我相信,你们都在为今年年底谁将高举胜利旗帜而心怀鬼胎
I am sure you’re all gloating over who will fly the victory banner at the end of this year.
好吧,你还没有胜过我呢! -哇!回来,小姐
Well, you have not got the better of me, yet! -Whoa! Come back here, miss.
你对普林格尔人怎么看你感到不安? -如果你不介意,我不想讨论这件事
You’re upset by what the Pringles think of you? -I don’t care to discuss it, if you don’t mind.
对不起
I’m sorry.
你担心普林格尔的谣言会影响我对你的结论
You’re afraid the Pringle rumors might enforce my conclusions about you.
你的结论?别自我陶醉了!
Your conclusions? Don’t flatter yourself!
你可能有兴趣听听我为你辩护时所说的话
You might be interested in listening to what I actually had to say in your defense.
你应该看看周围,看看除了你自己,还有谁喜欢听
You ought to look around and see if there’s anyone you like to listen to better than yourself.
我自作主张看了,这是给你的
I took it upon myself to see that this was delivered to you.
我相信你太忙了,甚至没时间把地址变更通知你的女儿
I’m sure you’re far too busy to forward a change of address to your daughter.
如果你不是那么自私,先生,你会意识到有个小女孩在绝望的爱着你
If you weren’t so self-absorbed, sir, you’d realize there’s a little girl who desperately loves you.
你可以走了
You can go.
摩根!哦,雪莉小姐,等等!摩根!
Morgan! Oh, Miss Shirley, wait! Morgan!
我马上回来。雪莉小姐!
I’ll be right back. Miss Shirley!
哦,雪莉小姐,谢天谢地,你没让妈妈看到我从那家伙的马车里出来
Oh, Miss Shirley, thank goodness you didn’t let mama see me getting out of that fellow’s carriage.
波琳,你绝对在发抖。 -哦,那是天堂般的感觉
Pauline, you’re positively trembling. -Oh, it was heavenly.
我只是想告诉你一切,艾萨克·肯特驾车送我回家
I simply have to tell you everything. Isaac Kent drove me home.
他曾经是我的老情人,好吧,不,不是老情人
He used to be an old beau of mine. Well, no, hardly an old beau;
他从来没有表白,但我们过去经常一起驾车兜风
he never had any real intentions. But we did used to go driving around together.
他,呃,恭维我了
He, um, paid me a compliment.
他说:“你的头发看起来像糖浆太妃糖,和过去一样”
He said, “Your hair looks as much like molasses taffy as it ever did.”
他那样说没什么不妥吧? -没什么不妥的
I hope there wasn’t anything improper in his saying that? -Nothing whatsoever.
他还约我去兜风,天知道妈妈会怎么说,但是…
He asked me to go driving again. Heaven knows what mama’s going to say, but…
我根本不在乎!
I dont even care!
露易莎和我围着老房♥子里散步
Louisa and I walked all around the old house
回忆我们还是小女孩时一起度过的所有夏天
and remembered all the summers we spent together as little girls.
我们看到了多年前种下的丁香花丛
We saw the lilac bushes we planted years ago.
我不知道说什么,我只是从来没有过这么美好的一天
I don’t know. I just never had such a wonderful day.
波琳,我太高兴了。 -我怎样才能报答你啊?
Pauline, I’m so pleased. -How can I ever repay you?
我只是希望你在这里不要过得那么艰难
I just wish you didn’t have such a difficult time here.
哦,我甚至不介意回家了,不知怎么的
Oh, I don’t even mind coming home, somehow.
摩根在这里出差几个星期
Morgan’s here for a few weeks on business.
希望一切能像从前一样
I hope it will be just like old times.
毕竟,妈妈需要我
After all, mama needs me,
被需要的感觉很好,不是吗?
and it’s nice being needed, isn’t it?
哦,谢谢你,雪莉小姐。 -不,你留着裙子
Oh, thank you, Miss Shirley. -No, you keep the dress.
天知道呢,你也许还要穿它
Heaven knows, you might get to wear it again.
上帝保佑你
God bless you.
哦,你做的比你所知道的还要多
Oh, you’ve done more than you’ll ever know.
金斯波特女子学院,我是布鲁克小姐…
Kingsport Ladies’ College, Miss Brooke speaking…
下午好,普林格尔太太
Why, Good Afternoon, Mrs. Pringle.
喉咙痛? 扁桃体炎? 天哪,但愿不很严重
Sore throat? Tonsillitis? Good heavens, I hope it isn’t serious.
不会传染,是吧?
It’s not contagious, is it?
哦,我明白了
Oh, I see.
不! 不,但是… 不,我们完全理解
No! No, but… No, we understand completely.
任何人都不能违背医嘱
One must not interfere with the doctor’s orders.
我同意你的意见,普林格尔夫人
I agree with you, Mrs. Pringle.
感激你对我们的充分重视
I appreciate your giving us sufficient notice.
谢谢,再见
Thank you. Goodbye.
珍·普林格尔今晚不演出了
Jen Pringle will not be performing this evening.
你说的是真的吗?经过这么多努力,还是徒劳无功啊
You can’t be serious. Not after all this effort.
我们只好把票退了,推迟演出
We shall simply have to return the tickets and put it off.
推迟到什么时候? 我们付不起重新预订礼堂的费用,还有乐队呢?
Until when? We can’t afford to rebook the hall. And what about the band?
我还得照旧付钱给他们
I still have to pay for them.
好吧,穆丽尔·史黛西,我告诉过你每年这个时候演出是愚蠢的,不要怪我
Well, Muriel Stacey, I told you it was foolish to get up a play at this time of year. Don’t blame me.
珍·普林格尔患扁桃体炎的危险并不比我大
Jen Pringle is in no more danger of tonsillitis than I am.
这是蓄意破坏这场演出的手段而已,想把我赶走
This is a deliberate device to ruin the play and get rid of me.
这是一种非常阴暗的态度
That’s an awfully sour attitude.
你打算怎么做?自己扮演玛丽?那会毁了这部戏的。玛丽是整部戏的主角
What do you intend to do? Read it yourself? That would ruin it. Mary is the entire play.
我们不会推迟任何事
We are not postponing anything.
我一小时后回来,继续按计划进行,直到你们收到我的消息
I’ll be back in an hour. Carry on as we planned until you hear from me.
雪莉小姐。 -拜托,我想找哈里斯上尉谈谈
Miss Shirley. -I would like to speak to Capt. Harris, please.
对不起,他在书房♥里忙,不能打扰他,很遗憾
I’m sorry. He’s busy in his study and I regret to say he won’t be disturbed.
对不起,安娜贝尔,但这件事超越遗憾了
I’m sorry, Annabel, but this is a matter that goes beyond regret.
进来。我们在波士顿看看那批货,星期一,好的
Come in. We’ll look at the shipment in Boston. On Monday, alright.
很抱歉这么粗鲁地打断你,先生,但我会简短地说
I apologize for interrupting you so rudely, sir, but I’ll be brief.
因为你撤销了你对学院的财政支持
Because you’ve withdrawn you’re financial support from the college,
我们一直试图通过举办一场定于今晚举♥行♥的慈善音乐会
we have been attempting to raise the balance of our operating costs
来促进学院营运成本的收支平衡
through the production of a benefit concert scheduled for this evening.
现在我们的音乐会因为珍·普林格尔而受到威胁
Now our concert is threatened because Jen Pringle, our
她是我们的主角,却在最后一刻打电♥话♥说生病了
leading performer, has called in ill at the last minute.
艾米琳很熟悉那个角色,我们一直在一起研究
Emmeline knows the part cold; we’ve been studying it
这个机会对她来说意味着一切
together. This opportunity would mean the everything to her.
我知道你怎么看我,我的方法,还有学校
I know what you think of me, my methods, and the school,
但我恳求你让她今晚和我们一起表演
but I beg of you to let her perform with us tonight.
我明白了,那么,你的工作岌岌可危了? -我打算坚持到底,先生
I take it, then, your job is on the line? -I intend to see this through, sir.
你无权干涉我的家事,雪莉小姐
You have no businessinterfering here, Miss Shirley.
艾米琳自以为是,太容易受影响了
Emmeline is far too easily influenced for her own good.
但是,在这种情况下,我…
But, under the circumstances, I…
我认为我应该为我前几天说过的一些话向你道歉
I feel I owe you an apology for some of the things I said
所有麻烦无疑是我造成的
the other day and all the trouble I’ve obviously caused.
我并没有恶意。 -拜托,那是我自己的错
I meant no harm. -Please, that was my own fault.
也许是我的反应过激,把艾米琳带离了学校
Perhaps I reacted hastily taking Emmeline out of school.
普林格尔人喜欢在这个社区里发挥他们的影响力
Pringles like to throw their weight around this community.
你可能会说我让艾米琳的退学是自食恶果
You might say I took Emmeline’s expulsion as an attack on myself.
但是,我以为你支持一般人的看法?
But, I thought you supported the general consensus?
拜托,别把我和那帮人混为一谈
Please, don’t lump me in with that lot.
金斯波特是一个非常阴险的镇子
Kingsport is a very insidious town.
我很感激你的洞察力,雪莉小姐
I am grateful to you for your insights, Miss Shirley.
艾米琳会去。 -艾米琳会去?
Emmeline may go. -Emmeline may go?
艾米琳会去
Emmeline may go.
谢谢你,先生。我只是被感激之情冲昏了头
Thank you, sir. I’m just dizzy with gratitude.
对不起
Sorry.
雪莉小姐,雪莉小姐,你和艾米琳赶紧走吧
Miss Shirley. Miss Shirley. You and Emmeline hurry along.
普林格尔人正在磨刀霍霍。 -谢谢
The Pringles will be sharpening their knives. -Thank you.
“宽恕所有人对我的一切恶,无论伤害我的行为还是手段
“Forgive all evil toward me of all men, deed or device to hurt me.
“是的,当我的心冰冷之时,我不能容忍♥有一颗心未与我和解
Yea, I would not bear one heart unreconciled with mine when mine is cold,
“我不能带着任何包含仇恨、愤怒或错误的土,去握死神之手
I will not take Death’s hand with any soil of hate or wrath or wrong about me.
“在爱的和平中离开它“
pass from it in the general peace of love.”
谢谢,非常感谢你们所有人,嗯,为今晚的慈善活动提供了大量支持
Thank you. Thank you all so much for your, well, overwhelming
我现在向大家介绍
support for this evening’s benefit. I would now like to introduce to you
金斯波特女子学院才华横溢的年轻英语教授
K.L.C.’s brilliant, young English professor,
她监督了这部戏的每一个细节
an individual who has overseen every last inch of this production
她的天才导演使你们的女儿表演了如此精彩的节目,她就是—
and whose inspired direction has brought forth such magnificent performances from your daughters:
安妮·雪莉小姐
Miss Anne Shirley.
谢谢。 -雪莉小姐,我代表国王县教育委员会
Thank you. -Miss Shirley, on behalf of the Kings County Board of Education,
非常荣幸地向你展示这张支票
it gives me very great pleasure to present you with this check,
今晚激动人心的慈善活动的收益
the proceeds of this evening’s exciting events,
给金斯波特女子学院的
made out to the Kingsport Ladies’ College,
金额为$2500
in the amount of $2500.
谢谢,女士们先生们
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
如果没有今晚活动的另外三位积极支持者在我身边
It would be impossible for me to speak without having by my
我是不可能站在这里发言的,她们是—
side the three other energetic supporters of tonight’s events:
克尔小姐,麦凯小姐,尤其是我们敬爱的校长凯瑟琳·布鲁克小姐
Miss Kerr, Miss McKay, and especially our beloved principal, Miss Katherine Brooke
她们都为这部作品孜孜不倦地工作
who all worked so tirelessly on this production.
我怀着极大的恐惧,开始了我在金斯波特女子学院的这一年
It was with great trepidation that I began my year here at Kingsport Ladies’ College,
我对我的老师们和学生家长们感激不尽
and I owe an enormous debt of gratitude to my fellow teachers and to the parents of my students
在我刚到金斯波特的头几个星期,他们都试图让我感到宾至如归
who all tried to make me feel so at home during my first few weeks in Kingsport.
我已经学会爱和尊重我们金斯波特女子学院的所有女孩
I have grown to love and respect all of our girls at K.L.C.,
并在她们中间找到许多志趣相投的人
and have found many kindred spirits among them.
如果今晚我们打开了你们的心扉
If we have opened your hearts this evening
哪怕是些许的欢乐,我们就成功了
and entertained you even a little, we have succeeded.
感谢大家的大力支持
Thank you all for your very fine support.
谢谢
Thank you.
你为我的玛拉所做的一切,我真是感激不尽
I can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done for my Myra.
她这学期比过去好相处多了
She’s got along better this term than she has in a long time.
教她是一件乐事
She’s a joy to teach.
谢谢,但愿他们都意识到你是多么珍贵的一颗宝石,亲爱的
Thank you. I just hope they all realize what a jewel you are, my dear.
我知道有些普林格尔人很可恶,但我不在乎他们怎么说
I know some of the other Pringles have been abominable, but I don’t care what they say;
下学期你可以和我一起寄宿。 -谢谢你的邀请
You can board with me next term. -Thank you for the invitation.