“Sir, we need you.
现在是屏弃庸事
“If ever there was a time for a man to cast aside his daily trappings
奋起作战的关键时刻了
“and array himself for battle, that time has come.”
谢谢
Thank you.
西塞罗求克劳迪亚 斯保卫共和国时说
“Cicero once said, appealing to Claudius in defense of the Republic,
战争之胜负依赖于
“that the whole result of this entire war
最勇敢和优秀之人的生命
“depends on the life of one most brave and excellent man.
如今 此案依赖于两人
“In our time, in this instance, I believe it depends on two.
一个是牢里 勇敢的辛克
“A courageous man, at present in irons in New Haven, named Cinque,
一个就是您 先生
“and you, sir.
您忠诚的律师 罗杰·鲍德温
“Sincerely, Roger S. Baldwin, attorney-at-law.”
抱歉 塔培安先生
Mr. Tippings, excuse me a moment, please.
有什么话 辛克说什么
-Any word from Mr. Adams? -What did Cinque say?
他不肯理睬你
He won’t talk to you.
不肯理睬我
He won’t talk to me?
对
No.
你的英语学得怎么样了
How’s your English coming?
大概不比我的门迪语流利
No better than my Mende, I suppose.
辛克 我知道
You know, Cinque, I realize this isn’t something
你不愿多想
you necessarily want to think about,
但你想过没有 只有我肯帮你
but has it occurred to you that I’m all you’ve got?
正因如此
Because as it happens,
我的律师业务一落千丈
since my practice has completely deteriorated in the past months,
我也只剩下你可以帮我了
you’re all I’ve got.
瞧 这是我 看到了吗
See, this is me. You see?
你知道这是怎么回事吗
You see? You see how this works?
这个 辛克 是给我的
And this here, Cinque, is for me.
都是死亡恐吓信
More death threats.
签字的人中竟有我的客户
Some of them signed. By my own clients, no less.
应该说是我以前的客户
I should say former clients, shouldn’t I?
没人聘请 还有一个后果
There is one more consequence to having no clientele to speak of.
就是能自♥由♥自在地
I am now free
坐在这里等你来找我
to sit here as long as it takes for you to acknowledge me.
你懂这个字 是吗 自♥由♥
Yes, you understood that word, didn’t you? “Free.”
那好
All right.
我们就坐着好了
Then we’ll just sit.
凯撒
Caesar.
西赛罗是向尤利乌斯·凯撒
Cicero’s appeal was to Julius Caesar,
而不是向克劳迪亚斯求助的
not Claudius.
克劳迪亚斯一百年后才出世
Claudius would not be born for another hundred years.
你说得对 他们中的一个
You were right, there was one of them.
是他吗
Is that him?
是 总统先生
Yes, Mr. President.
请把门锁打开
Please unlock this door.
15年来亚当斯一直 跟废奴主义者调情
Adams has flirted with the abolitionists for 15 years,
但从来没带一个回家
but has yet to take one home from the dance.
他多大年纪了
How old is he anyway?
老到不能带任何人回家
Old enough to know he’s too old to take anyone home from the dance.
我听说开国会时 他睡了大半天
I hear he sleeps through three-quarters of the sessions on the Hill.
我们看看 总统 朦胧议员
Let’s see. President, slumbering congressman from Massachusetts,
在等待下一个案子到来的律师
jail-house lawyer, one waits with great anticipation for what’s next.
-那会是什么滋味 -什么
-Well, what must that be like? -What?
无论毕生有多大的成就
Knowing all your life, whatever your accomplishments,
人们只记得你是一位伟大父亲的儿子
you’ll only be remembered as the son of a great father.
人们只记得约翰·昆西·亚当斯
The only thing John Quincy Adams will be remembered for
中间的名字
is his middle name.
有什么比当过总统更可怜的
I wonder, is there anything as pathetic as an ex-President?
我们正在谈论约翰
I was talking about John…
-先生 -什么
-Sir. -Yes?
辛克叫我问您
Cinque has asked me to ask you
您是否考虑过管辖区的因素
whether you have thought about the question of jurisdiction.
什么
What?
因为他们把船远远驶到公海
That since they took over the ship far out to sea,
公海不归西班牙或美国管辖
and since neither Spain nor America owns the sea,
为什么那个条约还有效
how is it that the treaty applies?
告诉他条约不受管辖区限制
Tell him the treaty recognizes no jurisdictional limitations.
-怎么啦 -他会问我为什么
-Well? -He will ask me why.
告诉他 是我说的
Because I said so.
抱歉 先生
Excuse me, sir.
什么
Yes?
辛克想知道
Cinque would like to know
他是不是雷兹和蒙茨的财产
that if he is the legal property of Ruiz and Montes,
该条约怎样在两国中使用
then how does the treaty apply, since it is between America and Spain?
或其公民中使用
Or their citizens.
条约中写明适用于美西国民
“Or their citizens” is included in the language, if he must know.
谢谢您 先生
Thank you, sir.
但他的问题提得好
It’s a good point, though.
英国与西非之间有没有条约
Does Great Britain have any treaties with West Africa
优先于该条约
which may override those between Spain and America?
没有
No.
英国与美国之间有没有条约
Does Great Britain have any treaties with America
可以优先于这
which might override those between Spain and…
没有
No.
美国与西非之间有条约吗
Does the American government have any treaties with West Africa?
没有
No.
西班牙呢
Does Spain have any treaties with West Africa?
没有
No!
康涅狄格州联邦与西非有条约吗
Does the Commonwealth of Connecticut have any treaties with West Africa?
没有 没有 别问了
No, no, no, no! Now stop this!
给他松绑
Unshackle him.
抱歉 先生 上头有命令
I’m sorry, sir. I’m under strict orders to ensure the…
请给他松绑
Unshackle him, please.
是 总统先生
Yes, Mr. President.
这是蝴蝶兰 我从中国带回来的
This is a Phalaenopsis, moth orchid, I brought over from China.
这盆迎春花来自英国
And this is a primrose from an English garden.
这盆箭百合来目法国南部
And this spear lily, from the south of France.
这盆诺氏蔷薇
This is my rose, Blush Noisette.
来自于华盛顿地区花♥园♥
This came all the way from Washington DC,
但别告诉任何人
but don’t tell anyone.
掀起来吧
Go on, go on.
非洲紫罗兰 来之不易
African violet. I can’t tell you how difficult that was to come by.
你知道你要上最高法♥院♥
Now, you understand you’re going to the Supreme Court.
知道为什么吗
Do you know why?
他们决定在那里杀掉我们
It is the place where they finally kill us.
不会 不过有可能
No. Well, yes, that may be true, too.
我指的不是这个原因
That’s not what I meant.
是一个更重要的原因
No, there is another reason and a more important reason.
或许对我们比对你们更重要
Although, I’ll admit that perhaps more so to us than you.
好 不要
All right, don’t… Yeah.
辛克
Cinque.
你知道我是谁吗 有没有人告诉你我是谁
Do you know who I am? Has anyone told you about me?
嗯
Yes.
他们告诉过你什么
What have they told you?
你是首领
That you are a chief.
我曾是首领 对
I was a chief, yes.
一日是首领 永远是首领
A chief cannot become anything less than a chief, even in death.
可惜这里不一样 辛克
How I wish such were true here, Cinque.
非你想像所及
You’ve no idea.
他尝试明智 强势地管理 但…
One tries to govern wisely, strongly, but…
他设法改善村民的生活
One tries to govern in a way that betters the lives of one’s villagers.
设法…打死狮子
One tries to kill the lion.
但不幸的是他未必总是明智坚强
Unfortunately, one isn’t always wise enough or strong enough.
时间一过
Time passes
机会也就消失了
and the moment is gone.
听着 辛克 听着
Now, listen, Cinque. Listen.
我们要把你的官司
We’re about to bring your case
交给我国最高法♥院♥来裁决
before the highest court in our land.
我们马上要跟一头狮子搏斗
We’re about to do battle with a lion
这有可能把我国撕成两半
that is threatening to rip our country in two.
我们这边的武器只是一块石头
And all we have on our side is a rock.
这是历史上的大冲突