可能觉得你能找到比
thinks you could have done better than my girl
我家姑娘更好的
socially and so on.
不 我真的不觉得
I… I really don’t think…
这没什么 我不怪她这么想
Oh, it’s quite all right. I don’t blame her.
当初 我追求西比尔的时候
Sybil’s parents were just the same
她父母也是一样的态度
when I was courting her.
是吗
Were they?
可不是吗
Oh, yes.
不过 如果你不介意的话
Now, there’s something I’d like you to mention to her…
我希望你私下跟她提一下
quietly, if you don’t mind.
目前看来 我貌似有这么一个机会
It seems there’s a pretty good chance
可能能够登上下一批受勋者名册
that I might find my way on to the next honours list.
获封骑士
A knighthood.
我的老天
Oh, I say!
-恭喜您 -谢谢
– Congratulations! – Thanks.
虽然 现在说的话还为时尚早
Well, it’s a bit early for that,
不过 我已经得到一些暗示了
but I’ve had one or two hints.
你也知道 我曾经当过市长
Well, you know I had that spell as Lord Mayor, of course.
而且我在党内的贡献也不小
And I’m known as a useful party man.
我觉得我的机会挺大
I think I stand a fair chance
只要接下来几个月别惹上什么麻烦
as long as we keep out of trouble for the next few months.
如果唯一的障碍是这个
Well, if that’s the only obstacle…
这事只有家里人知道 其他人都不知道
The family knows, but, um… no-one else does.
我会悄悄跟她说的
I shall mention it to her in confidence.
-她会很高兴的 -那就好
– She’ll be delighted. – Good.
我跟埃里克之前也说过
I’ve said this to Eric before,
重要的不是你人生的起点多高
it’s not where you start in this life,
而是你的成就如何
it’s where you finish.
在这个国家 一个人只要下定决心
Now, a man can achieve anything he wants to
就能达成他想要的任何成就
in this country, if he puts his mind to it.
这也是为什么这个国家伟大的原因
And that’s part of what makes it great.
我实在不能更同意了
I couldn’t agree with you more.
唯一要做的就是专注做好你自己的事
The thing to do is to keep your head down and concentrate on your own business.
如果要像现在这些搞运动的疯子们所说
The way these cranks talk now,
人人都得关心其他人
you’d think everybody has to look after everybody else,
那还不像个马蜂窝一样乱了套了
and we’re all mixed up together, like bees in a hive.
“社区团结” 再让我听到这词
“Community”! If I hear that word one more time…
我就这么告诉你
You take it from me –
男人必须把自己的事情料理好
a man must look after his own affairs.
料理好自己 照看好家族
Look after himself and his family,
其他的一切都
and then everything else just…
先生 有位探长来访
Please, sir, an inspector’s called.
什么样的探长
What kind of inspector?
来自警局的探长 他说有很重要的事情找您
A police inspector, sir. He says it’s important.
好吧 那你就让他进来吧
Well, you’d better let him in here then.
真够烦的
Ah, nuisance.
您还在当法官吗
Are you still on the bench, sir?
是的 估计是要签搜查令什么的
Yes. It’ll be something about a warrant, I bet.
这是古尔探长 先生
Inspector Goole, sir.
伯灵先生
Mr Birling?
是我 探长 请坐
Yes, Inspector. Sit down if you like.
谢谢
Thank you, sir.
我希望不会太久
I hope this won’t take too long,
我们这有个家庭庆祝活动
only we’re in the middle of a family celebration.
要来杯波特吗 或者威士忌
A glass of port? Or we have some whisky.
不了 谢谢 伯灵先生 我正当值
No, thank you, Mr Birling. I’m on duty.
-你是新来的吧 -是的 先生 刚调过来的
– You’re new, aren’t you? – Yes, sir. Recently transferred.
我就说以前没见过你
I thought I’d never seen your face before.
-本地警局的人我都认识 -那是当然
– I know all the police round here. – Of course.
那么我能帮上什么忙 如果是搜查证的话
So, what can I do for you? If it’s about a warrant…
我想问些问题 如果您不介意的话
I’d like some information, if you don’t mind.
三个小时前 一个年轻姑娘在医院去世了
Three hours ago, a young woman died in the Infirmary.
她选择了结束自己的生命
She’d taken steps to end her own life.
医生们试图抢救 但已经太晚了
The doctors tried to save her, but it was too late.
天哪 太可怕了
Good heavens, how dreadful.
所以
And?
她 是谁
Who… Who was she?
请问你是
And you are?
-埃里克·伯灵 -我儿子
– Um…Eric Birling. – My son.
死者叫伊娃·史密斯
Her name was Eva Smith.
伊娃·史密斯
Eva Smith…
你记得她吗 伯灵先生
Do you remember her, Mr Birling?
这个名字是有点耳熟 但是
The name seems familiar, but, er…
我没想起来什么
..it doesn’t really mean anything to me.
我刚刚去了她的住处
I’ve just been round to the room she had.
她留了一封遗书 还有一些日记
She left a letter and a sort of diary.
看来她之前是您公♥司♥的员工
Now, it seems that she was employed in your works at one time.
啊 原来是这样
Ah…that’s it, is it?
我们有好几百个年轻女工在公♥司♥工作
Well, we have several hundred young women working there,
她们流动性也很大
and they keep changing.
不过这个姑娘 伊娃·史密斯
Well, this young woman, Eva Smith,
她有点不同寻常
she was a bit out of the ordinary.
我在她住处找到一张她的照片
I found a photograph of her in her lodgings.
可能您看了能想起来
Perhaps you’d remember her from that.
能给我看看吗
May I see it, please?
恐怕不行
I’m afraid not.
为什么不行 我只是
Why not? I only…
这是我做事的方法 一次只问一个人
It’s the way I work. One line of inquiry at a time.
那好
Very well, um…
我认识她吗 爸爸
Would I know her, father?
不 不 这个女孩已经走了
No. No. That girl left us…
大约两年了
Oh, nearly two years ago.
早在你开始工作之前了
Long before you even started at the works.
1910年的9月末
The end of September, 1910.
对 听着对的
Yes, that’s about right.
所以你现在记起她了
So you remember her now?
对 我记起来了
Yes, I do.
先生 我是不是应该先回避一下
Look here, sir, wouldn’t you rather I was out of all this?
别走 杰拉德 你留下
No, Gerald. No, you stay.
我相信这位探长不会反对
I’m sure the inspector will have no objection.
这位是杰拉德·考夫特 乔治·考夫特爵士的公子
This is Gerald Croft, son of Sir George Croft.
你知道 那个考夫特有限公♥司♥
You know, Crofts Limited.
我们恰巧正在庆祝他和小女的订婚
We’re celebrating his engagement to my daughter, as it happens.
我明白了 所以杰拉德·考夫特先生即将要娶希拉·伯灵小姐
I see, so Mr Gerald Croft is to marry Miss Sheila Birling?
希望如此 对
I hope so, yes.
那么我希望你可以留下 先生
Then I’d prefer you to stay, sir.
听着
Look…
这事没有什么神秘或者可耻的地方
There’s nothing mysterious or scandalous about this business.
至少据我所知是这样的
At least not as far as I’m concerned.
这是非常直截了当的
It was perfectly straightforward…
什么直截了当
What was?
我把她解雇了 就这样
I discharged her, that’s all.
我把她从工厂里解雇了
I discharged her from the works.
你为什么要这么做 先生
Why did you do that, sir?
为什么 你干嘛要管为什么
Why? What does it matter why?
她是一个麻烦精 这就是理由
She was a trouble-maker. That’s why.
在哪个方面
In what way?
她是五人帮里的一个
She was part of a gang of five.
她们在那个夏天来找我
They started coming to me that summer,
想让我给她们升工资 我拒绝了
wanting me to put their wages up. I refused.
她是里面的头目
She was the ringleader…
你是如何判断的
Why do you say that?
因为她就是
Because she was.
是她一直在主导谈话
It was her did all the talking.
接下来 就是她
The next thing I knew, she’d brought
带领全体工厂员工罢♥工♥
the whole workforce out on strike.
我听说过
I heard about it.
她们很清楚自己在做什么 她们一直等到
They knew what they were doing. They waited until we had
我们有个很大的订单要交货
a huge order to deliver,
开厂以来最大的订单
the biggest one we’d ever had.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!