I mean, I was a nobody, and he said…
“篮球就不会这样 小子”
“Basketball was never like this, Skip.”
没错 他都叫我”小子”
Yeah. Yeah, that’s right He called me Skip
我哥死了
My brother’s dead
我从佛罗里达州来参加他的葬礼
That’s why I, uh, came up from Florida, for his funeral
而不是来参加同学会
Not for this reunion thing
瑞典仔是个…
The– the Swede is…
注定要被
Just a sweetheart whose fate
疯子毁掉一生的好人
was to get himself fucked over by some real crazies
我哥是难得一见的大好人
My brother, the best you’re going to get in this country,
却卷入非他挑起的战争
got caught in a war he didn’t start
杰瑞
Jerry…
我听不懂你在说什么
I have no idea what you’re talking about
听不懂?你不知道吗?你有活过1960年代吗?
No? You don’t know? Were you alive during the ’60s?
我当时不在这儿
Well, I wasn’t here I was… you know…
我60年代几乎不在国内
I was out of country for most of the ’60s
大概只有你不知道了
Oh, I guess you’re the last person to hear, huh?
你是知名作家却不知道这件大事
The famous writer, the last one to hear the big story
这件大事到底是什么?
What is it, then, th– this big story?
你知道他和朵恩有个小孩
Well, you know he and Dawn had a kid
你在她出生后有写信告诉我
You wrote to me after she was born
她小时候很可爱 可惜她口吃 这没什么
Adorable when she was little So, she had a stutter, that was nothing
根本不重要
To hell with that
但后来玛丽长大了
But then Merry got older and when she did…
我叫他别再管她
I told him. I told him, “Let her go
否则他会庸人自扰到丢掉性命
Otherwise, it will rot your gut and take your life, too.”
但他就是不听
But… he couldn’t
结果我哥就这样走了
And now I’m burying my brother
她是个好孩子
She was a good kid…
杰瑞说得对
Jerry was correct
我这个知名作家
Here I was, the famous writer,
却不知道这故事
the last one to know the story
但现在我想知道来龙去脉
But now I wanted all of it
我想听听这个让我们
I wanted to hear what had become of the young man
期望很高的年轻人到底怎么了
from whom we had expected everything
我们的英雄
Our hero
我们的肯尼迪
Our Kennedy
爷爷!
Grandpa
爷爷! – 怎么了 玛丽?
Grandpa – Yes, Merry, what?
珍小姐要生宝宝了 爷爷
Lady Jane’s going to have a calf, grandpa
希望是只小母牛
I hope it’s a heifer
小母牛是什么?我是纽华克来的
What’s a heifer, sweetheart? You’re talking to a guy from Newark
就是女生 爷爷
It’s a girl, grandpa
原来是女生
oh, a girl!
它一定会长得很像伯爵
I bet it’s going to look just like Count
毕竟是被它骑了才会生宝宝
That’s who mounted her
被它骑? 小女孩应该这样讲话吗?
“Mounted”? ls that a way for a young girl to talk?
本来就是这样 爸
That’s what it’s called, Dad
不然要她怎么说?
Yeah, what’s she supposed to say?
做♥爱♥吗?那是牛耶
“Make love”? It’s a cow
我儿子养牛干嘛?
And what does my son need with cows?
他们为何要这么远离文明?
Why do they need to live this far from civilization?
我无意冒犯本地人 欧卡特伉俪
No offense to the locals, Mr. Orcutt, Mrs. Orcutt, but let’s be candid
但老实说 这里都是忠实共和党员
This is all rock-ribbed Republican out here
这倒是真的 – 卢 少讲两句
That’s true. That’s so – Lou, don’t start
我不是说了吗?
What did I say?
这里是荒郊野外 三K党的地盘
We’re out in the middle of nowhere This is Ku Klux Klan country
爸 别再说了
Dad, will you stop?
我也不知道我哥为何想住在这儿
I don’t see why my brother wants to live here either,
但养牛不会把这里变成密西西比州
but a couple of cows doesn’t make it Mississippi
这是摩里斯郡 – 爷爷!
This is Morris County – Grandpa!
杰瑞说得对 爸
Jerry’s right, Dad
没人像你这样想了
No one thinks like you anymore
我们想住哪儿都可以 这是美国
We can live where we want This is America
纽华克也在美国 – 爷爷!
Newark is in America – Grandpa!
什么事?说吧 宝贝
Yes, darling What? Yes, sweetheart
陪我去谷仓看看伯爵
Come to the barn to see Count
等你见到它就知道了 它很…
Wait till you meet him He’s so…
我很喜欢玛丽
I adore Merry
我觉得她很特别
I think she’s very special
谢谢你 – 我们都是这么觉得
Thank you – We all do
她跟我们说她喜欢来这里
She likes coming here She told us that
对 非常喜欢
Very much
有时候她来这里我会问她…
Sometimes when she’s here, I ask her,
“玛丽 如果你不再结巴”
“Merry, what terrible thing do you think would happen
“会有什么可怕的结果?”
if you stopped stuttering?
“你觉得你♥爸♥妈会怎么想?”
How do you think your father or your mother would feel if you stopped?”
但她就是结巴
But she can’t stop
我觉得玛丽的结巴是一种策略
I think Merry’s stuttering is a strategy
什么样的策略?
A strategy for what?
避免和美丽的妈妈竞争
For avoiding competition with the beautiful mother,
美丽的纽泽西小姐妈妈
the beautiful Miss New Jersey mother,
竞争长相英俊的爸爸
for winning the handsome father
这是因为我们的长相?
This is about our looks?
医生… – 希拉
Doctor… – Sheila
希拉 结巴不是玛丽的选择
Sheila, stuttering isn’t something that Merry chooses
结巴让她很辛苦
It makes her suffer
或许是利多于弊
Maybe the benefits outweigh the suffering
带我们很难受 玛丽的妈妈很难受
But it’s killing us to see her It’s killing Merry’s mother
或许这是好处之一
Maybe that’s one of the benefits
你们有没有想过玛丽有多辛苦?
Have you thought about how difficult it must be for Merry
有个因为美貌这种琐事
growing up the daughter of someone who’s had so much attention
而如此引人注目的母亲?
for something as trivial as beauty?
或许玛丽结巴就是要阻止别人问她
Maybe the reason Merry stutters is to stop people from asking her,
想不想和妈妈一样当纽泽西小姐
“Do you want to be Miss New Jersey just like your Mommy?”
谁会这样问她?又没人这样问她
But who asks her that? Nobody asks her that
我不是纽泽西小姐 我是她妈妈
I’m not Miss New Jersey, for God’s sake. I’m her mother
只是生在完美主义家庭的压力…
It’s just that in a highly-pressured perfectionist family, you–
谁说我们是完美主义家庭?
Who says we’re a highly-perfectionist family?
我们是平凡的家庭
We’re an ordinary family
造成她结巴的生理因素是什么?
What about the physiological basis for her stuttering?
我看过一篇文章…
I read an article where…
我可以告诉你们生理构造的因素
I can give you organic theories if that’s what you want,
但我觉得这样帮不了你们
but that’s not the way I’ve found I can be most effective
我就叫你穿鞋嘛
I told you to wear your shoes
你又没告诉我这里的石头这么尖锐
You didn’t tell me about how sharp the rocks would be
不要!
No!
爸!
Dad!
我长得像奥黛莉赫本吗?
Do I look– look like Audrey Hepburn?
更漂亮 你长得像玛丽黎沃夫
Better. You look like Meredith Levov
你会不会…
Do you…
…想妈妈? – 当然会
miss Mother? – Sure I do
我也是
Me, too
她想来 可惜不能来
She wanted to come She couldn’t
我知道
L– I know
珍小姐随时要生了 妈妈要陪它
Lady Jane’s going to have her calf any day now. Mom had to be there
我说我知道 – 她下次会一起来
Yes, Dad. I know – She’ll come next time
你在这里玩得开心吗?
Have you had a nice time here?
和…和你一起?
With you?
不开心才怪
Terrible
两人流浪去大开眼界
♪ Two drifters off to see the world ♪
四处皆有美景看不尽
♪ There’s such a lot of world to see ♪
我们同在追寻彩虹尽头
♪ We’re after the same rainbow’s end ♪
等在转角的街头
♪ Waitin’ around the bend ♪
我的儿时好友
♪ My huckleberry friend ♪
月河与我
♪ Moon river and me ♪
这个拿去送给妈妈
Hold these for your mother
爸…
Daddy…
吻…吻我
Kiss me

No
真正地吻我

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!