图书销♥售♥处于可恨的低迷状态
Book sales are in a detestable slump.
出版社的开销极为棘手
The overhead of this organization is a can of worms.
这是欧文先生
This is Mr. Owen
负责我们的
in charge of our
小说部
fiction department.
好吧,非常感谢你们抽出时间
Well, thank you both so much for taking the time
会见我…
to meet with me…
应该感谢鲍威尔医生
thank Dr. Powell.
他从我身上切掉一个肿瘤
He cut a tumor out of me once,
从而延长了我不幸的存在
thereby prolonging my unfortunate existence.
也许我们应该开始进行
Perhaps we should get down to
简短的讨论了,嗯,雪莉小姐?
the short strokes, hmm, miss Shirley?
我们阅读了鲍威尔医生交来的手稿
We read the manuscript Dr. Powell submitted.
活泼而迷人,我想
Lively and engaging, I suppose.
是的,呃,作为一个作家,你要有些承诺…
Yes, uh, you have some promise as a writer…
但不是在这
But not here.
我是做生意的,不是慈善机构
I run a business, not a charity.
我们从来没有为年轻女性发表过故事
We’ve never published stories for young women.
我们的专长是出版冒险,侦探小说以及
Our specialty is adventure, detective novels and all manner,
所有针对男人的阳刚的书
of books for a man’s man.
然而,随着战争的进行
However, since men are not buying
男人不再买♥♥那么多书了
so many books now with the war on,
我们真的很想开♥发♥女性冒险题材…
we really would like to develop women’s adventures…
多年来一直想…
wanted to for years —
我们需要有人去捕捉
we need someone
那些对妇女有吸引力的
to apprehend writers and stories
作家和故事
that will appeal to women.
我可以向你保证,我能嗅出一本好书
I can guarantee your I can smell a good book
在我打开封面之前
before I even open the cover.
是的,好吧,现在
Yes, well now,
欧文先生准备把你培养成
Mr. Owen is prepared to train you
一名初级编辑
in the position of a junior editor.
然而,寻找材料的过程是非常主观的
The process of finding material, however, is very subjective.
噢,我能找到女人想看的作家
Oh, I can find writers that women will want to read,
只要不妨碍我
as long as it doesn’t preclude me
把自己的手稿交上去
from submitting my own manuscripts amongst them.
嗯,雪莉小姐,它们必须符合我们的条件
Well, miss Shirley, they would have to meet our criteria.
那是什么?
And what is that?
我从不出版我不喜欢的东西
I’ve never published anything I didn’t like.
这让我受益了40年
That’s served me well for 40 years.
你会喜欢我的发现的,先生
Oh, you’ll like what I find, sir,
只要你对我有信心
as much as you’ll grow to have faith in me.
我去找个小角落让雪莉小姐工作,先生
I’ll find a small corner for miss Shirley to work in, sir.
跟我来,雪莉小姐
Come along, miss Shirley.
那里应该有张桌子
There ought to be a desk,
在这些东西下面的某个地方
underneath all of that somewhere.
我们的市场调研部会找到你的名单
Our research department will find you lists.
尽你所能
Do what you can.
我的办公室就在那里
My office is right there.
雪莉小姐…拜托
Miss Shirley…Please.
哦,对不起,我只是被这一切吸引了
Oh, I’m sorry, I was just taking it all in.
好吧,这是美国最神秘的演说家
Well, that is a portrait
小杰克·加里森的肖像
of Jack Garrison Jr., America’s top mystery raconteur.
他的间谍小说保证有50万册的销量
A half million copies of his espionage novels guaranteed
在他动笔之前
before he puts pen to paper.
现在,你必须找到可以为女人写作的男人
Now, you’ll have to find men who can write that way for women
否则你就是在浪费时间
or you’ll be wasting your time.
欧文先生,我很少浪费我的时间
Mr. Owen, I rarely waste my time.
另外,如果我认为只有男人可以为女人写作
Besides, if I thought only men could write for women,
我可能找不到任何有趣的东西
I might not find anything interesting.
嗯,是的,好吧,我应该提一句
Hmm, yes, well, I should mention to you
我们从来不出版女性作家的作品…
that we have never published a female author…
永远
Ever.
该死
Oh, blast.
请允许我,医生
Allow me, doctor.
啊,好的
Ah, all right.
做完,吉尔
Finish up, Gil.
我希望你半小时后参加董事会会议
I want you in the board meeting in half an hour.
当然,鉴于我日益衰老的视力
Certainly, I no longer have the fortitude to continue to serve
我再也没有勇气继续为这家医院服务了
this institution, in light of my deteriorating eyesight.

Ah.
这个年轻人是他们班上最好的外科医生
This young fellow is the foremost surgeon in his class,
而且我想补充说,他在整个医院中也是最好的外科医生
and I might add, in the entire institution.
他已经被要求留任到今年年底
He’s been asked to stay on till the end of the year,
但是,他有能力和毅力承担我的职责
but he has the talent and the stamina to assume my duties
成为管理部门的永久成员…
as a permanent member of the administration…
就在这个月内
Within the month.
先生,我很荣幸
Sir, I am very flattered.
我宁愿你没有提出这个建议
I just wish you hadn’t launched this,
事先不和我商量
without discussing it with me first.
我需要知道董事会的立场
I needed to know where the board stood.
你知道的,我不能再做手术了,孩子
I can’t operate any more, you know, lad.
青光眼的预后非常糟糕
The prognosis for glaucoma is abysmal.
你要挺身而出
You’ll want to rise to the occasion
追随我的脚步
and follow in my footsteps.
布莱斯医生,布莱斯医生
Dr. Blythe, Dr. Blythe.
不知道你是否还记得我的妻子
I don’t know if you remember my wife.
我们已经等了八个小时了
We’ve been waiting eight hours
没人来看我们
for anyone to see us.
住院护士会帮你的
The admitting nurse should assist you.
特维德太太,你的孩子还没出生吗?
Mrs. Tweed, has your baby not turned?
我觉得有点不对劲
I feel something’s not right.
OK,来,咱们坐下
Ok, come on, let’s sit down.
妈妈,也许你要生了
Mom, maybe you should walk.
宫缩很快吗?
Are you having rapid contractions?
你没事儿吧?
Are you ok?
坎宁安太太,这个女人要分娩了
Mrs. Cunningham, this woman is in labour.
让她马上入院
See that she be admitted immediately.
她可能需要动手术
She may require surgery.
你不必亲自操心
You needn’t concern yourself
这个贫穷的病例
with indigent cases — let me
让我和产科的摩尔医生谈谈
speak to Dr. Moore in obstetrics.
哦,我会跟摩尔谈的
Oh, I can speak to Moore.
但是,先生,我有义务给这个病人做检查
But, sir, I am obligated to this patient
因为一周前我在门诊给她做过检查
by virtue of having examined her in the clinic a week ago,
当时我就要求她
at which time I requested that
住进医院
she be admitted into the hospital.
分娩可能只是一个微不足道的裂口
The delivery may be a footling breach.
如果她继续长时间劳动,她可能会失去孩子
If she continues in labour any longer, she may lose the child.
选择你使用手术刀的地方
Choose where you use your scalpel.
记住,今天下午我们已经安排了汉密尔顿夫人
Remember, we’ve scheduled Mrs. Hamilton this afternoon.
你刚见过她丈夫
You just met her husband,
在董事会上
on the board.
我不能让她的病情无人监管
I can’t let her condition go unsupervised.
我们可以重新安排
We can reschedule
汉密尔顿夫人的胆囊手术
Mrs. Hamilton’s gall bladder operation.
请原谅
Excuse me.
布莱斯医生?
Dr. Blythe?
哦,他不能被打扰
Oh, he can’t be disturbed.
请在等候区坐一下,女士
Please take a seat in the waiting area, ma’am.
特维德先生…
Mr. Tweed…
你妻子情况稳定
Your wife is in stable condition,
但婴儿的脐带出了问题
but there was a problem with the baby’s cord.
我们已经尽力了,恐怕已经太迟
We did everything we could, but I’m afraid it was too late.
太迟?…我们等了又等
Too late — we waited and waited.
我很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
你这个粗心的…
You heedless…
把这个男人带到街上去
Take this man out onto the street.
来吧,来,你们三个
Come, come you three.
你还自称医生!
You call yourself doctors!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!