发生什么事,吉尔?
What happened, Gil?
婴儿死了
Lost the baby.
跟你说句话,孩子
A word with you, lad.
如果你们要共度一生,请习惯这个
Get used to this, if you’re to spend your lives together.
那个女人来的太晚了
The woman came to us too late.
她应该住院的
She should have been hospitalized
早在一周之前
a week ago.
失陪一下
Excuse us.
这是你作为外科医生应该明白的一部分
This is part of your lot as a surgeon.
有些人你救得起,而有些人…
There’s some you can afford to save and some who…
这是一家大医院
This is a large institution.
你就像我30年前的样子,吉尔
You’re what I was 30 years ago, Gil.
想想吧
Think…
想想你拥有的潜力,你应该拯救的生命
Think of the potential you have, the lives you should save.
嗯?
Huh?
哦,带他回家吧,女人
Oh, take him home, woman.
给他一杯烈性威士忌
Give him a good stiff drink of whiskey.
我觉得我们一直在兜圈子
I feel like we’ve been walking in circles.
你不能指望这里的生活是正常的,安妮
You can’t expect life to be normal here, Anne.
我答应来的时候就知道了
I knew that when I agreed to come.
这就是为什么我要你答应我
That’s why I wanted you to promise me
总有一天我们要回家
that someday we’d go home
去建设我们的家园
to raise our family.
我实在走不动了
I don’t think I can walk any more
如果不吃点东西的话,吉尔
without something to eat, Gil.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我带你去某处
How be I take you
吃顿大餐怎么样?
for a fine meal somewhere?
面包夹香肠就不错
A wiener in a bun would be fine.
你知道吗,我忘了问你
You know, I forgot to ask you how
今天上午的事怎么样了
things went for you this morning.
两个,拜托
Two, please.
嗯嗯
Mm-hmm.
他们…他们给了我一个重要的编辑职位
They…They offered me an important editorial position.
鲍威尔医生向我保证,他们有兴趣出版…
Doc. Powell assured me that they were interested in publishing–
你的好了,先生
there you go, sir.
可以给我两个吗?
Could I have two for me?
好的,女士
Yes, ma’am.
你必须继续自己的写作
You’ve got to continue your own writing,
不为别人工作是很重要的
not working on someone else is material.
没事的
It’s all right.
我真的想要这份工作
I really want this job.
我打算让温菲尔德出版我的一本书
I intend to have Winfield publish a book of mine
如果这是我做的最后一件事
if it’s the last thing I do.
永远永远
Forever and forever.
始终永远
Always forever.
直到永远
Now and forever.
永无止境,安妮·布莱斯著
Forever into eternity, by Anne Blythe.
安妮·雪莉著
By Anne Shirley.
永无止境
Forever into eternity.
用这样平淡无奇的标题会让自己倒霉的
You’ll jinx yourself with insipid titles like that,
雪莉小姐
miss Shirley.
别不好意思
Don’t be embarrassed.
这栋楼里有一半的人在写书
Half the people in this building are writing books
用他们的午餐时间
on their lunch hour.
你是…
You are…
你是不是…
Aren’t you…
杰克·加里森
Jack Garrison.
很,唔,很高兴见到你,嗯…
It’s, uh, it’s a pleasure to meet you, um…
欧文先生提到的都是你最新的手稿
All Mr. Owen ever talks about is your latest manuscript.
在他看来,那是一个真正引人入胜的故事
A real page Turner according to him.
这是一种说法而已
That’s one way of putting it, seeing he hasn’t
因为他还没看过
even seen it yet.
请你把这份材料转交给欧文先生好吗?
Will you pass this material on to Mr. Owen?
这是我新书的故事大纲
It’s the story outline of my latest book,
遵照我的合同条款
according to the terms of my contract.
没问题
Certainly.
我的律师会在我下一稿之前跟进
My lawyer will follow up before my next draft.
趁我还有一点时间
You know I have a few moments.
为什么你不告诉我你的故事呢?
Why don’t you tell me about your story?
也许我能帮你想出一个像样的标题
Maybe I can help you come up with a decent title.
好吧,嗯…
Well, um…
我还没有写完
I haven’t finished it yet.
我是希望,如果我能有一个真正动人心弦的标题
I was hoping, if I came up with a really gripping title,
可能会启发更多的构思
it might twig further ideas.
哦,不,不,不,你会弄得杂乱无章的
Oh, no, no, no, you’re going about it all topsy-turvy.
你绝对要从一个明确的前设
You must absolutely always start with a firm premise
和一个固定的结尾开始
and a solid ending.
好吧…实际上,我有这么做
Well….Actually, I do have that.
这是一位年轻教师的故事
It’s the story of a young teacher.
一个传教士…背景设定在喜马拉雅山脉…
A missionary — set in the himalayas —
她征服了一位英国上校的心
who tames the heart of a British colonel.
哦,对不起
Oh, please.
我不是想笑
I don’t mean to laugh, but you got
但你的三明治里有更好的火腿
better ham in your sandwich.
好吧,我一直在读你所有的作品
Well, I’ve been reading all of your works.
他们告诉我,他们要给你找女用书靠
They tell me they want to find the female bookend to you.
我还被所有文学圈宣判为非法入侵者呢
And I’m also condemned as a hack in any literary circle.
如果你要听我的意见
Aim much higher creatively, if you want
那就创造性地追求更高的目标,雪莉小姐
my opinion, miss Shirley.
加里森先生的父亲去世前
Mr. Garrison’s father was the top writer
是本公♥司♥多年来最优秀的作家,雪莉小姐
in the firm for years before he died, miss Shirley.
幸运的是,年轻的加里森先生
Luckily, young Mr. Garrison here has
继承了他父亲的成功
followed his father’s success.
不,真正的成功要靠激♥情♥和远见
No, true success requires passion and a vision,
不仅仅是美元和美分,欧文先生
not just dollars and cents, Mr. Owen.
尽管很愉快,雪莉小姐
Delightful as it has been, miss Shirley, I do hope
我真的希望我们能再次讨论
we get to do this again.
再见
Good day.
再见
Good day.
好运
Good luck.
这是故事大纲…
This is the story outline…
遵照他的合同条款
According to the terms of
他说,你很快就会收到
his contract — he said you’ll hear
他的律师的信
from his lawyer shortly.
是的,我相信我会收到
Yes, I’m sure that I will.
谢谢
Thank you.
为什么拉着脸啊,雪莉小姐?
Why the long face, miss Shirley?
啊,真令人沮丧
Ah, this is very frustrating.
昨天不知道把东西放哪了
I misplaced something yesterday.
真的没事
It’s nothing really.
好吧,你最好笑一笑
Well, you’d better put a smile on.
温菲尔德先生要你马上去他的办公室
Mr. Winfield wants you up in his office immediately.
我马上就来
I’ll be along in a minute.
啧啧…
Jeez…
显而易见,杰克·加里森
Apparently Jack Garrison has taken
很喜欢你,雪莉小姐
quite a liking to you, miss Shirley.
别问我他现在在做什么蠢事
Don’t ask me what sort of antics he’s up to now,
但显而易见,他的律师要求你
but apparently his lawyer has requested that you,
并且只能是你,担任他的新书的编辑
and only you, act as his editor for his new book.
因此我们希望你阅读一下这份材料
So we’d like you to read the material
然后会见他讨论一下,嗯?
and then meet with him to discuss it, hmm?
除了我自己的书,我从来没编辑过别人的书
I’ve never edited anyone’s book other than my own.
难道没有更有经验的人吗?
Isn’t there someone with more experience?
没有,真的没有
No, not really.
另外,这些材料是不能出版的
Besides, the material’s unpublishable,
至少在本公♥司♥
at least by this firm.
因此我们要你会见他,逗乐他
So we want you to meet with him, humour him,
但无论如何,要毫不含糊地向他说清楚
but by all means, make clear to him in no uncertain terms
除非他准备给我们一个新的冒险故事
that unless he’s prepared to deliver us a new adventure plot

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!