谁在鼓动这些乌合之众?
Who are these rabble rousers?
哦,圣徒在上,我要晕倒了,我受不了这么新鲜的空气
Oh, dear saints above, I shall swoon. I can’t stand all this fresh air.
今天天气多好啊,我想你可以为学校举办一次野餐
It’s such a pretty day. I thought you could host a picnic for the school.
我不和任何人在外面吃午餐,姑娘们
I don’t eat my lunch outside with anyone, girls.
我不是破破烂烂的吉普赛人!推我进去!推我进去! -嘘,哈里斯夫人
I’m not a raggle-taggle gypsy! Take me in! Take me in! -Hush, Mrs. Harris.
这些姑娘中有些是普林格尔家族的。 -普林格尔家族?
Some of these girls are Pringles. -Pringles?
是的,你不想让她们跑回家讲故事吧
Yes, and you don’t want them running home and telling tales.
你会为此付出代价的,如果我感冒了…
You’ll pay for this. If I catch a chill…
你说过你想过一天摆脱轮椅的日子,奶奶。 -安静点儿!
You said you wanted a day off from your wheelchair, anyway, grandmama. -Be quiet!
早安,哈里斯夫人,你看起来很精神
Good morning, Mrs. Harris. You look awfully chipper.
谢谢你,亚历克·麦吉尼斯
Thank you, Alec McGuiness.
好吧,反正我死了又有什么关系? 我靠借来的时间活得太久了
Well, what does it matter if I die anyway? I’ve been living on borrowed time for too long as it is.
多么友善的人
Such friendly people.
迷人的邻居。你知道吗,我不赞成挑剔别人,亲爱的
Charming neighbors. You know, I don’t approve of criticizing people, my dear.
不赞成。我可以问一下,那都是你自己的头发吗?
No. May I ask, is that all your own hair?
是的,每根都是
Yes, every bit.
嗯,可惜是红色的,不过我相信红头发又开始流行了
Hmm. Pity it’s red. But I believe red is becoming quite popular again.
谢谢
Thank you.
姑娘们你们迟到了。怎么了,珍? 你的女仆又病了吗?
You girls are late. What happened, Jen? Was your maid sick again?
再来一个?
And another one?
哦,多么令人愉快啊,谢谢你,亲爱的
Oh, how delightful. Thank you, my dear.
这是我给你的礼物,艾米琳
This is my gift to you, Emmeline.
哦,雪莉小姐,你花了多少钱啊?
Oh, Miss Shirley. However did you pay for this?
我有一些幸运的积蓄
I had some lucky savings put aside.
哦,万分感谢!
Oh, thank you a million times over!
总有一天我会报答你
Someday I’ll make it up to you.
那么,这些姑娘给我送礼物真是太贴心了,不是吗?
Now, wasn’t that sweet of all these girls to give me gifts?
是的,是的
Yes, it was.
我很喜欢你的笑声,雪莉小姐,波琳那紧张的傻笑让我心烦意乱
I rather like your laugh, Miss Shirley. That nervous giggle of Pauline’s gets on my nerves.
好吧,我希望她在派对上玩得开心
Well, I hope she has a wonderful time at the party.
她可能是吃多了才生病的,那姑娘就像她父亲
She’s probably overeaten and made herself ill. Like her father, that girl.
她父亲从来不知道什么时候算吃够了,哼
He never knew when he had enough. Hmph.
我给你看过约西亚的照片吗,雪莉小姐?
Did I ever show you Josiah’s picture, Miss Shirley?
哎呀,他很英俊
Why he was very handsome.
可以说,满满的英雄气概
Full of heroic spirit, I’d say.
是的,他是金斯波特最帅的男人
Yes, he was the handsomest man in Kingsport.
而且他崇拜我
And he adored me.
他崇拜我,我们几乎每件事都互相商量
And he adored me. We consulted each other about
我得提醒你,我们并不总是意见一致
absolutely everything. Mind you, we didn’t always agree.
不,他脾气暴躁。哦,是的,我也脾气暴躁
No. He had his fits of temper. Oh, yes. And so did I.
我买♥♥了一顶他不喜欢的便帽,你知道他做了什么吗?
Do you know what he did when I bought a daycap he didn’t like?
想象不出
I can’t imagine.
他把它吃了,结果胃痛得要命
He ate it. It gave him a terrible stomach pain.
是的,活该!他非常恼火,因为我忘记同他商量
Yes, serves him right. He was so irked that I had neglected to consult him.
他怎能丢下我一个就这么离开,让我跛行如斯?
How could he go away and leave me alone and crippled like this?
死,是他唯一敢不和我商量就做的事
Dying was the only thing that he ever dared to do without consulting me.
过不了多久,我们就会再在一起了
Won’t be long before we’re together again.
没有像他那样独一无二的人,没有
There’s no one-no man like him. No.
这是一个堕落的时代,雪莉小姐
This is a degenerate age, Miss Shirley.
你儿子呢?
What about your son?
摩根
Morgan.
好吧,他成功地管理了他的钱,如果这算什么优点的话
Well, he managed his money successfully, if that’s any merit.
他父亲把他宠坏了
His father spoiled him.
嗯,他本不该和他表妹结婚
Well, he should never have married his cousin.
可怜的阿德莱德·普林格尔死了,是一件幸事,愿她安息
It’s a blessing that poor Adelaide Pringle died, dear soul.
摩根罪有应得,我想
Morgan got what he deserved, I suppose.
对一个母亲来说,这是一种非常不人道的态度,哈里斯夫人
That’s a very inhuman attitude for a mother, Mrs. Harris.
是的,好吧,我们并不是以同情心著称
Yes. Well, we’re not exactly famous for compassion,
雪莉小姐,尤其是我们自家人之间
Miss Shirley, especially among ourselves.
他们都在等我死,这样他们就能拿到钱了
They’re all waiting for me to die so they can get their hands on the money.
也许你应该意识到,艾米琳只想被人关心
Perhaps you ought to realize that Emmeline only wants to be cared for.
你心里如果还有一点同情心,你应该把它用在她身上
If you have any compassion left in your soul, you might spend it on her.
孩子们应该被看到,而不是被听到
Children should be seen and not heard.
你的看法似乎很有气量,雪莉小姐
You seem to be very broad-minded in your opinions, Miss Shirley.
这是我听过的最好的赞美,哈里斯夫人
That’s the nicest compliment anyone’s ever paid me, Mrs. Harris.
对不起,年轻人
Pardon me, young man.
我想知道,你愿意让我和我的姑娘们享受一下坐你的干草车到镇上去的乐趣吗?
I was wondering if you would allow my girls and me the pleasure of a hayride into town in your wagon?
这对她们来说太刺♥激♥了,我保证她们不会有任何麻烦
It would be so exciting for them, and I promise they won’t be any trouble.
妈妈!
Mama!
妈妈?
Mama?
你还是走吧,再见
You’ll simply have to go. Good bye.
妈妈?
Mama?
妈妈,发生什么事了?妈妈,你还好吧?
Mama, what’s happened? Mama, are you alright?
你戴帽子了,妈妈,我不记得上次我… – 波琳,你能让自己冷静下来吗?
You’re wearing a hat. Mama, I can’t remember the last time I…
-Pauline, will you calm yourself?
你听起来歇斯底里,你没见过我经常戴帽子吗,姑娘?
You sound hysterical. Haven’t you seen me wear a hat often enough, girl?
雪莉小姐建议在户外吃午餐,非常愉快
Miss Shirley suggested an alfresco lunch. It was most enjoyable.
我一直为你担心,妈妈,整个派对我都很担心
I’ve been so anxious about you, mama. I was worried sick the entire party.
你能不能不激动,姑娘? 烦躁的家伙
Will you stop fluttering, girl? You fidget.
波琳,你在结婚周年派对上玩得开心吗? -哦,天啊,是的
Pauline, did you have a good time at your wedding party? -Oh, my, yes.
哦,露易莎送给你的花束,妈妈,这些花真漂亮
Oh, Louisa sent you her your bouquet, mama. The flowers were wonderful.
客厅是个凉亭… -像葬礼一样,我想
The parlor was a bower… -Like a funeral, I suppose.
牧师再次为露易莎表妹和莫里斯举♥行♥了婚礼。 -亵渎神灵
And the minister married cousin Louisa and Maurice all over again. -Sacrilegious.
莫莉和艾米莉向你问好,还有,哦,艾米莉生了个香喷喷的宝宝
Molly and Emily send their love. And, oh, Emily has the most delicious baby.
香喷喷?你说得好像是吃的东西似的,婴儿太寻常了
You speak as though it was something to eat. Babies are common enough.
婴儿从来都不寻常,每一个都是奇迹
Babies are never common. Each one is a miracle.
好吧,我有两个,我看不出他们哪一个有什么神奇的地方
Well, I had two of them. I didn’t see much that was miraculous about either of them.
妈妈,你今天很开朗。 你俩相处得怎样,雪莉小姐?
Mama, you’re so bright and cheerful today. However did you two get along, Miss Shirley?
嗯,我有头脑,我们相处得很好
Well, that I have a head, and we got on well enough.
我不在乎普林格尔人说什么,我觉得你很好看
I don’t care what the Pringles say; I think you’re quite good looking.
谢谢
Thank you.
哦,天哪!
Oh, good grief!
好啊,好啊, “小波比丢了羊,不知该去哪儿找”(著名儿歌♥《小波比》)
Well, well. “Little Bo-Peep has lost her sheep and doesn’t know where to find them.”
再见,克尔小姐。从此以后,我不会对任何事情感到惊讶了
Good day, Miss Kerr. After this, I shall be surprised at nothing.
“随它们去吧,它们会自己回家,摇着它们的尾巴”
“Leave them alone, and they’ll come home, bringing their tails behind them.”
把那些羊弄出去!
Get those sheep out of here!
爸爸!
Papa!
艾米琳!跟你说过,在外面不准戴那副可笑的眼镜
Emmeline! You were told to stop wearing those ridiculous spectacles outside.
如果你一直戴着它们,你的视力永远不会提高…
Your eyesight will never improve if you constantly wear them-
是的,爸爸,但是雪莉小姐给了我这副新的,我… -进去吧
Yes, papa, but Miss Shirley gave me these new ones and I- -Go inside.
马上。 -但是…
Immediately. -But…
快点
Hurry up.
年轻人! 谁该对此负责?
Young man! Who is responsible for this?
这是你的马车吗?
Is this your wagon?
哦,谢谢,我们玩得很开心。 -雪莉小姐,我可以和你说句话吗?
Oh, thank you. We had a marvelous time.
-Miss Shirley. May I have a word with you?
你先走吧,克尔小姐,我会赶上的
You run along, Miss Kerr. I’ll catch up.
可以,先生
Yes, sir.
似乎每次我们相遇,都有一场灾难横亘在我的路上
It seems that each time we meet, a catastrophe lies in my way.
嗯,那么也许你应该让开
Well, then perhaps you ought to get out of the way.
如果人们对我的指示漫不经心,我会很生气的,雪莉小姐
I get annoyed when people treat my instructions lightly, Miss Shirley.
我明确命令我的女儿
I gave explicit orders that my daughter was to have
不能再与金斯波特女子学院有任何联♥系♥
no further association with Kingsport Ladies’ College.
你能告诉我,你们到底在这儿干什么吗?
Would you mind telling me what the devil you’re doing here?
先生,我们参加一次郊游野餐,由你母亲举办
We have been on a country picnic, sir. Hosted by your mother.
我母亲?她授权把所有的马车取出来,邀请所有的姑娘们?
My mother? She authorized taking out all those carriages and inviting all those girls?
不,先生,是我做的
No, sir. I did.
因为她除了自己以外,没有更好的事情可想
And as she has nothing better to think about than herself,
我想是时候有人来帮她了
I thought that it was high time someone tried to help her.
你真的很疯狂,就像我听到的关于你的谣言一样
Then you really are as insane as all the rumors I’ve heard about you.
你听说什么了? -你不会想知道的
What have you heard? -You wouldn’t want to know.
不,我想知道
Yes, I would.
普林格尔家族的人给你贴上了“疯癫英语教授”的标签
The Pringles have labeled you the “Mad-capped English Professor.”
有人说你写了一个他们读过的最荒谬的故事…
Someone said you had written the most ridiculous story they’d ever read published by…
由某个可靠发酵粉公♥司♥出版
something or other Reliable Baking Powder Company.
还说,你是他们所认识的女教师中最傻的红毛老鼠
And that you were the silliest red-headed mouse of a schoolmistress they’d ever known.
就是多亏你,我差点被炒鱿鱼!
Thanks to you, I was very nearly fired!
每件事背后都有一个合乎逻辑的解释
There’s a logical explanation behind everything.
除了你们,你们真是我所见过的心胸最狭隘的人
But, you people really are the most narrow-minded,
以自我为中心,爱吵架的群体
self-centered, quarrelsome group I have ever encountered.
我想毒死你们整个家族。 除了你们自己,你们不能眼睁睁看到别人成功
I’d like to poison your entire clan. You can’t stand to see anyone succeed other than yourselves.