我们拭目以待吧,你来这里是董事会的决定,不是我的
We shall see. You are here as a result of the board’s decision, not mine.
或许作为一位乡村教师,你会发现我们拥有最现代化的效率
or a country schoolmarm, you will find that we are equipped with the most modern efficiencies,
这是凭借某些显赫家族的巨大经济支持
due to the tremendous financial support of certain prominent families.
事实上,我们是普罗旺斯第一所拥有电♥话♥的学校
In fact, we are the first school in the Provence to have a telephone.
欢迎来到新的一年
Welcome to a new year.
我相信你们这些姑娘已经准备好确定要进入第一节课了
I trust you girls are ready to drive into the first session with determination.
你们都知道,麦凯小姐,数学和科学; 克尔小姐,历史和地理;
You all know Miss McKay, mathematics and science; Miss Kerr, history and geography;
雪莉小姐将是你们的新老师,负责英语和文学
and Miss Shirley will be your new teacher responsible for English and literature
以及所有寄宿生
as well as all student boarders.
雪莉小姐将和我们一起住在学校里,有直接的监督权
Miss Shirley will be living in the school with us and will have direct supervisory authority.
那么,让我们开始工作吧,不要乱说乱动
Let us get to work, then, with no nonsense.
请你们自己按课表排好队
Please organize yourselves into forms.
第一列,你们看看成直线吗?
Form one, do you call that a straight line?
艾米琳·哈里斯,向前一步
Emmeline Harris, step forward.
如果你打算养成这样的习惯,我将别无选择,只能在课后把你留堂
If intend to make a habit of this, I will have no choice but to detain you after class.
退后一步
Step back.
还要学会对电铃信♥号♥♥做出反应
Learn to respond to signals on the electric bell, as well.
我更喜欢为每个小组编个名目,比如女生联谊会
I’d much prefer to invent titles for each group, like a sorority.
导师、肯特,还有温莎,怎么样?
What about Tutor, Kent, and Windsor?
我对童话不感兴趣
I am not interested in fairytales.
你必须学会使用我们系统的现代化设备
You must learn to use the modern conveniences of our system.
课间休息时,我会用电铃
At recess, I will employ the electric bell.
你的课室在走廊尽头,第一扇门
Your room is down the hall, first door.
你认为自己凌驾于规则之上吗,雪莉小姐?
Perhaps you think you are above rules, Miss Shirley?
嗯哼,你们可以走了,姑娘们
A-hem. Off you go, girls.
拜托,姑娘们,请安静
Please, girls. Quiet, please.
早上好
Good morning.
首先,我想和大家分享,这对我来说是莫大的荣幸
I would like to begin by sharing with you what a great privilege it would be for me to share with-
在即将来临的一年中,我们将共同分享我对英语文学的热爱
-to share with you my great love of English literature during the forthcoming year.
但愿我在莎士比亚作品上比在我的脚上要轻松一些
Let’s hope I’m a little lighter on Shakespeare than I am on my feet.
无需介意
Nevermind.
我准备了一份讲义,但现在看来不是很重要
I had a speech prepared, but it doesn’t seem very important right now.
我叫安妮·雪莉,我知道我们很快就会成为好朋友
My name is Anne Shirley, and I know we shall all become good friends in no time.
我来自一个叫埃文利的小镇,在爱德华王子岛
I come from a little town called Avonlea, on Prince Edward’s Island,
过去两年我一直在那里教书
where I have been teaching for the past two years.
所以这是我第一次在私立学校工作
So this is my first time in a private school position, and
我希望你们都能给我很多帮助
I hope you will all be able to give me lots of assistance.
现在,当我叫到你们的名字时,回答“在”
Now, when I call out your name, answer “here.”
玛拉 C.普林格尔
Pringle, Myra C.
丽贝卡 A.普林格尔
Pringle, Rebecca A.
这些不是你们的名字吗? -不是,小姐
Aren’t these your names? -No, Miss.
也许是班级名单弄混了
Perhaps the class lists have been mixed up.
哦,好吧,那么告诉我你们的名字,一次一个,从第一排的那位小姐开始
Oh. Alright. Give me your names, then, one at a time, starting here with the young lady in the front row.
先说名字,再说年龄。 -欧彭娜,范妮 I.欧彭娜
(Opener意为“开瓶器”,Fanny意为“女♥阴♥”)
Last name first, and age. -Oppener, Fanny I. Oppener.
“欧彭娜”里有两个“P”,14岁
There are two “P”s in Oppener. 14.
葛德尔,默特尔 N.葛德尔,14岁
(Girdle意为“腰带”,Myrtle意为“桃金娘”)
Girdle. Myrtle N. Girdle. 14.
海因德,那是H-E-I-N-D,爱丽丝 B·海因德,14岁
Heind. That’s H-E-I-N-D. Alice B. Heind. 14.
鲍尔,威尔玛 I.鲍尔,33岁
(Ball意为“球”)
Ball. Wilma I. Ball. 33.
实际上,我是罗林斯可靠发酵粉公♥司♥的
Actually, I’m from the Rollings Reliable Baking Company
我们在想你什么时候有空能给我们重新写标签
and we were wondering when you’d be available to rewrite our labels.
够了
That’s enough.
我没想到会有这样一个班,家长们给孩子起名字时都如此蠢笨
I hadn’t anticipated a class whose the parents were such nitwits at naming their children.
哈里斯,艾米琳·哈里斯,13岁
Harris, Emmeline Harris. 13.
别相信她们任何一个,雪莉小姐。 -什么意思?
And don’t believe any of them, Miss Shirley. -What do you mean?
她们就是在开你的玩笑,因为她们是普林格尔家的,她们认为她们可以逃脱惩罚
They’re just pulling your leg because they’re Pringles and they think they can get away with it.
奥立望远镜之眼,就算她和某人面对面,她都不会知道这是一个普林格尔
Ole Telescope Eyes, here wouldn’t know a Pringle if she was face to face with one.
既然范妮 I.欧彭娜、默特尔 N.葛德尔、爱丽丝 B·海因德和威尔玛 I.鲍尔小姐
Since Misses Fanny I. Oppener, Myrtle N. Girdle, Alice B. Heind, and Wilma I. Ball
发现自己那么机智
find themselves so terribly witty,
今天下课后,她们要抄写100遍准确的班级名单,作为我的福利
they will write out an accurate class list 100 times today after classes, for my benefit.
现在,请打开你们的读本
Now, open your readers, please.
小姐…
Miss…
雪莉小姐
Miss Shirley.
雪莉小姐,帮帮她
Miss Shirley, help her.
艾米琳·哈里斯,带这个姑娘去女洗手间
Emmeline Harris, take this girl to the ladies’ room.
把手帕泡在冷水里,看看冷敷能不能止血
Soak the handkerchief in some cold water and see if you can stop the bleeding.
好啦! 你们都坐下,现在! 待在自己的座位上
Alright! All of you sit down, now! And remain seated.
谁把蛇放进我桌子里的?
Who put the snake in my desk?
你的真名是什么? -珍·普林格尔,雪莉小姐
What is your real name? -Jen Pringle, Miss Shirley.
是你放的吗,珍·普林格尔? -是,是我
Was it you, Jen Pringle? -Yes, it was.
今天放学后你将被留堂
You will be detained after classes today.
…并且,整一星期的每一天
…And every day for the entire week.
现在,同学们,请打开你们读本第三页
Now, please, open your third form readers, class.
我不能留堂,雪莉小姐
I can’t, Miss Shirley.
我妈妈希望我在接下来的三天里参加妇女援助协会的清♥仓♥义卖♥♥
My mother expects me for the next three days at the Ladies’ Aid Society Rummage Sale.
嗯,我很抱歉,但你妈妈得另作安排了
Well, I’m sorry, but your mother will have to make other arrangements.
但她答应让我在组织委员会帮忙
But she’s promised my help on the organization committee.
我不介意,既然我说了,你就得留堂
I don’t care. You’ll stay if I say so.
我就是不能留堂,对不起
I simply cannot stay. I’m sorry.
好吧,那就取决于你,是不是,珍·普林格尔?
Well, then, it’s up to you, isn’t it, Jen Pringle?
你要么这个星期放学后留堂
Either you stay after school for the week,
要么我将不得不执行鞭罚
or I’ll have to administer the strap.
你不能这么做,雪莉小姐
You just can’t do that, Miss Shirley.
我选择鞭罚。 -真的?
I’ll take the strap. -Really?
既然如此,过来,普林格尔小姐
Come here, then, Miss Pringle.
伸出你的手
Put out your hand.
同学们,打开你们的读本,请在剩下的时间里阅读第一章
Open your readers, class, and please look at the first chapter for the rest of the period.
你没事吧,埃茜? -恐怕我对爬行动物感觉很不好
Are you alright, Essie? -I’m afraid I’m not very good around reptiles.
我也是
Neither am I.
你会习惯埃茜的,雪莉小姐,她每周至少晕倒一次
You’ll get used to Essie, Miss Shirley. She faints at least once a week.
医生说她血虚
The doctors say her blood is weak.
谢谢你,艾米琳
Thank you, Emmeline.
不要担心普林格尔家的女孩们,她们唯一喜欢的人就是她们自己
And don’t concern yourself about the Pringle girls either. The only people they like are themselves.
我这么说毫无恶意,因为我母亲就是一个普林格尔
I can say that without malice because my mother was a Pringle.
此外,我喜欢你,而且我认为你很聪明地处理了这堂课
Besides, I like you, and I think you handled the class very intelligently.
你这个叛徒,哈里斯,我猜在金斯波特只有两种人:
You traitor, Harris. I guess there are only two kinds of people in Kingsport:
普林格尔家族的和非普林格尔家族的
those who are Pringles and those who aren’t.
闭嘴,珍,我一点也不在乎你说什么
Shut up, Jen. I don’t care a snit what you say.
我是半个普林格尔
I’m half Pringle.
哈!你母亲活得不够长,不能给你带来任何东西
Hah! You’re mother didn’t live long enough to make you anything.
而且我爸爸说,你♥爸♥爸是这个国家最伟大的花♥花♥公♥子♥
and my papa says your papa is the greatest philanderer in this country,
所以你简直就是个孤儿
so that practically makes you an orphan.
你再敢说我父亲一个字!你这个笨蛋,一无是处的鹅蛋!
Don’t you dare ever say another word about my father again! You stupid, good for nothing goose-egg!
住手! 他是个畜生,我爸爸也这么说!
Stop that! He’s a brute and my papa says so!
现在让我们看看你的嘴巴有多大,珍·普林格尔
Let’s see how big your mouth is now, Jen Pringle.
我的眼镜!
My glasses!
够了!艾米琳,起来,那里!站起来!
That is enough! Emmeline, get up, there! Stand up!
你们这些姑娘不懂礼貌吗? 这不是土耳其怪异
Have you girls no propriety? This is not a Turkish bizarre.
他们想骑那辆自行车撞倒我。 -你这个小骗子!
They tried to run me down on that bicycle. -You little liar!
她把她的钩槌扔进轮子里,把我们绊倒了,是不是埃茜?
She threw her crochet mallet in the wheel and tripped us, didn’t she Essie?
我没扔,你这个畜生,她袭击了我
Did not, you beast. She attacked me.
住嘴,我真想以这样的流氓行为把你们俩开除掉
Stop it. I have a good mind to expel you both for such hooliganism.
校园内禁止骑自行车,这玩意儿从现在起没收
Bicycles are forbidden on school property. This contraption is confiscated as of this moment.
但是,布鲁克小姐,自行车不是我的,是我哥哥的
But, Miss Brooke, the bicycle isn’t mine. It’s my brother’s.
他不该那么愚蠢,把它托付给你
He ought not to have been so foolish as to have entrusted it to you.
惩罚她哥哥似乎不太公平。 -是的,布鲁克小姐,我想…
Hardly seems fair to be punishing her brother. -Yes, Miss Brooke, I think-
你们不懂英语吗?
Do you not understand English?
现在,我要你们两个女孩互相道歉,举止要像淑女一样
Now, I want you two girls to apologize to each other and behave like proper young ladies.
我很愿意原谅你的不礼貌
I am quite prepared to forgive your lack of manners.
我原谅你粗鲁的评论
And I your rude comments.
够了
That’s enough.
好了,别像鸽子一样站在那儿,姑娘们,去吧
Well, don’t stand there like pigeons, girls. Go along.
雪莉小姐,如果你再让这样的事情发生
If you allow an outburst like that to occur again, Miss Shirley,
你会让董事会考虑考虑的
you shall have the board to reckon with.
把这个锁进棚屋,麦克塔维什,去吧,姑娘们,别停下来
Lock this in the shed, McTavish. Go along, girls. Don’t stop.
找这些?
Looking for these?
珍!
Jen!
关于你的眼镜我很抱歉,我们会把它们换掉的
I’m sorry about you’re spectacles. We’ll get them replaced.
眼镜倒没什么,瞧她是怎么说我爸爸的
It’s not that. It’s what she said about my papa.
不管她们说什么,你都得忘掉,那都是胡扯

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!