Oh, well, that’s more like it.
听着 要是我接了这个案子
Now, if I take the case,
我想你也加入进来
I want you in it.
我? 加入一起凶杀大案?
Me, in a big murder case?
噢 保利 让这样一个泡在威士忌里的
The sight of this whisky-drinking man
酒鬼插手案子 会毁了你的
at the lawyer’s table would ruin you.
我需要你
I need you.
你真心的吗?
You mean that?
他不真心就不会邀请你了
Why else would he say it?
我很高兴在庭外
I’d be glad to work with you
和你一起工作 但是…
outside of the courtroom, but…
-不能在法庭内 -随你的便
-not in the courtroom. -Suit yourself about that.
不管怎样 我都指望着依靠你了
Either way, I’m gonna have to be able to depend on you.
你会把酒戒了吗?
Will you lay off the booze?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我不知道能否做到 保利
I don’t know about that, Paulie.
你为什么不知道?
Why don’t you know?
你认为我戒不了酒?
Do you think I couldn’t lay off the booze?
试过没有?
Ever tried it?
试试看
Try it.
我从未接触过谋杀大案
I never been on a big murder case.
这辈子没碰到过一次
Not once in all my life.
全看你的了 帕内尔
It’s up to you, Parn.
今晚你会过来吗?
Will you be around tonight?
是的 是的 我会过来
Yeah. Yeah, I’ll be around.
你知道 梅达 亲爱的
You know, Maida, darling…
我做得到
I might manage it.
我又会成为一个货真价实的律师
I might manage to be a real lawyer again.
至少先做一阵子再说
For a little while, anyway.
我努力回想着
I tried remembering.
但仍有些细节我记不起来了
There were still some pieces missing.
我记得…
I remember…
我拿着枪去了奎尔的酒吧
going to Quill’s bar with a gun…
我记得吧台后面奎尔的那张脸
and I remember Quill’s face behind the bar…
但是其它的事情我就记不起来了
but I don’t remember anything else,
甚至都不知道怎样回的家
not even going home.
你不记得怎样开的枪吗?
Don’t you remember firing the gun?
打了五枪 那么大噪音可很难忘啊
Five shots, that’s a lot of noise to forget.
是的 我记得听见了枪声
Yeah, I remember hearing shots,
但是那好像跟我没有关系似的
but they don’t seem connected with me.
它们听上去很遥远
They seemed far away,
像是另外一个人开的枪
like somebody else was doing the shooting.
曼尼昂中尉 我决定接手你的案子
Lt. Manion, I’ll take your case.
噢 谢谢 谢谢你 比格勒先生
Oh, thanks. Thanks, Mr. Biegler.
好的 那么现在我们来聊聊费用问题
All right. Now, there’s the little matter of the fee.
三千美元 还是相当公道的吧 是吗?
Three thousand dollars. That’s reasonable enough, isn’t it?
噢 没问题 非常公道
Oh, sure. More than reasonable.
但是我得 以后再付给你 现在我一文不名
I’ll have to pay later. Right now I’m broke.
你什么?
You’re what?
我身无分文 一无所有
I’m broke. I’m flat busted.
别说三千美元
I don’t have three dollars,
就是三个美元我也拿不出来
much less 3,000.
你可以筹集一点吗?
Can you raise it?
噢 可以的 一旦我出了监狱
Oh, yes, as soon as I get out of jail.
下个星期的发薪日
But next week’s payday.
我可以先付你150美元
I’ll be able to give you $150…
如果你能把我弄出去
and if you get me off,
我会给你打个剩余款项的期票
I’ll give you a promissory note for the rest.
好吧 你知道要是我先得不到
All right, now suppose I don’t go along
一半费用的话 我就会撒手不管了?
with you unless you pay me half the fee?
呃 那我就去找法庭指定的律师好了
Well, I’ll have to take a lawyer the court appoints.
我有了辩护借口 对吗? 精神错乱
I got my defense now, right? Insanity.
我想我先四处想想办法
I think I’ll stick around,
把你保出去再说
make damn sure you get off.
该如何做呢?
Where do we start?
我们需要个精神病专家
We’re going to need a psychiatrist.
你我都没什么钱
Neither of us has any money.
你认为军队会帮你一把吗?
Do you think the army’ll stir one up for you?
我认识个五角大楼的上校
I know a colonel in the Pentagon.
我给他写封信
I’ll write a letter.
很好 马上写 苏罗!
Good. Do that. Sulo.
你现在去哪儿?
Where are you going now?
我现在先去见你的妻子
I’m going to see your wife, for one thing.
怎么? 你昨天不是见过她了吗?
Why? Didn’t you see her yesterday?
没错 见过
That’s right. I did.
她是个漂亮女人 你的妻子
She’s a very pretty woman, your wife.
时间长了当丈夫的也会熟视无睹
A man gets used to the way his wife looks.
我想是的 回头见
I guess he does. I’ll see you.
“检察官”
请进! 保利 请进来!
Come on in, Paulie. Come on in.
自从你从这儿搬出去以后
You haven’t been in here
就没回来过 不是吗?
since you vacated, have you?
老地方都认不出来了吧 嗯?
Hardly recognize the old place, huh?
玛丽帮我装♥修♥的
Mary did it for me.
她刚好学完她的室内装饰课
She just finished her decorators’ course.
聪明的姑娘 非常聪明的姑娘
Smart girl. Very smart girl.
瞧瞧这个
Look at this.
根据毕加索真迹印刷的画
A real, genuine Picasso print.
噢 真不错
That’s very nice.
这个 试试这把椅子 你动都不用动
And here. Try this chair. It sort of does things for you.
坐下去
Sit right down.
感觉很棒 是吗?
Great, isn’t it?
他们说对神经有好处
Good for the nerves, they say.
-怎么把它关掉? -这儿
-How do you shut it off? -Here.
起来吧 感觉爽多啦?
Here we are. Feel better?
感觉快被震散了
I feel all shook up.
米奇 我来是为了跟你打个招呼
Mitch, I just dropped in to tell you
我现在全权接手了曼尼昂的案子
I’ve got both feet in the Manion case.
-你会让他认罪宽刑 是吗? -不
-You’re going to cop out, aren’t you? -No.
那你可犯错了 保罗
That’s a mistake.
一开庭就会结案的
It’s open and shut.
唔 也许吧 我们走着瞧好了
Well, maybe. We’ll see.
梅特兰法官还在医院里
Judge Maitland’s still in the hospital.
也许你也同意…
Maybe you’d like to agree…
延期开庭等他回来
to a continuance until he gets back.
如果现在就审理这个案子
If we go with the case now,
上面就会胡乱指派个法官
we’ll have to try before…
我们就不得不由他来主持庭审
some grab-bag judge they’ll send in.
就我而言 我希望是梅特兰法官
Me, I’d rather have Maitland.
是的 我也是
So would I.
但是那也意味着在开庭之前
But that’d also mean my client
我的委托人得在监狱里…
would lie around in jail…
再耗上两到三个月
for another two, three months before the trial.
因此 要是你能收回谋杀指控
Now, if you’ll drop
改成一般杀人指控
the charge down to manslaughter…
那么我就可以将他保释出来
so I can get him out on bail,
否则的话我不同意延期审理
we’ll agree to a continuance.
如果你仍然是地方检察官
You wouldn’t do that
你不会这样做吧
if you were still D.A.
我不知道 也许会
I don’t know. I might.
我会的 因为那台万能的测谎仪
I might, since a big,
对他妻子进行了测试
fat lie detector test on his wife…
结果证实了强♥奸♥的说法
is giving proof to the rape story.
陪审团会站在他一边的
He’d have the jury with him.
你怎么知道测谎仪的结…
How did you know what the lie…
你诈我的 是吗?
I bit, didn’t I?
是的 你上当了
Yeah, you did.
不管怎么说 测谎仪的测试结果
Anyway, the result of a lie detector test
是不能作为可接受的证据的
isn’t admissible evidence.
你不能用它
You can’t use it.
是不能用 但是它具有道德上的分量
No, but it carries moral weight.