来取悦地方检察官
to please the D.A.
我没捏造什么
I didn’t dream up nothin’.
你肯定那都是曼尼昂中尉说的?
You’re sure that’s what Manion said?
是的 我肯定
Yeah, I’m sure.
就像你对你的犯罪记录一样肯定?
As sure as you were about your record?
呃 那个我想我可能是有点搞错了
Well, I guess I kind of goofed on that one.
法官大人 我不想再问这人什么问题了
Your Honor, I don’t feel I can dignify…
这让我感到丢脸
this creature with any more questions.
把证人带走
Take the witness away.
比格勒先生
Would you like a conference
你想和你的委托人商议一下吗?
with your client?
我可以看出来上一个证人
I can see how the last
完全出乎你们的意料
witness was quite a surprise.
不用了 法官大人 我们不需要商议
No, Your Honor. We don’t need a conference.
我想现在再传曼尼昂中尉上证人席
I’ll recall Lt. Manion to the stand right now.
你听了这个米勒的证词
Now, you’ve heard the testimony of this Miller.
-有哪部分是事实吗? -没有
-Is any part of it true? -None.
中尉 你知道为什么他会跑到这儿来
Lieutenant, do you have any idea
编出个这样的故事吗?
why he might come here with a tale like that?
不知道 先生
No, sir.
你和这个人谈过话吗?
Have you ever talked with this man?
是的
Yes.
你们谈了什么?
What did you talk about?
没什么要紧的事
Nothing important.
肯定没有谈过我个人的生活或我的感觉
Certainly, nothing about my personal life or my feelings.
我想知道的就这些
That’s all I wanted to know.
曼尼昂中尉
Lt. Manion…
你和米勒之间有没有过…
have you ever had any sort of…
什么过节?
trouble with Miller?
我不知道 你什么意思?
I don’t know. What do you mean? An argument?
有没有争吵之类的事情?
Something like that?
你有没有攻击… 肢体上攻击过他?
Did you ever attack… physically attack him?
你的律师不可能替你回答这个问题
Your lawyer can’t answer the question for you,
中尉
Lieutenant.
你有没有肢体上攻击过米勒?
Did you ever physically attack Miller?
严格地说 那称不上是攻击
I wouldn’t call it an attack, exactly.
有一天我把他的头按到栏杆上过
I pushed his head against the bars one day.
为什么?
Why?
因为他说了我妻子的坏话
He said something ugly about my wife.
你还记得你按着他的头往栏杆上撞吗?
Do you remember pushing or bumping his head against the bars?
当然 我刚告诉过你
Sure. I just told you.
那么这不算是”习惯性分♥裂♥反应” 嗯?
Then this was not dissociative reaction.
被告没有资格回答这个问题
The defendant isn’t qualified to answer that.
-反对有效 -曼尼昂中尉
-Sustained. -Lt. Manion…
你对巴尼·奎尔所做的反应
wasn’t your action against Barney Quill much the same…
是不是和你对米勒
as your action against Miller
和对那个你在鸡尾酒会上…
and against the lieutenant…
打了的少尉 所做的反应相同呢?
that you struck at the cocktail party?
都是在盛怒之下产生了有意识的
All in the heat of anger with a willful,
蓄意的伤害或杀戮的欲望
conscious desire to hurt or kill?
我不记得我对奎尔所做的反应了
I don’t remember my action against Quill.
你知道你妻子和巴尼·奎尔是相好
How long had you known
有多长时间了?
that your wife was running around with Barney Quill?
我从不知道有这样的事情
I never knew anything like that.
我信任我妻子
I trust my wife.
我想你时不时地打她
I suppose you just beat her up occasionally
那只是为了找点乐子
for the fun of it.
没有道理允许问这样的问题
Nothing has been established to permit a question like that.
他总是在暗指什么却不明确观点
He keeps implying things without getting to the point.
就让他直接问中尉
Let him ask the lieutenant,
他有没有殴打过他妻子?
did he ever beat his wife?
我要说反对有效
I’ll sustain the objection.
你能重新表述一下你的问题吗
Would you like to rephrase your question,
丹瑟先生?
Mr. Dancer?
不用了 谢谢 法官大人
No thank you, Your Honor.
我问完了
I’ve finished.
那我来问好了 曼尼昂中尉
Then I’ll ask him.
你有没有…
Did you, Lt. Manion…
在发生枪击的那个晚上
ever beat your wife on the night of the shooting
或任何其它时候 殴打过你的妻子?
or any other time?
没有 先生
No, sir.
在你心里有没有一丝的疑问
Is there any doubt in your mind…
怀疑巴尼·奎尔强♥奸♥了你的妻子?
that Barney Quill raped Mrs. Manion?
-没有 先生 -就这些
-No, sir. -That’s all.
请退席 中尉
Step down, Lieutenant.
-大事不妙? -相当糟糕
-We hurt? -We’re hurt bad.
法官大人 我知道时间已经很紧
Your Honor, I know time is pressing.
所以我不想请求休庭
I don’t want to ask for a recess.
但是我想离开法庭一下 就一会儿
I would like to leave the courtroom for a moment.
如果那很重要的话
If it’s important,
我们可以给你一分钟
we can be at ease for a minute.
谢谢您 大人
Thank you, sir.
这太不合规矩了 法官大人
This is highly irregular, Your Honor.
没有理由据此整出个
There’s no reason to
联邦大案来”小题大做”
make a federal case out of it.
非常感谢 法官大人
Thank you very much, Your Honor.
我们现在有了另一位反驳证人
We now have another rebuttal witness.
辩方传玛丽·皮兰特出庭
The defense calls Mary Pilant to the stand.
法官大人 我们必须抗♥议♥这整个安排
We must protest this whole affair.
尊贵的辩方律师冲出去进行了秘密商议
The noble defense attorney rushes out to a secret conference…
而现在却在最后一刻
and now the last-minute witness is being
戏剧性地把证人带下了过道
brought dramatically down the aisle.
这整个事情很显然受到了操控
The whole thing has obviously been rigged to
目的是不正当地激起陪审团的兴趣
unduly excite the jury.
这是比格勒先生的又一个陈腐鄙俗的诡计
It’s another cornball trick.
法官大人
Your Honor,
我不会怪丹瑟先生有被占了便宜的感觉
I don’t blame Mr. Dancer for feeling put-upon.
我只是个卑微的地方律师
I’m just a humble country lawyer trying to
想做的只是尽我所能
do the best I can…
全力对抗这位从大都市兰辛来的
against this brilliant prosecutor from
才华横溢的检察官
the big city of Lansing.
让证人宣誓
Swear the witness.
请举起你的右手
Raise your right hand.
你能不能在上帝面前庄严宣誓
Do you swear the testimony you shall give…
你即将为本庭所作的证词将是事实
shall be the truth, the whole truth,
完全是事实 除了事实没有别的?
and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
-我宣誓 -请坐下
-I do. -Sit down, please.
你住在哪儿 皮兰特小姐?
Where do you live, Miss Pilant?
雷鸣湾的”雷鸣湾旅店”
At Thunder Bay Inn in Thunder Bay.
你在那儿住了多长时间了?
And how long have you lived there?
两年了
For two years.
你的职业是什么?
And what’s your profession?
我管理这家旅店
I manage the inn.
皮兰特小姐
Now, Miss Pilant,
“雷鸣湾旅店”的洗衣房♥是怎样运作的?
how is the laundry handled at Thunder Bay Inn?
有个斜道将衣服滑入洗衣间
It’s chuted down to the laundry room.
二楼的滑道在什么位置?
Where is the location of that chute on the second floor?
在42号♥和43号♥房♥之间
Between room 42 and 43.
谁住在那两个房♥间?
Who lives in those rooms?
我住42号♥ 奎尔先生住43号♥
I live in 42. Mr. Quill lived in 43.
如果奎尔先生从大厅出来
Would Mr. Quill, coming up from the lobby…
走回他的房♥间
have to pass by the mouth of
是不是必定经过那个滑道口?
that chute on the way to his room?
是的
Yes.
那么当他经过时
Would it be very easy for him
是不是很容易把什么东西丢入那个滑道?
to drop something into that chute as he passed?
是的
Yes.
你是否有的时候
Have you ever
也到下面的洗衣房♥去看看呢?
had occasion to go down into the laundry at any time?
是的
Yes.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!