反对! 这是个引起证人
Objection. That calls for an assumption
做出猜测回答的问题 法官大人
on the part of the witness.
我撤回问题 那么在你看来…
I withdraw the question. Would you say…
曼尼昂夫人和巴尼·奎尔
Mrs. Manion was free and easy
是不是很随随便便?
with Barney Quill?
是的
I would.
你来问吧 比格勒先生
Your witness.
帕盖特先生
Mr. Paquette…
公诉方律师问你
the attorney for the people asked you
曼尼昂夫人是否”有点醉”
if Mrs. Manion was “tight”…
你回答说她”喝高了”
and you said that she was “high.”
那么从一个酒吧侍者的观点来看
Now, speaking as a bartender,
这两者的区别是什么呢?
what’s the distinction between the two?
我不明白你想问什么
I don’t understand.
我的意思是当我们说一个人”有点醉”的时候
When we say a person’s “tight”…
我们通常是指他喝得有点麻木了
we usually mean they’re a little stupid with the drink,
是这样吗?
isn’t that so?
我想是这样 对
I guess so.
要是说他”喝高了”
And if they’re “high”
那是指他很愉快 很享受
they’re gay and enjoying themselves.
换句话说 曼尼昂夫人当时很快乐
In other words, Mrs. Manion was happy.
在”雷鸣湾旅店”很快乐有什么不对吗?
Is there anything wrong with being happy in Thunder Bay Inn?

No.
雷鸣湾本身就是一个度假胜地 不是吗?
Thunder Bay itself is a resort, isn’t it?
游泳 钓鱼 诸如此类的
Swimming, fishing, that sort of thing.
是的
Yes.
那么在雷鸣湾见到一位赤着脚的女士
Is there anything unusual about seeing
有什么非同寻常的吗?
a barefooted woman in Thunder Bay?

No.
因此曼尼昂夫人在雷鸣湾脱掉她的鞋子
So Mrs. Manion’s taking her shoes off in Thunder Bay…
并不意味着她有失体统 是吗?
that doesn’t mean she’s being unladylike, does it?
-我想是的 -是还是不是?
-I guess not. -Yes or no?
是!
No!
你还作证说曼尼昂夫人♥大♥呼小叫
Now, you testified that Mrs. Manion was squealing…
蹦蹦跳跳
and jumping up and down…
舞动着… 我想那是你的说法…
and swishing her… I think that was the expression you used…
在弹球机旁舞动着臀部
swishing her hips around the pinball machine.
那么她有没有引起骚乱呢?
Now, was she creating a disturbance?
她有没有吸引众人的注意力呢?
Was she attracting a crowd?
没有
No.
在酒吧的所有男人 是不是都站成一圈
Were the men at the bar all standing around
看着曼尼昂夫人呢?
watching Mrs. Manion?
不是
No.
但是你却非常注意曼尼昂夫人
But you were very conscious of her.
你如此注意她
Conscious enough so that
以至于你能够告诉我们她的所有举动?
you can tell us all about her actions?
是的
Yes.
我确信巴尼·奎尔…
And certainly Barney Quill…
他也非常注意曼尼昂夫人
he was conscious of her because
因为他和她 在玩弹球游戏 你同意吗?
he was playing pinball with her, right?
同意
Yes.
因此
So it seems that
似乎只有你和巴尼·奎尔敏锐地注意…
only you and Barney Quill were acutely aware…
到了曼尼昂夫人 她的举止和穿着
of Mrs. Manion and her actions and her appearance.
也许可爱的老巴尼走了过来
Maybe good old Barney when he came up to
从你手里要过些喝的
get some drinks from you…
也许他朝你眨眨眼说: “阿尔方斯
maybe he winked and said, “Alphonse,
我要做了这个宝贝 我要强♥奸♥她 ”
I’m gonna take this babe and rape her.”
不! 他没有!
No, he didn’t.
是啊 也许你回答说:
Maybe you said…
“替我也做她一次 老板 ”
“Do it once for me, boss.”
反对! 反对! 这个问题…
Objection.
没有问题了!
No more questions!
这样的混战已经持续了整整一天了
The court’s had about all of this dogfight
我想本法庭也快受不了了
it can take for one day.
我相信陪审团也一样感到
And I’m sure the jury is equally
精疲力尽 饥肠辘辘
tired and hungry.
明天是辩护方的主辩
Tomorrow the defense takes over
我希望辩方律师加快一点
and with expedition, prayer…
收敛一点 自我约束一点
and a little self-discipline on the part of counsel…
这样也许到周六晚上
perhaps we can reach an end
我们就可以结束了
by Saturday night.
现在休庭吧
Will you adjourn court?
注意 注意 注意
Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye.
本法庭现在休庭
This court stands adjourned
明天上午9点继续开庭
until 9:00 tomorrow morning.
他就撞了一下 没什么特别严重的
He’s banged up a little, but there doesn’t seem to be anything else.
我们再观察他一两天吧
We’d like to watch him for a day or so.
他损坏了什么东西吗?
How much damage did he do?
撞坏了一道大门和一扇谷仓的门
Wrecked a gate and a barn door.
而且他没有驾照
He hasn’t got a driver’s license.
当他能动时
He’ll have to appear
他必须去普通治安法庭报道
in the J.P. court when he’s able…
老傻瓜
the old fool.
对死者厚道点
Speak kindly of the dead.
能让我和尸体单独呆一会儿吗?
Mind if I have a minute with the corpse?
当然 保利
Sure.
说说看 你到底在忙活什么呢
Now, was it worth trying to kill yourself…
连老命都不要了?
for whatever it is you’ve been up to?
庭审进行得如何?
How is the trial going?
我整出不少动静 丹瑟针锋相对
I’m making a lot of noise and Dancer’s racking up all the points.
可是快点啊 你究竟去哪儿啦?
But come on. Where have you been?
奎尔从北面的圣玛丽急流市”安大略”
Quill hired Mary Pilant up north of
雇来的玛丽·皮兰特
Sault St. Marie.
我感到奇怪的是他为何大老远地
Struck me funny he’d go all the way up there
跑这么多路去雇某个人为他工作
to hire somebody to work for him.
于是我也去那里打探了一下
I’ve been up there nosing around.
你发现什么有用的东西了吗?
Did you find anything useful?
我查到了她的出生证
Not until I looked up her birth certificate.
1934年 她出生于安大略的盲人河
Born Blind River, Ontario, 1934…
未婚所生
out of wedlock.
母亲是一个女侍者 叫西蒙妮·皮兰特
Mother was a waitress, Simone Pilant.
父亲是伐木工人 叫巴尼·奎尔
Father was a lumberjack named Barney Quill.
我想见玛丽·皮兰特小姐
I’d like to see Miss Mary Pilant.
已经很晚了 先生
It’s late, mister.
我知道 我知道 但这事很重要
I know. This is important.
-真的很重要? -真的很重要
-Real important? -Real important.
是我
Yes?
皮兰特小姐 抱歉把你吵醒了
Miss Pilant, sorry if I woke you.
有个人想见你 说有重要事情
There’s a guy to see you. Says it’s real important.
-你的名… -保罗·比格勒
-What’s your… -Paul Biegler.
-我不想见他 -好的
-I don’t wish to see him, -Okay.
她说那事不够重要
She said it’s not important enough.
好吧 那你再给她打过去 告诉她
Call her back and tell her
我提到了安大略的盲人河
I mentioned Blind River, Ontario.
我会在酒吧里
I’ll be in the bar.
晚上好 阿尔方斯
Good evening, Alphonse.
喝点什么还是仅四下瞅瞅?
Drinking or just snooping?
唔 我想我两样都会做一点儿
I think I’ll try a little of both.
你看先给我来点啤酒怎么样?
What do you say we start with a beer.
本店请客 你只能得到这些…
On the house. And that’s all you get…
一瓶啤酒
a beer.
没有问题 没有回答
No questions, no answers.
我只是个律师 想做好我的工作
I’m just a lawyer trying to do my job.
你有什么好怕的呢 嗯?
What are you so afraid of?
我们坐到那边去 行吗?
Let’s sit over there, please.
皮兰特小姐 我得向你道歉
Miss Pilant, I owe you an apology.
因为我上次来这儿时不是太有礼貌
I was rough when I was here before.
我不知道巴尼·奎尔是你父亲
I didn’t know Barney Quill was your father.
你不是为了向我道歉才来的吧
You didn’t come here just to apologize.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!