这就是巴黎
This is Paris.
作为一个在巴黎的美国人
And I’m an American who lives here.
我的名字叫杰瑞莫瑞克
My name, Jerry Mulligan…
…是二战后的退伍兵
…and I’m an ex-G.I.
1945决定放我出去自己找份工作…
In 1945, when the Army told me to find my own job…
…我就留在了巴黎
…I stayed on.
想知道为什么吗
And I’ll tell you why.
我是个画家
I’m a painter.
对我来说活着的意义 就是永远做自己想做的事
All my life that’s all I’ve ever wanted to do.
对一名画家来说 当今世界学习绘画的圣地…
For a painter, the mecca of the world for study…
…能激发灵感 令人们梦寐以求的地方就是这里…
…for inspiration and for living…
…在这个星球上首屈一指的城市巴黎
…is here on this star called Paris.
你只要看看
Just look at it.
许多艺术家到到这个城市就会留恋忘返
No wonder so many artists have come here and called it home.
朋友,如果你不在巴黎画画, 最好就此罢手,回去做你老板的乖女婿
Brother, if you can’t paint in Paris, give up and marry the boss’ daughter.
我们现在塞纳河的东岸 我的家就安住在那
We’re on the Left Bank now. That’s where I’m billeted.
就是在这条街上
Here’s my street.
在过去的几年中…
In the past couple of years…
…我已经把这一带的每个人 都了解得一清二楚
…I’ve gotten to know practically everyone on the block.
一群你难得一见的可爱的家伙
And a nicer bunch you’ll never meet.
在美国老家人人 都说我没有一点绘画的天赋
Back home everyone said I didn’t have any talent.
这里的人对我的看法可能一样…
They might be saying the same thing over here…
…不过法国人说话总算客气些
…but it sounds better in French.
我住在楼上
I live upstairs.
不,不是这里
No, not there.
再上一层
One flight up.
杰尔!
Jerry!
那是我的三个好朋友
Those are three of my pals.
艾蒂琳, 莫里斯和雅克
Etienne, Maurice and Jacques.
他们喜欢我是 因为我经常给他们美国泡泡糖
I’m their man because I give them American bubble gum.
我在巴黎拥有许许多多的朋友
I have a lot of good friends in Paris.
许许多多要好的朋友
A lot of very good friends.
而我就是其中之一
And I am one of them.
亚当库克是我的姓名
Adam Cook is my name.
我是个乐队钢琴演奏家
I’m a concert pianist.
如果用一种婉转的口气来说 我正在停职休假
That’s a pretentious way of saying I’m unemployed at the moment.
我们都住在同一种砖头堆里 包括伦布兰特
I live in the same brick pile with young Rembrandt.
这可不是我
That’s not me.
他太高兴了
He’s too happy.
我来这是靠奖学金
I’m here on a scholarship.
去年我赢得哈维克奖 被派到国外学习
Last year, I won the Hackenwall prize and was sent abroad to study.
那是我赢得的第八次奖学金 但你知道吗?
That’s the eighth fellowship I’ve won. And you know something?
我的思乡情绪越来越浓了
I’m getting pretty homesick.
不仅如此,我开始觉得 自己是这世界上最老的神童
Not only that, but I’m beginning to feel like the world’s oldest child prodigy.
告诉你有段时间我画光了奖学金 不得不找份工作糊口
One time I ran out of fellowships and had to go to work for a living.
不得不终止学业 因为我发现自己不再喜欢他们了…
I had to stop because I discovered I liked it…
…同时我也不想成为世俗的奴隶
…and I didn’t want to become a slave to the habit.
可以肯定那不是最好的结局
It’s not a pretty face, I grant you.
至于我软弱的外表之下 是我巨大的性格缺陷
But underneath its flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.
我热爱巴黎
I like Paris.
在这你不会撞上老熟人
It’s a place where you don’t run into old friends.
尽管这样对我来说不成问题
Although that’s never been one of my problems.
真奇怪我这儿有了个新朋友 并为他工作
Strangely enough, I made a friend over here once. I worked for him.
他叫亨利 波诺
His name was Henri Baurel.
就是他,这位法国的歌♥剧明星
You know, the French music hall star?
你还记得吗?
Do you remember him?
记得,那就是我
I do, because that’s me.
亚当是个好伙计 我希望他还跟着我
Adam was a fine accompanist. I wish he were still with me.
若能回到从前那该多好啊!
My, how nice to be in the old quarter!
瞧? 谁都懧得我
You see? Everybody recognizes me.
我猜我的摸样没什么变化
I guess I haven’t changed so much after all.
他们懧识我好久了
They’ve known me a long time.
但现在,请别误会
But now, don’t misunderstand.
我并不是说我变老了
I don’t mean to imply that I am old.
不过我只是…
I’m not. After all, I am only….
算了,有什么区别?
Well, what’s the difference?
不不,那不是我,我没那么年轻
No, that’s not me. I am not that young.
我只是说…
Let’s just say…
…我的经验足以让我 知道该如何分配我年轻的辛劳
…I am old enough to know what to do with my young feelings.
不是吗?
Right?
乔治斯!
Georges!
亨利 波诺!
Henri Baurel!
亨利!
Henri!
玛蒂尔德!
Mathilde!
亚当?
Adam?
接受我的敬意吧
And then taking that bow
你做得真不错
That’s nice work if you can get it
如果你懂得!
And if you get it, dites-moi!
为什么不告诉我为什么
Won’t you tell me how
你以前还要高一度唱
You used to sing it a tone higher.
我现在可是个大男孩 刚经历了变声期
l’m a big boy now. My voioe is changing.
我上来了? -好,我马上上来
Shall l oome up? -No, l’ll be right down.
嘿, 乔治斯, 煮点咖啡!
Hey, Georges, some ooffee!
亨利, 煮一壶上等的好咖啡
Henri, l’m going to make you an omelette la confiture.
不要吻我,我化过妆
Don’t kiss me. You’ll spoil my makeup.
看上去不错啊, 汉克
You look great, Hank.
怎么样? 在忙什么呢?
what’re you doing? Taking injeotions?
我现在身体越来越好了
Something much better.
听说你又有一部戏要上演了
l hear your show’s a big hit.
是的,自然的主题
lt is, naturellement.
什么时候来的? -去年三月
when did you get over? -Last March.
我跟你打电♥话♥,但没人接
l phoned you, but there was no answer.
我再想打电♥话♥,但不知你出哪了
l’d have phoned again, but l was afraid you might be in.
三月?我正巧不在巴黎
March? l wasn’t in Paris then.
莉莎和我外出去 看望我的几位法国朋友
Lise and l were visiting friends in Juan-les-Pins.
来点咖啡 -现在在干吗?
Some ooffee, please. -what are you working on?
还在老地方
Same old oonoert.
想什么时候辞职啊?
when will you give it?
想什么时候辞职再说吧
when l can’t figure out any more reasons not to.
来杯咖啡,谢谢
Some ooffee, please.
有一天晚上我带莉莎去剧院 听了威伦加斯的演出
l took Lise to hear weingarten play the other night.
整整两天她的眼睛里都闪烁着光芒
lt was her first oonoert, and her eyes were shining two days.
你带她看眼科,顺便问问谁是莉莎?
why didn’t you take her to an eye dootor? lnoidentally, who’s Lise?
这是第二次听见这名字
That’s the seoond time that name has oome up.
亚当,这几天我很高兴
Adam, l am very happy these days.
我给你看他的照片
l’ll show you her pioture.
你结婚了? -没有
Are you married? -Not yet.
很漂亮
Pretty. Very pretty.
跟你很配的吗
She looks familiar.
她是雅克鲍伐尔先生的女儿
She’s Jaoques Bouvier’s daughter.
雅克.鲍伐尔?
Jaoques Bouvier?
咖啡
My ooffee.
雅克参加抵抗组织被捕后
Poor Jaoques. He was caught in the Resistanoe.
我就瞒着德过占领军,让她住在我的家里
l took care of Lise all through the oooupation. She lived in my house.
你的家里?
Your house?
不正常
Shooking, but generous.
她只是个小女孩
She was a little girl then.
只是他长大以后我们才成了恋人
we only became in love after she left.
她对你来说是不是嫌小了点?
She’s a little young for you, isn’t she?
不,她长大了,有19岁了
No, not really. She’s 1 9.
她还会长,她怎么样?
She’s getting on. what’s she like?
瞧,她有很强的生命力,生活的情趣
well, she has great vitality and joie de vivre.
她很爱外出,陶醉在舞蹈中 他可以跳舞跳一个晚上
She loves to go out, have fun and danoe. She oould danoe all night.
听上去真累 十足的野丫头,恩?
Sounds tiresome. lKind of a wild kid, huh?
野丫头? 你怎么会这样想?
wild? whatever gave you that idea?
不,她是个单纯的女孩
No, she’s very simple.
非常单纯
Very simple.
她在迈森尼科尔开的香水店里工作
She works all day at the Maison Nioole, the perfume shop.
我看关于这个问题就不必继续再讨论了
l prefer not to disouss the matter any further.
给我正经些
Be serious.