但她也了解,这个故事里我们嵌入的
the conflicts that we had that were embedded
情感发展、背景环境和冲突爆发等诸因素,
in the story and felt that I understood her completely.
她觉得我完全理解她。
She didn’t have to tell me why she was angry
她不需要告诉我,她为什么生气
about things or why she was worried about me.
或者她为什么担心我。
It was all in the book.
一切都写在书里。
Amy and myself,we write about emotions
恩美和我,我们写情感
and relationships.
和关系。
And those are universal.
这些都是普世的。
So reading Amy,I realized that, wow,
所以读到恩美,我意识到,哇,
these people are just like me,
这些人就像我一样,
like,my Latin American family…
就像我的拉丁美洲家庭…
what’s the difference?
有什么区别呢?
Those grandmothers are like my grandmother
这些祖母就像我的祖母,
and that makes it so close,
这让它在很多方面如此亲密,
so personal,
如此私人,
so touching in so many ways.
如此感人。
And I think that’s what every reader feels
我想,这也是世界上任何地方
anywhere in the world in any language when they read Amy.
任何语言的读者,在读恩美作品时的感受。
You’re gonna make the curry potato?
你要做咖喱土豆吗?
– Curry chicken potato. – Ooh, yum.
-咖喱鸡土豆。—哦,好吃。
Then you have a garlic,onion, ginger.
那你要放的是大蒜,洋葱,姜。
It’s Chinese cooking.
这是中国菜。
Your vegetable have to hot to seal them.
你的蔬菜必须加热,才能加盖焖煮。
If you don’t seal them,
如果你不把它们焖烧,
you’ll come up not right.
你端上来时,就达不到效果了。
No respect, huh?
真了不起,嗯?
Well, good evening, everyone,
大家晚上好,
and thanks for coming out on this rainy night
感谢大家在旧金山这个雨夜
in San Francisco.
来到这里。
I want to welcome you to the 25th anniversary
欢迎大家参加喜福会
of The Joy Luck Club.
25周♥年♥庆♥。
How about a round of applause?
来点掌声怎么样?
I remember when The Joy Luck movie came out.
我还记得电影《喜福会》上映的时候。
Now, the Joy Luck movie probably
《喜福会》这部电影对她的影响
did more for her than the book.
可能比这本书更大。
And it had all beautiful Asian actresses in it,
而且里面都是漂亮的亚洲女演员,
that was the first one of its kind that I can recall.
那是我记得的第一部。
I gave you my good skin…
我把我的好皮肤遗传给了你…
I must have seen it five times on the big screen.
我在大银幕上看了至少五遍。
This was back in Texas,
那是在德克萨斯州,
I was still living in Houston,
我还住在休斯顿,
and all my friends were white,
我所有的朋友都是白人,
but I was so proud to show them this movie,
但我很自豪能给他们看这部电影,
you know, of English speaking contemporary Asians.
你知道,讲英语的当代亚裔。
Because after the party,
因为派对结束后,
we’re going to Lake Tahoe,
我们要去塔霍湖,
and he actually asked her to come with us.
他邀请她和我们一起去。
– Oh, great! – You’ll have a great time.
-哦,太棒了! -你会玩得很开心的。
Where’s Jennifer?
詹妮弗在哪儿?
Oh, her Auntie Joan is putting her down for a nap.
她的琼阿姨在哄她睡午觉。
When I started to act in Hollywood,
当我开始在好莱坞表演时,许
many films were just coolies,or dragon ladies,
多电影都是关于苦力,或者母夜叉,
railroad workers,restaurant owners.
铁路工人,餐馆老板。
And I’m happy that
很高兴这部电影
this film portrayed Chinese as they are.
描绘了真实的中国人。
I really didn’t register
我真的没有意识到,
how big this movie was gonna be,
这部电影会有这么大的影响力,
and what a long-lasting effect it would have
并且,它会在当时,对我们所有人的
on all of our lives at the time.
生活产生如此持久的影响。
Amy had the very straight bowl cut,
恩美剪的是非常直的碗形发型,
and such a woman of style and very, very…
她是这样一个有格调的女人,而且非常…
– So down to Earth. – Very down to Earth,
-那么接地气。 -非常接地气,
but with a certain gravitas.
但又有一定的庄重。
When I first started writing,
当我第一次开始写作时,
I made this list of things
我列出了我作为一个作家应该成为
about who I should be as a writer
什么样的人的清单,
because I knew that it was very likely I would get
因为我知道我很可能会
sucked into all kinds of things
被各种各样的事情所吸引,
and lose my ways as a writer.
迷失了作为一个作家的方向。
So one of them was to make writing my focus,
其中之一就是把写作作为我的工作重点,
don’t get involved with things like film.
而不是参与电影之类的事情。
Ron Bass, who is a screenwriter,
罗恩.巴斯,一个剧作家,
he said, “Well, why don’t you take a scene and write it?”
他说:“嗯,你为什么不选一个场景写下来呢?”
And I said, “No, I’m not getting involved with this.”
我说,“不,我不想涉足这个领域。”
I said, but I won’t write the screenplay without you
我说,但我不会在没有你的情况下写剧本,
because it is not just a wonderful book,
因为这不仅是一本精彩的书,
it is an iconic book.
而且是一本表现型的书。
It is a book that has meaning to people of literature
这是一本对文学工作者
and people who are in your community.
和你所在社区的人,都有意义的书。
I need your voice.
我需要你发出声音。
And he said, “Well, just try it, you know.”
他说,“那就试试吧,你知道的。”
“I’ll be writing it,but you just do one scene,
“我来写剧本,但你只负责写一个场景戏,
and I think you will learn something
我想你会学到如何
about earning a scene.”
掌握一个场景戏。”
Now, that’s like heroin for a writer, like,
这对作家来说就像海♥洛♥因♥,
earn the emotions of a scene.
就像在一个场景中获得情感。
So I thought, “Well, okay,I could do one scene.”
所以我想,“好吧,我可以拍一场戏。”
And it went from there.
从那里开始。
And, action.
现在,开拍。
Here, she’s got a book that is iconic.
在这里,她完成了一本表现型的书。
And I would make suggestions,
我会给她建议,
and she loved suggestions.
她喜欢建议。
And she would love to talk it through.
她很乐意和你商量。
She had no pride of anything like,
她没有任何骄傲,
you know,well, the public is going
你知道,公众会期待
to expect that this and this.
这个或那个。
No. Just what tells the story the best.
不。只要能最好地讲述故事。
My grades, my job,
我的成绩,我的工作,
not getting married, everything you expected of me.
不打算结婚,所有你对我的期望。
Not expect anything.
不是什么都指望。
Never expect.
永远不要去指望。
Only hope.
只是希望。
Only hoping best for you.
只希望你能过的更好。
I remember one night I went to the market
我记得有一天晚上我去了市场,
and after I’ve shopping, I go to my car,
买♥♥完东西后,我走向我的车,
I see one big man ran to me.
我看到一个大个子男人向我跑过来。
I was scared, and I was trying to holding on my…
我很害怕,我试着抓住我的…
my purse and ready for an attack or something.
我的钱包,准备好遭遇袭击什么的。
And the man said,”No, wait a minute,
那个人说:“不,等一下,
I just want to say…to thank you so much
我只是想说…非常感谢
for your character in The Joy Luck Club.”
你在《喜福会》中的角色。”
“I cried and I cried.I just lost my mother.”
“我哭了一遍又一遍。我刚刚失去了我的母亲。”
“I lost my mother.And I see your scene,
“我失去了母亲。我看到了你的场景,
and I just want to say thank you.”
我只想说谢谢你。”
So I drive home,and tear came to my eyes.
于是我开车回家,泪水涌上了我的眼眶。
I realized that Joy Luck Club,
我意识到喜福会的故事
how wonderful the story is.
是多么精彩。
It’s about the great relationship,
它是关于伟大的关系,
mother-daughter,or mother-children.
母亲和女儿,或母亲和孩子。
It doesn’t matter that we are Asian or not Asian,
我们是不是亚洲人并不重要,
everybody has a mother.
每个人都有母亲。
June, since your baby time,
琼恩,当你还是婴儿时,
I wear this next to my heart.
我就把这个戴在胸口。
Now you wear next to yours.
现在,你把它贴身戴着。
It will help you know…
它会帮助你感知到…
I see you.
我看见你。
I see you.
我理解你。
That bad crab,only you try to take it.
那只坏螃蟹,只有你试着吃。…
Everybody else want best quality.
其他人都要挑那最好的吃。
When we went to the premiere in Hollywood,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!