过来
Come,
握个手 这事就算过去了
take hands and there’s an end.
你要去哪
Where are you going?
-小姐 -去喂猪 夫人
– Miss! – To feed the pigs, ma’am.
他可以给你一个不愁吃穿的家
He could give you a splendid home.
-舒适的生活 -父亲
– A comfortable life. – Father.
考虑一下
Consider.
这可能是你最好的选择了
This is likely to be your best offer.
韦斯利吗
Wisley?
-当然 眼下他给人的印象… -就是个呆子
– It is true, so far he has not impressed… – A booby.
他年纪再大些就不会这样了
He should grow out of that.
贫穷是最能摧毁人灵魂的东西
Nothing destroys spirit like poverty.
我曾经在一场舞会上看到
I saw Queen Marie Antoinette
玛丽·安托瓦内特王后穿过类似的衣服
wear something the same at a ball once.
我是不是有点张扬
Am I making a show?
我是很张扬 我知道
I am, I know.
当我们喜欢上他们 要让他们也喜欢我们
What trouble we take to make them like us
要费多少工夫啊
when we like them.
你指亨利吗
Henry?
伊莱莎
Eliza,
-我哥哥的岁数比你小得多 -也比我穷得多
– my brother is much younger than you. – And poorer.
他知道我是真心喜欢他
He knows that I care for him sincerely.
我知道他很英俊…
I know that he is handsome…
长相英俊的男人和长相普通的男人一样
And the handsome young men must have something
都需要有钱过日子啊
to live on as well as the plain.
你在怂恿他为了钱和你在一起吗
You encourage him to take you for money?
-男人都这样 -但这并不光彩
– Men do. – That does not make it honourable.
没关系 我是一个明智的女人
Well, I’m a sensible woman.
谢天谢地 我并不是你所描述的那种人
I thank God I am not, by your description.
如果你够明智的话 你可能已经打听清楚了
If you were, you might have ascertained
你那位爱尔兰朋友没什么家产 一分都没有
that your Irish friend has no money, not a penny
所以他也不太可能和没有家产的人结婚
and could not be expected to marry without it.
今晚在舞会上好好考虑一下
Consider that at the ball tonight.
不管怎样 他明天就会回邦德街了
In any event, he’ll be gone tomorrow back to Bond Street
他再也不能祸害你了
where he can do no more harm.
晚上好 奥斯汀小姐
Good evening, Miss Austen.
是的 没错
Yes, yes.
你跳得太美了
You dance beautifully.
简·奥斯汀小姐
Miss Jane Austen.
幸会
Pleasure.
我们很荣幸可以来参加你姨妈的舞会
We’re very honoured to be here at your aunt’s ball.
你跳起舞来很有激♥情♥
You dance with passion.
倘若是为了吸引未来的丈夫
No sensible woman would demonstrate passion
理智的女人是不会展现出激♥情♥的
if the purpose were to attract a husband.
但要吸引情人就不同吗
As opposed to a lover?
无须担心 勒弗罗伊先生
Rest easy, Mr Lefroy.
我并不指望能找到丈夫或情人
I have no expectation on either account.
我不是有意冒犯或伤害…
I did not mean to offend or hurt…
不不 当然 不好意思 我需要透透气
Oh, no, no, of course not. Excuse me, I’m just overwarm.
失陪了
Pardon me.
-奥斯汀小姐 -失陪
– Ah, Miss Austen. – Excuse me.
这实在叫人难以忍♥受
This is unbearable.
我父亲敦促我希望我早日接受神职
My father is pressing for an early ordination,
但我自己更希望可以穿着军装
while my own inclination is to the scarlet
成为陛下正规军的将领
of a captaincy in His Majesty’s regulars.
但是 我没有足够的金钱去买♥♥那个官职
But I do not have the money to purchase one.
我有
I do.
怎么能让你为我那么做
Well, that, of course is impossible.
亨利 不要掩饰自己 至少不要对我掩饰
Oh, Henry, do not disguise yourself, not to me.
你穿上军装一定非常好看
The scarlet will suit you very well.
奥斯汀小姐
Miss Austen?
终于找到你了
There you are.
奥斯汀小姐 我真不敢相信
Miss Austen, I cannot believe
我不得不来找你谈谈
I am obliged to have this conversation.
什么事 夫人
Your Ladyship?
韦斯利先生的母亲 也就是我的妹妹英年早逝
Mr Wisley’s mother, my own dear sister, died young.
而我自己也没有孩子
I have no children of my own.
我希望你永远不会体会到这种痛苦
I hope you never come to understand the pain of that condition.
长话短说
Let us simply say
我最关心的就是我外甥的心愿
my nephew’s wishes are close to my heart,
不管是多么不同寻常的心愿
however extraordinary they may be.
其实
Well,
你看上去很健康
your health seems robust.
你的教养也不错
You have the usual accomplishments.
你本人也挺讨人喜欢的
Your person is agreeable.
但是像你这样的年轻女子
But when a young woman such as yourself
有幸被像我外甥这样的绅士求婚
receives the addresses from a gentleman such as my nephew,
就应该马上接受
it is her duty to accept at once.
但你是怎么回应的
But what do we find?
-我独♥立♥的想法 -没错
– Independent thought? – Exactly.
奥斯汀小姐 我外甥
My nephew, Miss Austen,
放下身份 纡尊降贵
condescends far indeed
向一个卑微又贫穷的牧师的女儿求婚
in offering to the daughter of an obscure and impecunious clergyman.
贫穷 夫人你一定是搞错了
Impecunious? Your Ladyship is mistaken.
我从来不会错
I am never mistaken.
你父亲正处于极其危险的财政危机中
Your father is in grave financial difficulties.
但并不是没有机会翻身
But all is not lost.
他还有个女儿 万贯家财她唾手可得
He has a daughter upon whom fortune has smiled.
对简来说 韦斯利先生可是个好人选
Mr Wisley is a good opportunity for Jane.
她应该立刻答应他
She should accept him at once.
你们不这么觉得吗
Do not you think?
-露西 我们去吃点东西 -怎么了 妈妈
– Lucy, let us take some refreshments. – What? Mother.
我听说韦斯利先生向你求婚了
I have learned of Mr Wisley’s marriage proposal.
恭喜你
My congratulations.
对于一个受过良好教育
Is there an alternative for
但没什么家产的年轻女子来说还有其他选择吗
a well-educated young woman of small fortune?
你怎么能接受他呢
How can you have him?
即使他有万贯家财 高门大宅
Even with his thousands and his houses,
你这样脱俗的人
how can you, of all people,
怎能将自己轻易托付给一个不爱的人
dispose of yourself without affection?
就算我爱上某个人了又能怎样
How can I dispose of myself with it?
你明天就要离开了
You are leaving tomorrow.
-我吻得还好吗 -非常非常好
– Did I do that well? – Very, very well.
我想做好 哪怕只有一次
I wanted, just once, to do it well.
我没有钱 也没有房♥产
I have no money, no property,
我完全仰仗我那位古怪的疯舅舅养活
I am entirely dependent upon that bizarre old lunatic, my uncle.
我还不能向你求婚 但你必须知道我的感受
I cannot yet offer marriage. But you must know what I feel.
简 我是你的
Jane, I’m yours.
天呐 我是你的 我的心和灵魂都是你的
Gah, I’m yours. I’m yours, heart and soul.
我说得简直太好了
Much good that is.
这该由我来评价
Let me decide that.
我们怎么办
What will we do?
做我们必须做的
What we must.
“我最亲爱的卡珊德拉 我心潮澎湃
“My dearest Cassandra, my heart has wings.
我不再疑惑 不再犹豫
Doubts and deliberations are ended.
不久之后我将要逃离
Soon I shall escape the attentions
那位老夫人和她圣人外甥的魔爪
of that great Lady and her scintillating nephew.
我 伊莱莎和亨利将去海边看望你
Eliza, Henry and I will join you at the coast,
不过我们中途可以在伦敦短暂停留
But we are obliged to break our journey in London.
汤姆已经巧妙地安排了我们留宿
Tom has cleverly secured an invitation
好让我们认识下他的法官舅舅
to stay with his uncle, the judge.
但愿我们可以让他认可我
Let us hope we can convince him of my eligibility.
一旦你从震惊中恢复过来
Please destroy this disgraceful letter
请一定要毁掉这封丢脸的信
the moment you have recovered from your astonishment.
你挚爱的 匆忙的简”
Yours affectionately, and in haste, Jane.”
汤姆 我们的客人已经到了
Tom! Our guests have arrived.
礼仪
Decorum.
伯爵夫人
Countess.
先生
Sir.
-欢迎… -伯爵夫人
– Welcome… – Madame le Comtesse.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!