for demanding it back with interest.
How about family, Bart?
你的家人呢?
How you fixed in that department?
都在老家吗?
My folks live in Brooklyn with my uncle.
我的家人和我叔叔 一起住在布鲁克林
Mine have passed on.
我的家人都去世了
It’s just us three now.
只剩下我们弟兄三个
What’s that expression?
那句话怎么说了?
Me, myself, and I.
举杯邀明月,对影成三人
Sure.
是啊
That’s tough.
挺惨的
But in a sense,
可从某种意义上说
we’re all alone in the world, aren’t we, Charlie?
我们其实是同病相怜,对吧?
I’m often surrounded by family and friends,
我虽然亲戚朋友一大堆
but…
可是…
[Deep Sigh]
You’re no stranger to loneliness, then.
看来你惯了孤独寂寞
I guess I got no beef,
只要一有女人垂青 我就不发牢骚了
especially where the dames are concerned.
In my line of work, I got opportunities galore.
在工作中我可是大把泡妞机会
I could tell you stories to curl your hair,
要提起以前的艳史 保证听得你性致盎然
but it looks like you’ve already heard them.
这种事好象你也有所耳闻
That’s me in Kansas City plying my trade.
我那时正在堪萨斯拼命工作
That was taken by one of my policyholders.
这是我的一位客户拍的
They’re more than just customers to me, Barton.
我和他们不止是客户关系,巴顿
They appreciate what I have to offer.
他们很感激我提供的服务
Her hubby was out of town,
男主人出门去了
and they were carrying fire and life.
他们保了火险和寿险
The third quarter payment was way past due.
保险已经付了四分之三了
In a way, I envyyou-your
某种程度上,我挺羡慕你的一
daily routine, you know what’s expected.
你的工作很有条理,你的目标明确
You know the drill.
你知道如何训练自己
My job is to plumb the depths,
而我的工作就好象摸黑走路
so to speak.
Dredge up something from inside,
总是要得去发掘 一些深处的东西
something honest.
内心的东西
I got to tell you,
我说的是我的内心感觉…
the life of the mind…
There’s no road map for that territory.
这个行业没有现成的方法
And exploring it can be painful.
摸索的过程令人痛苦
I have pain most people don’t know anything about.
我的痛苦大多数人根本无法明白
This must be boring you.
可能你听的不耐烦了
Not at all. It’s damned interesting.
没关系,挺有趣的
Yeah.
不错
Probably sounds a little grand
给沃利·毕利写一部摔跤戏 听起来好象挺威的
for someone who’s writing a wrestling picture
for Wallace Beery.
Beery? You got no beef there.
毕利?那你还烦个什么?
He’s a hell ofan actor,
他可是个很棒的演员
though you can’t beatjackOakie.
不过还比不过杰克·奥奇
A stitch, Oakie.
要比奥奇差一点
Funny stuff, funny stuff.
有趣的题材
But don’t get me wrong.
不过没搞错吧?
Beery? Wrestling picture? Could be a pip.
毕利?摔跤片?可能不是很妥
Could be a pip.
可能不是很妥
Wrestled myself some back in school.
说起摔跤让我想起 在学校的往事
I guess you know the basic moves.
摔跤的基本动作你应该懂吧
No.1 never watched any.
不懂,我从没看过
I’m not interested in the act.
我对运动不感兴趣
Hell, you should know what it’s about.
你该知道个大致情况
I can show you the wrestling basics in 30 seconds.
我用30秒时间给你 演示摔跤基本动作
You’re a little out ofyourweight class,
你可能体重轻了点
but just for demonstration purposes…
不过为了示范…
That’s all right.
那就算了吧
Nota bit of it, compadre.
伙计,一点也不难
Easiest thing in the world.
轻而易举的
Just get on your knees to my left here.
膝盖跪在我的左侧
Slapyour right hand here, your left hand here.
右掌在这,左掌在这
Come on, champ. You can do it. Come on.
来吧,快点,没问题的
Come on.
来吧
Come on.
来吧
Come on.
来吧
Yeah. There you go.
就这样
Right there.
这里
All right.
好了
Now, when I say, “Ready, wrestle,”
我一说’开始了,摔吧’
we try to pin each other.
我争取按住你,你争取按住我
That’s the whole game. Got it?
整个游戏就是这样,明白吗?
Yeah. Okay.
明白了
Ready? Wrestle.
开始了,摔吧
Oh!
1 , 2 , 3
1, 2,3.
Damn. There I go again.
不能再来了
Going to wakeup the downstairs neighbors.
会吵到楼下的
I didn’t hurt you, did I?
没伤着你吧?
It’s okay.
没事
Well, that’s all wrestling is.
摔跤就是这么回事
Usually there’s more grunting and squirming
通常摔之前还有些 拉拉拽拽的动作
before the pin.
Well, you’re out ofyour weight class.
我们俩是不同重量级的
Jesus, I did hurt you.
天啊,我真伤着你了
I sure do apologize.
真的好过意不去
I’m just a big, clumsy lug.
我真是个傻大个
I sure do apologize.
真的很过意不去
You sure you’re okay?
你真的没事吗?
I’m fine, really.
真的没事
Actually, it’s been helpful.
应该有点用
But I guess I should get to work.
我得工作去了
It wasn’t fair of me to do that.
对你来说不是很公平
I’m prettywell-endowed physically.
我比你个头大多了
Don’t feel bad, though.
别觉得不舒服
I wouldn’t be much ofa match foryou
比脑瓜子我比万万及不上你
at mental gymnastics.
Give me a holler you need anything.
有事叫我就是了
[Waves Wash Ashore]
[Humming Old BlackJoeJ
尼布甲尼撒二世 作者:H . P.梅修
Ifi close myeyes,
闭上眼睛我能闻到橡树的味道
I can almost smell the live oak.
That’s chicken fat, Bill.
那是鸡肉的味道,比尔
Well, my olfactory’s turning womanish on me-lying
我的嗅觉开始变得女人化一
and deceitful.
惯于说谎和欺骗
Still, I must say I haven’t felt peace like this
这些日子一直工作繁重 我从未感到如此的平静
since the grand productive days.
Don’t you find it so, Barton?
你没觉得吗,巴顿?
Ain’t writing peace?
这种宁静很适于写作
Well…
actually…
说真的
no, Bill.
不是,比尔
No. I’ve always found
我一直认为作品应该 来源于内心巨大的创痛中
that writing comes from a great inner pain.
Maybe it’s a pain that comes from a realization
这种创痛可能来自于现实中
that one must do something for one’s fellow man
作者为了减轻某人的痛苦为引致
to help somehow ease the suffering.
Maybe it’s personal pain.
也许这个创痛是很私人化的
At any rate, I don’t believe
无论如何,我不相信 优秀作品可以没有痛苦
good work is possible without it.
Hmm.
Well, me, I just enjoy making things up.
我更喜欢杜撰
Yes, sir. Escape.
是的,没有自己的影子
It’s when I can’t write and escape myself,
所以我写不出东西 或是无法逃避自我
that I want to rip my head off
我恨不得撕开自己的脑袋
and run screaming through the street
到大街上大喊大叫
with my balls in a fruit picker’s pail.
在水果桶里跳舞
Hmm.
这东西有时候也有帮助
This will sometimes help.
That doesn’t help anything, Bill.
那东西毫无用处,比尔
I’ve never found that to help my writing.
我从来没发现酒 对我的创作有何帮助
Your writing?
你的创作?
Son, have you ever heard the story of Solomon’s mammy?
孩子 你读过’所罗门的妈妈’这本书吗?
Barton, you should read this.
巴顿,那东西你应该读读
I think it’s Bill’s finest,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!