Kissing it all good-bye. These four stinkin’ walls,
向它们吻别,这四堵即将倒塌的墙
six flights up,
六只飞起来了
six flights up,
六只飞起来了
theel that roars byat3 am.
晨鸟总是在凌晨3点暄哗
like a cast-iron wind.
象顽固的风一样
Kiss ‘em good-bye for me, Maury.
为我向它们吻别,马瑞
I’ll miss ‘em-like hell I will.
我会想念它们的 就象我总有一天会死去
Dreamin’ again.
继续睡吧
Not anymore, Lii. I’m awake now,
不睡了,莉尔,我已经醒了
awake for the first time in years.
这些年来第一次清醒
Uncle Dave said it-“Daylight
戴夫叔叔说了
is a dream
’如果你闭着眼睛,黎明也是一场梦’
ifyou live with your eyes closed.”
Well, my eyes are open now. I see the choir.
我的眼睛睁开,看见了合唱队
I know they’re dressed in rags,
我知道他们破衣烂衫
but we’re part of that choir.
可我们都是合唱队的一员
Yeah, both of us,
是的,我们俩
and you, Maury, and Uncle Dave.
你,马瑞,以及戴夫叔叔
Sun’s comm up, kid.
太阳出来了,伙计们
They’ll be hawkin’ the fish
他们要沿着富尔顿街去卖♥♥鱼去了
down on Fulton Street.
Let ‘em hawk.
让他们叫吧
Let ‘em sing their hearts out.
让他们唱出心声吧
That’s it, kid.
正是这样,孩子
Take that ruined choir. Make it sing.
对破落合唱队负责,让它歌♥唱
So long, Maury.
太久了,马瑞
So long.
太久了
We’ll hear from that kid,
我们会接到那个孩子的信
and I don’t mean a postcard.
不是用明信片
Fish!
鱼
Fresh fish!
新鲜的鱼
Let’s spit on our hands and get to work.
向手心吐口睡沫,开始工作
It’s late, Maury.
迟了,马瑞
Not anymore, Lil.
一点不迟,莉尔
It’s early.
还早
[Applause]
-Bravo! -Bravo!
太好了一太好了
Bravo!
太好了
Bravo!
太好了
Bravo!
太好了
-Bravo! -Bravo!
太好了一太好了
-Author! -Author!
作者一作者
-Author! -Author!
作者 作者
-Author! -Author!
作者 作者
-Author! -Author!
作者 作者
-Bravo! -Bravo!
太好了一太好了
[Dog Yaps]
Your table is ready, Monsieur Fink.
您的桌子已经准备好了,芬克先生
In fact, several members of your party have already arrived.
您的几位朋友已经到了
Is Garland Stanford here?
加兰·斯坦福来了吗?
He called to say he’d be a few minutes late.
他打电♥话♥过来说要迟到一会
Ah, here we are.
来了
Barton! Barton, so glad you could make it.
巴顿,写出这样的作品 真令人兴奋
You know Richard St. Claire
理查德·圣·克莱尔和 波比·卡纳汉你都认识的
and Poppy Carnahan.
Charmed, charmed, charmed.
真棒,真棒,真棒
We’re drinking champagne in honor of the occasion.
我们喝香槟以表庆祝
Have you seen the Herald?
你看了 《先驱报》 没有?
Not yet.
没有
I won’t embarrass you,
我不想让你不安
but Caven could hardly contain himself.
可是卡文几乎已经失控
More important,
更重要的是…
Richard and Poppy here loved the play.
理查德和波比也都很喜欢这出戏
Weeping.
催人泪下
Copious tears.
泪如泉涌
What did the Herald say?
《先驱报》 怎么说的?
I happen to have it.
我正好带来了
Please, Derek…
念来听听,德拉克
‘Bare Ruined Choirs:
”空破合唱队:
Triumph of the Common Man.
普罗大众的胜利
The star of Bare Ruined Choirs
空破合唱队的明星 昨天在舞台献艺
was nowhere seen on the stage last night,
though the thespians acquitted themselves admirably.
表演非常出色
The find of the evening
昨晚的大发现是这出戏的作者
was the author of this drama about simple folk,
这出戏的描写普通人一鱼贩子的
fishmongers, in fact,
whose brute struggle for existence
描写他们尽管为了生存而艰苦奋斗
cannot quite quell their longing for something higher.
却从不放弃更高的追求
The playwright finds nobility
剧作者呈现了最肮脏 的角落里的高贵
in the most squalid corners
and poetry in the most callous speech.
最冷酷的言词里的诗意
A tough new voice in the American theater has arrived,
戏剧舞台上新的声音已经出现
and the owner of that voice is named…
这个声音的主人名叫…
Barton Fink.”
巴顿·芬克’
They’ll be wrapping fish in it in the morning.
这报纸早上就会被人用来包鱼
Cynic.
尖刻
I can’t start listening to the critics,
我还没有留意评论
and I can’t kid myself about my own work.
可是我自己的东西我最清楚
A writer writes from his gut.
一个作家应该写出他的心声
His gut tells him what’s good and what’s…
他的内心告诉他 什么是好,什么只能算…
merely adequate.
…过得去
I don’t pretend to be a critic,
我不想自命为评论家
but Lord knows I have a gut,
不过上帝知道我也有一颗心
and my gut tells me it’s simply…
我的心告诉我这出戏真精彩
marvelous.
And a charming gut it is.
也是一颗迷人的心
Oh, you dog.
小狗
Aroo!
Oh, stop.
别又来了
[Belijingles]
I thoughtyou were going tojoin us.
你应该和大家在一起
Jesus, Garland, you left me alone with those people?
天啊,你不能把我 一个人扔在那里
Don’t panic.
别慌
I’ll join you in a minute.
我一会儿会过去的
We have to talk a little business.
我有点小生意要谈
l’vejust been on the phone to Los Angeles.
我刚和洛杉矶通了电♥话♥
Barton, Capitol Pictures wants to put you under contract.
巴顿,神殿影业想签下你
They’ve offered you$1000 a week.
他们开出周薪1000美元
I think I can get them to go as high as 2.
我应该能让这个数再翻倍
To do what?
让我做什么?
What do you do for a living?
你打算如何谋生?
I’m not sure anymore.
我还没完全确定
I guess I try to make a difference.
我倒是想有所改变
There’s no pressure here because I respect you,
因为我尊重你,所以不会给你压力
but a brief tenure in Hollywood
可是拥有一份好莱坞的合同 可以让你写出无数作品
could support you through the writing
of any number of plays.
I don’t know, Garland.
我没想明白,加兰
My place is here right now.
我的事业在这里
I feel I’m on the brink of success.
我已经快要成功了
I’d sayyou’re already enjoying some.
已经有人很欣赏你了
No. Don’t you see?
没有,你不明白吗?
Not the kind of success where critics fawn overyou
那些拍马屁的评论家和…
or producers like Derek make a lot of money.
象德拉克这种赚了大钱 的制♥作♥人都不算数的
No. A real success.
不,我需要真正的成功
The success we’ve been dreaming about–
我们梦想中的那种成功一
the creation of a new living theater
一种全新的生活剧
of and about and for the common man.
来源于普通大众,服务于普通大众
Ifi ran off to Hollywood now,
如果我现在投奔好莱坞
I’d be making money,
也许能赚点钱
going to parties, meeting the big shots,
参加派对,认识点大人物
but I’d be cutting myself off
可是我会失去成功的源泉
from the wellspring of that success,
from the common man.
我的灵感来自于普罗大众
Oh, I guess I’m spouting off again.
我又在浪费口舌了
You see Caven’s review?
卡文的评论你看了吗?
No. What did it say?
没有,说了些什么?