什么? -雪莉小姐
What? -Miss Shirley.
见鬼,你一开始为什么不早说?
Satan’s life, why didn’t you say so in the first place?
这位就是臭名昭著的雪莉小姐?
So this is the infamous Miss Shirley?
我明白了,是来拿她应得的那一磅肉的
Come to take her pound of flesh, I see.
你好吗,哈里斯太太? -一点都不好
How do you do, Mrs. Harris? -Far from well.
这些日记你想要多少钱?
How much do you want for these diaries?
我没有打算卖♥♥掉它们
I hadn’t any intention of selling them.
可否坐下谈谈?
Is there any use in asking you to sit down?
好的,谢谢
Yes, thank you.
还有谁看过这些日记?
Who else has seen these?
据我所知,没人看过
No one, as far as I know.
那我就准备谈判了
Then I am ready to negotiate.
我会给你你想要的
I will give you what you want,
如果你向我保证
if you’ll give me your word
不把这可怕的东西泄露给其他普林格尔
not to reveal this monstrosity to the rest of the Pringles.
我只是希望能说服你,让我来辅♥导♥你的孙女艾米琳
I was only hoping I might convince you to let me to tutor your granddaughter, Emmeline,
据我所知,她不会回学校了
as I understand she will not be returning to school.
哦,聪明啊,不是吗? 糖衣勒索
Oh, clever, aren’t we? Sugar-coated blackmail.
你想要一份固定的薪水来保持沉默,是吗?
You want a regular salary to keep you quiet, is that it?
请再说一遍好吗?
I beg your pardon?
天真如鸽子,狡猾似毒蛇
Innocent as doves; cunning as serpents.
当你发现关于我丈夫的丑闻时,你就知道那不是真的
You knew when you found that scandalous entry about my husband, it wasn’t true.
不可能是真的。其他普林格尔会很高兴相信,不是吗
It couldn’t be true. The rest of the Pringles will be delighted to believe it, won’t they,
让我们成为金斯波特的笑柄
and make us the laughing stock of Kingsport.
哪条丑闻? -哦,这么说不止一条,是吗?
Which scandalous entry? -Oh, so there’s more than one, is there?
波琳
Pauline.
“约西亚·哈里斯的船被烧毁,船只被劫走
“Josiah Harris’ ship was burned and the boats taken.
“哈里斯和船员们几乎被饿死
Harris and the crew nearly starved.
“最后,他们…他们吃了乔纳斯·塞尔柯克
In the end, they… they ate Jonas Selkirk
“那个开枪自杀的人
who had shot himself.
“他们靠吃他而活,直到获救
They lived on him until rescued.
“哈里斯亲口告诉我
Harris told me himself.
“似乎觉得这是一个很好的笑话”
Seemed to think it was a good joke.”
有时,爸爸会很生气… -波琳!安静点儿!
On occasion, papa would get so angry… -Pauline! Be quiet!
那是个谎言
That is a lie.
我丈夫从来没吃过人,不管是死的还是活的
My husband never ate anyone, dead or alive.
更别说乔纳斯·塞尔柯克了
Let alone Jonas Selkirk.
亚伯拉罕·普林格尔写这些废话是为了让他愚蠢的妻子兴奋
Abraham Pringle wrote that nonsense to get a rise out of his silly wife.
艾米·普林格尔是出了名的好骗
Amy Pringle was notoriously gullible.
哦,拜托,雪莉小姐,别把这些东西给任何人看
Oh, please, Miss Shirley. Don’t show these to anyone.
我们的普林格尔亲戚会把这件事公之于众,我们什么都愿意答应你
Our Pringle relations might publicize it. We’ll do anything.
好了,雪莉小姐,你很想给我孙女当家教吗?
Now, Miss Shirley. How much do you want to tutor my granddaughter?
哎,你完全误解我了
Why, you’ve misunderstood me completely.
我不是在威胁你
I’m not threatening you.
我只是觉得你会喜欢其他有关你丈夫的精彩故事
I just thought you’d enjoy all the other splendid things said about your husband.
我做梦也没想过告诉别人他是个食人族
I never dreamed of telling anyone he was a cannibal.
嗯,很自然,在金斯波特,我们往往会对外地人有点怀疑
Well, naturally, we tend to be a little suspicious of strangers in Kingsport.
也许我们看错你了
Perhaps we have misjudged you.
我想这孩子应该继续学习
I suppose the child should continue with her studies.
波琳没有时间,她忙着照顾我
Pauline has no time; she’s busy looking after me.
你不会向任何人提起这个误会吧?
You won’t mention this misunderstanding to anyone, will you?
我会尽量记住不向人提起
I’ll try to remember not to.
你想什么时候开始?
And when do you want to start?
马上
Immediately.
三角形的这两个角相等
These two angles of the triangle are equal to each other.
这两个角对应的两条边相等
The two sides opposite these angles are equal to each other.
艾米琳,为什么没人给你换眼镜?
Emmeline, why hasn’t anyone replaced your spectacles?
嗯,爸爸说我没必要像现在这样频繁地戴
Well, papa says I don’t really need to wear them as much as I do.
奶奶不给我换眼镜,因为她是个老吝啬鬼
And grandmama won’t because she’s an old skinflint.
那是谁给你眼镜的? -两年前波士顿修道院的院长嬷嬷
Who gave you those, then? -Mother Superior at the convent in Boston two years ago.
不管怎样,我只能用它们来阅读
Anyway, I’m only supposed to use them for reading.
你不能再用这一副了,你必须再配一副
You simply cannot use them anymore. You must have another pair.
我找到剧本的另一份拷贝了… -《苏格兰女王玛丽》!
I found another copy of Mary… -“Mary Queen of Scots”!
哦,光是她的名字就让我震颤到手指尖
Oh, her very name just thrills me to my fingertips.
我不相信她真的谋杀了达恩利,你呢?
I don’t believe she really murdered Darnley, do you?
嘘! 你们要是把她吵醒,愿上帝保佑你们俩
Shh! Heaven help you two if you wake her up.
我觉得这太戏剧化了,你说呢?
I think it’s ever so dramatic, don’t you?
这是一个极具挑战性的角色。 -我们过去在修道院里常上戏剧课和音乐课
It’s a very challenging role. -We used to have dramatics and music at the convent.
院长嬷嬷说我这两样都很擅长
Mother Superior said I was quite good at both.
你知道吗?她还教过我弹钢琴
She taught me to play the piano, too, you know.
不幸的是,奶奶不让我碰钢琴
Unfortunately, grandmama won’t let me touch it.
我们可以一起读吗? -可以
Could we read it together? -I think so.
其他角色我来扮演,你念玛丽
I’ll play all of the other parts, and you read Mary.
我们从这里开始
Let’s start here.
“宽恕所有人对我的一切恶,无论伤害我的行为还是手段…
“Forgive all evil toward me of all men, deed or device to hurt me…
“…是的,当我的心冰冷之时,我不能容忍♥有一颗心未与我和解
“… Yea, I would not bear one heart unreconciled with mine when mine is cold.
“我不能带着任何包含仇恨、愤怒或错误的土,去握死神之手
“I will not take Death’s hand with any soil of hate or wrath or wrong about me.
“作为过去世界的朋友
“But being friends with this past world,
“在爱的和平中离开它“
pass from it in the general peace of love.”
太棒了!
That was wonderful!
谢谢你带我来,雪莉小姐
Thank you for bringing me, Miss Shirley.
这将是我们的秘密地方,你不能向任何人透露
This will be our secret place which you cannot reveal to anyone.
奶奶从不让我一个人出门
Grandmama never lets me out alone.
她认为我可能会被吉普赛人绑♥架♥
She thinks I’m liable to be kidnapped by gypsies.
我不明白她为什么在意我会不会被吉普赛人绑♥架♥
I don’t know why she’d care if I was kidnapped by gypsies;
她只关心她的背痛和她的脚痛
all she cares about is her aching back and sore feet.
好了,好了,老年人固守他们自己的成长方式
Now, now. Old people cling to the way they were brought up themselves.
她暗地里恨我
Secretly she hates me.
总是叫我“这孩子”
She always calls me “the child”
就好像我是“这小狗”或“这小猫”一样
as though I may be “the dog” or “the cat.”
只要我发出一点响声,她就几乎晕过去
If I make a spark of noise, she nearly passes out.
她是个老暴君,总有一天,我会远走高飞
She’s and old tyrant and someday, I’m going to run away forever
去做一个真正的演员
and become a real actress.
你为什么从来没和你父亲住在一起?
Why have you never lived with your father?
他忙着做他的生意
He’s very occupied with his business affairs.
在我到这所学校之前,我在另外两所寄宿学校上过学
I was at two other boarding schools before I came to this one.
他带我来这里,是为了让我跟着奶奶,这样他就不用担心我了
But he brought me here so I would be close to grandmama and so he wouldn’t worry about me.
我相信他是想做到最好
I’m sure he means to do what’s best.
你知道吗,珍·普林格尔说我爸爸的话很伤人
What Jen Pringle said about my papa hurt, you know…
因为她说的是真的
Because it’s true.
“亲爱的爸爸,我非常想回到K.L.C(“金斯波特女子学院”的缩写)
“Dear Papa, I want so much to return to K.L.C.
“我想请你允许我下学期回K.L.C
I’d like to ask you to allow me to go back to K.L.C. next term.
“在我离开之前,我在班上名列前茅
I was at the top of my class before I left
“希望你会为我的成绩感到骄傲
and hoped you’d be proud of my grades.
“请理解这一切都是误会
Please understand it was all a mistake.
“我试着在巴尔的摩联♥系♥你,但我猜你从来没有收到过那封信”
I tried to reach you in Baltimore, but I suppose you never received the letter.”
雪莉小姐来给你辅♥导♥,小姐。 -谢谢
Miss Shirley is here for your tutorial, Miss. -Thank you.
雪莉小姐! 奶奶会把你活活吃掉的!
Miss Shirley! Grandmama will eat you alive!
我们要在这个房♥间里学习,我简直不能再忍♥受这种阴郁的气氛了
We’re to have our studies in this room. I simply cannot tolerate the gloominess any longer.
我要给你一个惊喜
I have a wonderful surprise for you.
史黛西小姐借给我一本皇家音乐学院的教材,你今天就可以开始学了
Miss Stacey has lent me a Royal Conservatory program and you can begin today.
我不能,奶奶不准我… -无稽之谈!
I can’t. Grandmama has forbidden me… -Fiddlesticks!
是时候有人提醒你奶奶钢琴的声音是什么样的了
It’s high time someone reminded your grandmama what a piano sounds like.
呃,而且那个人不应该是我。你从这些基本练习开始,作为复习
Uh, and it shouldn’t be me. You can start with these elementary exercises as a refresher course.
毕竟,这是朝正确方向迈出一步
But, it is a step in the right direction.
我去拿你的课本。弹啊!
I’ll get your textbooks. Play!
波琳!到这里来,姑娘
Pauline! Come in here, girl.
我们要回复,我们要告诉他们我们不能接受
We will answer and we will tell them we cannot accept.
妈妈想让她安静下来,阿比盖尔
Mama wants her stationary, Abigail.
究竟是谁在制♥造♥这该死的喧闹?
Who on earth is making that confounded racket?
那架钢琴不是用来弹奏的!
That piano isn’t meant to be played!
离那儿远点,孩子!
Get away from there, child!
谁允许你弹那架钢琴的?
Who gave you permission to play that piano?
很抱歉,哈里斯夫人,必须允许艾米琳花一些时间学习音乐
I’m sorry, Mrs. Harris, but Emmeline must be allowed to devote some time to musical studies.
我不赞成年轻女孩在公共场合弹钢琴
I don’t believe in young girls playing the piano in public.
这往往会让她们胆大妄为,得寸进尺
It tends to make them bold and forward.
为什么,我认为你或许是明智的,哈里斯夫人
Why, I think perhaps you are wise, Mrs. Harris.
但是,我听说金斯波特的大多数普林格尔年轻姑娘女孩都有私人课程
However, I am told that most of the young Pringle girls in Kingsport have private lessons.
我只是不想被人指责在艾米琳的适当教养方面疏忽失职而已
I just wouldn’t want to be accused of negligence in Emmeline’s proper upbringing.
好吧,谁允许你打开那些窗户的?
Well, who gave you permission to open those windows?