你在门边上
when Lt. Manion came in.
你在门边的原因是不是因为
Is that the reason you were by the door,
彼德森夫妇的桌子在那儿?
because the Pedersons’ table was there?
是的
Yes.
在曼尼昂中尉进来之前
And how long was it
你在那儿多长时间?
before Lt. Manion came in?
我不知道确切长短 大概30分钟吧
I don’t know exactly. Maybe 30 minutes.
在那段时间里
And you remained
你一直呆在 彼德森夫妇的桌旁?
at the Pedersons’ table all that time?
是的 他们是我的朋友
Yes, they’re friends of mine.
在那桌子旁边有窗子吗?
Is there a window beside that table?
-我想有 -你想有
-I think so. -You think so.
你在”雷鸣湾旅店”工作 多长时间了
How long have you worked
帕盖特先生?
at the Thunder Bay Inn?
大概六七年了吧
About six, seven years.
桌旁的这扇窗户会不会…
Does this window beside the table…
突然消失和出现
suddenly vanish and reappear and come and
像个幽灵似地游移不定?
go in a ghostly fashion?
它一直在那儿
It’s there all the time.
当你在那儿和朋友聊天时
While you were talking to your friends there,
你有没有朝窗外看?
did you look out of the window?
可能看过
I might have.
当你朝窗外看时有没有刻意想看到什么东西?
Were you looking for something special?
没有 我没有刻意想看到什么东西
No, I wasn’t looking for anything.
巴尼·奎尔没有让你到
Didn’t Barney Quill tell you to go to
窗边留意曼尼昂中尉?
that window and look out for Lt. Manion?
他有没有让你注意曼尼昂中尉?
Did he tell you to look out for Lt. Manion?
他没有这么说
He did not.
帕盖特先生 巴尼是个神枪手
Barney was quite a marksmen,
是吗? 打枪很厉害
wasn’t he, with guns?
他赢过好多射击奖 是吗?
He won a lot of prizes?
是的
Yes.
他在吧台后面放有枪吗?
Did he keep any guns behind the bar?
可能有吧
He might have.
在吧台下面 有三个藏手♥枪♥的架子
Isn’t it a fact there are
这是事实吗 帕盖特先生?
three concealed pistol racks behind the bar?
法官大人 被告的抗辩理由是 精神错乱
The defendant’s plea is one of insanity,
而非正当防卫
not self-defense.
我确信比格勒先生没有忘记这一点
I’m sure Mr. Biegler hasn’t forgotten that fact,
罗德威克先生
Mr. Lodwick.
你可以回答
You may answer.
在吧台下面 有没有藏着枪架?
Are there concealed gun racks behind the bar?
有
Yes.
那么有多少人知道有这些枪架?
And how many people know about these gun racks?
-我说不准 -那么巴尼有没有…
-I couldn’t say. -Isn’t it a fact…
偶尔会从这些架子里取出手♥枪♥
that Barney would take the guns
在手指上转着圈玩儿
out of the racks and twirl them…
以向他的客人们展示他的技巧?
to demonstrate his skill to the patrons?
-我不记得了 -噢 得了吧
-I don’t remember. -Come on.
努力想想! 你自己没有看到他玩过吗?
Try and remember. Did you ever see him do that yourself?
看他玩过一两次吧
Once or twice he did.
行了 帕盖特先生
That’s all.
-没有其它问题了 -证人可以退下了
-No further questions. -The witness may step down.
传唤乔治·莱蒙
Call George Lemon.
比格勒现在四处出击
Biegler’s going off in all directions.
他究竟想干什么?
What’s he getting at?
我的感觉是他在担心我们要干的
I have a feeling he’s afraid of what we’ll get at.
比格勒先生出于某种原因 正制♥造♥烟幕
Mr. Biegler’s putting up a smoke screen for some reason.
-我宣誓 -请坐下
-I do. -Take a seat please.
-请报上你的姓名 -乔治·莱蒙
-Will you state your name, please? -George Lemon.
你做什么工作 莱蒙先生?
What kind of work do you do?
我是雷鸣湾旅游公园的管♥理♥员♥
I’m caretaker of the tourist park in Thunder Bay.
我负责那个地方的整洁和秩序
I see the place is clean and orderly.
我看着他们进进出出
I check people in and out and
并在夜里锁好大门
lock the gate at night.
你向谁负责这份工作呢?
And what is your authority for these duties?
我受雇于马斯顿镇区
I’m paid by Madison Township and
我还是代理治安官
I’m also a deputy sheriff.
某种荣誉性质的
Just courtesy, sort of.
15日夜晚你有没有见过曼尼昂中尉?
Did you see Lt. Manion on the night of the 15th?
就是巴尼·奎尔被杀的那个晚上?
The night Barney Quill was killed?
见过 先生
Yes, sir.
你能不能告诉法庭你是怎样以及何时…
Will you tell the court about how and when…
见到曼尼昂中尉的?
you saw Lt. Manion.
大约凌晨1点的时候我被一阵敲门声闹醒
About 1:00 a.m. a knock on my door waked me up.
我打开门看见曼尼昂中尉站在那儿
I went to the door and Lt. Manion was standing there.
他说: “你最好把我抓起来
He said, “You better take me,
莱蒙先生 因为我刚杀了巴尼·奎尔”
Mr. Lemon, because I just shot Barney Quill.”
我告诉他先回他的车房♥里
I told him to go back to his trailer and
我会给州警打电♥话♥
that I would call the state police.
当曼尼昂中尉让你抓他的时候
How did Lt. Manion appear to you
在你看来他的举止如何?
when he asked you to take him?
他说了他想说的 然后他按我说的做了
He said what he had to say and did what I told him.
没有惊慌失措的样子
No fuss.
就你所能判断而言
Did he appear to you to be…
他看起来是不是…
as far as you could tell…
完全处于清醒状态?
in complete possession of his faculties?
在我看来 是的 先生
As far as I could tell, yes, sir.
轮到你了
Take the witness.
莱蒙先生 你到曼尼昂的车房♥去了吗?
Mr. Lemon, did you go to the Manions’ trailer?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
你在车房♥见到曼尼昂夫人了吗?
Did you see Mrs. Manion at the trailer?
-是的 先生 -她看上去怎么样?
-Yes, sir. -What was her appearance?
她当时一团糟
She was a mess.
反对
Objection.
没有证据显示
No evidence has been introduced to make
曼尼昂夫人的样子和本案有关
Mrs. Manion’s appearance relevant.
也没有证据显示
No evidence has been introduced to make
巴尼·奎尔的样子和本案有关
Barney Quill’s appearance relevant…
但那时你倒不反对对此提问
but you didn’t object to the question then.
是否那是因为你知道巴尼·奎尔
Is that because you know Barney Quill
在强♥奸♥和殴打了…
bathed and changed…
这位可怜的女士之后 洗了澡换了衣服?
after he raped and beat hell out of this poor woman?
法官大人 在法庭上似乎人人都受到了审判
Your Honor, everybody in this court is being tried
除了曼尼昂先生 我必须抗♥议♥…
except Mr. Manion.
听好了这是对一起谋杀案进行的 交叉质询
Now listen, this is a cross-examination murder case,
而不是一场高中生之间的辩论!
not a high school debate!
你和丹瑟想干什么? 轻率地将这个士兵
What are you trying to do,
送入大牢你们就满意啦?
railroad this soldier into the clink?
比格勒先生 你是个有资历的律师
Mr. Biegler, you are an experienced attorney…
你不应该有这样失控的发作
and you know better than to make such an outburst.
我不会容忍♥这样的放纵
I will not tolerate intemperance of this sort.
如果你再一次试探本庭的忍♥耐度
If you once again try the patience of this court…
我会判你藐视法庭
I shall hold you in contempt.
对不起
Sorry.
法官大人
Your Honor…
我向您道歉 不会再发生了
I apologize and it won’t happen again.
从记录中删除证人的回答
The witness’s answer will be stricken…
陪审团不要考虑他的回答
and the jury will disregard the answer.
你可以继续了 比格勒先生
Now you may proceed, Mr. Biegler.
好的 先生
Yes, sir.
莱蒙先生 那天晚上曼尼昂中尉
On the night when Lt. Manion
将你弄醒并自首之前
awakened you and turned himself in…
你有没有被其它动静吵醒过…
had you been awakened before…
有没有其它事情打搅过你的睡梦?
had anything else disturbed your slumbers?
-没有 先生 -士兵们没有唱歌♥?
-No, sir. -There were no soldiers singing?
没有 先生
No, sir.
10点后公园里没有人唱歌♥
Not in my park after 10:00.
也没有女人的叫声
There were no women screaming?
嗯 有叫声从大门方向传过来
Those screams were down by the gate.