米奇 我要是你
Mitch, I wouldn’t sit
我不会太喜欢坐那把椅子
in that chair too much.
它会把人的脑瓜颠松的
It could shake a fellow’s brains loose.
我们回头再见
I’ll see you later.
他记得你 保罗 他喜欢你
He remembers you, Paul. He likes you.
他喜欢我冰箱里的啤酒
He likes the beer in my icebox.
今天这身行头又有何贵干呢?
What’s the occasion today.
要去猎杀野牛?
A buffalo hunt?
这些都是在亚利桑那时买♥♥的
I bought these in Arizona when
我们曾在那儿驻防
we were stationed there.
穿着潇洒吗? 我觉着穿着很潇洒
Aren’t they smart? I think they’re very smart.
这儿 坐到我车里去
Here, we can sit in my car.
给你
Here you are.
到后面去 毛毛
Here you go, Muff.
我又想起了几件事
Several things have occurred to me.
那些 呃…
The, uh…
那些被巴尼·奎尔撕烂的内衣…
The undergarments Barney Quill tore off…
现在在哪儿? 在警♥察♥那儿?
Who has them now? The police?
你是说我的内♥裤♥吗?
You mean my panties?
好吧 你的内♥裤♥呢?
All right. Your panties.
后来我也没再见到过
I haven’t seen them since.
我把撕烂的裙子和运动衫交给了警♥察♥
I gave the torn skirt and sweater to the police,
然后…
and then…
和他们一道 回到那条深入林子的小径
I went with them up that lane into
去寻找我的内♥裤♥
the woods to look for the panties…
但是我们什么也没找到 除了我的眼镜
but we couldn’t find anything but my glasses.
你的眼镜? 你是说发生这一切的时候
Your glasses? You mean you were wearing glasses
你一直戴着眼镜?
through all that?
不 眼镜在盒子里 我拿在手上
No, I had them in a case in my hand.
我阅读时戴
I wear them for reading,
还有玩弹球机之类的也戴着
playing pinball, things like that.
我想是在挣扎着下车时丢掉的
I must have tried to get out of the car and dropped them.
你可能有兴趣知道…
You might be interested to know…
你的测谎结果对你有利
that your lie detector test turned out in your favor.
当然对我有利
Of course it did.
我早该告诉你会是这样的结果
I could’ve told you it would.
-你一点都不担心吗? -不担心
-You weren’t worried about it? -No.
我为什么要担心?
Why should I be?
你想不想担心什么事情呢?
Would you like to have something to worry about?
问得真可笑
Silly.
譬如说你丈夫正透过
Like your husband watching us
他牢房♥的窗户望着我们?
from his cell window?
好了
All right.
好了 看到就看到了吧
All right, let’s have it.
-他向你说什么了吗? -说了很多
-Did he say something to you? -Just enough.
-你怕他吗? -是的
-Are you afraid of him? -Yes.
这就是为什么你自愿接受
Is that why you volunteered for
测谎仪的测试吗? 为了给他看?
a lie detector test? For him?
-是的 -他有妒忌的理由吗?
-Yeah. -Does he have reason to be jealous?
在我们结婚之前 他就经常妒忌
He was jealous even before we were married.
我应该早就料到会变成这样的
I should’ve known how it would be.
有意思的是 他还喜欢拿我炫耀
It’s funny, though. He likes to show me off.
他喜欢我打扮得漂漂亮亮
He likes me to dress the way I do.
可是要是男人的目光都集中到我身上
And then he gets furious if
他又会变得很愤怒
a man pays any attention to me.
我曾想过要离开他 但是我做不到
I’ve tried to leave him, but I can’t.
他一乞求 我就让步了
He begs, I give in.
好了 如果你以为我忘了 刚才的提问
Now, if you think I’ve forgotten my question,
我没有忘
I haven’t.
-可我忘了 -好吧
-I have. -All right.
那我再问一遍:
Then I’ll ask it again.
你丈夫有没有嫉妒的任何理由呢?
Does your husband have any reason to be jealous?
没有
No.
一次也没有 从来没有
Not once. Not ever.
“雷鸣湾旅店”
上半岛”密歇根”手♥枪♥比武赛”
“巴尼·奎尔赢得
“通向大厅”
嗨 喜欢这地方 是吗?
Hi. Like the place all right?
我正在看这些照片
I was just looking at these pictures.
那是巴尼·奎尔 是吗?
That was Barney Quill, wasn’t it?
是的 巴尼·奎尔
That’s right. Barney Quill.
我是保罗·比格勒 我是…
I’m Paul Biegler. I’m…
我知道你是谁
I know who you are.
我在铁城见过你
I’ve seen you around Iron City.
你还没告诉我你的名字
You didn’t tell me your name.
帕盖特 我们5点才开门
Paquette. We don’t open till 5:00.
没关系 我可以等
That’s all right. I can wait.
我还没发疟疾
I don’t have the shakes yet.
那天晚上你在这儿干活 对吗?
You were on the job that night, weren’t you…
巴尼·奎尔被杀的那个晚上
the night Barney Quill was killed.
就像报上登的那样 我在场
Like the newspaper said, I was present.
你是那个在外面阻止曼尼昂中尉的人
You were the fellow who stopped Lt. Manion outside.
是的
That’s right.
他用枪指着我说
He pointed the gun at me and said,
“你也想吃几颗吗 小子? ”
“You want some too, buster?”
你回答说”不”
And you said no,
因为你的名字不叫”小子”
because your name isn’t buster.
那有什么可笑的吗 比格勒先生?
Wasn’t anything funny about it.
不 我不是这个意思 对不起
No, there wasn’t. I’m sorry.
当巴尼·奎尔被杀时
Where were you when
你在哪儿 帕盖特先生?
Barney Quill was killed, Mr. Paquette?
我想你不愿意聊那天晚上的事 是吗?
I gather you don’t want to talk about that night, huh?
没错 我不想再谈起它
That’s right. I don’t want to talk about it.
但是在法庭上你还是得跟我谈
You’ll have to talk to me about it in court.
为什么不现在就谈谈呢?
Why not now?
因为我现在可以不谈
‘Cause I don’t have to now.
这个理由够充分吗?
Reason enough, okay?
那好吧
Okay.
天哪 这个老巴尼看上去
Boy, old Barney, he was kind of
像是个蛮主 是吗?
a rugged character, wasn’t he?
曾是职业拳击手
Ex-prizefighter,
满身肌肉 喜欢玩枪 还有…
muscle man, fancy with guns, and…
他付清了债务 开了这家清白的旅店
He paid his debts. Ran a clean place.
对我来说 我喜欢他
Me, I liked him.
这地方现在归你啦?
You run the place now?
不 我只是在这儿干活
No, I just work here.
现在由玛丽掌管
Mary’s running things.
玛丽? 她是巴尼的妻子吗?
Mary? Was that Barney’s wife?
不 他没有妻子 玛丽帮他经营
No, he didn’t have a wife. Mary was his manager.
噢 是吗 我想知道谁继承了这地方
Oh. All right. I wonder who’s gonna inherit the place?
-我想是玛丽吧 -嗯 又是玛丽
-Mary, I guess. -Mary again.
那有什么不对劲吗?
What’s the matter with that?
你的意思是玛丽有什么不对劲吗?
You mean, what’s the matter with Mary?
我可不知道玛丽有什么不对劲
I don’t know what’s the matter with her.
她叫玛丽什么?
Mary what?
皮兰特 玛丽·皮兰特
Pilant. Mary Pilant.
她就在后面的小间里
She’s in the back booth.
我们不应该在这里聊我们的顾客
We don’t talk about our customers here.
但是我们要聊的话 我们不聊…
But if we did… which we don’t…
那就是她 她就是玛丽·皮兰特
That’s her. That’s Mary Pilant.
你认识曼尼昂中尉的妻子吗?
Do you know Lt. Manion’s wife?
当然认识 我也认识中尉本人
Sure. I know the lieutenant too.
他是个好的长官 她人也不错
He’s a good officer. She’s all right too.
很友善 好孩子
Friendly. Good kid.
你知道什么? 住嘴!
What do you know about it? Knock it off.
我又没说什么 她是个迷人的女子
I didn’t mean anything. She’s a dish.
这样说有什么不对吗?
What’s the matter with that?
你想给这位律师留下错误的印象吗?
Do you want this lawyer to get wrong ideas?
中尉会有多少机会呢 麦卡锡先生?
What chance has the lieutenant got, Mr. McCarthy?
我要说机会很大 如果有多几个
Pretty good, I’d say,
你这样的了解他的证人的话
with a couple of character witnesses like you.