去过”雷鸣湾旅店”吗?
to the Thunder Bay Inn, or…
或雷鸣湾的其它地方吗?
elsewhere in Thunder Bay alone at night?
去过 有几次
Yes, sometimes.
你丈夫知道你去过吗?
Did your husband know you were going?
不都知道 他睡得很早
Not always. He goes to sleep early…
有的时候我有点心神不宁
and sometimes I’m restless.
在这种情况下你会去哪儿?
Where did you go on these occasions?
我会沿着湖边散一会儿步
I’d take a walk by the lake, or…
或是去玩宾果游戏 也许去旅店
go into the bingo place, maybe to the inn.
你去和另外的男人约会过吗?
You ever go to meet another man?
没有 没约会过 我从不那样
No, I didn’t. I never did that.
曼尼昂夫人
You mean to say, Mrs. Manion,
你是说 像你这样一个可爱的女人
a lovely women like yourself…
一个迷人的 孤独的
attractive to men, lonely, restless,
心神不宁的女人 一次也没有和…
that you never once met…
反对 法官大人
Objection, Your Honor.
证人已经回答了 关于其他男人的问题
The witness has answered the question about other men.
对方律师现在是在
The counsel is now making a veiled suggestion
向陪审团作隐匿的暗示
to the jury.
我撤回问题
I withdraw the question.
曼尼昂夫人
Mrs. Manion,
在这些偶尔发生在 夜幕下的短途旅游过程中
on these occasional excursions into the night…
你总是独来独往的吗?
did you always go and return home alone?
当然
Of course.
可是曼尼昂夫人 你前面的证词说…
Mrs. Manion, you testified that the reason you got…
你上巴尼·奎尔车的原因
into Barney Quill’s car was because
是由于你害怕一个人回家
you were afraid to go home alone.
为什么这一晚上那么特别
Why were you so frightened
让你害怕了呢?
on this night?
我说过那是因为他告诉我
I said that it was
有黑熊在附近出没
because he told me bears had been seen around.
那是你第一次听说…
Was this the first time you heard that…
雷鸣湾有黑熊四处觅食吗?
bears came around Thunder Bay for scraps?
-不是 -你以前见到过黑熊吗?
-No. -Had you seen the bears before?
见过
Yes.
哦 这只是你头一次感到害怕了?
Oh, this was just the first time you were afraid of them.
不 我一直感到害怕的
No, I was always afraid of them.
噢 这只是你头一次感到如此害怕
Oh, this was just the first time
以至于让一个男人…
you were enough afraid to allow…
带你回家 尽管这只是
a man to take you home from
你众多的夜晚潜行中的一次
one of your evening prowls.
反对 用”潜行”这个词会误导陪审团
Objection. Use of the word “prowls.” Meant to mislead the jury.
反对有效
Sustained.
好吧 我道歉 曼尼昂夫人
I apologize, Mrs. Manion.
我没有想暗示你是个女猎手的意思
I didn’t mean to imply that you were a huntress.
是不是你头一次感到如此害怕
Was this the first time
以至于让一个男人…
that you were enough afraid to allow a man…
带你回家 尽管这只是
to take you home from
你众多的夜晚漫步中的一次?
one of your evening walks?
呃 不是这样的
Well, it wasn’t just that.
是…
It was…
噢 别这样 曼尼昂夫人
Oh, come now, Mrs. Manion.
你应该能够直接了当地回答这个问题
You should be able to answer that straight off.
这是个足够简单的问题
That’s a simple question.
法官大人
Your Honor,
对方律师总是打断证人的回答
how can the witness answer straight off…
这样如何能让她直接了当地回答问题?
when the counsel keeps interrupting the answer?
在我看来 证人是回答得有点慢
The witness seemed a little slow to me,
比格勒先生
Mr. Biegler.
但是
However,
在她完整回答完之前 别打断她
let her complete her answers before you interrupt.
当然 法官大人 但是总的来说
Of course, Your Honor. In any case,
比格勒先生的反对
Mr. Biegler’s objection…
给了曼尼昂夫人足够多的思考时间
has given Mr. Manion sufficient time to
好让她想出个答案回答我的问题
think of an answer to my question.
你已经想出个答案了 是吗?
You’ve thought of one, haven’t you?
我想说的是 我当时不想得罪奎尔先生
What I was going to say was that I didn’t want to offend Mr. Quill…
不想让他以为我怕他或不喜欢他
by making him think that I was afraid of him or didn’t like him.
当我丈夫和我过去在他的酒吧时
He’s been very pleasant to my husband
他对我们也很友善
and me when we’d been in his bar.
这答案很棒 曼尼昂夫人 真的很棒
That’s very good, Mrs. Manion. Very good, indeed.
法官大人 拜托!
Your Honor, please.
公诉方律师…
The attorney for the people…
请你提出论点而不是做出评论
will reserve his comments for the arguments.
那我问你这个问题 曼尼昂夫人
I will ask you this question, Mrs. Manion.
这是你第一次在夜晚
Was this the first time
坐进巴尼·奎尔的车里吗?
you had been in Barney Quill’s car at night?
曼尼昂夫人 你听清问题了吗?
Mrs. Manion, did you hear the question?
是的 我听清了
Yes, I heard.
是的 这是第一次
Yes, it was the first time.
你能稍微提高点声音吗 曼尼昂夫人?
Would you raise your voice a little, Mrs. Manion?
我说这是第一次
I said it was the first time.
曼尼昂夫人
Now, Mrs. Manion…
我非常挂念那条失踪的内♥裤♥
I’m quite concerned about the lost panties.
你能不能向法庭描述一下这件衣服呢?
Would you describe this article of clothing to the courtroom?
它是尼龙的 边上有花边
They were nylon, and had lace up the sides.
裤子上有个标签
There was a label in them
上面印着我购买♥♥的地方…
of the place I got them…
“亚利桑那凤♥凰♥城时髦商店”
The Smart Shop in Phoenix, Arizona.
内♥裤♥的颜色是什么?
What was the color of the panties?
-我相信是白色 -你相信?
-I believe, white. -You believe?
我有白色的和粉色的
I have white and pink.
也有可能是粉色的
They may have been pink.
你不确定? 你没检查一下你的内衣
You’re not sure? Haven’t you checked your lingerie…
看看到底缺了哪条内♥裤♥?
to see which pair of panties is missing?
没有
No.
你丈夫因为工作回家晚了
When your husband came home late…
然后你们发生了一点小的口角
from work, and you had this little spat,
这时你已经穿好衣准备外出了吗?
were you already dressed to go out?
没有
No.
那你什么时候穿的衣服?
When did you dress?
晚饭后 他睡觉时
After dinner, when he was asleep.
有证人说你在酒吧时 没有穿长袜
It’s been stated here that you were bare legged in the bar.
是这样的吗?
Is that true?
是的
Yes.
出于对你丈夫的怒气
In your anger at your husband
你匆匆忙忙地离开了车房♥
and your haste to get out of the trailer…
也许当时你也没有穿任何内♥裤♥
perhaps you didn’t put on any panties either.
反对 证人已经作证说她当时穿了什么
Objection. Witness has already testified of what she was wearing.
反对有效
Sustained.
你总是穿内♥裤♥的吗 曼尼昂夫人?
Do you always wear panties?
法官大人 我反对这样的质询方式
Your Honor, I object to this line of questioning.
曼尼昂夫人平时是怎么做的并不重要
It’s immaterial what Mrs. Manion does all the time.
在她受到侵害的那个晚上 她穿着内♥裤♥
On the night she was attacked, she was wearing panties…
我们关心这个就足够了
and that’s all we’re concerned with.
法官大人 曼尼昂夫人看起来有点
Mrs. Manion seems a little bit uncertain
不确定她穿了一条什么样的内♥裤♥
about the kind of panties she wore.
既然这条内♥裤♥还没被找到
And since these panties have not been found,
所以我提出有可能…
I submit that it’s possible…
她没穿任何内♥裤♥ 所以忘了
she wasn’t wearing any and has forgotten.
这就是我问话的目的
That’s all I’m trying to get at.
你回答吧 曼尼昂夫人
You may answer, Mrs. Manion.
你总是穿内♥裤♥的吗?
You always wear panties?
不是
No.
那么在什么情况下你不♥穿♥内♥裤♥?
On what occasions don’t you wear them?
当你一个人在夜里外出时?
When you go out alone at night?
不 不! 反对! 他说他就问一件事情
No, no. Objection. He says he’s going after one thing
现在他又得寸进尺了
and goes after another.
我要说反对有效
I’ll sustain the objection.
删除最后两个问题和曼尼昂夫人的回答
Strike out the last two questions in Mrs. Manion’s answer.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!