I ask it again.
他们的原籍是不是非洲
Were they born in Africa?
我相信是
I believe they were.
因此女王陛下之所有权无效
As such, Her Catholic Majesty’s claims of ownership have no merit.
两位军官
Neither, of course, do those for salvage
米德和葛尼的申诉也无效
made by Lieutenants Meade and Gedney.
这简直无法容忍♥
This is outrageous!
我现在下令逮捕和关押
I hereby order the immediate arrest
雷兹和蒙茨先生
and detention of Señors Ruiz and Montes
按联邦军事法律
by federal marshals
其罪名是贩卖♥♥奴隶
on the charge of slave-trading!
好
Yes!
释放这批非洲人
The release of the Africans
由本国政♥府♥出资
and their conveyance, by this government
越早越好
at her earliest convenience and expense,
将他们送回非洲家园
back to their homes in Africa!
好
Yes!
我们赢了 乔德森 我们赢了
We’ve done it, Joadson! We’ve done it! Yes!
-柯维 快告诉他们 -我觉得他们知道
-Covey, tell them! Tell them now! -I think they know.
瞧他们啊
Look at ’em.
女王陛下大感不惑的是
What’s most bewildering to Her Majesty
美国法庭之傲慢独♥立♥
is this arrogant independence of the American courts.
但你管不了法庭就管不了国家
After all, if you cannot rule the courts, you cannot rule.
卡德龙先生 任何一个真正 的美国人都会告诉你
Señor Calderon, as any true American will tell you,
是我们法♥院♥的独♥立♥ 给了我们自♥由♥
it’s the independence of our courts that keeps us free.
约翰…欢迎 欢迎
John, glad you’re here.
-福塞斯先生 -总统…
-Mr. Forsyth. -The President…
总统先生 卡胡恩参议员来了
Mr. President? Senator Calhoun is here.
约翰
John!
我正担心你不能出席呢
I was afraid you weren’t going to be able to join us.
你大可不必担心 先生
You may put that fear to rest, Mr. President.
哦 谢谢你 请坐
Thank you. Please.
容我介绍西班牙大使卡德龙
I’d like you to meet Señor Calderon, ambassador from Spain.
你说过他不会来
I thought you said he wasn’t coming.
他说他不来了
He said he wasn’t.
你看 卡德龙先生
You see, Señor Calderon,
我国北方有越来越多的人
there’s a growing number of people in this part of the country
视我们南方人
that regard us in the South
不仅仅是地理位置低下
as not only geographically beneath them.
他们忽视了一个事实
They ignore the fact
奴隶制度根深蒂固 盘根错节
that slavery is so interwoven into the fabric of this society,
消灭奴隶制等于消灭我们民族
that to destroy it would be to destroy us as a people.
北方人只认定奴隶制不道德
It’s immoral. That’s all they know.
因而我们也不道德
Therefore, so are we.
不道德而且低劣
Immoral and inferior.
我们有一方面低劣
We are inferior in one area.
那就是做生意不够精通
We’re not as proficient in the art of gain.
我们不及北方那样富有
We’re not as wealthy as our northern neighbors.
我们仍在挣扎求存
We’re still struggling.
现在要夺去我们的命脉
Take away our life’s blood now…
后果如何 不问而知
Well, we all know what happens then,
南方与北方
North and South.
他们成为主人 而我们是奴隶
They become the masters, and we the slaves.
但我们会奋起抗争的
But not without a fight.
卡胡恩参议员太谦虚了
Senator Calhoun is being modest.
他有一样很在行…夸大事实
He’s not inferior in another area. The art of exaggeration.
卡德龙先生 你不妨自问
Ask yourself, Señor Calderon,
哪个法庭愿意点起燎原之火
what court wants to be responsible for the spark that ignites the firestorm?
哪位总统愿意在任期内
What President wants to be in office
见到国家四分五裂
when it comes crashing down around him?
除了该法庭外 前所未有
Certainly no court before this one.
除了这位总统 前所未有
Certainly no President before this one.
因此
So,
请你体谅我们
judge us not too harshly, sir,
请女王陛下也体谅我们
and bid Her Majesty like,
我们的法庭和总统所必须裁定的
because the real determination our courts and our President must make
不是这一群非洲的乌合之众
is not whether this ragtag group of Africans
有没有动武
raised swords against their enemy,
而是…我们是否必须动武
but rather, must we?
等一下 乔德森先生
Come along, Mr. Joadson.
这个消息
This news…
哦 当然是个坏消息 可是
Well, of course, it’s bad news, but the truth is
他们可能对我们的 生死斗争更有价值
they may be more valuable to our struggle in death than in life.
牺牲 乔德森先生
Martyrdom, Mr. Joadson.
自从有基♥督♥教以来
From the dawn of Christianity,
最能推动改革的就是牺牲
we have seen no stronger power for change.
这是无可否认的事实
Well, you know it’s true.
事实上 塔培安先生
What is true, Mr. Tappan,
请相信我 我的确见过…
and believe me when I tell you I’ve seen this,
有些憎恨奴隶制度
is that there are some men whose hatred of slavery
至极的人
is stronger than anything
更憎恨奴隶本身
except for the slave himself.
如果你想激起这种憎恨 先生
If you wish to inspire such hatred in a man, Mr. Joadson,
以同样的立场与他交谈 你就会成功
speak to him in that fashion and it may come true.
我们的总统 我们的大人物
Our President, our big, big man,
已向最高法♥院♥上诉了
has appealed the decision to our Supreme Court.
这是什么意思
What does that mean?
这个案子要重审
We have to try the case again.
我知道难以理解 辛克
Now, I know it’s hard to understand, Cinque.
我自己也不理解
I don’t understand, for that matter.
你说过会有判决书
You said there would be a judgment,
我们会获得自♥由♥
and if we won the judgment we would go free!
不 我说过在州法庭上我们打赢了
No, no. What I said is that we won it at the state level.
-不 不 -你不是那么说的
-No, no, no. -That’s what you said!
我说这步赢了 就继续打下去
What I said, that if we won it at the state level, we then go on.
你是这样说的吗
That’s what you said!
-你明明说过 -好吧 我说过
-That’s what you said. -All right, yeah. Yes, I said it!
但我不该那样说 我应该说
I said it, but I shouldn’t have. What I should’ve said…
-我不能翻译这句 -你不能翻译什么
-I can’t translate that. -You can’t translate what?
我不能翻”应该”
I can’t translate “should.”
门迪语没有”应该”吗
You saying there’s no word in Mende for “should”?
没有 只有做或者不做
No. Either you do something, or you don’t do it.
我的意思是…意思是
What I meant to say… What I meant to say?
别讲你的意思
Not in the way you mean it.
设法明白我的意思
Try and understand me.
“意思”和”应该”都一样 你误解了
“Meant” is the same as “should.” You’re misunderstanding the language.
辛克 辛克
Cinque, Cinque. Cinque!
请你设法理解我的话
Listen to me. Listen to me. Understand what I’m saying.
审判前我对你说的
What I said to you before the judgment…
跟实情差不多
What I said to you before the judgment is almost how it works here.
差不多
Almost.
差不多
Almost.
对 辛克 但不完全一样
Yes, Cinque. But not always.
对 这就是现在的情形
Yes. And that’s what’s happened.
这里究竟是什么地方
What kind of place is this?
这里几乎说话算话 法律几乎发挥作用
Where you almost mean what you say? Where laws almost work?
这种地方可怎么生活
How can you live like that?
尊敬的麻省众议员
“To His Excellency, John Quincy Adams,
约翰·昆西·亚当斯先生
“Massachusetts member, House of Representatives.
据乔德森先生称
“I have understood from Mr. Joadson
您已经充分了解阿米斯 塔德号♥上非洲人的困境
“that you are acquainted with the plight of the Amistad Africans.
故此 您已经知悉
“If that is true, then you are aware that we have been,
每次庭讯 我们均成功地进行了辩护
“at every step, successful in our presentation of their case.
但尽管如此
“Yet despite this,
尽管范布伦总统明知自己连任无望
“and despite the unlikelihood of President Van Buren’s re-election,
他仍将对我们有利的判决
“he has appealed our most recent favorable decision
向最高法♥院♥提出上诉
“to the highest court in the land.
估计您十分清楚
“As I’m sure you are well aware,
在最高法♥院♥法官之畔
“seven of nine of these Supreme Court justices
九有七人系南方奴隶主
“are themselves Southern slave owners.
先生 我们需要您的帮助