-我想他死了。——死了吗?他不可能死了。
– I think he’s dead. – Dead? He can’t be dead.
你在骗我们,是吧,巴巴克?你又开了一个玩笑!
You’re fooling us, aren’t you, Bacbac? Another one of your jokes!
他一定是窒息而死。
He must have suffocated.
可能是一根骨头,一根鱼刺卡在他喉咙里了。
Probably a bone, a fish bone got stuck in his throat.
哦. .可怜的Bacbac。我们必须告诉当局。
Oh.. poor Bacbac. We must tell the authorities.
他们会责怪我们。
They’ll blame us.
-那是个意外!-他们还是会怪我们
– It was an accident! – They’ll still blame us,
他是苏丹的宠臣……
he was the Sultan’s favorite…
“他们走了,就是那些杀死可怜的小巴巴克的人。”
“There they go, the people whom killed poor little Bacbac.”
-我们会失去所有的客户!——声誉粉碎……
– We’ll lose all our customers! – Reputation shattered…
信用受损,收入损失。我们该怎么办?
credit destroyed, income lost. What’re we going to do?
我们可以带他去看隔壁的老医生。
We could take him to that old physician next door.
现在找医生太晚了,他需要一个殡仪员。
It’s too late for a physician, he needs an undertaker.
我的意思是把他留在那里……
I mean leave him there…
让别人承担责任吧……
Let someone else take the blame…
听起来不错!
that sounds good!
冷静!来吧!
Calm! Come on!
他是重!
He is heavy!
-我们把他留在这里。——好。
– We’ll leave him here. – Good.
来吧。我们走吧。
Come on. Let’s go.
那是谁?
Who’s that?
-需要帮忙吗?-我们来找以斯拉医生…
– Can I help you? – We came to see Dr. Ezra…
为了我们的朋友,如果还不算太晚的话。
for our friend, if it’s not too late.
和以斯拉博士在一起永远都不晚。
It’s never too late with Dr. Ezra.
-你想打赌吗?-我去叫他。
– You wanna bet? – I’ll get him.
你的朋友看起来不太好。
Your friend doesn’t look too good.
——走吧。-快点,快点。
– Let’s go. – Come on, hurry.
以斯拉,我们有客人了
Ezra, we have a customer.
-又一个身无分文的流浪汉?——没有……他的报酬。
– Another penniless vagrant? – No… he’s paid.
他在外面楼梯平台上。
He’s outside on the landing.
亲爱的,在他跑掉之前,让我看看他!
Show him to me, my dear, before he gets away!
-他在楼梯上等着- – – – – -小心!
– He’s waiting on the stairs. – Be careful!
我看不到他在哪里….啊!
I can’t see where he…. ahh!
以斯拉记……以斯拉,以斯拉,说话!
Ezra… Ezra, Ezra, speak to me!
你一定要戴上眼镜吗以斯拉
You must wear your glasses, Ezra?
你感觉怎么样?
How do you feel?
-我不知道。-你不知道,你是医生!
– I don’t know. – You don’t know, you’re a physician!
我是一名医生…
So I’m a physician…
你还想告诉我什么?
so what else you want you should tell me?
先生……你朋友说你不太舒服。
Sir… your friends said you don’t feel very well.
我相信我丈夫能帮你。
I’m sure my husband can help you.
-不,他不能。-当然可以。
– No, he can’t. – Of course you can.
不,我不这么认为。他死了。
No, I don’t think so. He’s dead.
-从楼梯上摔下来!-一场可怕的事故!
– The fall down the stairs! – A terrible accident!
情况比这更糟。
It’s worse than that.
他来这里接受治疗结果却死了
He comes here for medical treatment and he ends up dead!
这会对你的声誉有什么影响,以斯拉?
What will this do to your reputation, Ezra?
他看起来很熟悉。
He looks familiar.
哦……苏丹的小丑!
Oh… The Sultan’s Jester!
-唉,可怜的巴巴克。-我很了解他。——我们是命中注定的!
– Alas, poor Bacbac.- I knew him well. – We’re doomed!
我们会指责……我们外国人!
We’ll be blamed… we’re foreigners!
帮我把他抬上楼……快点!
Help me carry him upstairs… hurry!
人们临场发挥的速度之快令人惊讶……
It’s amazing how quickly people can improvise when they have to…
以斯拉一家不得不赌一把
the Ezra’s had to take a gamble,
忘记赌博只是一种一无所得的方式……的东西。
forgetting that gambling is only a way of getting nothing… for something.
没有什么比一个人在陌生的城市更糟糕的了。
There’s nothing worse than being alone in a strange city.
把他的胳膊抬起来,这样他就更容易滑下去。
Lift his arms up, so he’ll slide down easier.
他好像不喜欢我们做的事。
It’s as if he doesn’t like what we’re doing.
胡说!他会看到有趣的一面。
Nonsense! He’d see the funny side of it.
哦,佛陀,给我一个指示…说我没有被遗弃在异乡。
Oh, Buddha, send me a sign… say I’m not forsaken in a foreign land.
强盗!小偷!
Robbers! Thieves!
哈!
Ha!
我的手是致命的!
My hands are lethal!
死了。
Dead.
我跟你说过我的手!
I told you about my hands!
我知道你……
I know you…
著名的Bacbac……苏丹的小丑……
the famous Bacbac… the Sultan’s Jester…
你为什么从我的烟囱下来?
Why you come down my chimney?
这是个让全镇人都笑的笑话,
It’s a joke to set the whole town laughing,
笑的是你,杰斯特·巴巴克……
well, the laugh’s on you, Jester Bacbac…
不,笑在我身上…
No, the laugh’s on me…
他们会说我杀了你。我将被绞死。
they’ll say I murdered you. I’ll be hanged.
想想看,嗨清,想想看。
Think of something, Hi-Ching, think of something.
的帮助!谋杀!我被攻击了!
Help! Murder! I’m being attacked!
我不会给你钱的!
You’ll get no money from me!
你不会从我这里得到一分钱……
You’ll get not a penny from me…
卫兵,卫兵,抓住这个人……
Guards, guards, seize this man…
他刚才想杀了我!
he just tried to kill me!
-相反,你杀了他——我……我做了……灿烂的!
– Instead, you killed him. – I… I did… splendid!
你喝醉了。
You’re drunk.
-这是Bacbac…——喝醉了?
– This is Bacbac… – Drunk?
苏丹的小丑。
The Sultan’s Jester.
——Bacbac ?-你杀了他
– Bacbac? – And you killed him.
我为什么要杀他,我们都还没介绍过?
Why should I kill him, we haven’t even been introduced?
这要由法官来裁决。
That is for a judge to decide.
等他来了,我们就吊死你!
And when he has, we’ll hang you!
杰罗姆·格里宾的审判是当季的社会大事。
The trial of Jerome Gribbin was the social event of the season.
审理此案的法官是德高望重的扎迪奇法官。
The judge in the case was the venerable Judge Zadic.
扎迪奇法官完全不称职
Judge Zadic was totally incompetent,
但作为一名法官,没人注意到。
but being a judge, nobody had noticed.
我建议是死,绞刑
which I suggest is death, death by hanging.
你为什么要杀他?
Why did you kill him?
我以为他想抢劫我。
I thought he was trying to rob me.
Bacbac抢劫吗?
Bacbac rob you?
40年的司法工作……
Forty years administering justice…
我听过的最烂的借口!
worst excuse I ever heard!
-我犯了个错误。-你确实…
– I made a mistake. – You certainly did…
整个君士坦丁堡都会想念可怜的巴巴克……
all Constantinople will miss poor Bacbac…
我们再也见不到像他这样的人了。一个爱开玩笑的家伙……
we will never see the like of him again. A fellow of infinite jest…
“无限的玩笑”,这是个好笑话,
“infinite jest,” that’s a good one,
在我忘记之前,把它记下来。
write that down, clerk, before I forget it.
Bacbac点亮了我们的生活……
Bacbac lightened our lives…
他给了我们笑声,丰富而洋溢……
he gave us laughter, rich and overflowing…
发自内心的笑声。他的心和他的小一样大。
laughter from the heart. A heart as big as he was small.
我们认识他,我们爱他,我们和他一起欢笑,
We knew him, we loved him, we laughed with him,
我们将永远记住他。
we’ll remember him all our days.
我判你绞刑。
I sentence you to hang.
刺客!
Assassin!
不…不,不,不。
No…. No, no, no, no.
-不,不,求你了!不。-这个中国人是谁?
– No, no, please! No. – Who is this Chinese person?
我杀了那个可怜的驼背。我把他塞进了壁龛。
I killed the poor hunchback. I stuffed him in the alcove.
不!不!
No! No!
我杀了可怜的巴巴克,把他扔进了海清的烟囱。
I killed poor Bacbac, and dropped him down Hi-Ching’s chimney.
不!我杀了可怜的巴巴克。
No! I killed poor Bacbac.
-我不明白…-我杀了他…
– I don’t understand… – I killed him…
我的手是致命的!-我在黑暗中被他绊倒了!
my hands are lethal! – I tripped over him in the dark!
他很短视。你不能因为这个绞死一个人!
He’s very short-sighted. You can’t hang a man for that!
那是一根鱼刺!
It was a fishbone!
我仍然是君士坦丁堡最好的裁缝!
I’m still the best tailor in Constantinople!
-我的头要裂开了…-法庭肃静!订单!订单!
– My head’s splitting… – Order in the Court! Order! Order!
我要一份羊肉串!
I’ll have a lamb shish-kebab!
陛下。
Your Majesty.
谁杀了我的搞笑人杰斯特·巴巴克?
Who killed my funny man Jester Bacbac?
我做了!
I did!
我该绞死谁,Sayyidi?
Who do I hang, Sayyidi?
没有人。
Nobody.
这是个意外!
It was an accident!
除了是我的小丑,巴巴克少爷还是我的朋友,
Besides being my Jester, Master Bacbac was my friend,
如果我了解他,他会感激的
and if I knew him right he would’ve appreciated,
他的死法是他最后的玩笑
the manner of his death, it was his final jest,