Arthur?
-你要打给谁 -警♥察♥局长
– Who are you calling? – Chief Constable.
这样合适吗
Is that wise?
帮我接布鲁姆利8742号♥ 谢谢
Brumley 8742, please.
你觉得他会知道
Do you think he’ll know about…?
我找罗伯茨上校 谢谢
Colonel Roberts, please.
我是亚瑟·伯灵先生
It’s Mr Arthur Birling.
罗伯茨
Roberts?
很抱歉这么晚打扰您
Er, sorry to ring you up so late.
您能不能告诉我
Um…can you tell me,
你们局最近是不是来了个叫古尔探长的人
has an Inspector Goole joined your staff lately?
古尔或者叫古尔德 我记不清了
Goole, or Goold, possibly.
新人 最近才调来的
New man, recently transferred.
个子挺高的
Tall…
明白了
I see.
是的 这就能说得通了
Yes….well, that settles it.
不不 只是我们家里人
No, no, no, no, no, it’s just a little argument
有点儿小争议
we were having among ourselves.
谢谢 谢谢您
Er…thank you. Thank you.
我会的
Um, I will.
谢谢您 晚安
Thank you. Goodnight.
根本就没有古尔探长这号♥人
There is no Inspector Goole.
布鲁姆利警局压根就没来过新人
No-one new at the Brumley force at all.
我不明白
I don’t understand.
咱们被耍了
We’ve been had.
这是个骗局
A hoax.
我就知道他不是个警官
I knew he wasn’t a police officer.
他进来时你就应该检查他的证件
You should have checked his credentials the moment he arrived.
他为什么要这么做
Why would anyone do that?
可能 有人听说我要加封爵士
Perhaps…someone heard about the knighthood and…
所以想在背后捅我一刀
wanted to bring me down a peg.
这是嫉妒 恶毒的嫉妒
Jealousy. Malicious jealousy.
这样情况就完全不同了
This changes everything.
那他究竟是谁
So who was he?
接下来我们该怎么办
What are we going to do?
需要再给罗伯茨上校打个电♥话♥吗
Shall we ring Colonel Roberts again?
不不 等等
No, no. Wait…
别 让我好好想想
No, let me think this through.
知道了也什么都改变不了
It doesn’t change anything.
-当然能 -这不能
– Of course it does. – It doesn’t.
那些我们告诉探长的事 都是事实
Everything we told the inspector still happened.
他不是探长
He wasn’t an inspector.
但他确实调查了我们
Well, he certainly inspected us.
我们跟他说了实话
We told him the truth.
不是吗
Didn’t we?
她说的对
She’s right.
一切都没有改变 莎拉还是死了
It doesn’t change anything. Sarah’s still dead,
而且是我们杀了她
and between us, we killed her.
是我们吗
Did we?
你明知是我们干的
You know that we did.
不 你仔细想想
No, think about it.
这个骗子来到镇上
The hoaxer goes round town,
说是 发现了我们的丑事
say, finding things out about us,
一些让我们名誉扫地的事情
things that… Things that might make us ashamed.
然后他来到了这里
And then he comes here
诱使我们坦白
and persuades us all into confessing
我们都参与并导致了这个女孩的死亡
that we each played a part in this girl’s death.
-确实是这样 -但是
– We did. – Yes, but…
我们怎么能确定大家说的是同一个女孩
how do we know we were all talking about the same girl?
我们都讲了自己的所作所为 对吧
We all did what we said we did, hmm?
但是我们怎么能确定你的伊娃·史密斯
But how do we know that your Eva Smith
和我的黛西·兰顿
is the same girl as my, um…
是同一个人呢
Well, as my Daisy Renton?
因为我们都看到了照片
Because we looked at the photograph.
我没有
I didn’t.
我只是轻信了他的话
Simply took his word for it.
你们还记得他那个奇怪的要求吗
And do you remember how peculiar he was
每次只让一个人看照片
about only one person seeing the photograph at once?
要是我们每次看到的照片都不一样呢
What if they were all different?
你说的对
You’re right.
-我们说的不是同一个姑娘 -不
– We were all talking about different girls. – No.
我不相信 细节都对得上
I don’t believe it. The facts fit together too well.
她自称为伯灵夫人
She called herself Mrs Birling.
如果不是同一个人
Why would she have done that
那她为什么要这么做
if she wasn’t the same girl who…
我想说 是谁说今天下午死了个姑娘
I mean, who’s to say there was a girl who died this afternoon?
谁能证明这事是真的
Whose word do we have for that…
除了他之外
..but his?
是的 护士
Yes, Nurse?
是的 我还在听
Yes, yes, I’m still here.
好的
Right.
我明白了
I understand.
不 谢谢你 护士
No. Thank you, Nurse.
好的 晚安
Yes. Goodnight.
没人自杀
No suicides.
没有女孩去世
No girl.
感谢上帝
Oh, thank the Lord!
感谢上帝
Thank the Lord!
我从没在被骗得团团转之后
I have never been so happy…
这么开心过
..to have been had!
我会尽一切所能重新赢回你的心
I’m going to try everything to win you back.
你相信上帝吗
Do you believe in God?
相信
Yes.
为什么
How can you?
因为我不相信人类
I can’t believe in people.
我必须得相信什么 否则我将无所寄托
I have to believe in something, or I’d fall.
然后堕入深渊
Fall down through the cracks.
万劫不复
And never stop falling.
小姐 你怎么了
Miss! What’s happened?
我要去找她
I’m going to go and find her.
这里是伯灵庄园
Birling residence.
请讲
Speaking.
我明白
I understand.
有个女孩死了
A girl has died.
自杀
Suicide.
一个探长正在赶来的路上
A police inspector is on his way
准备问我们一些问题
to ask us…some questions.