Do any of you know Mrs. Manion?
没有
No.
谢谢 曼尼昂夫人 你可以坐下了
Thank you, Mrs. Manion. You may be seated.
辩护律师可以对陪审团的合法性提出质询
Counsel may challenge the jury for cause.
大人 在辩方质询之前
Before counsel’s challenge,
我可以向法庭介绍克劳德·丹瑟吗?
may I introduce Claude Dancer to the court?
来自州府兰辛的丹瑟先生
Mr. Dancer is an assistant attorney
是州检查总长助理
general from Lansing.
鉴于这起案子的奇特性质
Because of the peculiar nature of this case…
我请求了检查总长
I requested the attorney general to
指派丹瑟先生参与起诉过程
let Mr. Dancer sit in with the prosecution.
久闻你的大名 丹瑟先生
Your reputation precedes you, Mr. Dancer.
你的参与是本庭的荣誉
It’s a privilege to have you in my court.
谢谢 我想对我也必有收益
Thank you. I’m sure it’ll be instructive.
陪审团当中有没有任何人和州检查总长办公室
Do any of you have any business pending…
-有任何未决的纠纷? -没有
-before the attorney general’s office? -No.
我得就我以前贬损上半州和…
I must apologize for my disparaging remarks…
这儿的习惯的评论做出道歉
about the Upper Pennisula and its customs.
我很少碰到谋杀案的陪审团用不到半天时间
I’ve seldom seen a murder jury selected and
就可以选定并宣誓就职的情况
sworn in less than half a day.
你们完全赢得了我的心 先生们
You have won my heart completely, gentlemen.
丹瑟先生 你要求休庭
Mr. Dancer, you asked for the recess.
你有什么问题吗?
What’s your problem?
我只是想提一个小小的建议
It was a little suggestion I wanted to make.
愿意洗耳恭听
By all means.
既然辩方以精神错乱作为抗辩理由
Since the defense plea is insanity…
控方已经雇了一个精神病医生
the prosecution has retained a psychiatrist.
因为根据法律
Under the statute,
我们有权要求 用我们自己的医生…
we have a right to petition for a mental exam…
为被告作精神检查
of the defendant by our own doctor.
你熟悉这条法律吗 比格勒先生?
Are you familiar with that statute?
呃… 呃 知道一些吧
Uh-huh. Moderately.
我想要是为此提出正式的书面申请的话
I think it would only delay things to
只会耽搁正事
file a formal petition…
因此为什么我们不可以坐在一起
so why don’t we informally agree to
只是非正式地请求法官大人…
ask His Honor for an adjournment…
暂缓个一到两天
only a day or so,
好让我们的医生看一下被告
and our doctor can visit with the defendant.
我想这样对谁都省事儿
It would save everyone time.
你认为呢 比格勒先生?
Don’t you think so?
-是的 我想是这样 -很好
-I’m sure it will. -Good.
但是假如你非要提出正式的书面申请
Suppose you just go ahead and file that formal petition anyway.
当然你现在有点晚了 是吗?
Of course, you’re a little late.
也许法官大人可以对你网开一面
Maybe His Honor will overlook that.
那么 我就会让陪审团认为
Then I’d like the jury to see that
你其实认为我们的精神错乱辩护是有些道理的
you think our insanity plea has some merit.
其实的确没有必要让我们的医生
There really won’t be any need for our doctor to
为你的委托人作检查
examine your client.
当然 我那只是想遵循通常的程序而已
Naturally, I was only following the usual procedure.
当然 我也会全力支持
Naturally, I’m all for it.
那么你是否要提出书面申请呢 丹瑟先生?
Do you wish to file the petition?
是的 大人…
Yes, Your Honor…
不必了
That won’t be necessary.
噢 是的 的确没有必要了
That’s right.
小规模战斗结束
Skirmish over.
我们开始加入大规模的战场吧
Shall we join now on the field of battle?
奎尔的身上留有五处枪伤
The body of Quill had sustained five gunshot wounds.
其中一颗子弹穿透心脏
One of the bullets had passed through the heart.
依我之见 他几乎即刻殒命
Death, in my opinion, was almost instantaneous…
由这一枪直接导致
and was directly caused by this wound.
拉希德医生 可以给我详尽的报告吗?
Dr. Raschid, may I have your detailed report?
当然
Certainly.
我请求这份报告作为公诉方的
I ask that this report be marked
一号♥呈堂证物 记入本案
People’s Exhibit One for identification.
接受并记入本案
So received and marked.
公诉方给辩护方一份报告的副本
The people hand the defense a copy of the report.
辩护人可以交叉质询了
Counsel may cross-examine.
拉希德医生
Dr. Raschid,
你的主要目的是确认死亡原因
your primary purpose was to ascertain the cause of death.
-是吗? -是的
-Was it not? -Yes.
但是我在你的这份报告里
And yet I read in your report here that
读到你检查过死者
you checked to determine…
以确定他是否产生过精♥子♥
whether spermatogenesis was occurring in the body of the deceased.
反对 法官大人
Objection.
公诉方传唤这位证人
The people call this witness only to show
只是为了确认死亡原因
the cause of death.
法官大人 这份报告是
Your Honor, the entire report was
作为一个整体成为证物的
offered as evidence…
报告中包含有精♥子♥产生的内容
and the report contains this information about spermatogenesis.
反对无效 罗德威克先生
Overruled, Mr. Lodwick.
证人请回答
The witness may answer.
是的 我为死者做了那项检查
Yes, I made that examination on the deceased.
那么能不能告诉法庭你的发现呢?
And now would you tell the court your findings.
死者死亡之前 产生过精♥子♥
Spermatogenesis was occurring at the time of death.
换句话说 死者生前并不是不育的
In other words, the deceased in life was not sterile.
-他可以产生后代 -是这样的
-He could produce children. -That is correct.
那么医生 如果一个女人声称
Now, Doctor, if a woman says that
她和某位男子…
she has had intercourse…
发生过性关系
with a certain man and
而这名男子又被证明具有生殖能力
the man is proved fertile…
那么即使在这个女子的体内
even though no evidence is found
没有发现性行为的证据
in the woman’s body…
一个律师… 就说某个公诉人吧…
could a lawyer… say a prosecuting attorney…
他能不能以此作为这名女子撒谎的证据呢?
could he use this as evidence that the woman is lying?
法官大人 我反对这样的质问方式
Your Honor, I object to this line of questioning.
我们在此并不关心
We’re not concerned with
某男某女是否发生过关系
if there has been relations with a man and a woman.
法官大人
As long as an examination for
既然精♥子♥产生的检查已经做了
spermatogenesis has been made…
至少我们也有权知道为什么要做吧
at least we’re entitled to know why.
反对无效 请回答
Overruled. You may answer.
是的 控方可以用那个结果
Yes, prosecution could use that…
尽管那并不能确凿地证明她撒了谎
though it certainly would not be conclusive that she was lying.
为什么不能?
Why not?
可以有多种原因导致她身上没有留下证据:
There could be several reasons why the test on her was negative.
用了避孕工具
The use of a contraceptive…
或者可能是男方没有完成性行为
or possibly there was no completion on the part of the man.
关于尸检
Now this postmortem,
有没有人要求你做检查来确定…
were you also asked to determine…
死者在他死之前不久是否达到过性高♥潮♥?
if the deceased had reached a sexual climax shortly before his death?
没有 先生
No, sir.
那么你能不能做这样的检查呢?
Could you have made this determination?
噢 能的
Oh, yes.
所以你只被要求做那样一种检查
So, you were only asked to make such an examination…
那种可能会对控方有利的检查
that might be useful to the prosecution,
而对辩方有利的检查一概不做
none that might help the defense?
我反对 法官大人
I object, Your Honor.
这个问题具有挑衅性
The question is argumentative.
辩方律师企图攻击公诉方代表的意图
Counsel is trying to impugn the intent of the representatives of the people.
比格勒先生 你应该意识到
Mr. Biegler, you must be aware
这个问题是不适当的
that the question is improper.
我撤回这个问题并就此道歉
I withdraw the question and apologize.
这个问题及回答将从法庭记录里删除
The question and answer will be stricken…
陪审团将忽略这个问题及其回答
and the jury will disregard both the question and the answer.
我问完了
That’s all.
我不用再质询证人了
No redirect.
公诉方现在传唤劳埃德·伯克
The people now call Lloyd Burke.
请证人举步上前
Will the witness step forward, please?
陪审团怎么可能忽略已经听到的内容?
How can a jury disregard what it’s already heard?
他们不能 中尉
They can’t, Lieutenant.
你能不能在上帝面前…