I thought you were at the bar because…
-我以为 -这并不会改变什么
– I thought… – It doesn’t make any difference.
终归要发生的 还不如就是现在
It had to happen. It might as well have been now.
别这么说
Oh, don’t say that.
求你了 天哪 别这么说
Please, God, don’t say that.
你叫什么名字
What’s your name?
我不知道
I don’t know.
你什么意思
What do you mean?
照片上你没认出来的女孩
This girl in the photograph, the girl you don’t recognise,
她找了你 向你的组织求助了 是吧
she came to you and asked your organisation for help, didn’t she?
是不是
Didn’t she?
对
Yes.
妈妈 是真的吗
Mother… Is this true?
不是用伊娃·史密斯 也不是黛西·兰顿的名字
Not as Eva Smith. Nor as Daisy Renton.
-不是 -用的什么名字
– No. – As what?
伯灵夫人
Mrs Birling.
后来她假装称伯灵夫人
She pretended afterwards that Mrs Birling just happened to be
是她第一个想到的名字
the first name she’d thought of.
有可能的
It might have been.
可能是她在等待时听谁提过这个名字
She might have heard it mentioned whilst she was waiting and…
真是厚颜无♥耻♥
Damned impudence.
我一问她 她就承认了
She admitted, once I began questioning her,
她没有想要这个名字的名分
that she had no claim on the name whatsoever,
她根本没有结过婚
that she was not married at all,
她来的时候讲的那个
and that the story she came in with,
被自己丈夫抛弃的故事 没有多少真实性
of a husband who’d deserted her, was quite false.
我没有花多长时间
It didn’t take me long
就从她身上得到了真♥相♥ 至少是一部分
to get the truth, or some of the truth, out of her.
现在 我们从头来
Now, let’s start again.
你叫什么名字
What’s your name?
爱丽丝·格蕾
Alice…Grey.
为什么你要向我们求助呢 格蕾小姐
And why have you come to us for help, Miss Grey?
-我没有钱了 -请大声点
– I don’t have any money. – Please speak up.
我没有钱了
I don’t have any money.
你想找份工作吗 主动地
Are you looking for work? Actively?
我原是想的 但是
I was, but…
到底是为什么 她为什么需要你的帮助
And what was the truth? Why did she want your help?
我觉得你明知故问
I think you know very well why she wanted help.
我怀孕了
I’m going to have a baby.
明白了
I see.
孩子的父亲是谁
And who is the father of this child?
我不太想说
I’d rather not say.
-那他知道你的情况吗 -知道
– Does he know of your condition? – Yes.
那支持你就是他的职责
Then it’s his business to support you.
他也没有钱
Well, he doesn’t have any money.
他很年轻 还酗酒
Not…really. He’s very young. He drinks too much…
那不是理由 他够大了 该承担后果了
That’s no excuse. He’s old enough to have done what he’s done.
他确实想帮忙 但是
He did want to help. He, um…
他开始给我钱 但后来我意识到那是偷来的
started giving me money, but then I realised he was stealing it.
我让他别再偷了
I told him not to any more.
我不想让他惹麻烦 他人真的很好
I don’t want him to get into trouble. He’s sweet, really…
够了
That’s enough.
照你现在的状况
Given your present state,
我觉得我很难相信你非同寻常的顾忌
I find it hard to believe in your extraordinary scruples.
不是非同寻常 我是说
They’re not extraordinary. I mean…
-我从小被教育要尽力而为 -等一下
– I was raised to do my best by people… – One moment.
我不觉得她需要任何帮助
I don’t see that we can assist in this case.
我同意
I’m afraid I agree.
她讲的事太多对不上的了
There are too many discrepancies, apart from anything else.
同意
Agreed.
格蕾小姐 我们恐怕不能帮助你
Miss Grey. I’m afraid we won’t be able to help you.
我建议你去找那个男人
I suggest you go and find this young man
你们俩结婚
and that the two of you marry
然后一起把孩子抚养大
and that you bring up your child together.
我们结不了婚 他
We can’t marry. He…
我们不是同一个 阶层的
We are not of the same…class.
-行不通的 -必须行得通
– It wouldn’t work… – You must make it work.
就这样了吗
Well, is…that it?
你们不应该帮助我吗
You’re supposed to be the ones that help.
如果你们不是真的想帮助 那还有什么意义
What is all this if you don’t really want to help?
你听到我们的决定了
You’ve heard our decision.
下一个 请上前
Next. Come forward, please.
祝你安好 格蕾小姐
Good day to you, Miss Grey.
-你叫什么 -玛丽·凯里 夫人
– Your name is? – Mary Kelly, Ma’am.
为什么来这
And why are you here?
我被赶出来了
I’ve been thrown out of my lodgings,
夫人 我付不起房♥租
Ma’am. I can’t pay the rent…
她当时有孕在身吗
She was pregnant?
是的
Yes.
然而她却
Yet she still…
不 我听不下去了
I can’t…I can’t bear it.
或许现在你们能够彻底明白
Perhaps now you people will understand
她当时有多么绝望
exactly how desperate she’d become.
她怀孕多久了 我是说
How pregnant was she? I mean…
差不多三个月
About three months.
至少不是你的孩子
At least it wasn’t yours.
我认为可以说是
Well, I think it says
这女孩性格的原因
something about the character of the girl…
导致她轻生
that she took her own life…
当她得知自己
..knowing that she…
要我说的话 这完全是一种懦夫的行为
If you ask me, I think it was an extremely cowardly act.
冷静点 西比尔
Steady on, Sybil.
我有资格坚持我的想法
I’m entitled to my opinion.
没错 但是
Yes, but…
该死
Oh, damn it!
这件事对我们可没什么好处
This isn’t going to look good for us.
媒体知道的话可要开心死了
The press will have a field day.
我希望你们当时
I wish you’d…
能帮助那女孩 你知道
helped the girl, you know.
-是吗 真的吗 -没错
– Really? Really? – Yes!
最开始开除她的人可不是我
I wasn’t the one who put her out of a job in the first place.
我履行了自己的职责 不多也不少
I did my duty. No more or less.
你还是没觉得抱歉吗 伯灵夫人
You still don’t feel sorry for what you did, Mrs Birling?
对 我没觉得
No, I do not.
我对她的死感到很抱歉 这是自然
I’m sorry she died, naturally,
但我不会接受由此而来的任何责难
but I don’t accept any blame for it at all.
那究竟该怪谁呢
Who is to blame, then?
首先 当然是那女孩自己
Well, firstly, the girl herself!
其次 把她卷入这些麻烦的那个年轻人
And secondly, the young man who got her into trouble.
如果就像她说的那样
And if, as she claims,
那男孩来自另一个阶级
he was of a different class from her,
某个醉酒的纨绔子弟
some drunken young idler,
那他就更没有理由逃脱了
then all the more reason why he shouldn’t escape!
他应该被以儆效尤
He should be made an example of.
公开的吗
Publicly?
没错 公开
Yes. Publicly.
应该强迫他面对自己的所作所为
He should be forced to confront what he’s done.
母亲
Mother…
要是不介意我说的话
And if you don’t mind my saying,
你应该出去找那个男孩子
you should be out looking for him,
而不是在这里用毫无意义的问题骚扰我们
rather than harassing us with unnecessary questions.
那样你才是真正的”履行职责”
Then you really would be “doing your duty”.
我确实是在履行自己的职责 伯灵夫人
Oh, I certainly intend to do my duty, Mrs Birling.
母亲 别说了
Mother, stop.
你肯定看出来了
Surely you can see?
埃里克
Eric…
但埃里克不是
But Eric’s not…
他
He…
他
He…
照片给我看
Show me.
看着我