我的工作之一就是在衣服洗完烘干之后
Part of my job is to sort various pieces of laundry…
将送洗的衣服分类整好
as they come out of the wash-and-dry machine.
你能不能告诉法庭
Would you tell the court
在奎尔先生被杀后的第二天
what you found among those pieces of laundry…
你在这些衣服里面发现了什么?
the day after Mr. Quill was killed?
我发现了一条女人的内♥裤♥
I found a pair of women’s panties.
你把内♥裤♥怎么样了?
And what did you do with them?
我把它扔到了破衣箱里
I threw them in the rag bin.
你什么时候意识到这条内♥裤♥的重要性的?
When did you learn the significance of those panties?
这儿 今天上午 在法庭里
Here. This morning, in the courtroom.
然后你就回家把它从破衣箱里取了出来?
And then you went home and got them out of the rag bin?
是的
Yes.
你把它带来了吗?
Did you bring them with you?
是的
Yes.
我提供这件女性内衣…
I offer this article of lingerie…
作为辩方的一号♥呈堂证物
as Exhibit Number One for the defense.
它是白色的 边上有花边
They’re white, they have lace up the side…
被严重撕坏
and they’re badly torn…
像是被一双有力的大手扯烂的
as if they’ve been ripped apart by powerful hands.
标签上印着…
The label reads…
“亚利桑那凤♥凰♥城时髦商店”
“Smart Shop, Phoenix, Arizona.”
如果没有反对 该物品将被接受为证物
If there is no objection, the exhibit will be received in evidence.
我问完了 皮兰特小姐
That’s all, Miss Pilant.
你曾和罗德威克先生交谈过…
Do you ever talk to Mr. Lodwick…
巴尼·奎尔之死吗?
about the death of Barney Quill?
是的 在奎尔先生被杀后
He came to the hotel several times after
他来过旅店几次
Mr. Quill was killed.
你是否告诉过罗德威克先生
Did you tell Mr. Lodwick
你不相信巴尼·奎尔强♥奸♥了曼尼昂夫人?
that you didn’t believe Barney Quill raped Mrs. Manion?
是的 我是这样告诉他的
Yes, I told him that.
皮兰特小姐你和被告律师比格勒先生谈过吗?
Did you ever talk to Mr. Biegler?
是的
Yes.
内容是否也和奎尔被杀有关?
Was this also in connection with the shooting of Quill?
是的
Yes.
你是否告诉过他你不相信
Did you tell him you didn’t believe
巴尼·奎尔强♥奸♥了曼尼昂夫人?
Barney Quill had raped Mrs. Manion?
是的
Yes.
-你和他谈过几次? -两次
-How many times did you talk to him? -Twice.
最后一次是什么时候?
When was the last time?
昨天晚上
Last night.
那么你现在改变主意啦?
And have you now changed your mind?
你现在相信…
Do you now believe…
巴尼·奎尔强♥奸♥过曼尼昂夫人?
Barney Quill raped Mrs. Manion?
我现在不知道 我想有可能吧
I don’t know now. I think he might have.
你什么时候改变的主意? 昨天晚上?
When did you change your mind? Last night?
不 是在这儿 今天上午
No, it was here, this morning.
什么时候给你的裤子?
When were you given the panties?
昨天晚上吗?
Was that last night?
不 且慢! 先且慢!
Just wait a minute!
用适当的形式反对 比格勒先生
Use the proper form of objection, Mr. Biegler.
转念一想 我不反对了
On second thought, I don’t object.
我想让陪审团听听她的回答
I’d like the jury to hear her answer.
-证人可以回答 -不
-The witness may answer. -No.
没人在昨天晚上
I was not given the panties last night
或任何其他时候给过我内♥裤♥
or at any other time.
我自己发现的就像我刚才说的那样
I found them exactly as I said.
你是事实上知道…
Do you know for a fact…
巴尼·奎尔把那条内♥裤♥丢进了滑道呢
that Barney Quill dropped the panties down the chute,
还只是你的推测?
or did you assume it?
我推测的
I assumed it.
你有没有想过有可能某个其他的人…
Had you thought maybe someone else…
把内♥裤♥放那儿的
might have put the panties there
一个想让内♥裤♥在洗衣房♥被发现的人?
who wanted them found in the laundry?
我还没那样想过
I hadn’t thought of that.
在比格勒先生的
And in the grip of what Mr. Biegler
所谓”无法抑制的冲动”的控制之下
might call irresistible impulse…
你气冲冲地拿着内♥裤♥跑到这儿
you rushed in here with the panties
目的是想拷问…
because you wanted to crucify…
已故的巴尼·奎尔的人格 是不是这样?
the dead Barney Quill, isn’t that true?
不 我想这是我的责任…
No, I thought it was my duty…
你的自尊心受到了伤害 是不是?
Your pride was hurt, wasn’t it?
我不明白你在说什么
I don’t know what you mean.
法官大人 他想把证人搞糊涂了
He’s trying to confuse the witness.
让他问她能理解的问题
Let him ask her a question she can understand.
是的 丹瑟先生
Yes, Mr. Dancer.
我自己也想知道你的用意所在
I myself would like to know what you’re driving at.
皮兰特小姐 当你发现了那条内♥裤♥
Miss Pilant, when you found the panties…
你的第一个念头是巴尼·奎尔
was your first thought that Barney Quill
可能强♥奸♥了曼尼昂夫人呢
might have raped Mrs. Manion…
还是他可能和曼尼昂夫人有了一腿?
or was it that he might have been stepping out with Mrs. Manion?
他什么意思 我不知道他什么意思
I don’t know what he means.
丹瑟先生 我再一次要求你
Mr. Dancer, once again I must ask you
问证人直接的问题
to put straight questions to the witness.
这个就是直接的问题 法官大人:
Here is a straight question, Your Honor.
皮兰特小姐 你是巴尼·奎尔的情人吗?
Miss Pilant, are you Barney Quill’s mistress?
不! 不 我不是!
No. No, I was not!
在雷鸣湾人人都知道你和奎尔住在一起
It’s common knowledge in Thunder Bay you were living with Quill.
这不是事实 巴尼·奎尔是…
That’s not true. Barney Quill was…
是什么 皮兰特小姐?
Was what, Miss Pilant?
巴尼·奎尔是什么 皮兰特小姐?
Barney Quill was what, Miss Pilant?
巴尼·奎尔是我的父亲
Barney Quill was my father.
没有问题了
No more questions.
我没有问题
That’s all for me.
证人可以退下了
The witness may step down.
现在休庭15分钟 随后
We will recess for 15 minutes, after which…
我们将聆听双方的总结陈词
we will hear the closing arguments.
如果有可能
If possible,
我希望陪审团在黄昏之前作出裁决
I would like to charge the jury before nightfall.
你想他们会一直弄到深夜吗?
Think they’re gonna stay out all night?
谁能不能说点什么?
Can’t somebody say something?
你想让我说什么 梅达 亲爱的?
What do you want me to say, Maida, darling?
跟我说我们会赢
Tell me we’re gonna win.
我还指望着拿到中尉的期票呢
I’m counting on getting that promissory note from the lieutenant.
我希望可以靠它先借点钱
I hope I can borrow some money on it.
我需要一台新的打字机
I need a new typewriter.
有一半时间
Half the time,
我的打字机打不出”第”和”事”
the “p” and the “f” don’t strike on mine.
“第一部分当事人”有时被打成…
“Party of the first part” sometimes comes out…
“一部分当人”
“arty of the irst art.”
根本没道理嘛 让人哭笑不得
Doesn’t make sense. It’s embarrassing.
“一部分当人”?
“Arty of the irst art”?
我有点喜欢这个
I kind of like that.
很有意味
Has a ring to it.
十二个人走进个房♥间
Twelve people go off into a room.
十二个不同的头脑 十二种不同的心情
Twelve different minds, twelve different hearts…
十二条不同的生活轨迹
and twelve different walks of life.
十二双眼睛和耳朵
Twelve sets of eyes, ears,
有不同的形状和大小
shapes and sizes.
这十二个人
And these twelve people…
被要求对另一个人作出判决
are asked to judge another human being…
这个人也完全不同于他们
as different from them as
就像他们之间互不相同
they are from each other.
而在他们判决时
And in their judgment,
他们必须变成一个头脑…
they must become of one mind.
一致同意
Unanimous.
这是人类混乱不堪的心灵
That’s one of the miracles of man’s disorganized soul
所能做到的奇迹之一
that they can do it.
而且在大多数情况下 做得不错
And most instances, do it right well.
上帝保佑陪审员们
God bless juries.
我不知道要是我在陪审团里
I don’t know what I’d do if

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!