simply because the facts they discovered
是一个”不合时宜”的真♥相♥
led them to an inconvenient truth
他们却坚持要将其公之于众
that they insisted on telling.
他在美国石油协会工作
He worked for the American Petroleum Institute.
2001年1月起
And in January of 2001,
主持制定环境政策
he was put by the president in charge of environmental policy.
他收到美国环保署的一份文件
He received a memo from the EPA
警告全球变暖的问题
that warned about global warming
然后做了修改和批示 尽管他没有经过任何科学培训
and he edited. He has no scientific training whatsoever.
但他自作主张地反驳了科学家
But he took it upon himself to overrule the scientist.
我说”我想瞻仰一下这位仁兄的书法”
I said, “I want to see what this guy’s handwriting looks like.”
这是环保署的原文 这些是他的笔迹
This is the memo from the EPA. These are his actual pen strokes.
他说”你不能这么说 纯粹就是猜测”
He says, “No, you can’t say this. This is just speculation.”
这是白宫的耻辱
This was embarrassing to the White House,
所以这位仁兄几天之后就辞职了
so this fellow resigned a few days later.
而辞职当天 就投奔到埃克森·美孚门下
And the day after he resigned, he went to work for Exxon Mobil.
100年前 亚普顿·辛克莱写下了这段话
You know, more than 100 years ago, Upton Sinclair wrote this.
“要是给他发薪水的要他往东”
That it’s difficult to get a man to understand something
“他怎么可能往西”
if his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
第二大误区
The second misconception.
经济和环境 就像鱼和熊掌 不可兼得
Do we have to choose between the economy and the environment?
这个问题很大
This is a big one.
很多人都这样认为
Lot of people say we do.
我曾劝说往届政♥府♥
I was trying to convince the previous administration,
老布♥什♥政♥府♥ 劝说其加入地球峰会
the first Bush administration, to go to the Earth Summit.
结果他们开了个白宫新闻发布会
And they organized a big White House conference
说”美国无需自降身价”
to say, “Oh, we’re on top of this.”
有一幅关于这个的漫画 引起了我的注意
And one of these view graphs caught my attention.
我想专门谈一谈
And I want to talk to you about it for a minute.
这就是我们面临的选择
Now here is the choice that we have to make
根据这些人的说法
according to this group.
天平的两端是不同的东西
We have here a scales that balances two different things.
一边放着金条
On one side, we have gold bars.
看上去不错吧
Don’t they look good?
给我两块就知足了
I’d just like to have some of those gold bars.
天平的另一端呢 整个地球
On the other side of the scales, the entire planet.
我认为不存在这样的选择 原因有二
I think this is a false choice for two reasons.
一 要是地球不存在了…
Number one, if we don’t have a planet…
另一个原因是 如我们做得好
The other reason is that if we do the right thing,
同样会带来滚滚财源
then we’re gonna create a lot of wealth
-还会带来更多的工作机会 -说得对
-and we’re gonna create a lot of jobs. -Yes.
正确的道路才能帮助我们前进
Because doing the right thing moves us forward.
这样的演说 我做了千百次
I’ve probably given this slide show 1,000 times.
准确地说 至少有1000次
I would say, at least 1,000 times.
从纳什维尔到诺克斯维尔 阿斯本 圣得西
Nashville to Knoxville to Aspen and Sundance.
洛杉矶 旧金山 波特兰 明尼阿波斯
Los Angeles and San Francisco. Portland, Minneapolis.
波斯顿 纽哈芬 伦敦
Boston, New Haven, London,
布鲁塞尔 斯德哥尔摩 赫尔辛基
Brussels, Stockholm, Helsinki,
维也纳 慕尼黑 意大利 西班牙
Vienna, Munich, Italy and Spain
中国 韩国 日本
and China, South Korea, Japan.
谢谢
Thank you.
我认为自己在这个演讲上
I guess the thing I’ve spent more time on
投入空前的精力
than anything else in this slide show
是想替人们清除
is trying to identify
那些思想上的顽石
all those things in people’s minds
以便人们能理解这一切
that serve as obstacles to them understanding this.
无论何时我发现一块顽石
And whenever I feel like I’ve identified an obstacle,
就会尽力将它打散 滚走 搬到一边
I try to take it apart, roll it away. Move it.
敲烂 炸得粉碎
Demolish it, blow it up.
我给自己定下一个目标
I set myself a goal.
要将这一观念清楚地传播下去
Communicate this real clearly.
我所知道的唯一办法
The only way I know to do it
就是一个城市一个城市
is city by city,
一个人接一个人
person by person,
挨家挨户地演讲
family by family.
-再见 谢谢 -再见
-Bye-bye. Thank you again. -Bye.
我坚信不久之后
And I have faith that pretty soon
唤醒足够多的人
enough minds are changed
我们就能迈过这个门槛
that we cross a threshold.
我来举例说明
Let me give you an example
错误地对待环境和经济平衡的后果
of the wrong way to balance the economy and the environment.
其中一个与汽车相关
One part of this issue involves automobiles.
日本的续驶里程在这一水平
Japan has mileage standards up here.
欧盟计划超过日本
Europe plans to pass Japan.
我们的盟国澳大利亚和加拿大 也把我们远远抛在后面
Our allies in Australia and Canada are leaving us behind.
这里是我们的标准
Here is where we are.
为什么会这样呢
Now there’s a reason for it.
他们说美国不能太关注环境
They say that we can’t protect the environment too much
以至于影响了经济 威胁到汽车制♥造♥商
without threatening the economy and threatening the automakers.
因为中国的汽车制♥造♥商 会跑进来蚕食我们的市场
Because automakers in China might come in and just steal all our markets.
而这是中国目前的续驶里程标准
Well, here is where China’s auto mileage standards are now.
远比我们高
Way above ours.
我们没法买♥♥汽车给中国
We can’t sell our cars in China today
因为没法达到中国的环境标准
because we don’t meet the Chinese environmental standards.
加利福利亚已经做出一个创举
California has taken an initiative
规定其境内出♥售♥的汽车 要有更高的续驶里程
to have higher-mileage cars sold in California.
结果汽车商起诉加州政♥府♥
Now the auto companies have sued California
以阻止此项法律生效
to prevent this law from taking effect
因为他们宣称
because, as they point out, 11 years from now
这样就等于要求加州出♥售♥的汽车
this would mean that California would have to have cars for sale
11年后
that are as efficient 11 years from now
能达到中国目前的水平
as China’s are today.
这要求简直太”高”了
Clearly too onerous a provision to comply with.
那我们的公♥司♥是不是业绩如虹呢?
And is this helping our companies succeed?
事实上 看看世界上谁做得最好
Well, actually, if you look at who’s doing well in the world,
是制♥造♥节能汽车的公♥司♥
it’s the companies that are building more-efficient cars.
而我们的公♥司♥则陷入困境
And our companies are in deep trouble.
最后一大误区
Final misconception.
“就算承认这一问题的存在”
If we accept that this problem is real,
“我们也无能为力了”
maybe it’s just too big to do anything about.
很多人 从拒绝承认
And, you know, there are a lot of people who go straight from denial
径直走入绝望的阴影中
to despair
却不知道停下脚步
without pausing on the intermediate step
着手解决问题
of actually doing something about the problem.
这就是我最后想谈的 目前人们已知的
And that’s what I’d like to finish with. The fact that we already know
能有效解决这一问题的方法
everything we need to know to effectively address this problem.
我们需要做大量的工作 而不仅仅局限于一件事
We’ve got to do a lot of things, not just one.
如果我们使用更节能的
If we use more efficient
家用电器
electricity appliances,
就能减少这么多的污染排放
we can save this much off of the global warming pollution
这些原本都进入了大气
that would otherwise be put into the atmosphere.
要是采用别的节能设备 能减少这么多
If we use other end-use efficiency, this much.
拥有更多续驶里程的汽车 减少这么多
If we have higher mileage cars, this much.
还有更多 别的交通工具节能
And all these begin to add up. Other transport efficiency,
可再生能源
renewable technology,
碳固存技术…
carbon capture and sequestration.
还有更多的解决方案
A big solution that you’re gonna be hearing a lot more about.
这些都加到一起
They all add up,
我们很快就能将排放水平 降到1970年以下
and pretty soon we are below our 1970 emissions.
各方面条件都齐备了
We have everything we need,
我们还需要拯救我们的的政♥治♥意愿
save perhaps political will.
可不是? 在美国 政♥治♥意愿就是可”再生”资源
But you know what? In America, political will is a renewable resource.
我们有这个能力
We have the ability to do this.
每个人都在引起全球变暖
Each one of us is a cause of global warming,
但我们可以选择改变这一现状
but each of us can make choices to change that.
买♥♥的东西 用的电 开的车
With the things we buy, the electricity we use, the cars we drive,
我们可以选择 将个人二氧化碳排放降到0
we can make choices to bring our individual carbon emissions to zero.
解药就在你我手里
The solutions are in our hands.
我们只需要做出决定使其生效
We just have to have the determination to make them happen.
我们甘愿走在全世界的后面吗?
Are we gonna be left behind as the rest of the world moves forward?
那么多国家认同京都议定书