任何一位记者或战地记者
that come in and out of our wire service bureau.
毕竟,善有善报啊
And, after all, one good turn always deserves another.
弗格斯!
Fergus!
你完全忘记了指定的打字速度
You completely forgot to specify typing speed.
广♥告♥完全符合你的要求,亲爱的
The ad is exactly as you requested, my dear.
莫德·蒙特罗斯
Maude Montrose,
见见安妮·布莱斯夫人
meet Mrs. Anne Blythe.
蒙特罗斯小姐
Miss Montrose,
我的背景
my background
主要是编辑,曾供职纽约的温菲尔德出版社
is mostly editorial — Winfield Publishing house in New York.
我每分钟能打50个字
I can type 50 words a minute.
好了,我们做个协议
Well, we have an agreement.
请坐
Please.
你将是她的助手
You’ll be working as her assistant
但实际上,你会为我工作
but, in reality, you’ll be working for me.
坦白地说,布莱斯夫人,我们需要有人
Frankly, Mrs. Blythe, we need someone
盯着莫德
to keep an eye on Maudie.
她有一大群社会名流
She has a large clientele of socialites,
他们中的许多人试图在她的专栏中表达自己的观点
many of whom try to express their own views in her column.
有时候,她对政♥治♥的态度有点
Sometimes her approach to politics
嗯,误入歧途
is a tad, um, misguided.
提前告诉我,可能突然出现在她的专栏里的
Warning me ahead of time of any sensitive matters
任何敏感之事
that might crop up in her column
这样会让我们大家省去很多麻烦
would save us all a great deal of trouble.
好了,我们达成协议了
Well, we have an agreement.
噢,拜托
Oh, please.
我是在曼哈顿长大的
I was raised in Manhattan.
我可不想找个
You’re not going to burden me
背信弃义的纽约小编辑来烦我
with some perfidious, little New York editor.
好了,好了
Now, now.
别担心,布莱斯夫人,她不会咬人的
Don’t worry, Mrs. Blythe. She won’t bite.
你们两个互相认识一下
I’ll leave you two to get acquainted.
好了,这份工作是暂时的,安妮·布莱斯
Well, the job is a temporary one, Anne Blythe,
直到我能用脚走得更快些
until I can move faster on my feet.
现在让我坦率地说,亲爱的
Now let me be Frank, darling.
我的专栏是读者最多的
My column is the most widely read
就这份无聊的报纸而言
in this boring paper.
我将尽力而为
I’ll do my best.
有什么要写的,我很乐意帮忙
Any writing to do, I’m happy to oblige.
我唯一的日常琐事…
My one mundane chore here…
是打瞌睡,小专栏叫:
Is a sleepy, little column called
“对房♥子和家庭的有益提示”(也可理解为”帮个忙回家吧”)
“helpful hints for house and home,”
埋在分类广♥告♥里
buried in the classifieds.
看看下周你能想出什么好主意
See what ideas you can dredge up for next week.
你的办公桌在那边
Your desk is over there.
我告诉过你,我想要一个符合我条件的人
I told you I wanted someone who met my criteria.
哦,我明白了
Oh, I see.
你一定要雇这个人,对吧,弗格斯?
You just have to hire this one, don’t you, Fergus?
为什么你不让她报道哈林顿的抚恤金?
Why don’t you have her cover the Harrington Benefit?
也许她能做些好事
Perhaps she’ll do the world of good.
嗯
Hmm.
吉尔
Gil!
这张破布的封面上写什么”有益提示”?
What is “helpful hints” doing on the cover of this rag?
卖♥♥报纸
Selling papers.
女人想看故事
Women want to read stories
关于其他女人对战争作出贡献的故事
about other women’s contributions to the war effort.
她们当然作出了贡献
Of course they do.
这是我的主意
It was my idea.
布莱斯夫人赢得了大批妇女的热情
Mrs. Blythe has captured the enthusiasm of legions of women
她们开始抗♥议♥这场战争
who are starting to protest the war.
看这里:
Look at this:
“牺牲与损失
“Sacrifice and loss”
“是由妇女在家庭战线中承担
“are the burden of women on the homefront.”
“就像在战壕里挣扎的军官
“Like the officer who struggles throughout the trenches,”
“永无解脱之时
“there is never a moment of release”
“因为那些日夜等待的亲人
“for the loved ones who wait days and weeks”
“无时不担心收到阵亡报告”
“in fear of the report of their impending loss.”
你什么时候能如此感同身受?
When could you ever write with such empathy?
法国大使♥馆♥能再去
Could the French embassy go back
红十字会了解更多情况吗?
to the Red Cross for more information?
我有一个联♥系♥人
I have a contact there who can
可以核实你的信的来源
verify the source of your letter.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我们2点见面
We were to meet at 2:00.
那将是令人愉快的
It would be delightful
如果你能把同样的热情
if you could put the same
投入到我的需要中
intensity into my needs.
今天的证据在哪?
Where are today’s proofs?
照片?
Photos?
宾客名单?
The guest list?
出版目录?
Published menu?
看起来很好吃
Looks delicious.
“在家”预告清单?
The advance “at home” listing?
嗯,你忘记做餐饮”谁是谁”清单…
Well, you’ve forgotten the catering “who’s who” lists…
那是跟这个一起的
That was to accompany this.
抽空做些你的”有益提示”
And you’ve had time to do your little helpful hints.
本周谁帮谁?
Who’s helping who this week?
你是说我关于英国妇女
You mean my report on British women
在前线协助的报告吗?
assisting at the front.
嗯,你的报告,是的…
Well, your report, yes…
由杰克·加里森执笔
Penned by Jack Garrison.
你说什么?
I beg your pardon?
你认识杰克·加里森,不是吗?
You do know Jack Garrison, don’t you?
好吧,是我把杰克介绍给基根的,亲爱的
Well, I introduced Jack to Keegan, darling.
很抱歉我的专栏文章登上了头版…
I’m sorry about my column ending up on the front page…
如果这让你不高兴的话
If that’s what’s upsetting you.
一句忠告
A word of advice.
不管杰克给你提供什么信息
Whatever information Jack is feeding you for that
你都应该把那个打瞌睡的小专栏烧掉
sleepy little column should be burned.
杰克会给我什么信息?
What information would Jack be feeding me?
我已经好几个星期没有他的消息了
I haven’t heard from him in weeks.
你让杰克知道
You let Jack know
基根一直在兜售他的密♥码♥
that Keegan has been selling his secret codes
几个月来一直在向外国人出♥售♥
to foreign hands for months.
嗯,恐怕我不知道你在说什么
Um, I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about.
请原谅
Excuse me.
她认为你把我的专栏放在头版
She thinks you put my column on the front page
让杰克可以通过我提供密♥码♥和信息
so Jack can feed secret codes and information through me.
哦,这一切似乎很荒谬
Oh, it all seems rather preposterous.
你认为他是间谍吗?
Do you think he’s a spy?
我…我不知道
I…I wouldn’t know.
莫德的想象力有点夸张了
Maude has a rather overwrought
她是那种典型的美国人
imagination — she’s typically American in that way.
她可能会说些什么
She might say anything to pretend
让人觉得她在杰克的圈子里
that she was in Jack’s circle.
真可悲
It’s very sad.
她应该坚持做她最擅长的事
She should stick to what she does best.
她有这么强的追随者
She has such a strong following.
但对某些人来说,别人的草总是更绿些
But for some people, the other man’s grass is always greener.
非常感谢你来看我
Thank you so much for coming to see me.
哦,布莱斯夫人
Oh, Mrs. Blythe,
你考虑过公开演讲吗?
have you ever considered public speaking?
我必须出席一个当地的
I must attend a local
救世军募捐活动
salvation army fundraiser.
你的专栏吸引了那么多人注意
Your column has attracted so much
我相信
attention, I’m sure that they’d
他们宁愿听你说,也不愿听我说
rather hear you than me.
我很荣幸,基根先生
I’d be honored, Mr. Keegan.
哦,顺便问一句
Oh, by the way, how is Jack’s
杰克的小男孩还好吧?
little boy — I should think Jack