看看你的小脸 -西尔维娅?
Oh. Look at your little face. – Sylvia?
我妈也来了
Yeah. My mom is here.
这是怎么回事
Uh, yes, she is. What’s happening?
玛格丽特说她想见我
Well, Margaret said she needed to see me,
所以我们从佛罗里达飞了过来
so we flew out from Florida.
你父母还在这吗
Are your parents here yet?
这位是莫里斯·巴纳曼
Oh. This is Morris Binamin.
和大炸♥弹♥押韵
Rhymes with cinnamon.
你好 -奶奶
Hi. – Grandma!
我的玛格丽特
There’s my Margaret! Oh!
你知道他们会来吗 -完全不知道
Did you know? – I had no… I know.
我可太想你了
I missed you so much!
我以为你在佛罗里达
I thought you were in Florida.
我来找你了
I know. Well, Florida came to you.
嗯…
Uh…
爸妈 这是赫布的母亲 西尔维娅
Mom, Dad, this is Sylvia. Herb’s mom.
西尔维娅 这两位是我的父母 保罗和玛丽
Sylvia, this… These are my parents, Paul and Mary.
你好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
我们吃炖肉吧
We have pot roast.
好啊
Sure.
嗯
Mmm.
嗯
Mmm. Oh, yeah.
这顿饭特别好吃 芭芭拉 -确实很好吃
Dinner is delicious, Barbara. – Oh, my God, yes.
是嘛 -你进步很大
Oh. – You have definitely improved.
是很不错 -谢谢
It is very nice. – Thank you.
虽然有些惊讶
Well, I have to admit it was a bit of a jolt, um,
但我很高兴大家都在这里
but it’s nice to have everyone here together.
整个大家庭
The whole family.
还有巴纳曼先生
And Mr. Binamin.
很高兴你能来
Nice to have you, too.
犹太希伯来语
干杯 -干杯
L’chaim. – L’chaim.
干杯
L’chaim. L’chaim.
干杯
L’chaim. L’chaim. L’chaim. L’chaim. L’chaim.
为了生命干杯!
To life!
你们看《危险边缘》吗?[游戏节目]
So, um, do you watch Jeopardy!?
你妈妈还小的时候
I used to braid your mama’s hair
是我给她编辫子
when she was a little girl.
你妈妈也给你编辫子吗
Did your mom ever braid your hair?
是啊 她以前总这么做
Um, yeah, she used to do it all the time.
看得出来她教会了你如何用手链编辫子
I can see she taught you how to braid with your bracelet.
是啊
Yeah.
我们有太多
Oh, there’s just so much
想了解你的事了 玛格丽特
we want to get to know about you, Margaret.
十二年实在是太久了
Twelve years is a lot to catch up on.
是啊 很长一段时间
Yeah. A long time.
我们想知道
So, uh, we were wondering…
主日学校:基♥督♥教学校
你上主日学校吗
Do you go to Sunday school?
或者你想过这个问题吗
Or, uh, have you ever thought about it?
嗯… -没有 一次都没去过
Uh… – Nope. Never. Not once.
我们问的是玛格丽特 西尔维娅
We asked Margaret the question, Sylvia.
玛格丽特?
Margaret?
你们这是浪费时间
Well, you’re wasting your time
因为玛格丽特去了犹太教堂 她现在信奉犹太教
because Margaret went to Temple and she’s Jewish.
你说什么
What did you say?
什么
Excuse me.
玛格丽特去了犹太教堂
Margaret went to Temple.
妈 别说了 -你在说什么
Okay, Mom, you’re done. – What are you talking about?
你们前脚刚离开房♥间
Okay, that’s it. Well, you left the room
他们就开始劝她信奉基♥督♥
and they’re trying to convert her.
如果她愿意的话
Well, Margaret has the right to be baptized
玛格丽特有权接受洗礼
if she wants to be.
洗礼? -如果她愿意的话
Baptized? – If she wants to be.
我真不敢相信
I can’t believe this.
我真不敢相信你们这样子
I can’t believe you’re doing this.
好了 这个话题就此打住
All right. Everyone, this discussion is over.
她的父母是我们 都打住
We’re her parents and this discussion is over.
确实该打住 毕竟她已经选择了犹太教
Yeah, you’re right, it’s over, because she’s already Jewish.
西尔维娅! -在我们看来
Sylvia! – Well, in our eyes,
她是基♥督♥徒 -不是 玛格丽特哪一边都不是
she’s Christian. – No, no! Margaret is nothing!
不是犹太教♥徒♥也不是基♥督♥徒
Margaret is not Jewish or Christian.
她没有宗教信仰 -她决定了可就有了
She is no religion. – Until she decides.
她妈妈是个基♥督♥徒
Well, how can she be Jewish
自己怎么能是犹太教♥徒♥呢 -打住
if her mother is Christian? – Stop.
你们从来没在她身旁 你们抛弃了她
You were never there for her. You abandoned her.
跟那有什么关系
What does it matter?
你以为我们愿意这样吗
Do you think that we wanted this?
停!
Stop it!
全都给我停下来!
All of you, just stop it.
我一点都不在乎
I don’t care. I don’t care anymore.
宗教什么的 都太愚蠢了
It’s all just so stupid, religion!
别吵了!
Just stop fighting!
我不想信仰什么宗教
I… I don’t want a religion.
我不在乎 我不在乎 -玛格丽特
I don’t care. I don’t care! – Margaret…
我压根就不相信上帝
I don’t even believe in God!
现在你们满意了?
Are you happy? Hmm?
对不起 都是我的错 -不是 这不是…
I’m so sorry. I did this. – No, no, no. This is not…
对不起 -这不是你的错
I am so sorry. – No, this is not your fault.
这不是你的错 知道吗
This is not your fault. Okay, this is not your fault.
是他们一直在逼她 不是你的错…
No, that was everybody else. That was not…
都是我的错 -不是的
Me. – No, no, no.
亲爱的本尼迪克特老师
“Dear Mr. Benedict,
根据我的了解 宗教只会给人们带来冲突
“what I learned about religion is that it makes people fight.
每个宗教都在说同样的话
“That every religion says the same thing.
如果你向上帝祈祷 他就会赐福与你
“If you pray to God, he’ll listen to you,
帮助你让事情好起来
“and help you, and make things better.
但我一直在祈祷
“But I’ve prayed and prayed
却只有让一切变得更糟
“and everything just gets worse.”
我们再联♥系♥
Okay. We’ll call you.
我想不清楚 但我觉得…
“I don’t know anymore, but I think…
也许真♥相♥是…
“that maybe the truth is…
这世上根本没有上帝
“there’s nobody up there.
根本没有人听你祈祷
“There’s nobody listening.
只有孤单单的一个
“There’s only just…
我
“me.
真诚的 玛格丽特·西蒙
“Sincerely, Margaret Simon.”
玛格丽特
Margaret.
嗨 -嗨
Hey. – Hey.
过来
Wait. Come here.
我不想说话
I don’t really feel like talking.
我也不想
Yeah. I don’t either.
但我想为之前的事情道歉
But, um, I do want to say sorry for how things went.
我知道这一年很不容易
And I know that this past year has not been easy.
想坐会儿吗
Want to just sit for a minute?
好主意
Mmm, yeah. Good idea.
一直这么努力是很累的 不是吗
It gets tiring trying so hard all the time, doesn’t it?
是啊
Yeah.
一二三 茄子 -茄子
One, two, three. Cheese! – Cheese!
要上初中啦 呜呼
Junior High! Whoo!
都过来 玛格丽特快过来
Come on, everybody. Margaret, come on!
嗨
Hey.
谢谢你 本尼迪克特老师
Thanks, Mr. Benedict.
你真是个好老师
You’re a really good teacher.
我不知道自己还够不够格
Well, I wouldn’t say all that. You know,
还在努力解决一些问题
still trying to iron out some of the kinks.
你真的是个好老师
No, you were really good.
我很高兴你这么想
I’m glad you felt that way.
嗨
Hey.
想来跳舞吗
Do you want to come dance?