人的幸福感
is happiness in a pocketbook.
你是在出言讽刺吗
Do I detect you in irony?
我个人认为
It is my considered opinion
讽刺就是面带笑容的羞辱
that irony is insult with a smiling face.
没错
Indeed.
不是
No.
不是吗
No?
不 讽刺是将对立的事实放在一起
No, irony is the bringing together of contradictory truths
并通过这种对比得出一个新的事实
to make out of the contradiction a new truth
同时让人开怀大笑或会心一笑
with a laugh or a smile,
我承认事实必定不能独♥立♥存在
and I confess that a truth must come with one or the other,
否则我就认为它是谬论
or I account it as false
也是对人性本质的否定
and a denial of the very nature of humanity itself.
我表妹是一名作家
My cousin is a writer.
写什么的
Of what?

Jane?
小说
Novels.
正派家族的年轻女子
A young woman of family?
没错 舅舅
Yes, uncle,
明天我们还要拜访另一位女作家 雷德克里夫夫人
and tomorrow we go and visit another, Mrs. Radcliffe.
她很少社交 可以算是位遁世者
She keeps herself to herself, almost a recluse,
但我通过法律结识了她的丈夫
but I know her husband through the law.

Who?
女作家 雷德克里夫夫人
The authoress, Mrs. Radcliffe.
-写作就是她的职业 -她的什么
– As writing is her profession. – Her what?
舅舅 她上一本小说卖♥♥了五百英镑
£500, uncle, for the last novel,
《尤道夫的奥秘》
The Mysteries of Udolpho.
-我相信下一本能卖♥♥八百英镑 -《意大利人》
– And £800, I believe, for her next. – The Italian.
一千多英镑
Above £1 ,000?
时代变了 时代变了
The times, the times.
您的生活很清静
You live so quietly.
但您的小说却充满了浪漫 危险和恐惧
And yet your novels are filled with romance, danger, terror.
所有我生活中缺少的东西
Everything my life is not.
显然如此
Apparently.
你想写什么小说
Of what do you wish to write?
能反映内心的小说
Of the heart.
你了解自己的内心吗
Do you know it?
并不全然了解
Not all of it.
总有一天会的
In time, you will.
但即使失败了
But even if that fails,
还可以靠想象力呢
that’s what the imagination is for.
你的想象力给你带来了独♥立♥
Your imagination has brought you independence.
我和我丈夫也付出了代价
At a cost to myself and to my husband.
可怜的威廉
Poor William.
娶了我这个被大家认为头脑不正常的女人为妻
To have a wife who has a mind is considered not quite proper.
我这个做妻子的 在文学上的声誉
To have a wife with a literary reputation
简直是丑闻
nothing short of scandalous.
但一定有可能
But it must be possible
同时扮演好妻子和作家的角色吧
to live as both wife and author?
或许是可能的吧
I think so.
虽然绝不容易
Though never easy.
我真的能拥有吗
Could I really have this?
拥有什么
What, precisely?

You.
我 怎么说
Me, how?
-和你共度余生 -当然
– This life with you. – Yes.
勒弗罗伊
Lefroy.
小声点 别惊动法官
Hush. The judge.
那家伙就像一条疯狗
The man’s like a rampant dog.
他会很仁慈的 我确定
He will be generous. I’m sure of it.
-你会找他谈谈的吧 -明天 我保证
– You’ll speak with him? – Tomorrow, I promise.
我真的要说晚安了
I really must say good night.
-晚安 -晚安
– Good night. – Good night.
奥斯汀小姐
Miss Austen?
什么事
Yes?
晚安
Good night.
我想我母亲说得对
You know, I think my mother is right.
赶紧把她嫁了 越早越好
A husband, and the sooner, the better.
五个出身不富裕的女孩
Five girls of little fortune.
《第一印象》
《傲慢与偏见》最初的书名
“坠入爱情的男人
“…sensibly and as warmly as
敏感且热烈”
a man violently in love can be supposed to do.”
“威克姆先生是当天最得意的男子
“Mr Wickham was the happy man towards
几乎所有女性的目光都集中在他身上”
whom almost every female eye was turned.”
“太偏心 存在偏见 近乎荒唐”
“…partial, prejudiced, absurd.”
“彭伯里森林一出现”
“Watch for the first appearance of Pemberley Woods.”
“这个回答使他感到从来没有过的快乐”
“The happiness which this reply produced…”
“这怎么行 我的感情压抑不住了”
“It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed.”
早安 先生
Good morning, sir.
你竟然向我问候早安
Good morning?
-世界是颠倒了吗 -先生
– Has the world turned topsy? – Sir?
伯爵夫人对这次造访应该还满意吧
I trust the countess is enjoying her visit?
-我想是的 先生 -真是个好女人 难得的好女人
– I gather she is, sir. I… – Fine woman, very fine woman.
确实如此
Indeed.
我有件事想跟您商量
I’d hoped to discuss a certain matter.
你的零用钱没有商量的余地
Your allowance is beyond negotiation.
既然您已经借此机会
Now that you have had the opportunity
认识了奥斯汀小姐
to become acquainted with Miss Austen yourself,
我相信您也和我一样
I am sure you will find, as I do,
觉得她是个了不起的年轻女子
that she is a remarkable young woman.
这真是太不像话了
This is an outrage!
请允许我说完 先生
If you will allow me to speak, sir.
没有必要 这封信上说得很清楚
There is no need. This letter makes it absolutely clear.
什么信
Letter?
现在我知道你在汉普郡都干了些什么
Now I know what you were at down in Hampshire.
这是从史蒂文顿寄来的
It is from Steventon.
你是不是真的和这个野丫头一起来愚弄我
Is it true that you have practiced upon me with this chit?
我希望您能好好了解下这位年轻小姐
I wished you to know the young lady.
我想郑重地把她介绍给您
I wished to introduce her to your affections discreetly.
是啊 带来一个有钱的寡妇让我眼瞎心盲
Aye! Blind me with the rich widow
然后让我慢慢接受这个一心想高嫁的穷姑娘
and then insinuate that penniless little husband-hunter!
请注意你的言辞 先生
Moderation, sir, I beg you!
那个爱讽刺的小女作家
That ironical little authoress.
我希望您能自己好好地了解她
I wished you to know her for yourself.
我相信她的美德足以证明她的优秀
I was certain her merit would speak for her.
考虑一下 先生 我的幸福掌握在您手上
Consider, sir, my happiness is in your hands.
幸福
Happiness?
该死的 外甥
Damn it, nephew,
我宁愿你是个终日流连于妓♥女♥丛中的无赖
I had rather you were a whore-mongering blackguard
但仍有改过自新的机会
with a chance of reform
也不愿你在不幸的婚姻中沉沦
than a love-sick whelp sunk in a bad marriage.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!